PDA

View Full Version : KEVIN PANGOS STORIES- CAN'T MISS

cdools
07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Help Zag NAtion!...Followers on GUBoards may be aware through posts that I have written in the last four years that I am writing a book about Kevin Pangos called CAN'T MISS. The book isn't just about the life and career thus far of Kevin, but rather it is the connection of all the factors that led to this amazing young man's ascendency through age group basketball and the amazing run he had as a Zag. I've known Kevin since he was born and will bring perspective and passion to my writing. The last chapter of the book will be called "To be Continued" in reverence to Father Tony Lehmann's words and their indirect connection to the life and future of a player who never met Father Tony. Kevin would have loved Father Tony.

This book will be completed and out by the fall sometime. I have been to many games and events in Spokane and on the road with the Zags as I have researched this over the past four years. Now I am looking for stories of Kevin from the people who lived through his career in Spokane. People who contribute to GUBoards have a passion for everything Zags and I thought you would love to share your favourite KP story.

I'm not sure if doing this is proper GUBoards protocol but if you have a story to share please add it to this thread or email me directly at coachdools71@gmail.com.

Gonzaga is a special place and KP is a special person and player and I'm catching the connection between the two...thanks in advance

cjm720
07-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Can't wait for the book!

Zagdawg
07-24-2015, 06:56 AM
Dan Dickau ‏@dandickau21 · 25m25 minutes ago
Congrats to @KPangos for deal w Gran Canaria of Spanish ACB. Good luck @dickauandslim need the final details next week.

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/news/i/683vcjp33bikgbkb

The team is based in the autonomous community's capital and largest city, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canary Islands. It plays at Gran Canaria Arena.

CB Gran Canaria was founded inside Claret School and for many years played under that denomination. Following a successful period in school competitions, a senior team was created and integrated on the Spanish Second Division. The team played in that division until 1984, when the team adopted the decision of having a statute of its own, therefore becoming an independent institution. The new statute was approved on May 22, 1985 and the team became Claret Club de Baloncesto.

CB Gran Canaria non-commercial logo until 2014
The following years, the team moved many times between ACB League and First Division B. On the 1987–88 season the club changed its name to CB Gran Canaria, paying homage to the place where its social mass came from. On 30 June 1992 the team became a sports public limited company (Sociedad Anónima Deportiva, SAD in Spanish) in order to fulfil with the requirements of the then-new Spanish sports legislation.

After three seasons in the Spanish silver division the team won the first Liga EBA in the 1994–95 season and was promoted to ACB League. From that season on, CB Gran Canaria has stayed in the top level of the Spanish basketball. The 2012–13 represents the team's eighteenth consecutive season in ACB.

On April 2015, Gran Canaria played the Eurocup Finals. The team was defeated by BC Khimki in the two legs.

Radbooks
07-24-2015, 06:58 AM
Here's a link to a very short article in a Euroleague blog about the signing:

gonzagafan62
07-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Here's a link to a very short article in a Euroleague blog about the signing:

Back-to-back-to-back champs. 2013-15. :p

Really cool that he signed. I will keep an eye on Pangos' professional career. What a great Zag.

ZaGranny
07-24-2015, 07:48 AM
CBGran Canaria website has a more detailed article (in Spanish).

Haven't studied Spanish in 20 years, but I was able to work my way through it.

EL BASE CANADIENSE CON PASAPORTE ESLOVENO SE SUMA AL PROYECTO DE LA PRÓXIMA TEMPORADA PROCEDENTE DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE GONZAGA.

Kevin Joseph Pangos (Ontario, 26 de enero de 1993) defenderá la camiseta del Herbalife Gran Canaria durante las dos próximas temporadas, en la que será su primera aventura como profesional.

Desde muy temprana edad, Pangos empezó a destacar en el circuito baloncestístico de Canadá. En 2011, al llegar el momento de escoger universidad, el base atrajo mucho interés de varias de las mejores universidades de Estados Unidos. Finalmente, se decidió por la Universidad de Gonzaga, en parte por las buenas referencias de su amigo Kelly Olynyk, pívot canadiense que milita hoy en los Boston Celtics.

More at link

Interesting tidbit: He played with Pablo Aquilar of Gran Canaria during the summer league with Dallas Mavericks.

Interesting that "El Base" means point guard in Spanish--I like that.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
07-24-2015, 07:59 AM
CBGran Canaria website has a more detailed article (in Spanish).

Haven't studied Spanish in 20 years, but I was able to work my way through it.

EL BASE CANADIENSE CON PASAPORTE ESLOVENO SE SUMA AL PROYECTO DE LA PRÓXIMA TEMPORADA PROCEDENTE DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE GONZAGA.

Kevin Joseph Pangos (Ontario, 26 de enero de 1993) defenderá la camiseta del Herbalife Gran Canaria durante las dos próximas temporadas, en la que será su primera aventura como profesional.

Desde muy temprana edad, Pangos empezó a destacar en el circuito baloncestístico de Canadá. En 2011, al llegar el momento de escoger universidad, el base atrajo mucho interés de varias de las mejores universidades de Estados Unidos. Finalmente, se decidió por la Universidad de Gonzaga, en parte por las buenas referencias de su amigo Kelly Olynyk, pívot canadiense que milita hoy en los Boston Celtics.

More at link

Interesting tidbit: He played with Pablo Aquilar of Gran Canaria during the summer league with Dallas Mavericks.

Interesting that "El Base" means point guard in Spanish--I like that.

ZaGranny

TheGonzagaFactor
07-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Help Zag NAtion!...Followers on GUBoards may be aware through posts that I have written in the last four years that I am writing a book about Kevin Pangos called CAN'T MISS. The book isn't just about the life and career thus far of Kevin, but rather it is the connection of all the factors that led to this amazing young man's ascendency through age group basketball and the amazing run he had as a Zag. I've known Kevin since he was born and will bring perspective and passion to my writing. The last chapter of the book will be called "To be Continued" in reverence to Father Tony Lehmann's words and their indirect connection to the life and future of a player who never met Father Tony. Kevin would have loved Father Tony.

This book will be completed and out by the fall sometime. I have been to many games and events in Spokane and on the road with the Zags as I have researched this over the past four years. Now I am looking for stories of Kevin from the people who lived through his career in Spokane. People who contribute to GUBoards have a passion for everything Zags and I thought you would love to share your favourite KP story.

I'm not sure if doing this is proper GUBoards protocol but if you have a story to share please add it to this thread or email me directly at coachdools71@gmail.com.

Gonzaga is a special place and KP is a special person and player and I'm catching the connection between the two...thanks in advance

OOOOOOH this whole time I thought you were Cody Doolin!!

Zagdawg
07-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Google translate:

"THE BASE CANADIAN PASSPORT WITH SLOVENIAN PROJECT JOINS THE NEXT SEASON FROM Gonzaga University.

Kevin Joseph Pangos (Ontario, January 26, 1993) defend the shirt of Herbalife Gran Canaria during the next two seasons, which will be his first venture as a professional.

From an early age, he began to emphasize Pangos baloncestístico circuit in Canada. In 2011, when it came time to choose college, the foundation attracted much interest from several top universities in the United States. Finally, it was decided by the University of Gonzaga, partly because of the good references from his friend Kelly Olynyk, Canadian winger who plays today in the Boston Celtics."

cdools
07-24-2015, 10:53 AM
This story is part of " To Be Continued"...After having the perfect fit for his college career at Gonzaga he now makes another great choice in signing with Gran Canaria. Great coaching, solid team in a good league that will give him a great lifestyle and a chance to develop his pro game... Its great that it is a two year deal and has the opportunity to opt out if and when something in the NBA comes around next summer. Here is the team website for all Zags fans who want to follow how KP is doing: http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Spain/Herbalife_Gran_Canaria_2014/1312

cjm720
07-24-2015, 02:20 PM
This story is part of " To Be Continued"...After having the perfect fit for his college career at Gonzaga he now makes another great choice in signing with Gran Canaria. Great coaching, solid team in a good league that will give him a great lifestyle and a chance to develop his pro game... Its great that it is a two year deal and has the opportunity to opt out if and when something in the NBA comes around next summer. Here is the team website for all Zags fans who want to follow how KP is doing: http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Spain/Herbalife_Gran_Canaria_2014/1312

Here to: http://www.eurobasket.com/Spain/news/413606/Herbalife-Gran-Canaria-2014-tabs-Kevin-Pangos

Congrats Mr. Pangos! Keep the hard work up!!!

cjm720
07-24-2015, 02:22 PM

Here to: http://www.eurobasket.com/Spain/news/413606/Herbalife-Gran-Canaria-2014-tabs-Kevin-Pangos

Congrats Mr. Pangos! Keep the hard work up!!!

MDABE80
07-24-2015, 09:19 PM
I hope Kevin enjoys hi time there. His shooting must improve no matter the continent. BUT he's a great kid and a better player in multiple other ways. His performance in the Summer leagues simply wasn't good enough to stick.
He'll need to improve to make it to the BIGS. Meanwhile, knowing how much he did at GU, he'll remain one of my favs.

ZagaZags
07-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Fun video of Kevin Pangos in Las Vegas. Check it out.

http://wccsports.com/video/55b6a932e4b03f3ef27cb372

I already miss this guy.

Zagdawg
07-27-2015, 06:00 PM
Great Zag.......miss him also.

DixieZag
07-27-2015, 11:38 PM
I'm sure it hurts a little, he wants the NBA so badly.

But, if one has to take a side track on the way, playing pro-ball in the Spanish league, one of the best outside the NBA, in the Canary Islands has to take some of the sting out of it.