PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga looks like a national title contender.

ZagaZags
07-08-2015, 07:14 PM
http://cdn-jpg.si.com/sites/default/files/styles/si_article_main/public/2015/06/25/przemek-karnowski-domantas-sabonis.jpg?itok=9sj2HikG

State of the top projected national contender: Gonzaga

Gonzaga had spent years battling the perception that itís a regular season juggernaut that canít advance deep into the NCAA tournament. A breakthrough came in March, when the Zags knocked off North Dakota State, Iowa and UCLA to earn their first Elite Eight appearance since 1999.

Read the rest at link.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/25/midmajor-gonzaga-bulldogs-wichita-state-shockers-gregg-marshall

zagamatic
07-09-2015, 12:46 AM
Understandably so, I still have seen little mention of Edwards in these national articles. But I'm seriously hoping that he emerges with enough force to make us go from one of the strongest front courts to THE strongest front court!
How many days to go is it?

jazzdelmar
07-09-2015, 04:32 AM
There will be countless preseason articles of this type. None will have anything new to us. Just cut and paste, hack work and not worth the pixels, IMO. We know what we have, and it's really good, warts and all.

hooter73
07-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Enjoy it for the national media attention. Thats what these articles are good for and it goes a long, LONG way in making GU a household name for recruits to consider and fans to want to see what all the buzz is about. Its how a program grows.

jazzdelmar
07-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Enjoy it for the national media attention. Thats what these articles are good for and it goes a long, LONG way in making GU a household name for recruits to consider and fans to want to see what all the buzz is about. Its how a program grows.

Can't argue with that. But it's a fool's errand to hope there is some new nugget in the text.

gonzagafan62
07-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Can't argue with that. But it's a fool's errand to hope there is some new nugget in the text.

Yup. Click bait. As usual with the preseason stuff about Gonzaga. At least this year with the Elite Eight a few words were changed here and there.

Regarding the national championship caliber team: I am still not sold on this Gonzaga squad. It just doesn't have the same luster as last year. But 2013 didn't have the luster for me either and we were officially #1 in the country.

Ill take it.

jazzdelmar
07-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Yup. Click bait. As usual with the preseason stuff about Gonzaga. At least this year with the Elite Eight a few words were changed here and there.

Regarding the national championship caliber team: I am still not sold on this Gonzaga squad. It just doesn't have the same luster as last year. But 2013 didn't have the luster for me either and we were officially #1 in the country.

Ill take it.

Disagree 62. This years team is more and better.

gonzagafan62
07-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Disagree 62. This years team is more and better.

That's whats great about life. If we all agreed it would be boring. Ill be hoping I am wrong.

Go Zags!

hooter73
07-09-2015, 11:43 AM
I pretty much agree. By the numbers, yes, in 2013 we were number one but no one thought we would go the distance against the battle tested east coast teams. That team was good because of the decent levels of experience they had. This year, we have high levels of talent across the board but experience is relatively low. That doesnt matter for a Kentucky-esque with ten 5 star one and done freshmen on it but that is not a style we are familiar with. It'll be fun as always to watch what happens with the progression of the individuals and the team as a whole this year.

Mantua
07-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I pretty much agree. By the numbers, yes, in 2013 we were number one but no one thought we would go the distance against the battle tested east coast teams. That team was good because of the decent levels of experience they had. This year, we have high levels of talent across the board but experience is relatively low. That doesnt matter for a Kentucky-esque with ten 5 star one and done freshmen on it but that is not a style we are familiar with. It'll be fun as always to watch what happens with the progression of the individuals and the team as a whole this year.

I agree that it will be a lot of fun to see how Edwards and the back court develop. EMac could be a difference maker. Alberts might bring the biggest surprises. We do know that the practices with NWG and JW3 will help out the back court development considerably.

ZagaZags
07-09-2015, 07:47 PM
There will be countless preseason articles of this type. None will have anything new to us. Just cut and paste, hack work and not worth the pixels, IMO. We know what we have, and it's really good, warts and all.

Sure this article is nothing new for GU fans but with all the extra media attention Gonzaga has received over the last decade, can only help with the GU branding across America. The more people hear about Gonzaga the better. You would be a fool to not see this. I always wondered what the monetary value is for GU to have their name shown on ESPN's bottom line when they scroll the top 10 teams in the NCAA or when Neil Everett calls Gonzaga, "America's Team." With the GU branding machine in full gear, this can only help with recruiting, student enrollment and selling shirts, hats, basketball shorts and tickets.

For Zag fans this is old news, for the rest of America it just helps GU with it's national brand.

Zagger
07-09-2015, 08:31 PM
I agree that it will be a lot of fun to see how Edwards and the back court develop. EMac could be a difference maker. Alberts might bring the biggest surprises. We do know that the practices with NWG and JW3 will help out the back court development considerably.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if both Edwards and Alberts are X factors this coming season. Should the two play as well as I think they may - Wow! That'd be one solid Zag team! Bet we see passing dizzy the heads of opponents and some 100+ point games. Zags have some hot shooters / high percents. Zags are going to have fun and Zag size is just plain going to dominate quite a few teams. I'll be very surprised if after the first couple games the Zags are not rated in the top 10 teams nationally. The Arizona game at home is going to be WILD!

MTZag03
07-09-2015, 10:12 PM
What if Wiltjer pulls an Ammo junior year type season? This team offensively could definitely keep up with the 06' team on paper and is clearly better defensively. They just ooze potential. I'm excited.

SteelZag
07-09-2015, 11:12 PM
What if Wiltjer pulls an Ammo junior year type season? This team offensively could definitely keep up with the 06' team on paper and is clearly better defensively. They just ooze potential. I'm excited.

I'm not going to predict a record but I hold the belief that this team will score more points than last year and give up fewer points as well. The bigs have one more year of experience and the guards will come through as athleticism oozes throughout their ranks to help stifle opponents.