PDA

View Full Version : Rothstein Tweet Re St. John's

Angelo Roncalli
06-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 19m19 minutes ago
St. John's roster was already depleted after the season + that was with Jordan and Obekpa. Now both are gone. Fans better be patient. #sjubb

Will recruits be patient, too?

jazzdelmar
06-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Mully is fortunate that Lavin's trash has been cleaned out. Way too AAU, Mully now can build a winner.

Might land Ron Rowan's kid. Ron a terrific player at the John.

Maverick Rowan will begin an official visit to St. John's on Monday. The Red Storm are a late entry into his recruitment, but Rowan's father played at St. John's with new Red Storm head coach Chris Mullin, and they offer plenty of immediate playing time. Rowan has already taken an official visit to Louisville, and Wisconsin is also making a strong push for him.

Rowan averaged 19.2 points and shot 40.6 percent from 3-point range on the Nike EYBL circuit this spring.

Zagdawg
06-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1h1 hour ago
St. John's shot-blocker Chris Obekpa is transferring -- per a release from the school.

"Guard Rysheed Jordan, the other returning player who was part of the rotation, left the program earlier this month to pursue professional opportunities. The rising junior is not eligible for the NBA draft.

Chris Mullin, the Naismith Memorial Hall of Famer and St. John's all-time leading scorer, faces his first season as coach with no players with any significant playing time."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13143017/chris-obekpa-transfer-st-john-red-storm

CDC84
06-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Chris Mullin, the Naismith Memorial Hall of Famer and St. John's all-time leading scorer, faces his first season as coach with no players with any significant playing time."

Hopefully they will play most of their games on campus, because I can't see many people attending games at MSG this year.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Have we heard anything on Mussini? Thought he was gonna to decide a month ago

kreese555
06-24-2015, 10:33 PM

Slipper Still Fits tweeted today to expect an announcement soon...

Coach Crazy
06-25-2015, 07:51 AM

I would imagine St. Johns would be the decision, at this point. If I was advising the kid or it was my son, I would probably see more benefit in playing there. I mean, sure...he wins more at Gonzaga, but he really has to be more than just a shooter to get playing time on this roster. If this were four years (or more) ago, I think it would have been fun to see what a chucker like this could do. Now, though? Meh, I think we are beyond what appears to be somewhat of a novelty.

I get that the kid idolizes Steph Curry and wants to play like him. Every school can use that type of player. But this kid isn't Steph Curry, or even a poor-man's Steph Curry, yet. So, I'm not sure he wants to sit with Rem and Co. on the bench, where all he'll really develop are his celebratory dance moves...

DixieZag
06-25-2015, 09:37 AM
I would imagine St. Johns would be the decision, at this point. If I was advising the kid or it was my son, I would probably see more benefit in playing there. I mean, sure...he wins more at Gonzaga, but he really has to be more than just a shooter to get playing time on this roster. If this were four years (or more) ago, I think it would have been fun to see what a chucker like this could do. Now, though? Meh, I think we are beyond what appears to be somewhat of a novelty.

I get that the kid idolizes Steph Curry and wants to play like him. Every school can use that type of player. But this kid isn't Steph Curry, or even a poor-man's Steph Curry, yet. So, I'm not sure he wants to sit with Rem and Co. on the bench, where all he'll really develop are his celebratory dance moves...

That sounds right.

Reality is, there will be no meaningful PT at the 1 or 2 any time in the near future.

Coach Crazy
06-25-2015, 11:28 AM
That sounds right.

Reality is, there will be no meaningful PT at the 1 or 2 any time in the near future.

Exactly. I mean, I suppose you could say that because we have somewhat of an unknown situation with Silas and Bryan, that this year would be the one year to try and find a place. But this ain't pro ball, so the kid either IS Steph Curry-like from a production standpoint, or he gets jettisoned to transfer land. Josh Perkins and NWG are going to get the lion's share of the minutes, with Jesse Wade coming in the next year. Not to mention any *other* 2016 guards that Mark and Co. brings in?

I don't know. There is something I, most likely, don't see here...or the staff would have already cut bait. Or maybe they are just coasting, knowing that the isn't as likely to come here.

cjm720
06-25-2015, 11:47 AM
I think Jazz nailed it...Italy's 5 hours to NY, but 10 to GU. That's a big deal to a mama's boy. Will be fun to follow him regardless.

ZagsObserver
06-25-2015, 11:55 AM
That sounds right.

I disagree. We lost starters at positions 1-3. Alberts replaces Wesley as a body at the 3 position. We effectively gained Perkins but lost Pangos and Bell. By my count we are down a man from last year. He would get spot minutes as a freshman at a minimum, and one injury away from significant minutes...as a freshman on a FF caliber team.

cjm720
06-25-2015, 12:02 PM
I disagree. We lost starters at positions 1-3. Alberts replaces Wesley as a body at the 3 position. We effectively gained Perkins but lost Pangos and Bell. By my count we are down a man from last year. He would get spot minutes as a freshman at a minimum, and one injury away from significant minutes...as a freshman on a FF caliber team.

completely agree. But if I were someone wanting more PT, I'd prob go elsewhere and not gamble on someone getting injured.

Coach Crazy
06-25-2015, 05:14 PM

EMac, Perkins, and Melson are set at guard. All are more physically capable of being a defensive impact, and all have far more overall tools than a Mussini-type player. As well, we simply don't know what we have in Alberts, in terms of versatility. If you plan on giving KD more minutes, BA will be splitting time between the 2 and the 3. In order to do what you are saying, they'd have to place more value in a vastly undersized true freshman guard who has never played with an American team, over players that either have rotational and starting experience at the college level, or redshirted and come in heavily touted by Coach Few.

The only way this kid gets any playing time is by doing something extraordinary on the offensive end, and proves not to be, at the very least, a liability on the defensive end. I just don't see it. At St. John's at least he comes into a situation where they need contributors. Also, Mussini is one of those kids that will need a USG% rate that is not congruous with this team's approach, to be any kind of offensive contributor. He'd never be the second or third option on this team unless you are throwing the likes of Rem and Triano out there.

If he wants to come here and be

ZagsObserver
06-25-2015, 06:16 PM
I didn't say he would be playing over any of those guys. I'm just saying that we had one more body last year than we do this year, so far. All received some playing time last year, and I would expect the same if M came.

ZagsObserver
06-25-2015, 06:22 PM
I would personally like a kyle bankhead for depth. That's who I see him as.

Coach Crazy
06-25-2015, 09:47 PM
I didn't say he would be playing over any of those guys. I'm just saying that we had one more body last year than we do this year, so far. All received some playing time last year, and I would expect the same if M came.

So, he'd be coming to Gonzaga for Nunez-type minutes...

ZagaZags
06-25-2015, 09:56 PM

Like I said 2 weeks ago, Gonzaga isn't going to be a sexy pick for 2015 recruits. I'm not saying they can't pick one up but it will be a challenge. ( GoZags did say we could land a player overseas.)

Mantua
06-25-2015, 11:57 PM

Let's not discount Rem's valuable contribution. Does Mussini have any celebratory dance talent?

ZagsObserver
06-26-2015, 07:03 AM

Nope, they lost a body at the guard spot. More like melson minutes. An injury away from much more

LongIslandZagFan
06-26-2015, 08:29 AM
I think Jazz nailed it...Italy's 5 hours to NY, but 10 to GU. That's a big deal to a mama's boy. Will be fun to follow him regardless.

Speaking as someone who has flown to Europe a couple of times. New York TO Italy would be about 8-8.5 hours... Italy TO New York is closer to 10 hours depending on headwinds. Spokane... well that would tack on another 7 or so going either direction. Same idea though.

cjm720
06-26-2015, 08:37 AM
Speaking as someone who has flown to Europe a couple of times. New York TO Italy would be about 8-8.5 hours... Italy TO New York is closer to 10 hours depending on headwinds. Spokane... well that would tack on another 7 or so going either direction. Same idea though.

Been way too long for me...

LongIslandZagFan
06-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Been way too long for me...

That is what I was thinking as I flew back from Amsterdam going into hour 7. :)

jazzdelmar
06-26-2015, 11:41 AM
That is what I was thinking as I flew back from Amsterdam going into hour 7. :)

Schiphol to JFK a tough one. Bad hours plus leaving wonderful, clean, peaceful AmDam and landing at the sewer that is JFK is no joy. And you're right about the Italy travel, I didn't want to correct the post as the message still, well, flies.

seacatfan
06-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Count me as one that doesn't see minutes for Mussini as a Zag this upcoming season. Lost 3 graduating Sr., but add in Alberts and Perkins, plus undoubtedly expanded roles and minutes for Dranginis, McClellan and Melson...where's he going to fit? Don't see a role like Melson last year, more like Griffin minutes--ie. mop up duty in blowouts only.

ZagsObserver
06-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Count me as one that doesn't see minutes for Mussini as a Zag this upcoming season. Lost 3 graduating Sr., but add in Alberts and Perkins, plus undoubtedly expanded roles and minutes for Dranginis, McClellan and Melson...where's he going to fit? Don't see a role like Melson last year, more like Griffin minutes--ie. mop up duty in blowouts only.

Not only did we lose a body this year as compared to last, but do you really see either Perkins or McClellan getting Pangos minutes?

webspinnre
06-26-2015, 12:23 PM
I don't think it'd even take that. Give Dranginis, Mclellan and Perkins 30 minutes each, and that leaves maybe 18 for Melson and 12 for Alberts, even if neither Wiltjer or Sabonis spend any time at the 3.

DukeSilver
06-26-2015, 12:39 PM
We seem awfully quick to forget the reports on Mussini that came out of the Nike Hoops Summit ... As I recall, he was scoring effectively against elite level competition. He's a bit on the scrawny side now, but give him a couple summers (or even a redshirt year) with Travis Knight, and we could have quite the player on our hands.

High risk prospect? Maybe. High ceiling prospect? Definitely.

seacatfan
06-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Not only did we lose a body this year as compared to last, but do you really see either Perkins or McClellan getting Pangos minutes?

No, but Pangos was playing what, around 38 min/game out of necessity, that was never ideal. Between Perkins getting hurt 5 games in and McClellan not being eligible until January and then not being cleared to play immediately because of foot problems, the rotation was jacked up all year long. I see 5 guys playing 3 positions as PLENTY deep of a rotation, don't see that as being short 1 player at all. 2 deep at every position is not realistic. Many college teams play 7 or 8 for the vast majority of the minutes. A 9 player rotation is really deep. If you actually try to get 10 players meaningful minutes...the math just doesn't add up.

Zagdawg
06-26-2015, 12:48 PM
We have a good number of solid guards Perkins, NWG, Alberts, and Melson that will be playing 2016-17 (after we lose Mclellan and Dranginis)-- Mussini is a shooter and even with a redshirt year (2015-16)--we will still have a good number of guards--but maybe he decides to come here to work on his strength for a year and take spot minutes initially (I don't see him bumping Perkins/NWG to take some of their minutes--but maybe as their backup).

TexasZagFan
06-26-2015, 12:48 PM

As much as I loved my 4 years in Spokane, the lights of NYC are far more enticing to a young man. He would really have to fight to get significant minutes. I don't see it.

TexasZagFan
06-26-2015, 12:49 PM
We seem awfully quick to forget the reports on Mussini that came out of the Nike Hoops Summit ... As I recall, he was scoring effectively against elite level competition. He's a bit on the scrawny side now, but give him a couple summers (or even a redshirt year) with Travis Knight, and we could have quite the player on our hands.

High risk prospect? Maybe. High ceiling prospect? Definitely.

I don't see it as high risk if he redshirts. If he doesn't, it's more like he'll end up like Vilarino, picking splinters out of his behind.