PDA

View Full Version : The Basketball

ZagsGoZags
06-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Does GU keep on hand in Spokane, the basketballs they know their opponents will use right before a road game to that opponent? So that they can practice with those balls the days before the road game? Some coaches do this.

The NCAA allows home teams to choose the basketball, and they can be up to 10% different in weight (20 oz to 22 oz). I am surprised at the weight differences allowed considering the tiny margins a shooter uses taking a shot, by the time the ball reaches the hoop. I wonder if some shooters are better than others in 'feeling' the difference between the lighter and heavier balls, and somehow taking this into account. The simple physics of hoisting a ball over 20 feet, that is even 5% different in weight than other balls I would think would be significant. Perhaps some of the best 3 pt shooters in the land are not those that have machine-like sameness in their release, but those who slightly alter their shot based on weight differences - whether consciously or not. The circumference differences, IMO are not significant at 1 centimeter.

Unlike the NBA and NFL who are bound to a standardized ball for each team, each college BB team chooses the ball it likes best, out of seven or more choices. For instance Wisconsin is the only school to use the Sterling Basketball (manufactured in Puyallup, WA) and their home court advantage (from 2000-2012) was 6th in nation amounting to a nearly 8 pt advantage per home game. At least all D1 conferences are now required to use the same ball during the Conference playoffs. Also the NCAA Tournament requires the Wilson Ball, even though almost 63% of the D1 teams in the nation regularly select the Nike ball. Would it be useful if we use the Wilson ball before going to the Dance? Do we already do that?

I wonder if the home teams are required to let the opponents use the balls that will be used in the game, for day-before, and pre-game practices? Does someone on our board know?

MTZag03
06-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Now this is a thread I haven't seen before. Awesome job. I have nothing to contribute to it, but I hope others do.

bigblahla
06-11-2015, 09:28 PM
alter their shot based on weight differences.

That is exactly what happens....a visit to our local Y is a great example....there may be 8-10 balls for members to use and none of them are the same weight....if you shoot with two or three in one outing you do adjust your shot according to the ball weight. Nice thread.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagamatic
06-12-2015, 04:26 PM
For me, a guy who can barely palm a ball, it's more about the texture and grip than the slight weight difference. The texture affects the spin, etc which has far more of an impact. Perhaps it's different for people with monstrous hands, but the weight was never that much of a factor after the first few shots.

KStyles
06-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Would be interesting to find out. I read an ESPN article (http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13030284/nba-playoffs-game-ball-road-nba-finals) the other day about NBA balls.

ZagsGoZags
06-13-2015, 06:41 AM
For me, a guy who can barely palm a ball, it's more about the texture and grip than the slight weight difference. The texture affects the spin, etc which has far more of an impact. Perhaps it's different for people with monstrous hands, but the weight was never that much of a factor after the first few shots.

Although this article from the NY Times is mostly about the home court advantage produced by every school choosing the ball used in home games, it also address your issue of 'feel' differing 'significantly' from one ball brand to another.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/sports/ncaabasketball/college-home-teams-can-pick-their-brands-of-basketballs.html?_r=2#story-continues-3

I would love to know if the zags address this issue, as UCLA coaches and many other Big Conference coaches do, by keeping at least the four most common balls used, the Wilson, the Nike, the Spalding, and the Adidas.

A UCLA bb coach Scott Garson, states "“You’ve got enough things to fight on the road; the last thing you need to fight is the ball.”