PDA

View Full Version : Best Shooting Team

Angelo Roncalli
07-09-2015, 12:43 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11737863_868666293212284_5115544491266948198_n.jpg ?oh=5dccf1dd941aa7160326d6aaba1992f3&oe=561D9D1B

SageOfZagville
07-09-2015, 01:17 PM
With the exception of shooting in a certain Texas domed stadium.

I am of the opinion that while you can improve your shooting by repetitions and practice, the ability to shoot is a natural ability that you either have or don't have. It seems to me that the staff really places an importance on this skill set. They then rely on coaching to improve defense, rebounding etc. Other staff's seem to just recruit athletic ability and don't seem to place the importance on the ability to shoot. In a perfect world you find high level athletes that can shoot. What skill set do you consider more important and why?

hooter73
07-09-2015, 01:59 PM
First, pretty cool on the award :)

I am of the opinion that while you can improve your shooting by repetitions and practice, the ability to shoot is a natural ability that you either have or don't have. It seems to me that the staff really places an importance on this skill set. They then rely on coaching to improve defense, rebounding etc. Other staff's seem to just recruit athletic ability and don't seem to place the importance on the ability to shoot. In a perfect world you find high level athletes that can shoot. What skill set do you consider more important and why?

Thats an interesting theory that I want to try to disprove but try as I might, every example I come up with does point to that hand/eye ability that you can help youngins define and refine, but there are those kids you can coach the heck out of who will just never be able to hit the broad side of a barn. Interesting.

ZenZag
07-09-2015, 03:20 PM
I have no idea how quickly and efficiently the brain has to operate, and coordinate an amazing number of intricate muscle movements, in split-second time, and in a consistent manner, to be a Steph Curry. However, like all things biological, this follows a bell curve distribution....and being a great shooter has to take more than just being a shootaholic gym rat....I would think you also need to be a statistical outlier in that kind of mind/body coordination. At least that is how I always explained to myself that I was never a great shooter. I am a swell guy though. :)

willandi
07-09-2015, 07:04 PM
It's only that high because the WCC is so weak!

sarcasm!!!!!!!!

Zagger
07-09-2015, 07:41 PM

Hmmmm.... When it comes to skill sets I rank court awareness really high - being able to know where your teammates are and are going to be and getting the ball to them seamlessly. Quickness at distributing the ball where your opponents just can't keep up. Low # turnovers so ball handing really goes a long way. The more comfy the shot by beating opponents the more likely it'll go in. Finding your best shot teammates or just plain taking it in yourself. I've a hunch Drano's skills along these lines are really going to shine this season.

MickMick
07-09-2015, 08:44 PM
I thought Demetri Goodson was lightning quick, an incredible on ball defender, and could single handedly break a press. I also came away from that tenure believing that Mark Few would focus on natural shooting players from that point on......and he has.

It doesn't matter how physically gifted a player is. Basketball is about putting the round thing through the hole. GU's recent rise to unprecedented heights (#1 ranking, #1 seed, elite eight) is directly related to scoring prowess and the influx of "shooters".

It has to be the first trait you look for.