PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few and Micah Downs together again

AzZag
06-29-2015, 07:09 AM
Pretty cool. Odd roster tho

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/06/mpag-tc-players.aspx

Mark Few of Gonzaga University will serve as head coach of the 2015 U.S. Pan American Men’s Basketball Team, and University of Colorado’s Tad Boyle and longtime NBA coach Mike Brown were selected as assistant coaches.

“Coach Few and his staff are going to have a very competitive training camp before we decide on the Pan America Games roster for USA Basketball,” said Syracuse University head mentor Jim Boeheim, chair of the USA Basketball Junior National Team Committee that is responsible for player and coach selections.

scrooner
06-29-2015, 07:19 AM
He looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAhI_JpH0UE

MDABE80
06-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Amazing kid. Thanks for the video...........I don't know if we've had a kid with more hops than Micah. Errol was in this range but Micah.......somethin to see.

bigblahla
06-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Loved me some Micah....thanks from me too....he'd make a good Celtic....

Go!! Zags!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Loved me some Micah....thanks from me too....he'd make a good Celtic....

Go!! Zags!!!

Downs was on the Celtics' D-League team in Maine for a year and was the best player on the team by far. There was a lot of speculation in local media that his call-up to Boston was inevitable. It never happened. I wish they'd taken him.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Our first Mickey D. Never realized his potential at GU. One of my faves. He would have started last year.

Section 116
06-29-2015, 03:41 PM
My wife listened to Micah on the Jay and Kevin local radio show this morning for almost an hour. She told me she thought she saw him at Hoopfest yesterday but by the the time I turned around he was swallowed up by the crowd. Micah discussed a wide range of things. One of the more interesting was he said he had been tested relatively recently and it was discovered his metabolism runs about 20% "faster" than the average person. Hence he is now on a 4500-5000 calorie a day "diet" in an attempt to gain weight. I should be so lucky. Among other things he was asked if in his travels around the world he was ever afraid. He said Venezuela was the worst. He also said the fan base in most of the countries in which he played is insane. In Russia for instance they bring road flares to the games and set them off. Also most of the arenas in which he played allow smoking, which creates an interesting "haze" on the court. Also pots and pans are allowed and there is a constant banging going on. I didn't hear the interview but my wife listened to all of it. I think it might be available on a podcast archive but I never tried it. Jay and Kevin mention the podcasts frequently. If you are interested Google the Jay and Kevin show at Coyote Country 99.9 radio in Spokane. You may come across something.

Zag Man
06-29-2015, 04:39 PM
He looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAhI_JpH0UE

Thanks for sharing this video. Michah looks like a BEAST in compairson to when he played at Gonzaga. He seems so much stronger in the upper body and he is jumping out of the gym. I would love to see him on an NBA team! Best of luck, Michah!

Mr Vulture
06-29-2015, 06:25 PM
WOW! Love these quotes..fantastic insight to a lot of things..

My wife listened to Micah on the Jay and Kevin local radio show this morning for almost an hour. She told me she thought she saw him at Hoopfest yesterday but by the the time I turned around he was swallowed up by the crowd. Micah discussed a wide range of things. One of the more interesting was he said he had been tested relatively recently and it was discovered his metabolism runs about 20% "faster" than the average person. Hence he is now on a 4500-5000 calorie a day "diet" in an attempt to gain weight. I should be so lucky. Among other things he was asked if in his travels around the world he was ever afraid. He said Venezuela was the worst. He also said the fan base in most of the countries in which he played is insane. In Russia for instance they bring road flares to the games and set them off. Also most of the arenas in which he played allow smoking, which creates an interesting "haze" on the court. Also pots and pans are allowed and there is a constant banging going on. I didn't hear the interview but my wife listened to all of it. I think it might be available on a podcast archive but I never tried it. Jay and Kevin mention the podcasts frequently. If you are interested Google the Jay and Kevin show at Coyote Country 99.9 radio in Spokane. You may come across something.

MickMick
06-29-2015, 07:25 PM
I forgot how athletic he is. A freak actually.

DixieZag
06-30-2015, 07:52 AM

So, you can give great summaries of radio segments that you didn't even listen to? Amazing, and thank you thank you thank you.

Best of luck to Micah, Ug, Russia. Plus, Russia is expensive to live in, and his salary wouldn't go as far.

Thx 116'

ZagKing09
06-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Micah was at Hoopfest this past weekend, he got roped into judging the Dunk Contest Finals when Santangalo had to go play another game to win his bracket. Micah brought his kid with him to the weekend and actually brought him out on Nike Center Court at one point. He looked good and was clearly enjoying being back in Spokane. It would have been fun to see him throw one down too at the dunk contest though :)

Section 116
06-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Dixie, you are very welcome. My wife always keeps her ear open for Zags stuff and I was pleased she had good recall on what she listened to. I think some of my OCB rubbed off on her!

Zagceo
06-30-2015, 05:29 PM

I got into Pauley last year with my jumper cables didn't think about bringing in my road flares……)

thanks 116

Radbooks
07-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Unfortunately, Micah didn't make the first cut down to 16 players. :( Here is that list and a link to the info about the Pan American Team (http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/07/mpag-finalists.aspx):

Named as finalists for the 2015 U.S. Pan American Men’s Basketball Team were: Ron Baker (Wichita State/Scott City, Kan.); Malcolm Brogdon (Virginia/Atlanta, Ga.); Bobby Brown (Dongguan Leopards, China/Los Angeles, Calif.); Isaiah Cousins (Oklahoma/Mount Vernon, N.Y.); Kellen Dunham (Butler/ Pendleton, Ind.); Nigel Hayes (Wisconsin/Toledo, Ohio); Ryan Hollins (Sacramento Kings/Pasadena, Calif.); Keith Langford (UNICS Kazan, Russia/Fort Worth, Texas); Shawn Long (Louisiana/Morgan City, La.); Taurean Prince (Baylor/San Antonio, Texas); Anthony Randolph (Lokomotiv-Kuban, Russia/ Pasadena, Calif.); Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona/Claremont, N.H.); Romelo Trimble (Maryland/Upper Marlboro, Md.); Denzel Valentine (Michigan State/Lansing, Mich.); Fred Van Vleet (Wichita State/Rockford, Ill.); and Damien Wilkins (Indios de Mayagüez, Puerto Rico/Orlando, Fla.).

RenoZag
07-09-2015, 05:12 PM
No shock (pun intended) that Van Vleet and Baker made the first cut. Those two are studs.

bartruff1
07-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Micah was a well deserved MVP at the WCC Tourney .... that was a very good and very interesting team....