PDA

View Full Version : Draftexpress's review of Sabonis and Wiltjer at the Nike Skills Acadamy

Mojo13
07-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Fair observations keeping in mind they are looking at NBA potential.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Nike-Academy-Scouting-Reports-College-Power-ForwardCenter-Prospects-5155/

maineblackbear
07-06-2015, 04:46 PM
very nice post- Wiltjer's review is exactly what I expected to read- Sabonis' surprised me as I think we assume he is an okay shooter because of his FG%.... but if you think about it, yeah, I can see all these criticisms as spot on.

Really thinking next year will be fun; best talent we will have ever had on the floor. Best team? We will see. thanks for posting. mbb

Baseline
07-06-2015, 05:42 PM
A great write up that matches what we saw last year on the court. Kyle came on stronger in rebounding and defense the last part of the year, I was hoping that would not be such a negative when against the talented folks. Overall his revue was quite positive as he still has time to improve the defense. I loved the comment on the potential to be the scoring leader this next year.
Sabonis's revue was very accurate I believe. The ability to defend sounded quite positive and may point to him being able to guard most 3's this coming year. That may change how the game is played this year. I noticed the games in Europe earlier that he dribbled more and tried to take it to the rim off full length dribble. He also took more shots, so I think he is working on his week points. I wish him luck in expanding his offense.

Reborn
07-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Great review!

zagamatic
07-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Regarding Wiltjer on the defensive end, it seems whenever he gets beat on the perimeter I see him getting caught looking at the face of the offensive player and not their torso. I was always taught to only look at an offensive player from the shoulders down. It's just too easy to get faked out by looking at someone's face. BTW, I was considered our lock down defender despite being the slowest runner on the team. Was anyone else taught this way?

Mr Vulture
07-06-2015, 07:58 PM
At this point in time we all know what Wiltjer is...he WILL have an NBA career as a stretch four but never a star. Think a player like Matt Bonner which is not bad at all. I would be shocked, regardless of his play this year, if Sabonis turned pro since money was not the motivation for coming to GU. I expect him to earn his degree before turning pro although a lottery guarantee could change that. In the end, I feel comfortable saying Domas will be here two more years and have a long career in the NBA.

raise the zag
07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Cognizant & fair analysis.

Nuthin' Zag fans didn't already know.

Btw, the guys do most of their weightroom/muscle activity in the off-season and primarily "maintain" throughout the season, considering practice, drills, film, school, rehabing concurrent injuries, etc don't allow for being sore for heavy/muscle building workouts.

They still lift in season per se, yet it's rare, more within framework of staying in shape. In addition, excessive cardio limits muscle growth, strength training, etc.

Having said that, it was noted by players & past players alike, Sabonis coinsistently went above and beyond. He hit the weights hard all season long. So much so, he was asked to "cool it" a bit. His tenacity & work ethic is off the charts. He wants to get stronger, better, bigger, be the best he can be.

Again, nothing we didn't already know, yet the snippet about him nearly working TOO hard &/or over-exerting himself DURING the season caught my attn.

He works out like a professional and plays like a professional. Must go hard all the time. Year around. Practice and games. Playing in Euroleague at 17 and having a father in the NBA was a blessing for him.

Off-season & pre-season are treated much differently than reg season. Save for red-shirts of course.

CDC84
07-06-2015, 09:44 PM
The Sabonis write up does nothing but confirm my belief that he needs at least one year at Gonzaga as the go to big man on offense. That's not likely going to occur this year.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-07-2015, 06:52 AM
Regarding Wiltjer on the defensive end, it seems whenever he gets beat on the perimeter I see him getting caught looking at the face of the offensive player and not their torso. I was always taught to only look at an offensive player from the shoulders down. It's just too easy to get faked out by looking at someone's face. BTW, I was considered our lock down defender despite being the slowest runner on the team. Was anyone else taught this way?

I was by certain coaches, but I still sucked at perimeter defense.

jazzdelmar
07-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Fair on Wilt but really underrated DSs motor, which is his #1 asset going forward.