PDA

View Full Version : Hoopfest - Dangerous Heat

DixieZag
06-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Looking at the forecast just for the next few days, happened to see the forecast for next weekend - Hoopfest weekend.

Highs on Fri - low, mid- 90s. Highs for Saturday, high 90s. Sunday (and people can check the SR) 107 degrees.

People way smarter than me will make decisions as how to best handle it. To me 107 sounds like dangerous heat for the very young, the elderly, and many others, including people planning on still playing Sunday.

I would consider moving start times on Sat/Sun way back - it is light enough to play at 5:30 a.m. easy. It would make sense to me to try to have final games at 11:00-12:00 a.m. on Sunday, rather than 3:00 - 4:00 pm they generally are. But, again, people smarter than me will make those calls, and there may be other factors at work, TV and such.

It is still a ways out, but I thought I'd throw out a forewarning for people planning on attending or playing. There's always a chance it will be hot, and I'm sure all plan accordingly. But, this hot? Plan accordingly. I would watch the forecasts closely, and perhaps pay attention to what the elite organization (that I respect a lot) decides, there may be last minute changes.

willandi
06-21-2015, 10:17 AM
91, 96, 101 on weather.com. Don't know weather or not they are right, but you are righr, and ounce of prevention is worth alot of cure!

ProjectMKUltra5
06-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Two days of basketball in 100+ degree heat and not an inch of breathing room. Sunburns, scraping the body up on the cement, and games getting chippy cause it's so f****** hot.

http://i.imgur.com/9ikvDmd.gif

ProjectMKUltra5
06-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Also, if you need a good spot to hang out and beat the heat, the old convention center is the place to be. They got that big overhang that provides a bunch of shade and it's right off the river. It's waaaaaaay less crowded then the rest of downtown too. It's been my secret chill spot between games for years lol.

DixieZag
06-21-2015, 10:56 AM
91, 96, 101 on weather.com. Don't know weather or not they are right, but you are righr, and ounce of prevention is worth alot of cure!

Every couple of degrees matters at those temps.

They just raised it on SR. Saturday 100, Sunday 108 - - - http://www.spokesman.com/weather/

If it truly is going to be that hot on Sunday, I don't see much alternative to moving start times to very early in the morning, get the championship in before noon. Stupid of me to throw my opinion in when so many of the best organizers in the country involved, but, well, there it is fwiw.

Bogozags
06-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Every couple of degrees matters at those temps.

They just raised it on SR. Saturday 100, Sunday 108 - - - http://www.spokesman.com/weather/

If it truly is going to be that hot on Sunday, I don't see much alternative to moving start times to very early in the morning, get the championship in before noon. Stupid of me to throw my opinion in when so many of the best organizers in the country involved, but, well, there it is fwiw.

I remember when I coordinated the "PEACH TREE ROAD RACE" in Kuwait (2005), we had to run at 4:30am because the Black Bulb Temperature was at its lowest at that time of the day and keep in mind that our humidity was awfully low too. It was actually 94degrees when the race began and reached 100 before the race was completed. Had 1200 service members participating in the event, without incident I might add. Let's hope Spokane has more moisture in the air then we had...

cjm720
06-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Sounds miserably fun. In the 5 years that I've played it always seemed to be in the 90s...brutally hot on those street surfaces. 107 sounds horrendous....hydrate up, bring a hate, and no excuses!

Angelo Roncalli
06-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Sounds miserably fun. In the 5 years that I've played it always seemed to be in the 90s...brutally hot on those street surfaces. 107 sounds horrendous....hydrate up, bring a hate, and no excuses!

Bringing some hate is always useful.

Bouldin4Prez
06-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Sounds like partying the night before the games might be out of the question this year.

DixieZag
06-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Forecast just raised: No exaggeration:

Fri: 98
Sat: 104
Sun: 111
Mon: 112

That is the S.R.s forecast as of 6:30 on Monday Evening.

That's dangerous stuff. Hope they can find a safe way.

MTZag03
06-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Sheesh. I wonder what it will be with the heat island effect. Seriously this could be dangerous.

kitzbuel
06-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Get some lights up and do it at night.

MDABE80
06-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Highest in history is 107...once in the 50's and once in the 60's when I was mowing the quadrangle.
Spokesman tends to exagerate things Dix. Most others say 104 degrees is the peak for the next several days .......Sunday and Monday.then things cool off. I can see that. I'll be on the pavement selling parking and water for charity. Could be quite difficult for the players.

zagamatic
06-22-2015, 09:50 PM
I think that it's Mother Nature's way of over compensating for when ESPN is usually in town to cover hoops action and it's snowing and/or 15 degrees outside.
Seriously though, I've suffered from heat exhaustion at work before, IT SUCKS! If you're playing, seek shade and stay hydrated.

OZZY
06-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Wow you guys are suffering!

Here in Western Sydney we get 2-4 days per year of 44-46 degrees (111-116F) but no one is crazy enough to play a game like basketball then. Cricket yes, but basketball no way....

Keep cool!

ProjectMKUltra5
06-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Better hope your court is between buildings or something cause those courts out in the open parking lots are gunna be hell.

DixieZag
06-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Highest in history is 107...once in the 50's and once in the 60's when I was mowing the quadrangle.
Spokesman tends to exagerate things Dix. Most others say 104 degrees is the peak for the next several days .......Sunday and Monday.then things cool off. I can see that. I'll be on the pavement selling parking and water for charity. Could be quite difficult for the players.

SR has as of Tuesday

Fri: 99
Sat: 105

And Weather.com has

Sun: 106

Yeah, anything over 100 is just bad, All say Sunday is hottest. That's rough - the games a guy wants to win most come on the hottest day after playing in intense heat for 2 days?

Kitz idea of lights is good, if they can make it work logistically or moving early a.m., but no word yet: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jun/23/scorching-heat-on-its-way/

“It’s not the first time we’ve had hot weather, but it’s definitely the upper boundary,” Executive Director Matt Santangelo said. “Our biggest concern is for the court monitors, so we’re trying to be proactive and increase the number of water runs we are providing.”

Volunteer medical teams staffing Hoopfest will be prepared to treat heat stroke, heat exhaustion and burns, said Robbie Thorn, the emergency department manager at Providence Holy Family Hospital.

“When patients fall to the ground and are injured, they sometimes forget how hot the pavement is,” Thorn said. “If their skin is in contact with the asphalt too long, it can burn and require first aid.”

Crews will have extra IV supplies plus ice and towels to cool down patients, she said.

“Players can start hydrating early,” Thorn advised. “Drink lots of fluid the night before and continue throughout the day. Water and drinks with electrolytes are helpful for staying hydrated. Avoid carbonated beverages.”

CDA IronMan is also this weekend. Maybe the only thing worse than playing 3-3 hoop on asphalt at 100 is biking 100 miles and then running 26.

Pargo the Destroyer
06-23-2015, 11:08 AM
SR has as of Tuesday

Sat: 105

And Weather.com has

Sun: 106

Yeah, anything over 100 is just bad, All say Sunday is hottest. That's rough - the games a guy wants to win most come on the hottest day after playing in intense heat for 2 days?

Kitz idea of lights is good, if they can make it work logistically or moving early a.m., but no word yet: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jun/23/scorching-heat-on-its-way/

CDA IronMan is also this weekend. Maybe the only thing worse than playing 3-3 hoop on asphalt at 100 is biking 100 miles and then running 26.

I dont see the heat being a huge deterrent. Ive played in the last 23 of these things and we have experienced everything from torrential downpour to outright hot. It needs to be on the players to make sure they hydrate anytime before thursday and continue the intake of fluids all weekend. There is plenty of shade available as well. Its worth noting nobody is there against their own free will. I for one am very excited along with my son who is playing for the first time this year. We are taking extra precautions as necessary and expect hoopfest to be a huge success once again.

MDABE80
06-23-2015, 12:12 PM
It's tough. Last time we saw this heat was 1998. Hottest SUmer.
I just hope the players and fans ( who xometime are more active than the players!!) keep shade in mind and drink lots of water/gatorade.............etc.
I usually well 2000 bottles of water. Not sure that'll be enough. Remember everyone, David's Pizza is open. with lots of ice and lots of water. Mark's a great operator. Come see us across the street south of the Arena. They'll keep you fed and watered.

Ezag
06-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Add another 10 degrees for blacktop, downtown and crowds

DixieZag
06-23-2015, 03:04 PM
I for one am very excited along with my son who is playing for the first time this year. We are taking extra precautions as necessary and expect hoopfest to be a huge success once again.

How cool!

That will be fun to see your son play for the first time. I'm sure you'll be more into his games than your own. Good luck!

I'm sure it will be a huge success, that I don't doubt at all. Just hope everyone stays safe.

Pargo the Destroyer
06-23-2015, 08:48 PM
How cool!

That will be fun to see your son play for the first time. I'm sure you'll be more into his games than your own. Good luck!

I'm sure it will be a huge success, that I don't doubt at all. Just hope everyone stays safe.
Thanks dixie...you are correct. He's 10 and is very excited. We have our little streak going as well....23rd overall but 15 years with the same guys.. either way it'll be memorable and hot as heck.

TheZagPhish
06-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks dixie...you are correct. He's 10 and is very excited. We have our little streak going as well....23rd overall but 15 years with the same guys.. either way it'll be memorable and hot as heck.

Old school rep, man. Happy hydration and best to you all!

Zagceo
06-25-2015, 03:23 PM
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/hoopfest_zps73jvl652.jpg

ZagNative
06-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Zags manning the BIS Booth, per GoZags.com (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=627537&SPID=90846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210168456&DB_OEM_ID=26400):

The Battle in Seattle booth will be located in Riverfront Park.

Saturday’s appearance schedule will have men’s players Silas Melson, Ryan Edwards and Eric McCllelan available at 11:30 a.m., and Pzremek Karnowski, Rem Bakamus and Dustin Triano available at 1:30 p.m. Women’s basketball hoopsters Emma Wolfram and Elle Tinkle will cap the day starting at 3 p.m.

Sunday’s schedule will include men’s players Kyle Dranginis, Josh Perkins and Bryan Alberts at 10 a.m. and women’s players Shelby Cheslek and Shaniqua Nilles at 3 p.m.

Battle in Seattle Booth Player Schedule

Saturday

11:30 a.m. – Silas Melson, Ryan Edwards, Eric McClellan

1:30 p.m. – Pzremek Karnowski, Rem Bakamus, Dustin Triano

3:00 p.m. – Emma Wolfram, Elle Tinkle

Sunday

10:00 a.m. – Kyle Dranginis, Josh Perkins, Bryan Alberts
3:00 p.m. – Shelby Cheslek, Shaniqua Nilles

ZagNative
06-26-2015, 06:44 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A0qsuI6NRwY/VY4O5UEso0I/AAAAAAAChqU/dpud1iw9F1M/s768/2015-06-26%252520Hoopfest.jpg

MDABE80
06-26-2015, 06:50 PM
They backed off on the tempz nbt not enough to matter. It's going to be too hot ...like dangerous hot. Big the juggs of water'

ZagaZags
06-26-2015, 07:08 PM
They backed off on the tempz nbt not enough to matter. It's going to be too hot ...like dangerous hot. Big the juggs of water'

You had me at big jugs.

DixieZag
06-26-2015, 09:34 PM
All I know is today (SR says it was 97) I walked out and could not imagine playing on black top in the sun. Maybe shade on gray pavement would be "ok." SR has 104 tomorrow and 108 Sunday - even if those numbers are fudged high, it still seems Sunday will be 6-8 degrees hotter than today.

Abe's right. That's dangerous. I am almost more concerned about young children, older grandparents as spectators and their health as players (who presumably will know and have super cold water).

Have fun everyone, play well, stay safe!

jazzdelmar
06-27-2015, 04:42 AM
How do you get one or more of those great posters?