PDA

View Full Version : Who beats the Zags this year?

amaronizag
06-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Holes in the schedule are filling up and we can look forward to playing some really solid teams. Any predictions on who, if anyone, might beats us before the tournament in March?

gonzagafan62
06-27-2015, 10:03 AM
Arizona, SMU, Pepperdine (in Malibu) and BYU are the teams I can see us legitly losing too. If we lose to someone else it's a huge dissapointment IMO

jbslicer
06-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Wazzu in Pullman could be tough.

amaronizag
06-27-2015, 11:00 AM
I agree with all of the above (WSU, Arizona, SMU, Pepperdine (in Malibu) and BYU). All will be tough games --- but in my mind our only loss might be AZ. I also never bet against Jamie Dixon, Boeheim, or Izzo, but I think we have the better team this year. None of the pundits will wonder how we stack up against top talent when rating our team next season. For the first time our national rank and tournament seed should be legitimate in everyone's mind.

thespywhozaggedme
06-27-2015, 11:06 AM
No one

jazzdelmar
06-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Can't see any for sure loss, as with last year at Tucson. Cats always loaded but at home Zags should win. Tourneys always toss ups, so may lose one there. Pitt not much this year but SMU looks good and that's away. Three losses, all unpredictable and even unexpected. Zags could have a Saint Joe type year.

PS, I expect at least one preseason rag will have GU at #1.

IowaSERE
06-27-2015, 11:20 AM
The Zags.

seacatfan
06-27-2015, 12:38 PM
PS, I expect at least one preseason rag will have GU at #1.

Can't see that happening. Top 5 yes, picked by a national publication as #1...not seeing it. Although I don't necessarily agree any of them are deserving of being ranked that high, I can't see anyone other than Duke/North Carolina/Kentucky/Maryland clocking in at #1 in the preseason.

23zagmd
06-27-2015, 03:37 PM
I can't believe I would even say this but I would bet we will be favored in EVERY single game we play in this year. I know we will probably kick a game or two but.....going undefeated is not out of the question for this group.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Holes in the schedule are filling up and we can look forward to playing some really solid teams. Any predictions on who, if anyone, might beats us before the tournament in March?

Texas and Shaka Smart's havoc defense could cause trouble for the Zags young backcourt if they play one another during Battle 4 Atlantis in November. McClellan is not a youngster, but this will be a new set of guards playing together in a pressure situation for the first time. I hope they have to play Texas cause it will be a great opportunity for our guards to gain experience against high pressure D.

LongIslandZagFan
06-27-2015, 09:48 PM
The Zags.

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9315280.jpg

KStyles
06-27-2015, 11:13 PM
I can't believe I would even say this but I would bet we will be favored in EVERY single game we play in this year. I know we will probably kick a game or two but.....going undefeated is not out of the question for this group.

I'd take that bet. I don't see many opportunities for GU to be the underdog, but depending how the season goes, it could happen.

stevet75
06-28-2015, 09:02 AM
I think the team might struggle a bit at the beginning of the season. They will be breaking in a new starting point guard, a key position for the Zags. I feel they will progress a little more than usual, for them, from the beginning of the season to the end.

Traditionally I don't feel that the Zags develop as much throughout the season as some other teams. I attribute this to two things...one Few likes his more experienced players, who aren't going to improve as much as freshmen and two, Zags seem to spend more time working with each other than some other teams do.

Anyway, bottom line is we will lose a couple in the out of conference part of our schedule that we wouldn't lose later on in the season.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-28-2015, 09:58 AM
This team will be a lot like the 2013 team that earned that unprecedented No. 1 ranking with some of the same strengths and weaknesses.

Like the 2013 group, we should have the best four man rotation of big men in college basketball. Like that group, this team's weakness will be a lack of depth at the guard/wing positions. We only have five guards/wings on scholarship. If one of those players goes down with an injury or foul trouble, we will be vulnerable. That team won 30+ games, but couldn't get past the first weekend of March Madness after Gary Bell went down.

There is enough talent and experience that they should be favored against every opponent on the regular season schedule. They won't beat all of them, but thirty wins seems very achievable.

raise the zag
06-28-2015, 10:08 AM
We are going to be good, potentially scary good, yet have an inkling we don't hit the ground running. Maybe even drop opener vs Pitt. New guards finding their role & experienced bigs also finding their role. Who leads? Who scores? Does McClellan try to turn into a scorer or defer in his final season? Does Wiltjer attempt to go off? Who calms them down? Does Perks listen to his teammates or run the team? What about Sabonis & his NBA skills? Dranginis asked to lead & now score or do dirty work? Silas wants to shine, don't forget about the forgotten Karno, does he attempt more shots?

Point is, WAY more to figure out this season.

Higher ceiling yet not a well oiled machine going into the season with 4 yr starting guards who most importantly, knew their ROLE & their teammates ROLES.

Will take more than a few wks practice to figure it out, esp amongst the backcourt. They all want to follow in footsteps & shine for this team.

It will take time & coaching & experience.

Are we the most/more talented? Certainly.

Guarantee this team has some hiccups, yet they way we match up in March or vs Blue Bloods is unlike anything we've seen before -- offensively, defensively, everywhere.

DixieZag
06-28-2015, 02:05 PM
We are going to be good, potentially scary good, yet have an inkling we don't hit the ground running. Maybe even drop opener vs Pitt. New guards finding their role & experienced bigs also finding their role. Who leads? Who scores? Does McClellan try to turn into a scorer or defer in his final season? Does Wiltjer attempt to go off? Who calms them down? Does Perks listen to his teammates or run the team? What about Sabonis & his NBA skills? Dranginis asked to lead & now score or do dirty work? Silas wants to shine, don't forget about the forgotten Karno, does he attempt more shots?

Point is, WAY more to figure out this season.

Higher ceiling yet not a well oiled machine going into the season with 4 yr starting guards who most importantly, knew their ROLE & their teammates ROLES.

Will take more than a few wks practice to figure it out, esp amongst the backcourt. They all want to follow in footsteps & shine for this team.

It will take time & coaching & experience.

Are we the most/more talented? Certainly.

Guarantee this team has some hiccups, yet they way we match up in March or vs Blue Bloods is unlike anything we've seen before -- offensively, defensively, everywhere.

Great questions and I agree with your summation. We may not necessarily lose many early games, but we'll be less consistent, much like many teams at the very top level. I especially worry about this team getting soft during WCC competition, though Pepp won't be bad, BYU will bring it, I don't see much else out there.

Just my gut feeling, this is already Perkins' team, along with Kyle W as the motivator. Kyle W.'s mental motor can run a little hot, hopefully KD will be there to calm things down, too.

Talked very briefly to Perkins this morning. He has a bounce in his step, bright eyes, excited to talk to people, says he feels "great" and doesn't look skinny. So glad he's here all summer.

MDABE80
06-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Syracuse, UConn, Michigan, Gonzaga, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte will be in the event Nov. 25-27, 2015,

We'll know a lot after Nov 28th. Go Zags!

Mr Vulture
06-28-2015, 02:39 PM
The Zags likely lose five games this year...give or take. I don't think they win out in the conference either. However, by the end of the year, I expect them to be better than last years squad.

Zagger
06-29-2015, 05:39 AM
If anyone does beat the Zags this year prior to the WCC Tourney - they're going to have to be one hot shooting team that also controls the pace of the game. Frankly, I don't see that happening but - college BB can be very exciting!

Mr Vulture
06-29-2015, 10:40 AM
The Zag Koolaid is running rampant on here...goodness guys... :cheers:

Coach Crazy
06-29-2015, 10:44 AM
I can't honestly see any team in the WCC beating the Zags, except for a small chance that BYU does it at home. Even then, though, we're talking about a team that still returns 3 future pro's, and potentially the best PG we've seen since John Stockton. The only thing that will steer us towards a loss is an emotional let down. We are head and shoulders better than most the teams we will play, this year.

ZagInSD
06-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Can't see the Zags dropping any outside of Arizona and maybe one in Atlantis. The WCC will be down this year, although BYU will be dangerous at home. Early season kinks and figuring out the rotation (especially with the bigs) will probably be the biggest obstacle in the first half of the season--could lead to a couple L's, but having 0-1 losses coming into league wouldn't surprise me either.

coolhandzag
06-29-2015, 08:34 PM
New backcourts take a while to find rhythm.

Few's teams can go flat in February.

How many games are lost until the bracket is not important. But I will take a guess and say they drop three or four. Frontcourt very hard to match up with this team could go places in March.

seacatfan
06-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Can't see the Zags dropping any outside of Arizona and maybe one in Atlantis. The WCC will be down this year, although BYU will be dangerous at home. Early season kinks and figuring out the rotation (especially with the bigs) will probably be the biggest obstacle in the first half of the season--could lead to a couple L's, but having 0-1 losses coming into league wouldn't surprise me either.

How is the bigs rotation going to be the one that takes time to figure out? The 3 guys that played the lions share of the minutes all returned and will be playing the lions share of the minutes again. Meanwhile the guards/wings include a bunch of guys that have either played limited minutes, haven't played at all, or were role players that might need to step into bigger roles.

gonzagafan62
06-30-2015, 06:27 AM
I think people are really forgetting about Pepperdine here. Sure they are not a good team at all. But they are going to continue being a thorn in our side until they finally beat us. Marty Wilson has the program going in the right direction and Pepperdine is going to eventually stop the streak we have. I think its going to be within the next two years, also. They aren't a good team, let me reiterate that, but they aren't completely terrible either, but they are still continually in games with us. I don't see that changing.

willandi
06-30-2015, 07:09 AM
I would think that Edwards, Domas, the two redshirt transfer Williams' and Alberts would give them (the first string) a real run for their money!

If the team keeps it's focus, plays within the system and plays 'smart', I'm not sure any on the schedule will beat them. I wouold bet Zags, straight up, for every game. Now points is a whole different animal. When does Few call of the raging river?

HenneZag
06-30-2015, 07:14 AM
I agree with GF62...that Pepperdine will be a thorn. I do think they're a good team though, this upcoming season they will be even better. The Zags on the other hand should be on another level, the frontcourt will be stellar, and so much potential with the backcourt, yet a bit unknown. Sabonis is going to hit a new gear this year.

I spoke with Lloyd at an event with the Fire Dept at Moran Prairie Elementary School on the South Hill a few weeks back and he believes that Sabonis will probably be gone after this year. Also spoke highly of Alberts and stated GU will probably add one more guy before the season (just not sure who). Such a genuine guy and easy to like. GU is lucky to have him here.

Bogozags
06-30-2015, 07:15 AM
I think people are really forgetting about Pepperdine here. Sure they are not a good team at all. But they are going to continue being a thorn in our side until they finally beat us. Marty Wilson has the program going in the right direction and Pepperdine is going to eventually stop the streak we have. I think its going to be within the next two years, also. They aren't a good team, let me reiterate that, but they aren't completely terrible either, but they are still continually in games with us. I don't see that changing.

Agree, they are not yet a good team BUT they play a patient/disciplined game, which makes us play much more diligently. Their core is returning and we were very fortunate to get out of there with a "W!" Yes, I know we didn't have time to go through our normal pre-game warm-up but no sure that mattered as much as some think...IMO

I think SMU, @ BYU, @ Pepperdine, and @ USF will be our toughest games...if our guards don't turn the ball over, then we should have another season where we once again achieve success in the DANCE...

gonzagafan62
06-30-2015, 07:31 AM
I agree with GF62...that Pepperdine will be a thorn. I do think they're a good team though, this upcoming season they will be even better. The Zags on the other hand should be on another level, the frontcourt will be stellar, and so much potential with the backcourt, yet a bit unknown. Sabonis is going to hit a new gear this year.

Yeah I am not trying to demean (Sp?) Pepperdine. They are a very good team for the WCC, but until they get their RPI up and start challenging for NIT or a NCAA bid, in my opinion they can't be that good. Maybe they are going to do that this year, who knows, but I do think they will be in the upper half of the WCC which this year is wide freakin open. This season is going to be very strange, not just because we have SMC BYU and Pepperdine all in frenzies (on the up for Pepperdine), but Kevin and Gary are gone, and now the Dons literally have nothing, Bobby Sharp graduated, Bill Grier is gone from USD, still learning on Pacific, Loyola has a pretty new coach ...

Just weird.

gonzagafan62
06-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Agree, they are not yet a good team BUT they play a patient/disciplined game, which makes us play much more diligently. Their core is returning and we were very fortunate to get out of there with a "W!" Yes, I know we didn't have time to go through our normal pre-game warm-up but no sure that mattered as much as some think...IMO

I think SMU, @ BYU, @ Pepperdine, and @ USF will be our toughest games...if our guards don't turn the ball over, then we should have another season where we once again achieve success in the DANCE...

Yeah, USF could be 0-30 and we would still squeak out with a win there, or lose at the buzzer. I hate playing there.

DixieZag
06-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Yeah, USF could be 0-30 and we would still squeak out with a win there, or lose at the buzzer. I hate playing there.

10-4.

We'd have 7 players foul out, the remaining 5 will have at least 3 a piece, and USF's only play in the last 5 minutes is dribble the shot clock out, barrel into the middle with not plan at all, get blocked by 3 guys, get bailed by the refs.

gonzagafan62
06-30-2015, 09:21 AM
10-4.

We'd have 7 players foul out, the remaining 5 will have at least 3 a piece, and USF's only play in the last 5 minutes is dribble the shot clock out, barrel into the middle with not plan at all, get blocked by 3 guys, get bailed by the refs.

Haha. True. Main reason why I never put them on my "legitly" beat Gonzaga ... They never can, they just beat us by doing crazy things with no plan. Foul, free throws, foul again.

DixieZag
06-30-2015, 09:56 AM
I am real worried about complacency in conference. We worry every year, but with this year's talent, without the guard leadership. We got complacent last year, next...

ProjectMKUltra5
06-30-2015, 11:04 AM
I think we drop a game in the B4A and I think we split the series with BYU and Pepperdine. Just like last year I think it's likely we will lose to either Zona or UCLA. Probably drop another stupid one along the way like Santa Clara. That being said, I don't think our record will be indicative of how good the team is. We'll go into March as the 4 seed no #1 wants to see in the Sweet 16