PDA

View Full Version : SI LIKES SABONIS TO GO IN THE FIRST ROUND NEXT YEAR

ZionZag
06-30-2015, 03:43 PM
No other Zag in the 1st round..........

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/29/nba-draft-2016-kentucky-duke-maryland-ben-simmons-diamond-stone-skal-labissiere

DixieZag
06-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Someone posted that comment by Tommy, that he believed DS was leaving after this year. Some very respected people here say he is here to get his degree, Tommy might be factoring in the hype that always comes at the end of the year.

HenneZag
06-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Someone posted that comment by Tommy, that he believed DS was leave this year. Some very respected people here say he is here to get his degree, Tommy might be factoring in the hype that always comes at the end of the year.

I posted that earlier. He just stated that he believes he will go after this year. I would definitely be ok with DS staying 3 or 4 years though!

hooter73
06-30-2015, 05:16 PM
"Wing"

Ugg.

CDC84
06-30-2015, 11:15 PM
6. Jakob Poeltl, Utah
Sophomore | 7-foot, 235 pounds | center

I have seen nothing out of this kid to suggest that he is better than Sabonis. For one thing, he's nowhere near as tough.

Sabonis just needs to figure out a way to stop picking up cheap fouls.

Chicken Ball
07-01-2015, 05:36 AM
Poeltl's an elite shot blocker. It's true Domas is much better on offense, but shot blocking seven footers are really valuable.

willandi
07-01-2015, 06:03 AM
I absolutely guarantee that Domas will enter the 2016 NBA draft...or he won't! I guarantee it!!

gonzagafan62
07-01-2015, 06:23 AM
I haven't cared what SI thinks since their back page writer left. What was his name again? Been so long since I cared !

CDC84
07-01-2015, 07:26 AM
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/138/p2

Jakob Poeltl was 58th in the country last season in blocks per game. Not sure if that's elite, although he did only play 23 MPG last year.

One college basketball analyst that I am aware of thinks Poeltl is going to be THE bust in next year's draft. Calls him a paper tiger. He was really not impressive during several stretches of the Duke game. He scored more points than Okafor, but that was because Utah was double and triple teaming Okafor the entire night.

CDC84
07-01-2015, 07:39 AM
I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if Sabonis doesn't stay through his junior year unless he gets into the top 6 or something. He doesn't have the financial incentive to enter the league that other kids do. Moreover, I think he needs to have a season without Wiltjer and Karnowski around him where he can be more of the focus on offense. It's important for his development. He has the right advisors around him to make an appropriate decision. I see him leaving when he thinks he's best able to compete in the league....even if it costs him a few spots on the draft board.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
07-01-2015, 08:03 AM
Not sure this is cause for an all caps new thread, as Sabonis was already projected as a 2016 first round pick by both draftexpress.com and nbadraft.net

Anyway, I have no idea of if he'll play 1 more year for the Zags or 2, but I do know one thing.

The idea that Few is going to make the best pro prospect on our team (maybe since Adam) come off the bench the entire season is pretty silly. I think people are getting too caught up in slotting players to a single position 1-5, and forgetting that rotations can change throughout the game.

Maybe it's easier to consider who will finish the games? Come crunch time, do you really want Sabonis sitting on the bench? I'm sure the other team would appreciate that.

Perkins, Dranginis, Sabonis, Wiltjer and Karnowski

McClellan is our backup PG. He'll play with Perkins at times, but his primary role is being on the floor any time Perkins is not. Which is why you stagger their minutes instead of starting them both and having them get tired at the same time.

jazzdelmar
07-01-2015, 08:14 AM
The idea that Few is going to make the best pro prospect on our team (maybe since Adam) come off the bench the entire season is pretty silly. I think people are getting too caught up in slotting players to a single position 1-5, and forgetting that rotations can change throughout the game.

Maybe it's easier to consider who will finish the games? Come crunch time, do you really want Sabonis sitting on the bench? I'm sure the other team would appreciate that.

Perkins, Dranginis, Sabonis, Wiltjer and Karnowski

McClellan is our backup PG. He'll play with Perkins at times, but his primary role is being on the floor any time Perkins is not. Which is why you stagger their minutes instead of starting them both and having them get tired at the same time.

Love it, Hooray.....I (and Dix) are with you.....

gonzagafan62
07-01-2015, 08:15 AM

Id be with it, with Wiltjer at the 3. Even with limited mobility, but I am weird.

sittingon50
07-01-2015, 10:23 AM
I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if Sabonis doesn't stay through his junior year unless he gets into the top 6 or something. He doesn't have the financial incentive to enter the league that other kids do. Moreover, I think he needs to have a season without Wiltjer and Karnowski around him where he can be more of the focus on offense. It's important for his development. He has the right advisors around him to make an appropriate decision. I see him leaving when he thinks he's best able to compete in the league....even if it costs him a few spots on the draft board.

For selfish reasons I want to see Domas stick around for his Jr. year. Eric Mika will be back.

:boxing:

3zagda
07-01-2015, 10:39 AM
I think having that group of 5 in at the same time would be fun to watch. What an offensive nightmare for other teams. Maybe not our best defensive group, but lets just see who can match our scoring.

gonzagafan62
07-01-2015, 11:16 AM
I think having that group of 5 in at the same time would be fun to watch. What an offensive nightmare for other teams. Maybe not our best defensive group, but lets just see who can match our scoring.

They always say, live by the sword, die by it too. My theory is as follows though:

Mark Few will get the players to get the baskets needed to get the win.

amaronizag
07-01-2015, 12:06 PM
I love Sabonis because he plays really hard and because he's so scrappy, can get the ball in the basket and come up with rebounds like nobody else on this team. He plays at a very high level and I can't wait to see what he does with 23-25 minutes a game next year. He will have matured more, gained more composure, and foul less. He improved a lot over the course of the year, but was not NBA ready in my opinion. He doesn't jump very well, doesn't have a 3pt shot (I could care less about mid-rage, it's the biggest possession ender in basketball) and he shot a high percentage because he played where he should be, deep in the paint. I think Karno and Wiltjer are better players at this point in their development. I hope Sabonis eventually passes them with talent, but for now, he's 3rd best on the team IMO. I can't wait to see 3 bigs on the floor for major minutes this year. I feel a lot more comfortable with Wiltjer and his ball handling and shooting skills at the 3 and Sabonis at the 4, if those position names actually mean much. It'll be another great year for sure!!

Bogozags
07-01-2015, 01:05 PM
For selfish reasons I want to see Domas stick around for his Jr. year. Eric Mika will be back.

50, BYU is gonna be awfully strong when he gets back after his mission...JMHO but I think they will be a Top 25 team.

hooter73
07-01-2015, 01:28 PM

YES! Of all the players out there, more than Hawes, Delly, any of the high end opponents we face in league, Mika is the one that has worried me the most. Maybe he will have mellowed and lost his fighting will during his mission lol

I dont know how the three bigs will play together when you just look at their style of play. Sabonis plays so deep that he might as well be a Center. Him and Karno can not occupy the same space and no matter how many reports we hear of Karnos new and improved mid range game or Domas at the small forward, both of their strengths are directly under the rim. Add to that Wiltjer who I think will, like Ammo, turn more than a few game plans into "get the ball to Kyle, get out of the way and watch him score" well I think the real Most Valuable Player will be the coaching staff who can figure out how to play all these guys to their strengths.

Also the idea of going back to all offense, no defense while exciting, is not something I hope to see again

Zagdawg
07-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Would love to get one more year of Sabonis to mentor Collins for his freshman year.

ZionZag
07-01-2015, 03:29 PM
" but I do know one thing, Not sure this is cause for an all caps new thread"

I knew it!!!......Ole and Lena DID have a Son............Sorry Sven, I won't let it happen again....

MDABE80
07-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Domas will need quite a bit of improvement to be a lottery pick. But with devoping his skills, he could be a first rounder. I just want as much of him as we can get. Kyle too. He'll need to much more than a 6 ft 10 in shooter to go high in the draft. I'm just glad we have these two. If our guards fulfill their potential, E 8 or beyond is likely ( with some luck.......in the NCAA's you never know what might happen).

Baseline
07-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Mika will be facing Ryan, J3 and Collins, i think we handle Mika just fine.

DADoZAG
07-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Domas will need quite a bit of improvement to be a lottery pick. But with devoping his skills, he could be a first rounder. I just want as much of him as we can get. Kyle too. He'll need to much more than a 6 ft 10 in shooter to go high in the draft. I'm just glad we have these two. If our guards fulfill their potential, E 8 or beyond is likely ( with some luck.......in the NCAA's you never know what might happen).

Sorry 'bout the gut shot, Abe. Carry'd a touch of truth, however, you must admit.

But I'm a substance guy at heart. You're posts are filled with passion.

We're all on board with ya' in hoping Domas is a Zag for as long as possible.

Agree with those that think we'll be seeing a much more mature player, however, come November. Very little will be new, rather than most everything. He probably can run the sets in his sleep by now.

I also think he'll be set free some this year. There's at least one of the media folks that have been chatting up possibilities. Guy's most likely hearing it from the top.

On the other end of the court I think it was mostly his racing heart that caused the fouls. That end of the court should be much slower for him, calmer, more productive this next year.

That all said, I don't think Domas will be lottery.... next year. 'Still think it'll be the year after because of the reasons that others have very well posted. I think it'll also be because he won't be happy being one step short come the end of this year.

This team has the potential to be better than last, imo, so E8 is very possible. Don't know if they make it, although I don't think it's a crap shoot ('cept for that ****** bug we won't mention).

Although climbing that hill again has several opportunities for slips, even falls, I think the program is ever evolving and is up to the task.

I think another ZAG's gonna tho... be a lottery.

Re-watch the last 6:09 of the @ SMC game. That's what we're going to see much more of after the finishing touches of Mr. Knight.

Giddy...

Go ZAGS!

MDABE80
07-01-2015, 08:17 PM
No worries my friend. Like when I hit 280 or so (instead of 310), I can blame the bat..... or the 8 yr old typewriter;)

Ekrub
07-01-2015, 09:05 PM

Moi aussi

sittingon50
07-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Mika will be facing Ryan, J3 and Collins, i think we handle Mika just fine.

Not worried about handling Mika, baseline. Would just like to see those 2 guys in close proximity of a few rebounds.

gonzagafan62
07-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Not worried about handling Mika, baseline. Would just like to see those 2 guys in close proximity of a few rebounds.

I'm worried about Mika injuring our players. He is one guy I don't like.

Vanzagger
07-02-2015, 03:26 PM
I have seen nothing out of this kid to suggest that he is better than Sabonis. For one thing, he's nowhere near as tough.

Sabonis just needs to figure out a way to stop picking up cheap fouls.

Don't kid yourself. He is a freak and plenty tough. Give the kid a couple years to adapt. I think he will be top 5

zagsfanforlife
07-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Don't kid yourself. He is a freak and plenty tough. Give the kid a couple years to adapt. I think he will be top 5

Mika top 5 in the NBA DRAFT?!?!?!?!

I would be shocked.

sittingon50
07-02-2015, 10:58 PM
I believe the reference was to Poeltl.

Bogozags
07-03-2015, 04:46 AM
I watched Mika play most of his games as a freshman and never once thought he was ever trying to injure any players. In fact, when playing SMC, Jackson turned and punched Mika in the face. Mika never even considered punching back instead he just held the right side of his face with his left hand and said, "Why did you do that?" I don't know him personally but from what I have seen of him, he plays hard and fair. He is nothing like Corbin Kaufsi's brother.

When he returns, he will be playing with Kaufsi (Jr) and Worthington (Sr). Kaufsi made a noticeable improvement the last half of the season, especially for a guy who is (was) a football player. He will be even better next year and really tough his junior year when Mika comes back. I expect those two to start with Worthington coming off the bench to "lean" on Edwards and Collins.

GrizZAG
07-06-2015, 09:15 PM
I haven't cared what SI thinks since their back page writer left. What was his name again? Been so long since I cared !

Rick Rielly the humor writer maybe? He was really funny.

hooter73
07-07-2015, 07:40 AM
, he plays hard and fair.

Exactly. He and Sabonis are really similar in those respects. Do you think any big on any other team looks forward to having to go up against Sabonis lol? My problem is that last year, we saw time and time again mobile bigs that are honestly not all that great, just decimate us. Sabonis trying not to foul, Karno not being able to guard and recover out on the perimeter, KW just not being all that great of a defender... how many threes did that freshman from Colville (Hubbard I think?) sink on us? How many base line fakes and moves to the basket looked all to easy against our bigs all through the WCC season? Way too often for a top front line. Guys like Mika play harder than most, the others gained confidence and skill after showings like they had against us last year, an elite 8 team. Edwards is Karno 2.0 so I'm not seeing much help there, Collins may be able to protect the rim a bit more than we are used to but we are a few years away from that. Next year we will be an offensive juggernaut, I just dont have much hope for our defense under the basket.