• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZionZag
    Kennel Club
    • Sep 2013

SI LIKES SABONIS TO GO IN THE FIRST ROUND NEXT YEAR

No other Zag in the 1st round..........

SI.com's early look at the top 30 prospects for the 2016 NBA draft predicts another day dominated by one-and-done players. 
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Someone posted that comment by Tommy, that he believed DS was leaving after this year. Some very respected people here say he is here to get his degree, Tommy might be factoring in the hype that always comes at the end of the year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• HenneZag
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
      Someone posted that comment by Tommy, that he believed DS was leave this year. Some very respected people here say he is here to get his degree, Tommy might be factoring in the hype that always comes at the end of the year.
      I posted that earlier. He just stated that he believes he will go after this year. I would definitely be ok with DS staying 3 or 4 years though!
      America's Team!

Comment

• hooter73
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

"Wing"

Ugg.

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

6. Jakob Poeltl, Utah
          Sophomore | 7-foot, 235 pounds | center
          I have seen nothing out of this kid to suggest that he is better than Sabonis. For one thing, he's nowhere near as tough.

Sabonis just needs to figure out a way to stop picking up cheap fouls.

Comment

• Chicken Ball
            Kennel Club
            • Feb 2007

Poeltl's an elite shot blocker. It's true Domas is much better on offense, but shot blocking seven footers are really valuable.

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

I absolutely guarantee that Domas will enter the 2016 NBA draft...or he won't! I guarantee it!!
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

I haven't cared what SI thinks since their back page writer left. What was his name again? Been so long since I cared !
                Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Discover the current NCAA Division I Men's Basketball leaders in every stats category, as well as historic leaders.

Jakob Poeltl was 58th in the country last season in blocks per game. Not sure if that's elite, although he did only play 23 MPG last year.

One college basketball analyst that I am aware of thinks Poeltl is going to be THE bust in next year's draft. Calls him a paper tiger. He was really not impressive during several stretches of the Duke game. He scored more points than Okafor, but that was because Utah was double and triple teaming Okafor the entire night.

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if Sabonis doesn't stay through his junior year unless he gets into the top 6 or something. He doesn't have the financial incentive to enter the league that other kids do. Moreover, I think he needs to have a season without Wiltjer and Karnowski around him where he can be more of the focus on offense. It's important for his development. He has the right advisors around him to make an appropriate decision. I see him leaving when he thinks he's best able to compete in the league....even if it costs him a few spots on the draft board.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Oct 2008

Not sure this is cause for an all caps new thread, as Sabonis was already projected as a 2016 first round pick by both draftexpress.com and nbadraft.net

Anyway, I have no idea of if he'll play 1 more year for the Zags or 2, but I do know one thing.

The idea that Few is going to make the best pro prospect on our team (maybe since Adam) come off the bench the entire season is pretty silly. I think people are getting too caught up in slotting players to a single position 1-5, and forgetting that rotations can change throughout the game.

Maybe it's easier to consider who will finish the games? Come crunch time, do you really want Sabonis sitting on the bench? I'm sure the other team would appreciate that.

Perkins, Dranginis, Sabonis, Wiltjer and Karnowski

McClellan is our backup PG. He'll play with Perkins at times, but his primary role is being on the floor any time Perkins is not. Which is why you stagger their minutes instead of starting them both and having them get tired at the same time.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

The idea that Few is going to make the best pro prospect on our team (maybe since Adam) come off the bench the entire season is pretty silly. I think people are getting too caught up in slotting players to a single position 1-5, and forgetting that rotations can change throughout the game.

Maybe it's easier to consider who will finish the games? Come crunch time, do you really want Sabonis sitting on the bench? I'm sure the other team would appreciate that.

Perkins, Dranginis, Sabonis, Wiltjer and Karnowski

McClellan is our backup PG. He'll play with Perkins at times, but his primary role is being on the floor any time Perkins is not. Which is why you stagger their minutes instead of starting them both and having them get tired at the same time.

Love it, Hooray.....I (and Dix) are with you.....

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          Love it, Hooray.....I (and Dix) are with you.....
                          Id be with it, with Wiltjer at the 3. Even with limited mobility, but I am weird.
                          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                            I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if Sabonis doesn't stay through his junior year unless he gets into the top 6 or something. He doesn't have the financial incentive to enter the league that other kids do. Moreover, I think he needs to have a season without Wiltjer and Karnowski around him where he can be more of the focus on offense. It's important for his development. He has the right advisors around him to make an appropriate decision. I see him leaving when he thinks he's best able to compete in the league....even if it costs him a few spots on the draft board.
                            For selfish reasons I want to see Domas stick around for his Jr. year. Eric Mika will be back.

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• 3zagda
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Nov 2009

I think having that group of 5 in at the same time would be fun to watch. What an offensive nightmare for other teams. Maybe not our best defensive group, but lets just see who can match our scoring.

Comment

Working...
                              X