PDA

View Full Version : CBS Predicts the WCC: ?

gonzagafan62
07-13-2015, 08:59 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25239861/summer-school-gonzaga-loses-guards-but-still-reigns-supreme-in-wcc

I am a little surprised that they have Pepperdine at #3. I didn't know they actually paid attention to us. But yes, this is about what I think. Different press this time. Not all about Zags.

Mr Vulture
07-13-2015, 09:42 AM
I think its pretty hard to argue with any of this frankly. Not much I would change..in fact, nothing stands out to me.

CDC84
07-13-2015, 09:48 AM
No mention of Eric McClellan

gonzagafan62
07-13-2015, 09:52 AM
No mention of Eric McClellan

Hes going to be big, but when you are talking about the conference as a whole, I don't think you are going to mention the 4th option on a teams backcourt.

By the way, he's a nice 4th option. A VERY Nice one.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-13-2015, 10:20 AM
MARK. IT. DOWN. Pepperdine will finish 2nd in the WCC. Stacy Davis is a hoss and they got some really good young guards. Had they been healthy all last season I bet they win 21 or 22 games. Plus the way they stepped up in big league games against us and BYU.

Love what Marty Wilson has going on down there, I hope more of the low end WCC schools take his lead.

CDC84
07-13-2015, 10:31 AM
I don't know if I agree that Emac is a 4th option in the backcourt. He's likely to be the team's starting off guard, and I wouldn't be surprised if he led all the perimeters in scoring on some nights depending on the matchups.

The reason why Eric is going to be a vital part of this team is his defense. He could end up being one of the best perimeter defenders in the country next season. I don't know if I have seen a Zag guard move his feet better on defense since Few took over as a head coach. And I say that having never seen EMac fully healthy as a Zag.

I anticipate that we are going to see more of a emphasis on defense with the guards with this team than with any Few team. He finally has a team with zero undersized guards. With all the size in the middle, the guards will be able to extend. Moreover, there just isn't a proven scorer in the backcourt.....so what they lose by not having a sharpshooter like Pangos they need to make up for in other areas.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-13-2015, 10:39 AM
MARK. IT. DOWN. Pepperdine will finish 2nd in the WCC. Stacy Davis is a hoss and they got some really good young guards. Had they been healthy all last season I bet they win 21 or 22 games. Plus the way they stepped up in big league games against us and BYU.

Love what Marty Wilson has going on down there, I hope more of the low end WCC schools take his lead.

I'll go the other way and predict they finish sub-.500 in the WCC. I feel this happens every few years in the WCC... a team plays decent ball with a bunch of young guys then they flop the following year because everyone is actually paying attention to them. I think they could be pretty good, but I have fallen for this with WCC teams before. We're about to find out how good of a coach Marty is.

cggonzaga
07-13-2015, 10:40 AM

Love what Marty Wilson has going on down there, I hope more of the low end WCC schools take his lead

One of the rare things I've agreed with you about. Pepp could be a surprise NCAA team next year.

He's likely to be the team's starting off guard,

Is this your opinion or insider information? My personal belief is Eric is more valuable to us off the bench as he can play all 3 perimeter positions. Even coming off the bench, I'd be suprised if he wasn't playing 25-30 mpg.

gonzagafan62
07-13-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't know if I agree that Emac is a 4th option in the backcourt. He's likely to be the team's starting off guard, and I wouldn't be surprised if he led all the perimeters in scoring on some nights depending on the matchups.

The reason why Eric is going to be a vital part of this team is his defense. He could end up being one of the best perimeter defenders in the country next season. I don't know if I have seen a Zag guard move his feet better on defense since Few took over as a head coach. And I say that having never seen EMac fully healthy as a Zag.

I anticipate that we are going to see more of a emphasis on defense with the guards with this team than with any Few team. He finally has a team with zero undersized guards. With all the size in the middle, the guards will be able to extend. Moreover, there just isn't a proven scorer in the backcourt.....so what they lose by not having a sharpshooter like Pangos they need to make up for in other areas.

The only reason why I say fourth option is because the other three are starting (IMO anyway): Draino, Perkins, Melson. They mentioned all of them, and the frountcourt obviously. I didn't say Emac was invaluable, but I would like to keep part of our team a secret. Emac is sneaky good, and I would be surprised if he didn't play at least 20 minutes +. Probably a bit more than that. He was a key cog in the mix last year in the tourney, and he will be again this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play key roles at the end of games, again.

CDC84
07-13-2015, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if almost every college basketball writer out there fails to mention one of GU's guards in their team preview. It's just going to be that way until people get used to seeing the team without Pangos/Bell.

gonzagafan62
07-13-2015, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if almost every college basketball writer out there fails to mention one of GU's guards in their team preview. It's just going to be that way until people get used to seeing the team without Pangos/Bell.

:cheers:

I think you may have nailed it.

cjm720
07-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Hes going to be big, but when you are talking about the conference as a whole, I don't think you are going to mention the 4th option on a teams backcourt.

By the way, he's a nice 4th option. A VERY Nice one.

4th or 5th on the team maybe, but I suspect he starts....

gonzagafan62
07-13-2015, 11:15 AM
4th or 5th on the team maybe, but I suspect he starts....

He very well could, but I think for the betterment of the future of Gonzaga long term, we should do: Perkins, Melson, Dranginis.

Zagdawg
07-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Pepperdine has qty 9 upperclassmen on the roster--they will be pretty good this year ---they also get UCLA at UCLA --that will be an interesting game for them.

gonzagafan62
07-13-2015, 11:26 AM
To clear up what I'm really tryin to say here: this might be the one time we et to see what Melson has as a starter. I want to find out how good he is. We already know he's a great player. But we have NWG coming and boy that will fun to see if he earns Fews trust and we could possibly run three guards with our talented big men. That would be sweet.

Maybe I'm just walking the plank here LOL. Either way I'm trusting Mark Few as always to make the best decision possible. That's why I'm at home watching instead of coaching. Speculation is free!

jazzdelmar
07-13-2015, 12:44 PM
GU's annual purgatory. More irrelevant than ever before.

zag67
07-13-2015, 01:09 PM
I only wish that October would get here fast. And that is not a good idea, because I am asking to become 70 years old. But I believe that the coaches will do a super job of molding this group into a winner. But here is my opinion.

Bigs:
starters - PK and Wiltjer. Then you have Sabonis come in after the first foul or after watching a few minutes. Edwards will get some time, but this will be his year to watch, learn and play when we are in destroy mode.

Point Guard:
Starter - Perkins with backup of McClellan

Shooting guard:
Starter: Melson with backup of Alberts, and Dranginis

Small forward:
Starter: McClellan with backup of Dranginis and Alberts

This set of 1 through 3 is taller than most teams we have ever had, can all play defense, and also all have different offensive skills. Depending on the team we play a different set of guards may get more playing time. We have speed, ball handling, rebounding and shooters. Perkins or McClellan will be the navigator and their job will be to find the mismatch on the other teams and exploit it.

I am looking forward to watching a fun year of basketball. See some of you in Vegas.

cjm720
07-13-2015, 02:02 PM
After watching last year, IMO McC is way more prepared to see significant time than Melson. No knock on Melson, more of a compliment to coach and staff. A very good problem to have...

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-13-2015, 02:08 PM

I agree. That is a deep, veteran team with size and athleticism. They will make the NCAA Tournament and play like they belong there. I think the Waves will finish at least two games ahead of BYU and SMC in the league standings.

BYU will finish third. Collinsworth is a great player, but BYU's front court still looks like a middling Big Sky Conference unit.

MDABE80
07-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Bank on it, when it comes to leadership, EMAC has it down. He'll be a leader. His defense is tough as anyone and his offense is very strong. ( See Vanderbilt). Big athletic, fast with experience. I don't see it any other way.

DixieZag
07-13-2015, 02:48 PM
The list seems pretty good. I might switch BYU at 2 to Pepp, as others also mentioned.

But, I don't see how SMC finishes 4th. Granted, no one else stands out much either. But, I just have no clue who is going to play what at SMC.

zag buddy
07-13-2015, 03:30 PM
I agree with Abe. After watching him in person this summer it is hard for me to see how anyone beats him out as a starter.

Bogozags
07-13-2015, 03:40 PM
A couple of things about the upcoming season...we'll start the season playing nine and could play that many throughout the season depending on how well Edwards and Alberts do early...if they play confidently

EMac, imo will start...Coach Few always starts those with experience and the ability to make a difference on both ends of the court. Melson will come off the bench...Jenks, Emac and KD should be the starters along with KW and PK...

Pepperdine will be stronger and more experienced BUT don't count BYU out...they will have a strong front court with both Austin and Kaufusi starting...they will be stronger than some of you think.

After GU, Pepperdine and BYU, it will be a toss up for 4-10...our toughest WCC games will be on the road against Pepperdine and BYU and if we play to our potential and beat SMU, it will be a remarkable ride to March

hooter73
07-13-2015, 03:47 PM
A couple of things about the upcoming season...we'll start the season playing nine and could play that many throughout the season depending on how well Edwards and Alberts do early...if they play confidently

EMac, imo will start...Coach Few always starts those with experience and the ability to make a difference on both ends of the court. Melson will come off the bench...Jenks, Emac and KD should be the starters along with KW and PK...

Pepperdine will be stronger and more experienced BUT don't count BYU out...they will have a strong front court with both Austin and Kaufusi starting...they will be stronger than some of you think.

After GU, Pepperdine and BYU, it will be a toss up for 4-10...our toughest WCC games will be on the road against Pepperdine and BYU and if we play to our potential and beat SMU, it will be a remarkable ride to March

I completely agree with all of this.

coolhandzag
07-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Used to know a group of road bikers whose mantra was......"What is behind us does not matter." Then again, what does a road biker know? Could any of those guys drop a manual on a fraction of a second?

Zags will finish 1st. The rest doesn't matter.

Mr Vulture
07-13-2015, 08:25 PM
I've been the "voice of reason" on Melson in the past but I'm going on the record as him being the breakout guy this year. I think he starts with Perkins and EM is a huge player that subs in across the 1-3 spots depending on game situation. Effectively I think that EMC is the de facto #6 starter just as I think Sabonis is the "backup" but still plays as much ch as the starters. Our top seven guys are all starters in minutes, although Wiltjer will play 30+ and I think wins POY in college basketball if we make the Elite Eight!

ZagsGoZags
07-13-2015, 09:15 PM
I am not as confident as the CBS sports writer that Goss will be our best PG. I would not be surprised if Josh Perkins starts at the PG in 2016, and he might go higher in the NBA draft finally (though I admit I will be surprised). Goss has had two years of play to show his stuff -- JP might be amazing after two years of D1 ball.

Also Zag67 said " This set of 1 through 3 is taller than most teams we have ever had" which I think is a fair statement. We must not forget how tall we have been in the past, such as the 08-09 team with Bouldin 6'5", Gray 6'5", and Downs 6'8" at the 1-3.

Also as a whole team we may never be taller than 09-10 when we had Foster 7'5", Sacre 7'0", Daye 6'11", Andy P 6'11", Josh H. 6'11" and some other tall players like E. Harris 6'7", Kong 6'6", Hart 6'6", Gray 6'5", Bouldin 6'5"

There are many years top teams like Duke are not as tall as we are overall.

ZagaZags
07-13-2015, 09:25 PM
I am not as confident as the CBS sports writer that Goss will be our best PG. I would not be surprised if Josh Perkins starts at the PG in 2016, and he might go higher in the NBA draft finally (though I admit I will be surprised). Goss has had two years of play to show his stuff -- JP might be amazing after two years of D1 ball.

Also Zag67 said " This set of 1 through 3 is taller than most teams we have ever had" which I think is a fair statement. We must not forget how tall we have been in the past, such as the 08-09 team with Bouldin 6'5", Gray 6'5", and Downs 6'8" at the 1-3.

Also as a whole team we may never be taller than 09-10 when we had Foster 7'5", Sacre 7'0", Daye 6'11", Andy P 6'11", Josh H. 6'11" and some other tall players like E. Harris 6'7", Kong 6'6", Hart 6'6", Gray 6'5", Bouldin 6'5"

There are many years top teams like Duke are not as tall as we are overall.

As long as Josh Perkins is wearing a Zag uniform, he will be the starting PG at GU.

amaronizag
07-13-2015, 09:40 PM
I agree with Zaga that Perkins will be our point guard. Goss is a great floor general and has outstanding IQ and court vision, but he plays really well at the two where he played mostly at UW. He also plays off ball defense really well, and is with out a doubt better guarding the 2 than the point. Better on D than Pangos, but not as good at Bell. Not many presses will be effective against these guards. I think Draino may be a better defender than Goss, but is better as a 3.

DADoZAG
07-14-2015, 09:26 AM

Great conversation going on, and don't want to sidetrack it, but I'm curious about your comment, CDC, with my added emphasis.

Does that mean the foot never fully healed last season or was there something else?

Go ZAGS!

hooter73
07-14-2015, 10:28 AM

Thats kind of a misnomer as most those guys never played any real minutes together but on paper that was a team of trees!

ProjectMKUltra5
07-14-2015, 10:31 AM
I don't normally geek out over players but Silas Melson is hands down, my favorite player. Probably my favorite player since Derek Raivio honestly.

I just think he's got all the tools to be a great two way player and he's got the confidence and that gunslinger mentality to go with all that athleticism and skill. EMac is great but he's limited, he doesn't have the ceiling Melson has. McClellan will excell in his roll but Melson has the potential to effect the game in to many ways, he won't be kept off that court.

Superman gunna fly this season
https://i.imgflip.com/o7ajp.gif (https://imgflip.com/gif/o7ajp)

BULLDOG#1
07-14-2015, 10:40 AM
I don't normally geek out over players but Silas Melson is hands down, my favorite player. Probably my favorite player since Derek Raivio honestly.

I just think he's got all the tools to be a great two way player and he's got the confidence and that gunslinger mentality to go with all that athleticism and skill. EMac is great but he's limited, he doesn't have the ceiling Melson has. McClellan will excell in his roll but Melson has the potential to effect the game in to many ways, he won't be kept off that court.

I agree that Melson has the tools and at times last year he showed glimpses of his potential. But from what I saw of the two of them last year, EMac was 10x the player as Melson. Doesn't mean that Melson can't really break out this year, but based on what I saw last year EMac should be the starter without question.

DixieZag
07-14-2015, 10:58 AM
I agree that Melson has the tools and at times last year he showed glimpses of his potential. But from what I saw of the two of them last year, EMac was 10x the player as Melson. Doesn't mean that Melson can't really break out this year, but based on what I saw last year EMac should be the starter without question.

IIRC, it was EMac who turned the game around with his defense at SMC and one can arguably state that the turnaround kept us in our 2 seed which played a big role in getting us to the E8.

Based upon defensive pressure and ball handling alone, I think that for right now (right now, before the season, now) EMac is the player who brings more to that position.

But, no one can know for sure how it will all play out.

hooter73
07-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Agree with young Melson having the higher ceiling but EMac is the one who looked like he knew what he was doing...

SteelZag
07-14-2015, 12:27 PM

I actually think names could be drawn out of a hat each game for the starters. My question is if EMac starts, does he spell Perkins as well?

maynard g krebs
07-14-2015, 02:39 PM
he plays really well at the two where he played mostly at UW.

No. He played point there virtually exclusively.

amaronizag
07-14-2015, 10:36 PM
I'll defer to you on that Maynard. I confess to not watching much UW basketball, but when I did watch, it seemed like Andrews was their best shooter and running the point and Goss was playing the 2. Last game I watched was UW/WSU and Goss played the 2 most of the game, but evidently that was not the norm. Regardless, I think that if he and Perkins are on the floor at the same time, Goss will play the 2. Do you agree with that? Tough call because when Goss finally suits up for GU, we'll have great guards at the 1 and the 2!!

maynard g krebs
07-15-2015, 08:57 AM
I'll defer to you on that Maynard. I confess to not watching much UW basketball, but when I did watch, it seemed like Andrews was their best shooter and running the point and Goss was playing the 2. Last game I watched was UW/WSU and Goss played the 2 most of the game, but evidently that was not the norm. Regardless, I think that if he and Perkins are on the floor at the same time, Goss will play the 2. Do you agree with that? Tough call because when Goss finally suits up for GU, we'll have great guards at the 1 and the 2!!

Seattle Times story a day or 2 ago on Andrews talked about how he'll be switching from sg to pg next year w/ NWG gone. NWG averaged like 5.9 assists last year; second or 3rd in the pac. I don't watch the Huskies much either but NWG was always pg when I did. Yes I agree that Perkins will be primary pg as long as he's at GU, but I think they're pretty interchangeable and it's one of those situations where the 1/2 designation won't matter much in terms of how they play.

amaronizag
07-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Maynard I agree that the 1 and 2 designations will be of little consequence when we have Perkins and Goss on the floor together. At UW, Goss was always to guy waiting to get the inbounds or outlet pass and bring the ball up the floor. Then when they started running the offense, Andrews seemed to be positioned at the top of the key a lot more than Goss. Not sure how to categorize them and it doesn't matter, but as I think about it, Goss was definitely the point guard as you pointed out. I just can't wait to see Perkins and Goss playing together!!! What a team!!