PDA

View Full Version : OT - Payton Pritchard decommits from OU

CDC84
07-06-2015, 09:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/13212102/payton-pritchard-no-11-point-guard-espn-100-decommitted-oklahoma-sooners

I only mention this because: 1) Gonzaga offered him at one point 2) He's Zach Collins' AAU teammate. 3) He's obviously really good.

That being said, it's going to be a hard sell with Perkins and NWG manning the PG position. I have no idea if the GU staff would even be interested at this point.

Word on the street is that Oregon is going to go all out to land him.

jazzdelmar
07-07-2015, 05:10 AM
CD. Zags are now on a two or three year turnover cycle.....no longer four or five and done.....so PP would slot nicely into that rotation....even better if he shirted.

PHSBBall
07-07-2015, 05:33 AM
CD. Zags are now on a two or three year turnover cycle.....no longer four or five and done.....so PP would slot nicely into that rotation....even better if he shirted.

I can guarantee Payton will not be a red shirt candidate at whatever school he chooses. Too many top level options for him to pick from, it is well known that his family expects him to play right away wherever he goes

TheGonzagaFactor
07-07-2015, 06:28 AM

If I were him, I would not play anywhere that I would even be asked to redshirt. Not wise to waste a year if you're already really good.

GoZags
07-07-2015, 06:48 AM
OT - Payton Pritchard decommits from OU

There are those that believe the term "OT" does not apply vis a vis Payton Pritchard.

I always say "nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag" ... but man .... that'd be some kind of bag.

Edited to add ... "may" come down to the Zags and the Zeros.

webspinnre
07-07-2015, 07:25 AM
And given Coach Few's lineups, when it comes to point guards and combo guards, he's always been a proponent of "the more, the merrier".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prkBmmFQcEw

CDC84
07-07-2015, 07:26 AM
I would certainly love to have him. The more the merrier, indeed..........

cjm720
07-07-2015, 08:41 AM
This is exciting to hear...

dnj116
07-07-2015, 08:59 AM
I just don't see this happening. With Perkins and NWG both playing the point his freshman and sophomore years, there's likely not the minutes to keep him happy. We also have Jesse Wade coming in when he'd be a sophomore. That'd be four highly touted point guards fighting for one or two spots. That's a recipe for having bad chemistry and a strong likelihood of future transfers.

We already have a full cupboard of very capable point guards, and after NWG decided on Gonzaga, I think we took ourselves out of contention for these types of opportunities. Thats not to say I'd be against him being here, but I don't think he'd commit now that he sees the other point guards already here and that would be fighting for his same position and minutes.

jchocolate99
07-07-2015, 09:13 AM
There's just not room for him here. Not going to happen, nor should it. With Perkins and NWG both at the point the year he'd be coming, there's just not the minutes for him. We also have Jesse Wade coming in when he'd be a sophomore. That'd be four highly touted point guards fighting for one or two spots. That's a recipe for having bad chemistry and a strong likelihood of future transfers.

We already have a full cupboard of very capable point guards, and after NWG decided on Gonzaga, I think we took ourselves out of contention for these types of opportunities.

I totally agree with you... I just don't think this happens with what we have and have coming in at the PG positions. We need athletic wings so I'm fine with not getting pritchard. Getting Wade more than eased the sting on missing out on PP and the summer Wade had just showed he has the potential to be a great PG at GU

raise the zag
07-07-2015, 09:14 AM
There's just not room for him here. Not going to happen, nor should it. With Perkins and NWG both at the point the year he'd be coming, there's just not the minutes for him. We also have Jesse Wade coming in when he'd be a sophomore. That'd be four highly touted point guards fighting for one or two spots. That's a recipe for having bad chemistry and a strong likelihood of future transfers.

We already have a full cupboard of very capable point guards, and after NWG decided on Gonzaga, I think we took ourselves out of contention for these types of opportunities.

I like puppies and ice cream too, yet what you described is a perfect world and everything/everyone panning out perfectly. Not to mention, everyone staying all 4 yrs. Ain't happening...

NWG is expected to stay 1 year. He has said he wants Gonzaga system to improve his overall game, yet also wants to showcase his talents to moving on to next stage.

Perkins is good. Maybe not one-hit wonder good, yet he's every bit as talented as Tyus Jones who was a Top-20 pick. Perkins features NBA vision/passing/handles. If he shows he can score consistently, he's a 1st Round PG after his junior season.

Wade is not suiting up til 2017-2018. A lot can happen b/w now & then, yet still several seasons away. He's an elite shooter & playmaker, yet can't afford to lose any size/strength.

Pritchard is the nation's top shooter. He's much like Pangos with a bit more moxy/grit to his game. A top-50 player who could be a terrific fit for us and him.

This "recruiting over" business is non-sense. You "draft" the most talented player if they are available or want to come aboard and figure it out later.

As it regards to 4* guards who can shoot lights out...Yes...more the merrier.

DukeSilver
07-07-2015, 09:20 AM
This "recruiting over" business is non-sense. You "draft" the most talented player if they are available or want to come aboard and figure it out later.

Exactly! Everyone on the team should welcome competition, as it can only make the team better ... Game minutes tend to work themselves out favorably for those who buy into the system.

jazzdelmar
07-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Im with you Raise....

IowaSERE
07-07-2015, 11:39 AM
He would be a great 2 guard in the Zags system.

guniverse
07-07-2015, 11:48 AM
he would be an awesome get

ProjectMKUltra5
07-07-2015, 11:50 AM
So the general concensus on Mussini (who will probably redshirt and not be eligible til 2016 anyway) is that we're good on PGs so we don't need one, but now that Pritchard is back on the market we suddenly have a need at PG?

The numbers just don't add up. We'll have Perkins and NWG in 16, possibly both of them AND Wade in 17. Not an ideal situation for a kid who wants to see the court early on. That doesn't even factor in Melson and Alberts who could eat up minutes at the 2 as well.

Early reports on who GU is targeting in the 2017 class also indicate a class heavy on combo guards and wings, presumably somebody to play alongside Wade. Another reason to be skeptical of Pritchards spot on the team.

GoZags
07-07-2015, 11:54 AM
So the general concensus on Mussini (who will probably redshirt and not be eligible til 2016 anyway) is that we're good on PGs so we don't need one, but now that Pritchard is back on the market we suddenly have a need at PG?

The numbers just don't add up. We'll have Perkins and NWG in 16, possibly both of them AND Wade in 17. Not an ideal situation for a kid who wants to see the court early on. That doesn't even factor in Melson and Alberts who could eat up minutes at the 2 as well.

Early reports on who GU is targeting in the 2017 class also indicate a class heavy on combo guards and wings, presumably somebody to play alongside Wade. Another reason to be skeptical of Pritchards spot on the team.

Personally, I take Tommy's advice vis a vis these types of scenarios .... which is the general public knows less than 5% of what's really going on. So I don't worry about it .... and figure the staff knows what they're doing. At least that's my stance.

mgadfly
07-07-2015, 12:23 PM
I like puppies and ice cream too, yet what you described is a perfect world and everything/everyone panning out perfectly. Not to mention, everyone staying all 4 yrs. Ain't happening...

NWG is expected to stay 1 year. He has said he wants Gonzaga system to improve his overall game, yet also wants to showcase his talents to moving on to next stage.

Perkins is good. Maybe not one-hit wonder good, yet he's every bit as talented as Tyus Jones who was a Top-20 pick. Perkins features NBA vision/passing/handles. If he shows he can score consistently, he's a 1st Round PG after his junior season.

Wade is not suiting up til 2017-2018. A lot can happen b/w now & then, yet still several seasons away. He's an elite shooter & playmaker, yet can't afford to lose any size/strength.

Pritchard is the nation's top shooter. He's much like Pangos with a bit more moxy/grit to his game. A top-50 player who could be a terrific fit for us and him.

I think this misses the point a little. Of course we'd want him. However, does he want to go to some place where there are already two top tier point guards lined up for the seasons he'd like to be in school? He'll probably want to go to a top tier team with more of a need at his position. Second, GU has always tried to build the best TEAM, not create a roster with the best overall talent. That is because adding talent does not always help the team and by adding another point guard team chemistry could be impacted. Since the staff tries to determine what impact any signee will have on team chemistry, I'd think they would take a long and hard look at adding a guy to a position they are already stacked at.

1. We'd want him.
2. Does he want us?
3. If he came, does it make the team better or just create more chemistry issues due to a lack of playing time for everyone involved.

DukeSilver
07-07-2015, 12:24 PM

No, the perceived *need* at PG hasn't changed, but the quality of player that we're discussing certainly has ... With a player of Pritchard's quality, the argument could be made that you build a strategy to match the talent.

Plus, is it really absurd to imagine that we could field a team with three elite-level PGs? Of course not, particularly considering how frequently we are known to run 2-PG sets. Plenty of minutes to go around.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Personally, I take Tommy's advice vis a vis these types of scenarios .... which is the general public knows less than 5% of what's really going on. So I don't worry about it .... and figure the staff knows what they're doing. At least that's my stance.

Meh, I've gotten into some DEFCON 5 arguments about this kind of attitude with the folks at TSSF. This is a place specifically designed to talk Gonzaga basketball, the fact that we can't read the coaches minds and know exactly what their doing doesn't take away from our ability to intelligently discuss the basketball team.

I'm not trying to derail this thread tho so more to the point, roster management is one of the more black and white aspects of college sports, especially when talking about the numbers at a particular posistion. It doesn't take an insider to tell you that we have alot of very talented PGs, both on the roster and in the pipeline.

BULLDOG#1
07-07-2015, 12:45 PM
No, the perceived *need* at PG hasn't changed, but the quality of player that we're discussing certainly has ... With a player of Pritchard's quality, the argument could be made that you build a strategy to match the talent.

Plus, is it really absurd to imagine that we could field a team with three elite-level PGs? Of course not, particularly considering how frequently we are known to run 2-PG sets. Plenty of minutes to go around.

Add in Jesse Wade, and you've got four elite-level PGs. Not sure there's enough minutes for all of them, even if you have one or two of them play off the ball. It wouldn't make sense for him to come to GU.

IowaSERE
07-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Add in Jesse Wade, and you've got four elite-level PGs. Not sure there's enough minutes for all of them, even if you have one or two of them play off the ball. It wouldn't make sense for him to come to GU.

Unless he is better than all of them.....

DixieZag
07-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Exciting to be a team a player of that caliber would consider, similar to Perkins and Collins.

I do worry about the recruiting over other players thing, but mostly b/c we have built who we are on the fact we can tell recruits that they become part of the Zag family.

I worry recruiting over people to often, effectively ensuring that a few will have to transfer, might impact that atmosphere.

For sure we've gone with 3 guard lineups, and with far less upside guards. So, there are ways.

I'm pretty comfortable with trusting that the coaches have a plan on how to handle those exact concerns, b/c I'm sure there is no one more committed to retaining the program's values than the coaches heading up that family.

Exciting times.

hooter73
07-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Our back up point guard for four years now plays in the NBA;)

Prichard and Melson could be great shooting guards in college, but after that, both would be considered Point Guards if they wanted to keep on playing - See Gary Bell Jr. So maybe more guards come in to GU and play for a top team, maybe they go somewhere where they can be the guy. Its all in what the individual player wants right now and in the long run. I think Prichard could a lot worse at a lot bigger name schools, which is apparently what he thinks too with his decommit. If he came here, he would light it up as a guard. Alberts is an unknown although most pencil him in as our lone wing after Kyle D graduates. I think the minutes could be there for four high level guards to all play. Plus, like it was said above, the likely hood of these guys all still being here or being eligible/healthy at the same time is fairly uncertain.

DukeSilver
07-07-2015, 12:56 PM

I think the consensus is that the chance that both Perkins AND Goss are still around by the time Wade arrives on campus are pretty slim ... In fact, the most likely scenario may be that neither of them will still be around - but this is, of course, pure speculation at this point.

Also, we shouldn't forget that Wade will have been away from basketball for TWO YEARS by the time he sets foot on campus. I think he has some serious upside, but wouldn't be surprised if his GU career began with a redshirt year.

jazzdelmar
07-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Unless he is better than all of them.....

Exactly. Surely better than Wade.

Or maybe some would prefer to go back to the days when the surfeit of PGs included Vilarino, Gibbs, et al? Didn't think so.

IowaSERE
07-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Or maybe some would prefer to go back to the days when the surfeit of PGs included Vilarino, Gibbs, et al? Didn't think so.

You forgot Meech.

cjm720
07-07-2015, 01:20 PM
As it stands now, I'd rank these guys as follows: NWG>=Perkins>Pritchard>Wade, but who knows...they all add something different.

Given the fact that one of the four guys has played only five games, I'd say more the merrier and I'm certain coach would too, but it's a two way street.

dnj116
07-07-2015, 01:26 PM
I think the consensus is that the chance that both Perkins AND Goss are still around by the time Wade arrives on campus are pretty slim ... In fact, the most likely scenario may be that neither of them will still be around - but this is, of course, pure speculation at this point.

Also, we shouldn't forget that Wade will have been away from basketball for TWO YEARS by the time he sets foot on campus. I think he has some serious upside, but wouldn't be surprised if his GU career began with a redshirt year.

This is actually a really good point. In all likelihood, Wade will need some time to get back up to speed with his basketball skills, not to mention the significant jump in talent, speed, etc., from what he was facing in high school. Whether that time is spent in his freshman year while playing a back up role or as a redshirt, it will likely take some time for him to get back to how well he was playing when he graduated highschool -- where he was practicing every day.

jazzdelmar
07-07-2015, 01:30 PM
You forgot Meech.

Mental block. Thanks anyway. How bout Keegan Hyland?

TheGonzagaFactor
07-07-2015, 01:32 PM
This is actually a really good point. In all likelihood, Wade will need some time to get back up to speed with his basketball skills, not to mention the significant jump in talent, speed, etc., from what he was facing in high school. Whether that time is spent in his freshman year while playing a back up role or as a redshirt, it will likely take some time for him to get back to how well he was playing when he graduated highschool -- where he was practicing every day.

Many players come back and play well post-mission, but I'd say the chances of him redshirting in 2017-18 are fairly high. Of course this depends on who else is around at that point.

sittingon50
07-07-2015, 01:39 PM
So he'll be a 25 yr. old Sr.?

webspinnre
07-07-2015, 02:00 PM

There's enough playing time for 4 high level guards. We've seen Few run 3 guard lineups for years, particularly if the 3rd is in the 6'2" to 6'4" range. Plus, what a wonderful problem to have, too many good guards. Pritchard would be one of the best guards we've ever landed rankings wise - you don't turn him away because you already have other players.

cggonzaga
07-07-2015, 02:13 PM
The way I figure it (right or wrong).

2015 Perkins, Melson, Draino, McClellan, Alberts
2016 Perkins, Melson, NWG, Pritchard, Alberts (plenty of back up minutes for Pritchard)
2017 Pritchard, Melson, Alberts, Wade (would be shocked if Perkins and NWG were still here)

I personally see Pritchard as more of a point guard while I see Wade more as a shooting guard.

IowaSERE
07-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Based on what I saw in the 3 on 3 tournament, Pritchard is a PG in the same sense that Pangos is a PG.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-07-2015, 02:44 PM
For a fanbase that's so confident about Sabonis staying despite being pegged as a lottery pick, I think it's kind of funny ya'll are assuming NWG and Perkins are going to leave early just to accommodate a scenario that involves Pritchard. NWG is most likely, especially if he shoots the trey well, but Perkins is hardly on draft boards at this point. He's a NBA talent but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Plus, it really has less to do with GU turning him down then it does Pritchard not wanting to come to such a crowded backcourt. Some chips have to fall for him to really eat up some minutes, it's far from ideal from his perspective imo.

cggonzaga
07-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Based on what I saw in the 3 on 3 tournament, Pritchard is a PG in the same sense that Pangos is a PG.

Based on high school footage, he's a better distributor than Pangos. Also, I think he does a better job breaking down defenses.

cggonzaga
07-07-2015, 02:49 PM
I think it's kind of funny ya'll are assuming NWG and Perkins are going to leave early just to accommodate a scenario that involves Pritchard.

Try reading the board closer. Many of us have been saying Perkins will not be long for Gonzaga for quite some time now. Well before Pritchard became available again. I don't think it would be far fetched for Pritchard to get at least 20mpg his freshmen year even with the crowded backcourt. He's that good. I do acknowledge he may want even more minutes his freshmen year. What's more important though, more minutes played or national championship contention?

BobZag
07-07-2015, 03:55 PM
I just hope the staff goes hard after Pritchard. Everything will sort out afterwards.

Pirlo to NY?

DukeSilver
07-07-2015, 03:57 PM
I just hope the staff goes hard after Pritchard. Everything will sort out afterwards.

+1

jazzdelmar
07-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Pirlo to NY?

Match made in heaven.

ZagsGoZags
07-07-2015, 05:19 PM

I certainly agree with this. There are times when we learn that the staff struck out on their biggest hopes and had to settle for filling in the roster. They know what they are doing better than any of us, but sometimes they make the best of the situation. Consider when we took in Keita, and Monninghoff (sp?). They knew what they were doing, but couldn't get big recruits for everything that year. I suspect they had recruited hard for top PG's when they took in Pargo and Meech also. These two were some of the greatest zags ever, and gave it all, yet it is my suspicion that Few likes to have PG's that can move the ball well, drive to the basket, but also be a shooting threat from the 3 pt. We are so stacked with talent right now we might see some filling in the roster a bit the next two years -- for the reasons discussed in here. Probably only Kentucky can draw top 50 recruits that know they are going to be on the bench when the game starts. We are in a nice spot these days. The Elite Eight really pushes us into rarified territory and it is thrilling.

BULLDOG#1
07-07-2015, 05:32 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

BULLDOG#1
07-07-2015, 05:44 PM
GU has great point guard recruits, but I think it's a little far fetched to believe that we'll lose Perkins, and NWG to the NBA (or Pritchard if he came here).

2015 NBA draft point guard picks:

#2 D'angelo Russell
#7 Emmanuel Mudiay
#16 Rozier
#19 Jerian Grant
#20 Delon Wright
#24 Tyus Jones
#44 Andrew Harrison

Does GU have two or three point guard prospects that would make this list? Bell, Pangos, Pargo, Ravio, and so on.... none got drafted.

I'm excited for the great guards coming in, but let's keep it real.

cggonzaga
07-07-2015, 06:52 PM
NWG yes. Perkins in a year or two, yes.

seacatfan
07-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Somehow a bunch of BYU players manage to shake off the rust and contribute right away when they come back from their 2 year missions. Is it magic? Maybe Wade will be okay when he eventually hits the floor for GU.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
07-07-2015, 07:33 PM

I've asked this before, but I still don't feel like I understand. A top level, elite basketball player goes two full years without playing competitive basketball, then comes back and is fine? Is that how it's supposed to work and if so...HOW does that work?

seacatfan
07-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Was NWG being projected as a 1st round pick before he decided to transfer? There were reports he was considering declaring for the draft after his Fr. year, I don't think he got the answer he wanted to make the jump. He certainly improved as a soph, but I still don't think he was a 1st round lock. Seems like he still has quite a bit to prove, I don't see it being close to a sure thing he only plays one year for GU. If getting to the NBA sooner rather than later was the goal, sitting out a RS year after transferring doesn't make ANY sense.

seacatfan
07-07-2015, 07:36 PM
I've asked this before, but I still don't feel like I understand. A top level, elite basketball player goes two full years without playing competitive basketball, then comes back and is fine? Is that how it's supposed to work and if so...HOW does that work?

Ask BYU, they certainly have it figured out.

Zags_Fanatic
07-07-2015, 09:10 PM

One trick seems to be timing it so there is time for conditioning before the season. In Jesse's case he left over a month before his high school graduation, this will mean he will have around 5 months after he gets back before the season starts to get back into basketball shape. Based on his blog it seems like he is getting plenty of opportunities to play in France, albeit one day a week. Hopefully he and TJ Haws will end up in the same area so they can give each other some good competition. There are a lot of positives and negatives to the experience, but especially for a guard I would say that the maturity and leadership skills that he will gain in these two years might outweigh the lack of serious competition. Bottom line is that it might hurt his pro prospects if he is a 25 year old senior but it could potentially give him a better college career than if he came in as an 18 year old.

MDABE80
07-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Pirlo to NY?
THIS Get the best and sort it out by performance.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-08-2015, 07:43 AM
Ask BYU, they certainly have it figured out.

One Sweet 16 since the NCAA Tournament went to 64 teams.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-08-2015, 07:45 AM
One trick seems to be timing it so there is time for conditioning before the season. In Jesse's case he left over a month before his high school graduation, this will mean he will have around 5 months after he gets back before the season starts to get back into basketball shape. Based on his blog it seems like he is getting plenty of opportunities to play in France, albeit one day a week. Hopefully he and TJ Haws will end up in the same area so they can give each other some good competition. There are a lot of positives and negatives to the experience, but especially for a guard I would say that the maturity and leadership skills that he will gain in these two years might outweigh the lack of serious competition. Bottom line is that it might hurt his pro prospects if he is a 25 year old senior but it could potentially give him a better college career than if he came in as an 18 year old.

I've been thinking that Haws and Jesse being together isn't good from the "we might lose him to BYU" standpoint, but how hilarious would it be if Haws decommitted from BYU and transferred to GU because JWade talked him into it? :roll:

seacatfan
07-08-2015, 09:07 AM
One Sweet 16 since the NCAA Tournament went to 64 teams.

That's not at all what the conversation is about. A significant portion of their players take 2 year missions and somehow seem to be ready to go back to playing basketball competitively right away.

DukeSilver
07-08-2015, 09:10 AM
That's not at all what the conversation is about. A significant portion of their players take 2 year missions and somehow seem to be ready to go back to playing basketball competitively right away.

The fact that they've failed to show even moderate success in the NCAA tournament could certainly be construed as a commentary on the preparedness of their players returning from their missions ...

cjm720
07-08-2015, 09:10 AM
No reason why anyone can't get back to game speed after a few months of pick up games and a month or so of practice. I firmly believe an older Wade will provide more benefits than negatives.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-08-2015, 09:21 AM
The fact that they've failed to show even moderate success in the NCAA tournament could certainly be construed as a commentary on the preparedness of their players returning from their missions ...

I think it speaks more to Dave Rose then anything to do with kids going on missions.

SLOZag
07-08-2015, 09:22 AM
We might want to simmer down a bit with this "Prichard is coming" business:

"Pritchard's five finalists in November were Oklahoma, Oregon, Gonzaga, Wisconsin and Villanova. Of those five, Pritchard says Oregon is "for sure" under consideration, as is Oklahoma. He didn't know about the other three schools."

"In selecting a school, Pritchard is looking for the entire package, but playing time is a big consideration. "You're looking for a place that's going to give a chance to play right away. That it's a good school, with good players I'm going to be around. I'd like a good environment, and the campus; (state of) Oregon is so beautiful, you want to go to a campus or area that's pretty or similar to it," Pritchard said."

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-4028342784311451316/west-linns-payton-pritchard-says-oregon-oklahoma-among-college-possibilities-but-pool-of-suitors-is-deep/

hooter73
07-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Oregon continues to shine bright in big time recruits and transfers eyes.

DukeSilver
07-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Really hope the staff gets in contact soon and puts us in the running.

seacatfan
07-08-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm going to agree to disagree with several on this thread about BYU. At least they consistently get to the NCAA Tourney, and also are usually near the top of their conference. Many, many teams that don't have a bunch of players going on 2 year missions don't have the consistency BYU does. I've never looked at the 2 year mission thing as a disadvantage, in fact I see it as the opposite. They get a bunch of players that are more physically mature (probably emotionally/mentally as well) than their opponents. Anyway as far as a failure to make runs in the Tourney, how many NBA players has BYU produced? Not many at all. Not many programs are capable of making noise in the Tourney without having NBA caliber players.

And it's kind of funny because several posters consistently overrate BYU heading into the Tourney, this year particularly. Just because they beat GU once doesn't mean much. I predicted they would be one and out this year and they didn't disappoint.

TexasZagFan
07-08-2015, 09:51 AM

More of a commentary on the WCC not preparing them for postseason tournaments... :lmao:

hooter73
07-08-2015, 10:03 AM
No reason why anyone can't get back to game speed after a few months of pick up games and a month or so of practice. I firmly believe an older Wade will provide more benefits than negatives.

Absolutely. I'm sure there is some adjustment, but GBJ talked multiple times about the adjustment when he first got here to the speed of the college game. Everyone has an adjustment and Jesse's time frame of when he gets on campus is going to be no different than any other incoming freshman. The fact that he will be a few years older/wiser/mature will only help in his understanding of what it takes on and off the court and how to get up to speed, plus becoming an instant leader if nothing else for his age but also he's a known leader with a Pangos-esque work ethic.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-08-2015, 10:03 AM
We might want to simmer down a bit with this "Prichard is coming" business:

"Pritchard's five finalists in November were Oklahoma, Oregon, Gonzaga, Wisconsin and Villanova. Of those five, Pritchard says Oregon is "for sure" under consideration, as is Oklahoma. He didn't know about the other three schools."

"In selecting a school, Pritchard is looking for the entire package, but playing time is a big consideration. "You're looking for a place that's going to give a chance to play right away. That it's a good school, with good players I'm going to be around. I'd like a good environment, and the campus; (state of) Oregon is so beautiful, you want to go to a campus or area that's pretty or similar to it," Pritchard said."

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-4028342784311451316/west-linns-payton-pritchard-says-oregon-oklahoma-among-college-possibilities-but-pool-of-suitors-is-deep/

No suprise there. Oregon actually has needs for a guard like him and he can stay close to home.

He reminds me of a not as good version of Ryan Arcidiacono so I think he could slip right in at Nova too. Lots of schools out there for him, kid has plenty of high level options.

ZagsObserver
07-08-2015, 10:22 AM
I'm happy with current crop of point guards. Will be excited to see NWG and Wade. Let's focus on positions of need.

#1bulldogfan
07-08-2015, 11:15 AM
&1. However, having the 7th ranked point guard for his position sign and become a Gonzaga Bulldog would be huge. I do believe Few could find some minutes for such a highly ranked player and I also believe the team would gladly share some minutes to have him on board. Lets be excited about the possibility and let coaches worry about the how to. All positive vibes out to Payton!

cggonzaga
07-08-2015, 12:05 PM
That it's a good school, with good players I'm going to be around. I'd like a good environment, and the campus

I choose this quote from that article. Am hoping his playing with Mr. Collins had a big impact on him and they bonded. I'm still not worried about the playing time issue because I think he'll get plenty. Maybe that should worry me more.

cjm720
07-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Imagine if Collins helps us land Pritchard and Bailey...exponential recruiting!

Baseline
07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
What I like about wade is that he can be a Shooting Guard as well as a point, so few can rotate the talent for a year as wade gets used to the system and the speed, it should work out great.
The mission looks more like a Mormon system of turning their young men into leaders. We will have a mature kid that should fit in real well and be positioned to lead very early.

zagfan94
07-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Or it could be an indication of quality of the players before they go on their missions.

MTZag03
07-08-2015, 03:24 PM
I'm all for Wade and the UW transfer personally. I just think we are too loaded at the position. If it were a small forward, well I'd love more depth there.

cggonzaga
07-08-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm all for Wade and the UW transfer personally.

NWG will have graduated before Wade gets here.

ZagsObserver
07-08-2015, 03:35 PM
NWG will have graduated before Wade gets here.

True, but Perkins and NWG would be here, right? My guess is NWG will only play one year, so it could work, I suppose, particularly if Perkins does not stay all four

cggonzaga
07-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Perkins could be here as a senior but not NWG. He only has 2 years eligibility. He graduates after the 2016 season while Wade won't be here until 2017.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-08-2015, 05:20 PM
NWG has two years of eligibility starting in 2016, he'll be a redshirt senior when Wade is a freshman.

SteelZag
07-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Tweet from Jeff Borzello,

ESPN 100 Brendan Bailey told me he's considering taking a mission before college and enrolling as a freshman in 2018.

This is an interesting development. I see where his taking a mission was mentioned briefly a few weeks ago, but I never really saw anything that was concrete. I suppose his mission would really depend on where he goes and the needs of the school.

DukeSilver
07-08-2015, 05:53 PM

ESPN 100 Brendan Bailey told me he's considering taking a mission before college and enrolling as a freshman in 2018.

This is an interesting development.

Pretty sure this has already been discussed pretty widely on this board. He hasn't yet decided, but if I were to place a bet, it would be on Bailey not playing until 2018.

ZagaZags
07-08-2015, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4ZlQVrKO8iI

#1bulldogfan
07-08-2015, 08:59 PM
:clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4ZlQVrKO8iI

cggonzaga
07-08-2015, 11:39 PM
NWG has two years of eligibility starting in 2016, he'll be a redshirt senior when Wade is a freshman.

My bad. This is true.

cjm720
07-09-2015, 08:16 AM

This is an interesting development. I see where his taking a mission was mentioned briefly a few weeks ago, but I never really saw anything that was concrete. I suppose his mission would really depend on where he goes and the needs of the school.

Interesting, hadn't considered this but of course makes sense.

GoZags
07-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Sounds like Pritchard's girlfriend going to Oregon will be the key element in his decision (to go to Oregon).

exclusivelee
07-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Time to move on from Payton Pritchard. Gonzaga is out of consideration.

JaQuori McLaughlin (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=54280) would be a fine addition, though

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/07/payton_pritchard_states_top_ho.html

July 19, 2015

Arizona State, Baylor, Cal, Kansas, Louisville and Michigan have all entered the fold, but Pritchard said he is open to nearly every school that is pursuing him. Gonzaga, he confirmed, is one program that is no longer under consideration.

Read more here: http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/07/payton_pritchard_states_top_ho.html

hooter73
07-19-2015, 08:16 AM
not a bad problem to have that we have so many talented guards stacked up for years to come

jazzdelmar
07-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Handwriting on wall was quite clear. Zags are loaded, try elsewhere. GL, PP.

gonzagafan62
07-19-2015, 10:51 AM

JaQuori McLaughlin (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=54280) would be a fine addition, though

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/07/payton_pritchard_states_top_ho.html

Never really seemed like he was in discussion

gonzagafan62
07-19-2015, 11:06 AM

Dbl post sorry