PDA

View Full Version : Schedule tidbit

Angelo Roncalli
06-12-2015, 05:39 AM
Zags will host Mt. St. Mary's on 11/21.

gonzagafan62
06-12-2015, 06:06 AM

Not a great team, but good to see the schedule filling up !

jazzdelmar
06-12-2015, 06:59 AM
Which one? There are like a dozen I think :)

Angelo Roncalli
06-12-2015, 07:03 AM
Which one? There are like a dozen I think :)

The Mountaineers of the Northeast Conference

jazzdelmar
06-12-2015, 07:14 AM
The Mountaineers of the Northeast Conference

In Emmitsburg? :)

Angelo Roncalli
06-12-2015, 08:27 AM
Add Grand Canyon to the list:

http://www.sports360az.com/2015/06/wcc-power-gcu-hoops-right-on-pace-for-long-term-success/

DixieZag
06-12-2015, 08:42 AM

http://www.sports360az.com/2015/06/wcc-power-gcu-hoops-right-on-pace-for-long-term-success/

They're not there, yet. But, just seeing what that school is doing in all directions, they intend to be very good as soon as possible. That might be 50 years from now, but it won't be from lack of trying.

jazzdelmar
06-12-2015, 08:43 AM

Didn't Paul Westphal coach there years ago? Geez, we don't need another Pacific, unless they are euthanized as a WCC member.

Bogozags
06-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Am hoping the WCC doesn't add another team, especially one that is trying to establish themselves.

jchocolate99
06-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Didn't Paul Westphal coach there years ago? Geez, we don't need another Pacific, unless they are euthanized as a WCC member.

I wasn't thrilled with the idea either when I read the article but if it is something that gets forced on us at least they're in a new market for the conference and at least it's a school that is very much trying to be better and spend the money unlike some of the bottom feeders in our conference.

ProjectMKUltra5
06-12-2015, 09:49 AM
I don't agree with bringing in another bottom feeder like Pacific but if that's the case I'd rather it be Seattle U. Better school and the athletic programs are further along then GCU. They've actually got that basketball team making some noise.

hooter73
06-12-2015, 10:13 AM
No. One more comes in and someone is going to have to leave. Either another bottom feeder or a top that is tired of the BS. BYU is not here forever and they are the only thing making our conference legit for us to stay in these days.

sittingon50
06-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Upon 1st read I'm thinking "why would the Zags be playing them so early?"

gozagswoohoo
06-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Ummmm....that's my birffday. If I come to Spokane, will you guys all meet me at Jack and Dan's and we will sing Happy Birthday together? To me.

gozagswoohoo
06-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Upon 1st read I'm thinking "why would the Zags be playing them so early?"

I did the same thing. Haha.

ZagaZags
06-12-2015, 12:51 PM

Secret Scrimmage: ?

1. N/A *
2. GU vs Pitt in Japan, Nov 13 *
3. @ SMU *
4. Mt. St. Mary's @ GU, Nov 21
5. Battle 4 Atlantis November 25, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
6. Battle 4 Atlantis November 26, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
7. Battle 4 Atlantis November 27, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
8. WSU *
9. Arizona at GU: Saturday December 5, 2015.
10. Montana @ GU: December 8, 2015
11. UCLA at GU: Saturday December 12, 2015.
12. Battle in Seattle, Tennessee.
13. WCC @ GU: December 21, 2015.
14. WCC @ GU: December 23, 2015.
15. WCC @ GU: December 28, 2015. (Portland.)
16. WCC/OOC (New Year's Eve?) *
17. WCC
18. WCC
19. WCC
20. WCC
21. WCC
22. WCC
23. WCC/OOC *
24. WCC
25. WCC
26. WCC
27. WCC
28. WCC
29. WCC
30. WCC
31.WCC

* Is just a guess on order.

hooter73
06-12-2015, 01:26 PM
I like it looking like a real OOC schedule again.

DixieZag
06-12-2015, 03:31 PM
I like it looking like a real OOC schedule again.

Sure does. Exciting. They know what they're doing. They know what they have.

I do still lament the WCC starting even before Christmas now. That has to be one of the earliest conference openings in the country.

goodbja
06-12-2015, 03:46 PM
I thought we were scheduled to play Montana on 12/8?

gonzagafan62
06-12-2015, 03:55 PM

We sure are.

ZagaZags
06-12-2015, 04:23 PM

Fixed it.

Stache
06-13-2015, 07:16 AM
That's an astounding number of miles to fly all in November.

kitzbuel
06-13-2015, 07:32 AM
In Emmitsburg? :)

Yup, just outside Gettysburg.

Any chance this is a home and home? :D

I would take a Zags game in my neck of the woods!

DixieZag
06-13-2015, 08:30 AM

Excellent point. From Japan to the Bahamas, literally halfway back around the world.

RenoZag
06-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Ummmm....that's my birffday. If I come to Spokane, will you guys all meet me at Jack and Dan's and we will sing Happy Birthday together? To me.

My birthday is the 22nd. You can throw in a toast for the old guys while you're at it

albriz
06-13-2015, 02:24 PM
No way Grand Canyon should be in the WCC. They are a for-profit university. Hardly the same tradition as the rest of the WCC members.

spike_jr
06-13-2015, 06:54 PM
No way Grand Canyon should be in the WCC. They are a for-profit university. Hardly the same tradition as the rest of the WCC members.

I hate to burst your bubble, but every university on the planet is for profit (regardless of what they say). I would love to be as "non-profit" as GU.

jazzdelmar
06-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Spike. Big difference between the non profits and the for profits. The latter have a generally poor reputation when it comes to academic rigor, career preparation and governance. Some, such as Corinthian, have recently folded ahead of federal scrutiny. Non profits like GU have plenty of problems, but the for profits are a scourge that need significant change and increased oversight.

DixieZag
06-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Spike. Big difference between the non profits and the for profits. The latter have a generally poor reputation when it comes to academic rigor, career preparation and governance. Some, such as Corinthian, have recently folded ahead of federal scrutiny. Non profits like GU have plenty of problems, but the for profits are a scourge that need significant change and increased oversight.

Agree.

Just saying, GCU does seem to be one of the very few that aims to have some integrity.

MDABE80
06-13-2015, 07:48 PM

A home run;) NIce first post.

ProjectMKUltra5
06-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Read on Twitter that we're actually playing Northern Arizona, not GCU. Any truth to this?

Zagdawg
06-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 11m11 minutes ago

Gonzaga Guru retweeted Gonzaga Basketball
It's finally official! Battle in Seattle will be vs Tennessee on Dec. 19

The 2015 Battle in Seattle is set! The Zags host Tennessee at KeyArena on December 19th! http://goza.gs/1GFWWOq

229SintoZag
06-23-2015, 06:00 PM

For profit universities are largely just ruthless financial frauds: they sign up unqualified or unmotivated students, some often desperate; they "qualify" them for student loans; they cash their student loan money while giving them a subpar-at-best "education" and, even for the few who "graduate" with a "degree" the students often find that they have no prospects, no skills, and a ton of non-dischargeable debt hanging on them like a big albatross.

There are likely some exceptions of course, but this scheme is coming to an end. See the recent SEC investigation into ITT educational, for example, or the recent travails of several others who've tanked, gone bankrupt, or been sued to kingdom come.

The student loan spigot will be cut off from these fraudsters soon, and when it is they will all go the way of the buffalo, and good riddance. Higher education is not and should not be a for profit industry that I can buy stock in through my Ameritrade account. The only folks who will make money in for profit education in the next decade are the smart wall street folks who are short this industry's stock.

RenoZag
06-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Speaking of "for profit " universities: Trump University. The Donald strikes again

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/21/the_donald_trump_scandal_no_one_is_talking_about_p artner/

Schneiderman’s lawsuit alleged that the school’s real estate program, which was unlicensed as an actual university, was complicit in “persistent fraudulent, illegal and deceptive conduct” towards its students, who were often saddled with debt from expensive seminars in lieu of brimming with the promised insider secrets from “Donald Trump’s handpicked instructor[s],” most of whom turned out to have emerged from real estate-derived bankruptcy, or have little background in real estate at all.

Schneiderman claimed that more than 5,000 people paid around $40 million to Trump U, a quarter of which was funneled directly into Trump’s pockets, going against claims that Trump U was founded “solely for philanthropic purposes“––Trump netted around $5 million in profit, according to the suit. Many of the allegations read like a pyramid scheme pamphlet, such as the multiple claims that Trump himself would make an appearance (“‘he is going to be in town’ or ‘often drops by’ and ‘might show up’ or had just left,” the suit reads), and student evaluations required for getting a certificate that “‘pleaded for a favorable rating so that ‘Mr. Trump would invite [them] back to do other retreats.” On top of Schneiderman’s case, a class-action lawsuit in California was filed against the university, which now lists itself as the Trump Entrepreneur Initiative.

jazzdelmar
06-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Good posts, Sinto and Reno. They are despicable and a plague on higher education.

Birddog
06-24-2015, 03:46 AM
It's easy enough to look up. IIRC GCU has over 10,000 students attending on it's main campus. They are also considering a return to "non profit" status .In the main, I agree with the posts about"for profit" universities and their general disregard for anything other than profit however GCU might be an exception. I doubt the conference would let them in in their present form in any case.

sittingon50
06-24-2015, 04:00 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2503940-ncaa-basketball-teams-most-likely-to-run-away-with-2015-16-conference-titles/page/2

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2503940-ncaa-basketball-teams-most-likely-to-run-away-with-2015-16-conference-titles/page/5

ZagaZags
07-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Read on Twitter that we're actually playing Northern Arizona, not GCU. Any truth to this?

I don't know about GCU but Gonzaga will play Northern Arizona this season in Spokane.

SLOZag
08-12-2015, 04:38 PM

The posts in this thread observed (correctly) that we will be flying from our Pitt game in Asia to the Bahamas to play in the tournament there just twelve days later. What was not said at the time (because our opponent then was unknown) is that our first opponent in the Bahamas -- the Huskies -- will be doing essentially the same thing. Twelve days before the Huskies play us in the Bahamas they play Texas in Shanghai! http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/gonzaga-texas-highlight-washingtons-nonconference-mens-basketball-schedule/ Whoever loses our game in the Bahamas sure can't complain that they were disadvantaged by the Asian travel!!

DixieZag
08-12-2015, 05:15 PM
The posts in this thread observed (correctly) that we will be flying from our Pitt game in Asia to the Bahamas to play in the tournament there just twelve days later. What was not said at the time (because our opponent then was unknown) is that our first opponent in the Bahamas -- the Huskies -- will be doing essentially the same thing. Twelve days before the Huskies play us in the Bahamas they play Texas in Shanghai! http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/gonzaga-texas-highlight-washingtons-nonconference-mens-basketball-schedule/ Whoever loses our game in the Bahamas sure can't complain that they were disadvantaged by the Asian travel!!

The Huskies? Travel?

Are you sure they're not just going to Chinatown?

sittingon50
08-12-2015, 08:11 PM
The Huskies? Travel?

:roll:

willandi
08-13-2015, 06:05 AM
The Huskies? Travel?

They renamed the area with Key Arena into Shanghai Heights!

TexasZagFan
08-13-2015, 07:49 AM

Confucius says "Bulldogs will neuter Huskies"