PDA

View Full Version : ESPN/Hoopfest tidbit

TheGonzagaFactor
06-19-2015, 06:24 AM
Found this article about the six events that Sportscenter is going on the road for. Hoopfest is the first stop. I figured this would be similar to their "50 States in 50 Days" features they've done in the past, and it is. Kind of.

They will only be there for a 3 hour stretch on Sunday morning (from 7-10am, after 25% of teams are eliminated completely). The anchors will be Matt Barrie and Jaymie Sire.

I'm still glad they're coming, but this is disappointing given that many speculated they would be here for the whole weekend with actual ESPN personalities and national recognition. Of course these were pipedreams. This is a 10a-1p ET slot. Many were hoping this would be a ringing endorsement of Gonzaga/Spokane basketball on the national stage, and that probably won't be the case. It is much better than nothing, though.

Other stops include:
Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
Knoxville Cornhole Championships
Horseshoe Tournament in Kansas
Horse race in NY
WNBA All-Star Game

We've made it to the bigtime.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/ESPNs-SportsCenter-to-broadcast-live-from-Knoxville-in-July-308240951.html

ProjectMKUltra5
06-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Well that's disappointing, it's better then nothing though. I think once they go they'll realize it's quite a bit different and likely much bigger then a cornhole championship or horseshoe competition and start coming back.

I wonder what kind of names will be in the elite brackets? That might make a big difference in getting GU some airtime. Couple years ago Josh Hyfelt, David Pendergraft, Brian Michaelson, and Nik Raivio won the 6 foot and over bracket. Something like that would be dope.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Well that's disappointing, it's better then nothing though. I think once they go they'll realize it's quite a bit different and likely much bigger then a cornhole championship or horseshoe competition and start coming back.

I wonder what kind of names will be in the elite brackets? That might make a big difference in getting GU some airtime. Couple years ago Josh Hyfelt, David Pendergraft, Brian Michaelson, and Nik Raivio won the 6 foot and over bracket. Something like that would be dope.

Those guys played together a few times, also with Hernandez in for Michaelson. I searched the Hoopfest team tracker for Heytvelt and Pendergraft as well as the last name Raivio. None of them are playing this year.

ProjectMKUltra5
06-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Those guys played together a few times, also with Hernandez in for Michaelson. I searched the Hoopfest team tracker for Heytvelt and Pendergraft as well as the last name Raivio. None of them are playing this year.

Bummer. They release the brackets Wednesday so we'll know if anybody big is in then.

Even with the limited airtime I still think it's a virtual lock that GU gets some airtime because of Santangelo. Don't see how they don't do a segment with him and show some old highlights or something.

LongIslandZagFan
06-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Found this article about the six events that Sportscenter is going on the road for. Hoopfest is the first stop. I figured this would be similar to their "50 States in 50 Days" features they've done in the past, and it is. Kind of.

They will only be there for a 3 hour stretch on Sunday morning (from 8-11am, after 25% of teams are eliminated completely). The anchors will be Matt Barrie and Jaymie Sire.

I'm still glad they're coming, but this is disappointing given that many speculated they would be here for the whole weekend with actual ESPN personalities and national recognition. Of course these were pipedreams. This is an 11a-2p ET slot. Many were hoping this would be a ringing endorsement of Gonzaga/Spokane basketball on the national stage, and that probably won't be the case. It is much better than nothing, though.

Other stops include:
Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
Horseshoe Tournament in Kansas
Horse race in NY
WNBA All-Star Game

We've made it to the bigtime.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/ESPNs-SportsCenter-to-broadcast-live-from-Knoxville-in-July-308240951.html

11a-2p on a Sunday is NOT a bad time slot.

SanDiegoZag
06-19-2015, 10:32 AM

According to Direct TV, Sportscenter is only on from 7 to 10AM PST...so not sure if that extra hour just won't be played at all, or will be shown during one of the later recordings during the day.

Also, it is supposed to be 103 and 104 on Saturday and Sunday for Hoopfest...so it is gonna be damn hot.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Bummer. They release the brackets Wednesday so we'll know if anybody big is in then.

Even with the limited airtime I still think it's a virtual lock that GU gets some airtime because of Santangelo. Don't see how they don't do a segment with him and show some old highlights or something.

We already know who is/isn't playing. The brackets aren't out yet but teams/players are already listed on the Hoopfest website.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-19-2015, 10:35 AM

I didn't say it was bad (if that's how you read it), but it's not a good time slot. Midday Sunday... not exactly prime time.

EVERYONE BY THE WAY: I INCORRECTLY LISTED THE TIME ON MY FIRST POST. I have edited it to have the correct time (7-10a) which is worse than originally thought. Games don't even start til 8.....?

tinfoilzag
06-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Other stops include:

I hope I never witness, or participate in, a Cornhole competition.

Pargo the Destroyer
06-21-2015, 09:50 PM

Santangelo, stepp, calvary and a local guy playing in the elite bracket. And they're allowing dunking in the elite bracket this year.

americasteam
06-22-2015, 06:10 AM
Santangelo, stepp, calvary and a local guy playing in the elite bracket. And they're allowing dunking in the elite bracket this year.

Dunking IS new this year but is ONLY allowed on Center Court. Matt and team really thought it would add to the experience and the center court back board manufactures have promised that it can handle it.

Matt said with ESPN coming, he really wants a local team to win, so he decided to form a team to challenge for the championship.

LongIslandZagFan
06-22-2015, 07:15 AM

Snap... that sounds like a tough team. Casey might not be as young as he was... but I am sure he can still bang with the best of them.

cjm720
06-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Would be sweet to see these guys win and get some national pub

MDABE80
06-22-2015, 11:22 AM
LIZ...I saw him play last year in the pick up games..he's tough as ever but has lost some of his springs. Still though, he's got more than enough to do dunks when he feels like it. ..hard to imagine those kids from 15 -16 years ago are well into their 30's.

Mr Vulture
06-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Who's the local guy?

zagirl2k
06-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Sean Farnam, who has called GU games for ESPN in the past and is a big fan of the flatbread at the Davenport Hotel, will be in Spokane all weekend for Hoopfest. Not sure how much air time he will have, but he will be there according to his Twitter account. He and Jaymee Sire have been chatting about it. Also, she is from Montana originally so she has some regional knowledge at least.

willandi
06-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Sean Farnam, who has called GU games for ESPN in the past and is a big fan of the flatbread at the Davenport Hotel, will be in Spokane all weekend for Hoopfest. Not sure how much air time he will have, but he will be there according to his Twitter account. He and Jaymee Sire have been chatting about it. Also, she is from Montana originally so she has some regional knowledge at least.

Thank you! I have been racking my brain trying to remember which ESPN person had said that they were going to be here for the whole weekend. I just couldn't remember, so this morning I did a search, here on the forum, for Hoopfest. I started to get excited...mee was going to be here, along with nature_boy, and a bunch of forum members were trying to set up a get together for beers. Since I don't know very many, personally, I thought it would be a good time and worth the effort to make the gathering. Then I noticed that the posts were from 2010! That sure let the air out of my balloon!

Pargo the Destroyer
06-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Who's the local guy?

I cant remember off the top of my head, he played some JC ball from what I recall. The brackets/teams will be released tomorrow and we can all look then. They are going to be a tough team. Im not sure if the local guy has any size..that would be the only concern.