• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zag buddy
    Banned
    • Dec 2007

Guards-sets and plays

It will be a very interesting year for the coaches. Historically we have had many sets to prepare the ball movement and to setup the opportunity for a good shot. This year may be the most athletic guards we have had. Do the coaches keep running the traditional set plays or allow more freedom for the players to attack the rim. I do not remember a year where we have done this and to have the players who are effective at it. But with our group of taller and athletic guards this year we do have this option. It will be very interesting to see If coach Few makes some major changes to his set plays to take advantage of these athletics or if the existing set of plays are consistently fruitfull and will prevail. What do all you excellent arm chair coaches think?
  • cjm720
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Guards should have an easy job: Feed the post and find Wiltjer. Our strength is with our bigs and our offense will revolve around them IMO.
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• zag buddy
      Banned
      • Dec 2007

My concern then is if teams just start sagging off on our guards and clog the middle.

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
        My concern then is if teams just start sagging off on our guards and clog the middle.
        Exactly!!

We have (as of right now) no guards who have demonstrated the ability to hit a high percentage three shot in a Zags uniform. In HS Melson was a big time scorer, but has yet to show it as a Zag. In his limited playing time last year Perkins hit an occasional three, but every indication is that he will primarily be a pass first/distributor, not a high octane three point scorer. There's a lot of buzz about Alberts' ability to hit the three in practice, but no one knows if that will carry over to play under the bright lights. If we don't have very solid outside shooting, the key will be more clogged than rush hour in Grand Central Station, thus drastically limiting the ability of our great front court. Wiltjer can't be counted on to provide all the outside scoring, we must have multiple others picking up a big share of that load! The big question is who will those "others" be?

Comment

• cjm720
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
          Won't happen though because are guards are more than capable and have size. It's just that IMO there won't be a ton of plays designed for them. One thing that's evident about our guards is that they can all shoot from deep with the possible exception of McC due to limited attempts. I see our guards creating a lot of offense from its defense; and of course, our bigs can't make everything so there should be plenty of buckets to make.

I like our guards' mix of size and athleticism. The biggest knock is experience...good thing for McC and Perks won't show his youth.
          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagsObserver
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Guards will be the weakness of next year's team. As I've said earlier, the two spot will be the weakest on the team, not the three spot as in previous years. I will be interesting to see how Few manages the lineup. Sure wish NWG was eligible this year.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Raise the zag usually thinks what I think and usually in good detail. He will say better than I can what I'm thinking about the sets and plays
              Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                Guards will be the weakness of next year's team. As I've said earlier, the two spot will be the weakest on the team, not the three spot as in previous years. I will be interesting to see how Few manages the lineup. Sure wish NWG was eligible this year.
                I believe the one spot is incredibly strong. Perkins will make mistakes early, but he has the ability to make plays like no one we've had here. And, given that our strength is underneath and when Kyle W lurks out past the line, it's great to have one of those genius passers in the line-up this year.

Is this the year that they go to the 30 second shot clock? If so, that might well change things up, too.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• ProjectMKUltra5
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2014

I think it's a myth that our guards can't shoot, or will struggle shooting the ball. Perkins and Dranginis should hover around 40% from three and Melson and Alberts should be north of that. McClellan is the only one who really shouldn't be shooting the ball imo.

Comment

• Reborn
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

I don't have any worry at all about our guards next year. I'm surprised so many do. Yes. They had limited roles last year because of two outstanding senior guards. Those guys are gone now and we'll have guards that surprise most of you. I think they all may surprise you actually. There is going to be a huge difference between last year and this year, and as so often been said in the past half-dozen years by analysts, GU doesn't rebuild (like some of you think) they reload. Load your guns fellas, and get ready for the show.
                    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Our young guards seems to have a good mindset about what they are bringing to the table--and positive attitudes about where they want to be with the team.

Comment

• Baseline
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2011

With the big men we have we should dominate most teams in rebounding. With good rebounding and fast, athletic guards I'm thinking we should see a lot of running the floor with a lot of layups and dunks.
                        "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                          Banned
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                          I don't have any worry at all about our guards next year. I'm surprised so many do. Yes. They had limited roles last year because of two outstanding senior guards. Those guys are gone now and we'll have guards that surprise most of you. I think they all may surprise you actually. There is going to be a huge difference between last year and this year, and as so often been said in the past half-dozen years by analysts, GU doesn't rebuild (like some of you think) they reload. Load your guns fellas, and get ready for the show.
                          This +100. Well said Reborn.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

seemed like late last season dumping the ball into Karno and letting him read the D and go to work led to great things, such as behind the back bounce passes to Sabonis for a dunk, Wiltjer 3's or BWes cutting to hoop for layup (hands up on those cuts KD!). This year, when guards dig down on PK for help D, our guards (Perkins, Melson, McClellan) can receive the kickout pass from PK then blow past their recovering or rotating defender. I like that offense 👍😀😀😀
                            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• zagamatic
                              Zag for Life
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Baseline View Post
                              With the big men we have we should dominate most teams in rebounding. With good rebounding and fast, athletic guards I'm thinking we should see a lot of running the floor with a lot of layups and dunks.
                              With not only our size, but our experience and depth up front, I'll honestly be disappointed if we're not top 5 in grabbing AVAILABLE rebounds (keep in mind the insane shooting numbers last season) next season. Lots of rebounds combined with quick, athletic guards equals lots of highlights - in theory.
                              But I also believe that the guards will hold their own shooting due in part to teams that do sag off on our bigs, thus creating room for the guards. Are we going to lead the country in 3 pointers next year? Probably not. But do we have to? Also, probably not.
                              I do see next seasons squad resembling the Pargo days more than the Pangos & Bell days. My real question is that assuming the guards do drive more, how will we fare at the free throw line?
                              I think that the biggest problem for the staff is trying to figure out who does better running off screens and who does better on 1 on 1 clear outs?

Comment

Working...
                              X