PDA

View Full Version : Roster Addition: 6'3" Preferred Walk-On Guard Jack Beach

ZagInSD
06-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Hey guys, new to posting but I've been a long time reader of the forums.

6'3" combo guard Jack Beach has joined the team, is enrolled in summer school, and will wear #2. He is a recruited walk-on from Torrey Pines High School in San Diego, CA, and played AAU with Gamepoint (teammates with Justin Simon and Bennie Boatwright). His Torrey Pines team reached the quarterfinals of the California State Playoffs and finished 31-4. Beach had 28 in the final game, matched up against UCLA-commit Lonzo Ball. Beach's brother was on Bill Griers staff at USD the past two seasons, and his dad played baseball at GU from 84-89.

I've watched him play several times over the last couple of years and he's a lights-out shooter with good size and capable of playing the 1 or the 2. He could play right away but my guess is that he is a good redshirt candidate for this year. Had interest from Creighton, UCSB, USF, Northern AZ, Columbia, and a few others. He is a great get for the Zags--very under the radar. He will probably be playing tonight in the open scrimmages after camp.

Here are a couple highlight videos:

Torrey Pines vs. Chino Hills
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4700490/highlights/248178450/v2

Beach's AAU Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiN7K7rIAzM

Zagdawg
06-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Thank you very much for sharing--- great addition to the team!

Go Zags

MDABE80
06-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Welcome aboard ZagInSD. Nice first post.

sittingon50
06-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks SD.

raise the zag
06-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Averaged 12 ppg in his break-out senior season. Averaged around 7 ppg prior.

A career 40% 3pt shooter.

Around 60% of his attempts in HS were 3pt shots.

A pure spot-op, knock down shooter.

An interesting, Kyle Bankhead-esque type recruit/walk on.

Rem & Dustin will show him the ropes.

ZagInSD
06-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome guys, looking forward to contributing going forward.

In regards to Beach, the stats are a little misleading. He grew four inches between his junior and senior seasons, and this year the team had 22 victories of 20 points or more, so the starters rarely had a chance to even play in the 4th quarter.

Bankhead is a good comparison, will definitely be interesting.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-29-2015, 01:37 PM
This is good news for Gonzaga basketball. We need another guard and we need more outside shooting to round out the roster. This kid may not redshirt. This kid may get a chance to play right away.

Zagdawg
06-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Hearing Alberts can shoot the three a bit also.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Seems like a step down from Griff. Just saying.

sittingon50
06-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Different skillset methinks, Jazz.

Had you heard of him down there?

hooter73
06-29-2015, 02:31 PM

Seriously?

Zagdawg
06-29-2015, 02:34 PM
Different players........

Just Jazz being Jazz...... file comments appropriately.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Different skillset methinks, Jazz.

Had you heard of him down there?

Not a peep. Torrey Pines a nice program but not a powerhouse. Nick Kerr was last player of this type. He languished at USD and finally transferred to a D3.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Different players........

Just Jazz being Jazz...... file comments appropriately.

Different how? Mid size combo guard with skills. Griff was a superior athlete in my opinion. Actually, Sarbaugh is better than both on the court, not on video.

Zagdawg
06-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Ones a good 3 pt shooter and ones a guy that goes hard to attack the basket and dunk. Beach is 6'3" 170 lbs. Connor is 6'5" and 220 lbs who liked to play inside.

Beach is ranked 22 in CA and 134 nationally (MaxPreps) --shot 38% from three ----(47% of his shots taken were 3 pt shots)

So yeah I'm going to go with different players.

#1bulldogfan
06-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Welcome aboard Jack! Xcited to see you play. Please ignore some of the fans on this board they tend to sometimes forget their manners. Mostly we let you settle in your dorm before we start tearing you apart.

DixieZag
06-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome guys, looking forward to contributing going forward.

In regards to Beach, the stats are a little misleading. He grew four inches between his junior and senior seasons, and this year the team had 22 victories of 20 points or more, so the starters rarely had a chance to even play in the 4th quarter.

Bankhead is a good comparison, will definitely be interesting.

Welcome to the board!

And welcome to GU, Beach!

We have a history of walk-ons contributing, work it.

ZagInSD
06-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Jazz, I'm not sure there are any similarities between the two other than they are both walk-ons. If anything, having an elite skill like he does could give Beach a better chance to contribute because his role will be more clearly defined. And from the looks of it, I'm not sure we've ever had a walk-on that has played at this high of a level in AAU. The Adidas Gauntlet is a big time circuit with NBA and High Major caliber players. Beach more than held his own in that setting according to the stats and what I've read.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

zag buddy
06-29-2015, 04:44 PM
1+ bulldog Welcome to the pacific nw Mr Beach. Hope your stay is all you could hope for.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Jazz, I'm not sure there are any similarities between the two other than they are both walk-ons. If anything, having an elite skill like he does could give Beach a better chance to contribute because his role will be more clearly defined. And from the looks of it, I'm not sure we've ever had a walk-on that has played at this high of a level in AAU. The Adidas Gauntlet is a big time circuit with NBA and High Major caliber players. Beach more than held his own in that setting according to the stats and what I've read.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

Fair enough, ZISD. Hope he does well. Another Bankhead would be fine with me. My favorite Zag. Welcome to the board.

zagamatic
06-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Welcome aboard Mr Beach! How successful you are depends entirely on you.

gonzagafan62
06-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Good info! Thanks

hooter73
06-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Well I for one am pretty excited about him. Seems like an honestly recruited kid with some game that could be put into service and he decided to come here, as a walk on. All good signs and it teh situation fits well with what we have, dont have, and need.

Griffin was never going to see actual game minutes, not well rounded enough. IMO of course.

TheTRUTH
07-20-2015, 04:10 AM
Very few walk-ons are any good, so we will have to wait and see. His mom is pretty hot though!

jbslicer
07-20-2015, 06:22 AM
Very few walk-ons are any good, so we will have to wait and see. His mom is pretty hot though!

Comments like that should be supported with visual proof.

gozagswoohoo
07-20-2015, 06:51 AM
WELCOME

TheGonzagaFactor
07-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Comments like that should be supported with visual proof.

If your handle is TheTRUTH, that's all the proof you need!

HillBillyZag
07-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Any Good? That's a downright ignorant Statement. Any Kid with enough Hoops Game to be asked to walk on with a Division One Program ain't Chopped Liver. They don't pass those INVITATIONS out like pop corn.

MDABE80
07-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Great name too! He'll be fine. I always wonder why a kid who would get tons of minutes as a lesser program would come to us. Maybe it's the school itself? Maybe it's the friendship he'll get from the guys and other students. Maybe it's the academics...........and maybe he just likes it here. Welcome aboard young fella!!

zag67
07-20-2015, 11:54 AM
MDA, Great comments. We have had players like Hart and Stockton walk on and they played super. They also brought a super attitude that is as important. Wanting to be on a winner, travel, meet some great people, and play against super competition. Yes, it would be nice to be a starter and play a lot, but it might be more fun to practice against the best in the nation and get a degree. If I wanted to become a coach, would this not be a super place to watch the best and learn from the best coaches. Just my opinion.

Reborn
07-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the good info. I'm looking forward to seeing him play and learning more about his as we move forward. He will fit in at Gonzaga quite well. If he wouldn't then Few would not have recruited him. Yes! Walk on are recruited obviously. I love our walk ons. They have been a huge part of Gonzaga basketball, and some have actually become starters. And those that weren't have all been loved by Zag fans and students. I can definitely see how a very good basketball player would welcome the chance to be a walk-on at GU. It's a fantastic school/community, and has a very, very very special basketball program. There aren't too many greater feelings in my life than how I feel when I tell someone I played basketball at Gonzaga. When someone hears that they just have a really nice feeling about you, a special feeling. If I had gone to any Div II school or a huge number of D1, I would not get the same reaction from others when they are told I played at Gonzaga. I also know that my two sons and grand children are more than happy to tell their friends and who ever is around that their dad-grandpa played at Gonzaga.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Very few walk-ons are any good, so we will have to wait and see.

Mike Hart? David Stockton? Kyle Bankhead? Mark Spink? Ryan Floyd. Mike Nilson? Micah Downs?

Yeah...walk-ons are rarely any good.

OZZY
07-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Mike Hart? David Stockton? Kyle Bankhead? Mark Spink? Ryan Floyd. Mike Nilson? Micah Downs?

None would ever be good enough to play in the NBA............................................... ...:)

Wrong!

VaBeachZAG
07-20-2015, 04:17 PM

Downs was a walk-on??

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Downs was a walk-on??

Briefly. He announced his transfer when no scholarship was available. He paid his way until one opened up. Gonzaga is probably the only school to have a McD's All-American as a walk-on.

JPtheBeasta
07-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Briefly. He announced his transfer when no scholarship was available. He paid his way until one opened up. Gonzaga is probably the only school to have a McD's All-American as a walk-on.

I had completely forgotten that.

JPtheBeasta
07-20-2015, 04:57 PM

I had completely forgotten that.

SunDevilGolfZag
07-20-2015, 07:17 PM

Seems like that comment is seriously undermined by the likes of Bankhead, the Floyd brothers, Hart and I'm sure many others I'm not thinking of right now. Welcome Mr. Beach!

ZagsGoZags
07-20-2015, 09:21 PM
I thought Downs was a transfer from KU approx. 2006
Are you saying Downs was a walk on for GU for a bit, then went to KU?

229SintoZag
07-20-2015, 09:28 PM

I swear guys were saying the same thing when Mike Hart walked on. Me? I'd take another Mike Hart in a New York second.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Seems like that comment is seriously undermined by the likes of Bankhead, the Floyd brothers, Hart and I'm sure many others I'm not thinking of right now. Welcome Mr. Beach!

I swear guys were saying the same thing when Mike Hart walked on. Me? I'd take another Mike Hart in a New York second.

That's the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of walk on won't be anything more then practice players and high character guys. Not to diminish that, it's a rather important role given how much time is spent in practice as opposed to games.

That said nobody should ever really complain about a walk on for the simple fact that they're not taking a scholarship from somebody, imo.

Zagger
07-21-2015, 03:52 AM
Has he got a nick name yet? How's about Sandy or Rocky? :D

amaronizag
07-21-2015, 05:59 AM
I don't think the nickname Sun Beach is taken yet

jazzdelmar
07-21-2015, 06:00 AM

It's a New York "minute." :)

jazzdelmar
07-21-2015, 06:02 AM
Has he got a nick name yet? How's about Sandy or Rocky? :D

How bout just The Beach, like the Calvin Klein fragrance.

willandi
07-21-2015, 06:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2309832

"Downs will likely have to pay his own way at GU, at least for
the rest of the semester, because with the addition of BYU transfer
David Burgess earlier this month the Bulldogs now have the NCAA
limit of 13 players on scholarship."

Sure wished it had worked out, but walk-ons are so seldom any good!

tongue-in-cheek alert!

bigblahla
07-21-2015, 06:18 AM
I thought Downs was a transfer from KU approx. 2006
Are you saying Downs was a walk on for GU for a bit, then went to KU?

Other way around....KU...then walked on at Gonzaga until a schollie became available....never utilized to his full potential....Free Micah was written on this board many many times...

Go!! Zags!!!

ZAG 4 LIFE
07-21-2015, 07:10 AM
Other way around....KU...then walked on at Gonzaga until a schollie became available....never utilized to his full potential....Free Micah was written on this board many many times...

Go!! Zags!!!

Apologies if this has been already posted, but young Mr. Beach has always been
A Zag... His Dad, Dan Beach was an infielder on the Gonzaga baseball team in the 80's.
Welcome home young Mr. Beach... And family!

VaBeachZAG
07-21-2015, 07:25 AM

Go!! Zags!!!

Who says you can't learn interesting tidbits on this board.

gonzagafan62
07-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Great name too! He'll be fine. I always wonder why a kid who would get tons of minutes as a lesser program would come to us. Maybe it's the school itself? Maybe it's the friendship he'll get from the guys and other students. Maybe it's the academics...........and maybe he just likes it here. Welcome aboard young fella!!

Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier, and really what program does Gonzaga do not so well in?

Developing Talent - Great
Transfers - Great offseason, Redshirt Program
Redshirts - Great program
Walk ons - Great

There have been so many great walk ons I think you forget Doc. Why would they choose Gonzaga? If you aren't that great, (good enough to start that is) you can become good enough because Gonzaga has such a great Walk ons program its just nuts. Think of the guys that we have had as walk ons for a moment:

Mark Spink (key contributer in the run)
Kyle Bankhead (again)
Nilson
Mike Hart (led team as a starter to #1 ranking)
David Stockton (eventually became a starter)

Older guys that remember 80s and early 90s bball can tell you there were more. There are a few names that come to mind but I don't wanna post them and give wrong information. But there have been some great names.

And even Connor Griffin. He was the sight to see at the end of games the last few years (wish he would have made dunks) but if we didn't get the depth in the backcourt and if we needed someone to fill in and start.... Connor would have done the job just fine.

Come on. These guys wanna win, and they wanna start at a big time Program. Just enjoy the ride my friend, we may see Jack Beach be VERY good in the future. If he works hard enough, and trains enough, he might be a contributer by his senior season.

Walk ons are no joke. Its not even "rare" that they play a lot. We will see.

Go Zags!

gonzagafan62
07-21-2015, 08:22 AM
I just wanna add one more thing. People may laugh at Rem "Guitar Hero" Bakamus, and Dustin Triano, but those guys have been absolutely essential to team chemistry. Rem is more visual on gamedays on his crazy ways, but I really think he has kept the team calm in desperate win situations. I am sure he and Triano effect games more than we can probably see.

hooter73
07-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Quality walkons are not usually the norm at any school, GU has a proud and long standing tradition of them. This current crop is keeping up that roll in an excellent way.

Mantua
07-21-2015, 12:41 PM
I just wanna add one more thing. People may laugh at Rem "Guitar Hero" Bakamus, and Dustin Triano, but those guys have been absolutely essential to team chemistry. Rem is more visual on gamedays on his crazy ways, but I really think he has kept the team calm in desperate win situations. I am sure he and Triano effect games more than we can probably see.

I laugh because Rem's humor is so engaging. I love the antics which are great for
PR. Our walk ones are great teammates and provide much needed social glue while also going hard in practice. They have been essentiial to team morale.

hockeyzag
07-21-2015, 01:26 PM

https://usuallystrange.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/debbie.jpg

WAH WAAAAH

229SintoZag
07-21-2015, 03:51 PM
It's a New York "minute." :)

I know Jazz, but I was trying to suggest I'd take another Mike Hart even faster than that.....

Vanzagger
07-22-2015, 09:07 AM
He has a warm up dunk and a free throw in his highlite real. Joking aside it looks like we got a good one.

TheTRUTH
07-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Apologies if this has been already posted, but young Mr. Beach has always been
A Zag... His Dad, Dan Beach was an infielder on the Gonzaga baseball team in the 80's.
Welcome home young Mr. Beach... And family!

You hit the nail on the head! Only reason he is at GU is daddy!

willandi
07-23-2015, 05:16 AM
You hit the nail on the head! Only reason he is at GU is daddy!

Just like Stocks! Never mind his hard work got him to the show, that was just his Daddy's name too!