PDA

View Full Version : Zags in Summer League July 2015

ZagNative
07-02-2015, 05:09 PM
NBA summer League starts on July 4th, and we'll get a chance to see the following Zags play:

Steven Gray, Brooklyn Nets
Matt Bouldin, D-League Select
David Stockton, Sacramento
Kevin Pangos, Dallas Mavericks

Schedule starts like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rPZLaf_Nojo/VZXfULBnDQI/AAAAAAACjI8/G04heztzsWo/s521/2015-07-02%252520Summer%252520League.jpg

Website (http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150704/?iref:nba:sl:subnav)

MDABE80
07-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Excellent! Thank YOU ZN!!

Radbooks
07-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks, ZN! It's sure a weird schedule with Gray's team playing 7 games and the others only playing 3 games.

ZagNative
07-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks, ZN! It's sure a weird schedule with Gray's team playing 7 games and the others only playing 3 games.Yeah, I think Brooklyn is playing in both Orlando and Las Vegas. They have a big roster, so maybe they'll split up between the two sites.

sittingon50
07-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Thanks Native.

Bogozags
07-03-2015, 04:25 AM
Thanks ZN you are TOPS in my book!

ZagNative
07-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Well, is this good news for Kevin Pangos and bad news for David Stockton?

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN
Rajon Rondo has agreed to a 1-year deal with Sacramento worth $10 million, sources told ESPN.

webspinnre
07-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I feel like I'm missing something - why would it be good for Kevin?

VinnyZag
07-03-2015, 08:50 PM
I feel like I'm missing something - why would it be good for Kevin?

Rondo was with the Mavs last year. His absence theoretically could help Pangos' chances of making the Dallas roster.

Jstock12
07-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Rondo was with the Mavs last year. His absence theoretically could help Pangos' chances of making the Dallas roster.

Strange. The way Rondo has been playing I would think it's the other way around.

Birddog
07-04-2015, 02:15 AM
Rondo has all the earmarks of a "headcase". I'm surprised anybody signed him after his last two stints.

Zagpower
07-04-2015, 06:15 AM
Can't wait to follow the drama as Coach Karl tries to deal with Rondo and Cousins. Train wreck.

ZaGranny
07-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Rita on twitter:
Rita Gray ‏@RitaJean89 16m16 minutes ago
Check @StevenGray32 out on nba tv at 2pm pt #NBASummerLeague
1 retweet 1 favorite
Reply Retweet1 Favorite1
More

ZaGranny

ZagZombie
07-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Kevin's chances hurt if Mav's sign Lin?

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/13198216/dallas-mavericks-set-sights-jeremy-lin

MiamiZags
07-04-2015, 04:32 PM
More than anything, this is a tryout for the whole league. If I recall correctly, Lin himself played for the Mavs summer league team and impressed enough to get an offer from the Warriors. The most important roster decisions are probably on how many other PGs there are on the Mavs summer league team - so KP can get the most burn.

Bogozags
07-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Rita on twitter:
Rita Gray ‏@RitaJean89 16m16 minutes ago
Check @StevenGray32 out on nba tv at 2pm pt #NBASummerLeague
1 retweet 1 favorite
Reply Retweet1 Favorite1
More

ZaGranny

ZaGranny,
I didn't see Steven, so is that what your post meant?

ZaGranny
07-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Yes. Steven was in for most of the 2nd quarter and most of the 4th.

#27 (32 was his GU number @StevenGray32 is his twitter handle. Rita is his wife--also a GU grad.)

ZaGranny

zag67
07-04-2015, 06:38 PM
How did he do?

ZaGranny
07-04-2015, 06:48 PM
I thought he looked pretty good. I could not find the stats to put them in my last post. He had several assists, missed a few shots, and missed 2 FT's , which is almost shocking.

The Nets lost by 8, but to my eye they did a lot better when Steven was in--they were down by as much as 16 when he was not in.

Rita's tweets during the game:

Rita Gray ‏@RitaJean89 4h4 hours ago
One of these 3s have got to drop!

Rita Gray ‏@RitaJean89 5h5 hours ago
Shot 94% from FT line on the season and just missed 2 FT
0 retweets 0 favorites
Reply Retweet Favorite
More
Rita Gray ‏@RitaJean89 5h5 hours ago
He's checked in
0 retweets 0 favorites
Reply Retweet Favorite
More

Too bad I can't copy her emoticons!..

ZaGranny

ZagNative
07-04-2015, 06:52 PM
How did he do?Lots of minutes, quiet stat line. Box Score (http://www.nba.com/games/20150704/MEMBKN/gameinfo.html)

ZaGranny
07-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Halftime. Steven has not been in yet.

ZaGranny

Bogozags
07-05-2015, 02:34 PM
I wonder what type of compensation FA's receive for being on the roster of these summer league teams...

It is a shame Steven didn't get to play but if his compensation is decent, that might take some of the pain away from not playing.

Zag 77
07-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Matt is 27 years old. He has played NBA summer league before. I have to wonder if playing for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants is worth it. He can't be making much money in the "D" League. Maybe he should play in Europe for a couple of years and make some money before he turns 30.

I am sorry he did not get a better look from the NBA. He was a solid Zag, through and through.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I think Brooklyn is playing in both Orlando and Las Vegas. They have a big roster, so maybe they'll split up between the two sites.

Orlando's roster is so big that they have 2 teams participating in their summer league down there... wow.

ZaGranny
07-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Orlando's roster is so big that they have 2 teams participating in their summer league down there... wow.

I heard one of the announcers say during the OR Blue team game that they formed 2 teams to guarantee an even number of teams.

ZaGranny

webspinnre
07-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Matt is 27 years old. He has played NBA summer league before. I have to wonder if playing for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants is worth it. He can't be making much money in the "D" League. Maybe he should play in Europe for a couple of years and make some money before he turns 30.

I am sorry he did not get a better look from the NBA. He was a solid Zag, through and through.

He spent some time overseas, and for whatever reason seemed to keep having issues.

MDABE80
07-06-2015, 11:11 AM
http://www.kitsapsun.com/sports/ex-zags-star-bouldin-fails-drug-test-released

As chicken s**t as this might be ( I don't know) , I think this has followed our boy. Messy deal but if I was an NBA scout, I'd look hard at how he's done in the D League. He's tearing it up.

DixieZag
07-06-2015, 11:54 AM
http://www.kitsapsun.com/sports/ex-zags-star-bouldin-fails-drug-test-released

As chicken s**t as this might be ( I don't know) , I think this has followed our boy. Messy deal but if I was an NBA scout, I'd look hard at how he's done in the D League. He's tearing it up.

Wow. I agree on your assessment. It says he was trying to lose some weight. As far as I know, those substances are often over the counter in those "energy" and "diet" things and it is entirely possible he did not know, nor did he intend, to violate anything. That really is questionable in terms of failing anything and fairness.

I hope that wasn't the reason.

ZaGranny
07-06-2015, 12:03 PM
I remember other articles (I think quoting his dad) that said he had not been paid since November 2010. In January he had a cold and asked the trainer if it was OK to take the antihistamine. Trainer said yes, he took it. He got tested and released. It always sounded like a set-up to me to get out of paying him.

ZaGranny

Bogozags
07-06-2015, 12:32 PM
NBA summer League starts on July 4th, and we'll get a chance to see the following Zags play:

Steven Gray, Brooklyn Nets
Matt Bouldin, D-League Select
David Stockton, Sacramento
Kevin Pangos, Dallas Mavericks

Schedule starts like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rPZLaf_Nojo/VZXfULBnDQI/AAAAAAACjI8/G04heztzsWo/s521/2015-07-02%252520Summer%252520League.jpg

Website (http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150704/?iref:nba:sl:subnav)

ZN,

From going to the website, they are not showing all summer league games...only those at Thomas Mack...will NBA Channel be showing the other games at a later time?

TheGonzagaFactor
07-06-2015, 01:24 PM
ZN,

From going to the website, they are not showing all summer league games...only those at Thomas Mack...will NBA Channel be showing the other games at a later time?

From my experiences the last couple of years, no. They want you to buy the NBA Summer League Live package through NBA dot com. I've even seen several SL games BLACKED OUT when I was living in Seattle/Spokane which is on another level of f'd up.

ZaGranny
07-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Nice article on the 4 Zags on gozags.com

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070715aaa.html

ZaGranny

sittingon50
07-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Thanks Granny.

ZagNative
07-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Steven Gray's Nets up next on NBA TV. Hopefully, he'll be in the lineup today.

ZagNative
07-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Live Stats, Brooklyn vs. Charlotte (http://www.nba.com/games/20150707/BKNCHA/gameinfo.html)

ZagNative
07-09-2015, 06:23 AM
Steven Gray's Brooklyn Nets play the Orlando White today at noon. Live stats will be here. (http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150709/)

ZagNative
07-10-2015, 11:20 AM
ZN,

From going to the website, they are not showing all summer league games...only those at Thomas Mack...will NBA Channel be showing the other games at a later time?Are you looking at this website? (http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150710/) It's the one I use, and all the games are shown on NBA TV (630 comcast in HD in Spokane).

Times for Zag games today:

1:00 Steven Gray, Brooklyn vs. Charleston
3:30 David Stockton, Sacramento vs. Toronto
7:00 Matt Bouldin, D-league Select vs. Houston

ZaGranny
07-10-2015, 11:55 AM
According to Rita's tweets after the second game, Steven has left summer league (sorry I can't locate them).

I did check the box of last game and he was not on the box score.

ZaGranny

Bogozags
07-10-2015, 12:42 PM
ZN - Thanks for the website...I do appreciate your assistance!

ZaGranny - Steve was not on the bench last night...I saw a picture of him and his lovely wife posted I believe by Zagazags in another thread right after his last game, where he played about 14 minutes - where I asked about the salary they made in Summer League.

IMO...he either dropped off their squad because of lack of playing time or he will once again play in Las Vegas. I watched his last game very closely and rewound several plays and I noticed that his "teammates" really didn't pass him the ball much. The ball was passed to the other four players and it just appeared to me, as if he wasn't on the court. It was like they ran plays to the side opposite of where he was almost every time. It could well be that the coaching staff already has their eye on bringing four to five guys to camp and Steven isn't one of them...just my observations. Heck, I could of had my head cocked incorrectly so what I saw wasn't what I really saw...

ZagNative
07-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Stockton did not play. Sprained left ankle.

SageOfZagville
07-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Pangos first game - 90-86 loss against the Pelicans

Min 27:21, FGM-A 2-7, 3PM-A 1-4, +/- -6, OFF REB 0, DEF REB 1, ASST 6, PF 5, ST 0, PTS 5.

ZagNative
07-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Found a live stream of the Dallas games here: Link to live stream. (http://www.mavs.com/watch-the-2015-dallas-mavericks-summer-league-games-live/?utm_source=TW&utm_medium=ORG&utm_content=MavsSLStream&utm_campaign=MARK_071115)

ZagNative
07-11-2015, 02:53 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oB8tMYVox1Q/VaGcOehukpI/AAAAAAACjik/6nOFIR6_gos/s912-Ic42/2015-07-11%252520Kevin%252520Pangos%252520NO%252520Box%252 520Score.jpg

Bouldin4Prez
07-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Good that he had no turnovers. Showing he can run an offense against the athleticism of the nba is going to be vital for Kevin's success

Zagger
07-12-2015, 03:56 AM
Stockton did not play. Sprained left ankle.
Dang! I'm still loving just how well David is doing though. Tough kid - good player. Can't wait to see where David's at this time next year.

Zagger
07-12-2015, 03:59 AM
Good that he had no turnovers. Showing he can run an offense against the athleticism of the nba is going to be vital for Kevin's success

Personal Fouls = 5 .... scrappy too. Hope his shot improves!

raise the zag
07-12-2015, 05:11 AM
Personal Fouls = 5 .... scrappy too. Hope his shot improves!

It will.

Kevin is one of the best shooters in the country -- at any level -- yet the issue is his shooting touch requires him to be calm.

Remember his 1st 2 season AWAY from the Kennel. Sub-35%.

Remember his 1st few games of all his NCAA Tournament games. Sub-35%

Remember his WCC Tournament games prior to his last 2 seasons. Sub-35%

Remember his 1st games against blue bloods. Sub-35%

Point is, he's got to figure out the mental aspect of his shooting form. When game is on the line, end of halves, big stage, etc, his shooting suffers. Some players are 30% career shooters, yet 50% in biggest moments. Kevin is the inverse of this, at least in terms of shooting.

He's a gamer. I think he could make the Mavs roster. They see him shooting in practice, drills, scrimmages, regular season college games, and know he's a Blue-Chip shooter. And at running an offense.

He's got to figure out the mental part of being a professional on the biggest stage.

Once he does that, he has a shooter's chance of making the league, at least for awhile.

Gonezagaga
07-12-2015, 08:43 AM
3 of Kevin's personal fouls were intentional fouls. One at the end of the first half when the team had a foul to give, the other 2 were to stop the clock at the end of the game. He actually played pretty good defense. Most of Seth Curry's points came when someone other than Kevin was guarding him.

Mantua
07-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Dallas v Portland is scheduled today at 7pm on ch 617 CSN Comcast Spokane.

Sacramento v Denver is scheduled at 10:30 pm on ch 630 NBATV Comcast Spokane.

Ezag
07-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Summer league ball is terrible. Terrible passing, terrible shooting....hard to watch

SageOfZagville
07-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Pangos with 8 early points.

http://www.mavs.com/watch-the-2015-dallas-mavericks-summer-league-games-live/?utm_source=TW&utm_medium=ORG&utm_content=MavsSLStream&utm_campaign=MARK_071115

Mantua
07-12-2015, 06:28 PM

http://www.mavs.com/watch-the-2015-dallas-mavericks-summer-league-games-live/?utm_source=TW&utm_medium=ORG&utm_content=MavsSLStream&utm_campaign=MARK_071115

Thanks for the link. CSN is showing skiing. Thanks for your TV guidance Comcast.

SageOfZagville
07-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Kevin showing he can run a team, although there are some very selfish players on the Mav's. 10 points in the first half. He is showing his liability on defense. Two straight times down the court his opponent got to the rim. He also didn't close out very well and the player went right by him. Otherwise a solid first half.

ZagNative
07-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Nice game, Kev!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jy7LduMUtXY/VaM159GUuJI/AAAAAAACjjE/GrhlcHoFaBw/s912-Ic42/2015-07-12%252520Kevin%252520Pangos%252520Portland.jpg

Mantua
07-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Kevin showing he can run a team, although there are some very selfish players on the Mav's. 10 points in the first half. He is showing his liability on defense. Two straight times down the court his opponent got to the rim. He also didn't close out very well and the player went right by him. Otherwise a solid first half.

Kevin ended with twelve points. There would have been a lot of assists if his teammates hadn't thrown up so many bricks. I credit Kevin with a lot of patience playing with those guys. Powell seemed like a pretty decent teammate. Kevin guarded better in the second half. Frazier is a handful. There was a little help on D toward the end of the second half. The summer league Mavs have only one passer on the team. Kevin.

OZZY
07-12-2015, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the link Sage!

It was great watching him albeit on a fuzzy screen...

Good ball security and distribution 11A/1TO over the two games so far. If his teammates are not throwing up bricks, they are getting fouled.......

He and Powell have played together before on the last Canadian University games team. Powell could end up being the Mavs backup PF so the relationship is an important one for KP.

SageOfZagville
07-13-2015, 06:35 AM
Dallas got behind at the end of the first half and never caught up after that. It was when they put in their Indian recruit Singh. He is a "huge" work-in-progress. Very, very, slow up and down the court, and cannot protect the basket at all. The announcers were saying that Cuban drafted him so that Dallas would capture the Indian fan base. I'm not sure if Indians even know they have a National Basketball Team, let alone a player that got drafted. The one sport they go bonkers over is Cricket.

OZZY
07-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Dallas got behind at the end of the first half and never caught up after that. It was when they put in their Indian recruit Singh. He is a "huge" work-in-progress. Very, very, slow up and down the court, and cannot protect the basket at all. The announcers were saying that Cuban drafted him so that Dallas would capture the Indian fan base. I'm not sure if Indians even know they have a National Basketball Team, let alone a player that got drafted. The one sport they go bonkers over is Cricket.

You are sure right about the cricket, the whole country is united about this sport. The top players are treated like demi-gods. Even players from other countries like Australia are treated like superstars everywhere they go.

ZaGranny
07-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Stocks in for the Kings on NBA TV.

ZaGranny

zag buddy
07-13-2015, 03:32 PM
I was at the practice where David turned his ankle on the first play of the scrimmage. He went up for a rebound and apparently came down on someones foot. Hope he is completely healed.

Bogozags
07-13-2015, 04:01 PM

Frazier kept getting picks and he received very little help from the bigs when Frazier got by him. It was evident that KP's weakness is his lack of lateral quickness, which really hampered his ability to keep up with Frazier. He could of had a double-double but his teammates were unable to finish. His competition will be Felton and it could well wind up a "business" decision as I'm sure Felton made nearly $4M last season and Kevin, as an undrafted free agent would be paid league minimum...I think this is how Kevin gets on the Mav's...

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Frazier kept getting picks and he received very little help from the bigs when Frazier got by him. It was evident that KP's weakness is his lack of lateral quickness, which really hampered his ability to keep up with Frazier. He could of had a double-double but his teammates were unable to finish. His competition will be Felton and it could well wind up a "business" decision as I'm sure Felton made nearly $4M last season and Kevin, as an undrafted free agent would be paid league minimum...I think this is how Kevin gets on the Mav's...

As much as I'd like that scenario to play out for Pangos' sake, Mark Cuban isn't the type of owner to let a few million bucks hamstring his GM from signing best available players. Pangos will have to get some separation from Felton by his performance not his paycheck.

23dpg
07-13-2015, 08:13 PM
Felton? Are we talking about Raymond Felton?

My biggest concern there is that Felton might eat Pangos.

ZagaZags
07-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Felton? Are we talking about Raymond Felton?

My biggest corners there is that Felton might eat Pangos.

Yes, 31 year old Raymond Felton from North Carolina.

OZZY
07-13-2015, 09:32 PM
I have looked at what the Mavs fans think of KP...compared to the Celtics Board, the Mavs board(s) are pathetic.

By now the Celtics board would have a 4-5 page thread on the pros and cons of KP making the team. Hardly anyone Mavs fans even notice KP is even playing.

IMHO I see him being on an opening day roster somewhere in the NBA this year. Coaches like him and he has shown good ball security. As I said previously the longer he stays with a team the better he will look and create for his teammates.

23dpg
07-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Yes, 31 year old Raymond Felton from North Carolina.

He played for the Blazers for a year or two. I still can't believe an NBA point guard could let himself get THAT out of shape. He has eaten his way out of what could have been a good career.

http://pinwheelempire.esnempire.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/03/felton3.jpg

Bouldin4Prez
07-13-2015, 10:20 PM
The main thing to remember here is Kevin needs to show he can play somewhat adequate defense out there. The NBA coaches know Kevin can be a serviceable backup PG offensively. The NBA has turned into a guard oriented league. Kevin has always had issues with lateral quickness. Couple that with the fact that a lot of the NBA PG's are 6'3+ and much longer than Kevin and he will have issues. Also, please don't point out to me that John Stockton was able to defend in the NBA, we all know that. Kevin's case is completely different as the NBA has obviously shifted eras. Dellavedova is able to defend in the NBA due to the fact that he is 6'4 and can make up for his lack of foot speed with his size. Dellavedova brings a physicality and tenacity to the game that not many others match, which in no disrespect to Kevin, he does not bring. Kevin has always been a cool, level-headed player. Unfortunately at this point in his career, I think that is something that doesn't help him as it used to.

TexasZag
07-14-2015, 05:18 AM
Kevin has always been a cool, level-headed player. Unfortunately at this point in his career, I think that is something that doesn't help him as it used to.

I'm not so sure that I agree with this. The Mavs have been put through the wringer of-late by immature, emotional jerks (Odom and Rondo, to name a few), And they experienced firsthand how a loose cannon at PG is especially damaging. So maybe the Mavs won't buy into this idea that someone needs to be demonstrative and highly emotional to be effective. Kevin can get fired up, but he doesn't lose it. I believe this is a good quality in a PG (think Jason Kidd and Steve Nash), so I do not see Kevin's temperment being a negative. His lack of size/length and speed will hurt him more. But you also have to remember, Dallas has been quite successful over the years with a "slow" and defensively-weak German headlining the roster, so we'll see. And given the environment of summer league, Kevin has been relatively effective at defending the perimeter. In a more structured setting he'd have help underneath to seal off those drives that seem to be eating him up at the moment. Cuban and Nelson are analytical and purposed (one of those "purposes" being clearing cap space for future moves), if nothing else, so we'll see.

I'd love to see Kevin in Dallas. My fear is that he winds up in D-League first, and then gets picked up by somebody else. That would be another gut-punch, like when the Mavs drafted KO and promptly traded him to Boston.

northsidezagfan
07-14-2015, 06:41 AM
Box scores from yesterday:
Stockton (http://www.nba.com/games/20150713/GSWSAC/gameinfo.html?ls=slt)
Bouldin (http://www.nba.com/games/20150713/DLSATL/gameinfo.html?ls=slt)

Bogozags
07-14-2015, 07:13 AM
There has to be an upside for any NBA team to put KP on their 2015-16 roster. We know he can shoot it AND he has a A/TO ration of 12-1. He will also make the league minimum salary, so there are three positives. Now on the negative side, he has slow feet, he is vertically challenged and his arms are also short. So whatever team might be interested in him, they have to weigh the three positives he brings with under average physical attributes.

As G-Flex stated, Cuban is a business man but is unlikely to hamper his GM in making player choices if there is CAP space. Kevin would have to prove he can adjust his defense and play smarter - just as a pitcher studies his opponents batting order for weaknesses, Kevin will also have to study his opponents in much the same way to find himself an advantage. EH had much the same problem where he was unable to "keep-up" with many of the SF's he faced because he didn't have the foot speed...his overall game was pretty sound but needed the one advantage and that was his outside shooting, which proved to be erratic at times.

I hope Kevin makes it to camp and gets to play in NBA Pre-Season games to prove to one and all his three strengths make up for any physical weaknesses...fingers are crossed.

ZagNative
07-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Kevins Dallas Mustangs play the Washington Wizards at 12:30 pm.

Live video wil bestreamed here. (http://www.mavs.com/watch-the-2015-dallas-mavericks-summer-league-games-live/?utm_source=TW&utm_medium=ORG&utm_content=MavsSLStream&utm_campaign=MARK_071115)

Live stats will be here. (http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150714/)

Radbooks
07-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Kevin's game will also be on at 1:00 a.m. on NBA TV tonight. I tape the games that are delayed like that and watch them on my t.v. the next day. That way I can just fast forward to the parts where the GU guys are playing. :)

TheGonzagaFactor
07-14-2015, 10:03 AM
He played for the Blazers for a year or two. I still can't believe an NBA point guard could let himself get THAT out of shape. He has eaten his way out of what could have been a good career.

http://pinwheelempire.esnempire.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/03/felton3.jpg

This picture/post just make me think of Pargo.

ZagNative
07-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Kevin starting again.

Live stats (http://www.nba.com/games/20150714/WASDAL/gameinfo.html)

Live video stream (http://www.mavs.com/watch-the-2015-dallas-mavericks-summer-league-games-live/?utm_source=TW&utm_medium=ORG&utm_content=MavsSLStream&utm_campaign=MARK_071115)

dnj116
07-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the link ZN.

Only watched the last couple minutes of the game, and what previous people said was not an exaggeration -- there is terrible team basketball played. As soon as someone gets the ball in the half court they just chuck up a shot whether or not they were open. Pretty ugly.

Regarding KP, although he's certainly played better, I thought he did pretty well for the most part. I saw him get a couple steals, stayed in front of his man, didn't turn over the ball, had a nice transition bucket, and was the only person actually passing the basketball and making things work for the team. However, KP also had a transition 3 pointer that air-balled. I think I can count on one hand the number of times he air balled a 3 while playing at GU... Hope his poor 3 pt shooting percentage doesn't harm his chances -- the Mavs GM will at least have his college body of work to look at in making a decision on him.

IowaSERE
07-14-2015, 01:55 PM
I was listening to the game and thought that was an ally oop attempt but the Mavs player didn't go up for it.

OZZY
07-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the link ZN.

Only watched the last couple minutes of the game, and what previous people said was not an exaggeration -- there is terrible team basketball played. As soon as someone gets the ball in the half court they just chuck up a shot whether or not they were open. Pretty ugly.

Regarding KP, although he's certainly played better, I thought he did pretty well for the most part. I saw him get a couple steals, stayed in front of his man, didn't turn over the ball, had a nice transition bucket, and was the only person actually passing the basketball and making things work for the team. However, KP also had a transition 3 pointer that air-balled. I think I can count on one hand the number of times he air balled a 3 while playing at GU... Hope his poor 3 pt shooting percentage doesn't harm his chances -- the Mavs GM will at least have his college body of work to look at in making a decision on him.

+1

Good points.

He is the Yin to most of his team's Yang.

Loved the pass to Powell for the transition dunk.

Rangerzag
07-14-2015, 04:27 PM
I really like the big goose egg in Kevin's turnover column.

Zagdawg
07-14-2015, 07:03 PM
"The Mavericks brought Pangos in, and with everything going on in the franchise, it looked like one of the best places for Zag's all-time leading three-point shooter to make a NBA team. But as fluid as the offseason is, Dallas just brought in longtime point guard Derron Williams on a two-year deal after the Brooklyn Nets agreed to a $27.5 millon buyout."

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/29549121/pangos-managing-mavs-in-summer-league

ZAG 4 LIFE
07-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Kevin played pretty well in Vegas... 15 to 1 Assist to Turnover ratio is obviously terrific... But
Wow is that an awful summer league team he is stuck with. Tried to figure out why he only
Had 3 assists today... Just maybe it was because his bricklayer Mavs were an astounding
THREE for THIRTY-ONE from 3 point land.

ZagNative
07-15-2015, 03:00 AM
Games today - Live Stats here: (http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150715/)

3:30 PM - David Stockton'sSacramento vs. Golden State
5:30 PM - Kevin Pango's Dallas vs. Los Angeles

hooter73
07-15-2015, 08:38 AM
"The Mavericks brought Pangos in, and with everything going on in the franchise, it looked like one of the best places for Zag's all-time leading three-point shooter to make a NBA team. But as fluid as the offseason is, Dallas just brought in longtime point guard Derron Williams on a two-year deal after the Brooklyn Nets agreed to a $27.5 millon buyout."

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/29549121/pangos-managing-mavs-in-summer-league

I dont follow NBA but that makes sense to have a known quantity veteran of the league point guard come in and someone like Pangos as a second or third option. I think Mills and Delly both kind of went down that route, right?

Zagdawg
07-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Agree-- good option to learn behind some veterans.

DixieZag
07-15-2015, 09:22 AM
To the people that know basketball, and NBA ball, too; Do we think Kevin will make the Mavs team?

Radbooks
07-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Games today - Live Stats here: (http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150715/)

3:30 PM - David Stockton'sSacramento vs. Golden State
5:30 PM - Kevin Pango's Dallas vs. Los Angeles

Both of these games are being shown live this afternoon on the NBA TV station - 156 on DISH.

zagfan24
07-15-2015, 01:41 PM
To the people that know basketball, and NBA ball, too; Do we think Kevin will make the Mavs team?

Their recent acquisition of Deron Williams makes it a bit crowded for the Mavs at the PG spot (Williams, Devin Harris, JJ Barea, and Raymond Felton), with the huge caveat that all of the current PG's on their roster are 31+ and most arguable on the down slope of their career - so there is a clear NEED for a young PG but probably no room, unfortunately. That said, summer league is all about making an impression on any team, though it is best if it's the team you are playing with. Hopefully Kevin can impress somebody enough to give him a shot.

On a COMPLETELY random note, I was looking at their roster to see if Barea was still there and noticed that Williams, Felton, and Barea all have the exact same birthday. How odd is that?

nish_mode
07-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but it looks like a Spanish team is after Kevin. According to Twitter, Herbalife Gran Canaria of the ACB is looking to sign him.

I know we all want Kevin to make an NBA team, from what i've seen i don't think he'll make it. He hasn't been able to break down defenders and he hasn't been able to stay in front of guys on D. Between all the Zags in the summer league, David Stockton is probably the best bet, he's vastly improved his decision making and shooting from his Gonzaga days.

ZagNative
07-15-2015, 04:29 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HLroLsSE4LY/Vab6EJx-PWI/AAAAAAACjlw/zqmJienKsXA/s912-Ic42/2015-07-15%252520David%252520Stockton%252520.jpg

OZZY
07-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but it looks like a Spanish team is after Kevin. According to Twitter, Herbalife Gran Canaria of the ACB is looking to sign him.

I know we all want Kevin to make an NBA team, from what i've seen i don't think he'll make it. He hasn't been able to break down defenders and he hasn't been able to stay in front of guys on D. Between all the Zags in the summer league, David Stockton is probably the best bet, he's vastly improved his decision making and shooting from his Gonzaga days.

Gran Canaria is also home to Canadian power forward Levon Kendall, at least he would have one face he knows

OZZY
07-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Kevin is ice cold from the deep.

The thing is he has had good looks...:(

The Mavs would be up by at least 10 if he had a couple..

Jstock12
07-16-2015, 02:53 AM
If I were to bet I'd say Kevin won't make the Mavs team. Even though he's 6'2, I believe I read somewhere that he only has a wingspan of 5'11.5? Which makes him play even smaller than 6'2. Reach is quite important in the NBA, where you have a LOT of high caliber athletes. Long hands is something that helps you tremendously of the defensive end. And it's not a secret that the PG position is one of the most stacked (if not THE MOST) positions in the NBA, with tons of star-level players. If you want to get some minutes on the court, you have to be able to defend them at least a little bit. And for the record, I would prefer Pangos going to Europe, where he would actually be getting some real minutes to further improve on his craft. That is a much better alternative than grinding the D-League. Players actually make pretty good careers in European leagues. Take Dimitris Diamantidis for example, he's a true legend in Europe. Played his entire career in his home country, but definitely was good enough to be a star in the NBA.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-16-2015, 06:16 AM

Ironically, I remember Cavs and SMC fans saying this about Delly during his first Summer League. Not saying there is any similarity between the two players, I just remember those same issues with Delly.

nish_mode
07-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Ironically, I remember Cavs and SMC fans saying this about Delly during his first Summer League. Not saying there is any similarity between the two players, I just remember those same issues with Delly.

He did do a great job on Deangelo Russell yesterday, however he played an awful game offensively and had a bad turnover near the end of the game.

TexasZag
07-16-2015, 09:17 AM
He did do a great job on Deangelo Russell yesterday, however he played an awful game offensively and had a bad turnover near the end of the game.

I thought Kevin looked tired, especially on the offensive end. I believe nearly all of his 3-point attempts yesterday clanked off of the front of the rim, a sign of tired legs. He's also probably not the focal point of the offense, so the opportunity just wasn't there to shoot himself out of his funk. He is a team player, after all.

Another thing - He's started all four games (over a 5 day stretch) and logged more minutes than any other guard for the Mavs, averaging 27.25 minutes/game. That's a heavy workload at this point. His sub, Wayns (who I thought Gottlieb was way to effusive over), averaged 16 minutes/game playing. But for whatever reason, he was effective against Russell on the perimeter (maybe he was also off). Beyond that he had very little help defensively.

Ok, I'm a homer.

Bogozags
07-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Did Matt Bouldin's team make the playoffs? Seems like he was getting lots of minutes...

ZagNative
07-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Did Matt Bouldin's team make the playoffs? Seems like he was getting lots of minutes...Matt's team plays Kevin's team today. They must have had a bye yesterday.

OZZY
07-16-2015, 03:46 PM
KP can't buy a three!

It is not like he is getting contested, his accuracy is just off...................

The NCAA 2015 3 point champion has missed his last 10 attempts...

He has distributed well with 8 assists as well as 3 steals.

Much better team with Wayns and Pangos as guards with Crawford on the bench.