06-10-2015, 12:24 PM
And GUboards explodes.

https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/608620690892320768

gonzagafan62
06-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Few will get the players to hit the shots to win the game

seacatfan
06-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Can't see it, unless Sabonis has a bunch of skills that for some reason he didn't demonstrate at all last year. Wiltjer at the 3 makes a hell of a lot more sense than Sabonis. But this will surely fuel quite a bit of off season speculation on this forum.

Coach Crazy
06-10-2015, 07:23 PM
And GUboards explodes.

https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/608620690892320768

I welcome Fran's expertise in turning him into one...oh, wait. Seriously though, I hope this doesn't turn into a big discussion. OR perhaps all legitimate points made during a potential discussion become part of a "Domas cannot play the 3" sticky?

VinnyZag
06-10-2015, 08:03 PM
I mean, it sounds crazy given that we didn't see Sabonis hit a jumper all year. In fact, Sabonis catching the ball at the free throw line, which happens a lot in the GU offense, was a problem last year because defenses would sag off and dare him to shoot.

But, that's Fraschilla saying that. He knows his stuff and is really well connected.

3XaZag
06-10-2015, 09:05 PM
I mean, it sounds crazy given that we didn't see Sabonis hit a jumper all year. In fact, Sabonis catching the ball at the free throw line, which happens a lot in the GU offense, was a problem last year because defenses would sag off and dare him to shoot.

But, that's Fraschilla saying that. He knows his stuff and is really well connected.

Frankly, I never understood why he didn't shoot from the top of the key when they sagged off. I know that a FT is different than shooting in the flow of the game, but with Sabonis' FT percentage at 66%+ for the season, it seemed like a reasonably good shot. Taking a few of them and at least hitting close to 50% would have given the defense one more thing to have to defend and kept the D from sagging on PK & Wiltjer...opening up more passing lanes. Videos we saw from Europe showed him taking those shots. Since he took zero shots from there it must have been a coaches decision he was willing to live with (demonstrating a lot of maturity in my mind). His 70+ FG percentage close to the basket argues against taking a lot of them, but letting him lose to take a few would vastly complicate the D for the opponents next year.

This isn't a big push for him to play the 3...I am just noting that he had the open looks last year from that spot in the flow of the game, while playing the 4, or event he 5. Just think that taking a few and seeing how that plays out might make sense as an early season experiment.

Zagger
06-11-2015, 03:08 AM
Dontmiss is good - very good. He's also very pationate for the game. It's my take/understanding that Sabonis is at GU to get an education AND get exposure to up his NBA potential. I don't believe Sabonis will be sticking to a particular role, and only that role, with the Zags. I personally see Dontmiss begin to increase his points per game next season and doing so from more areas of the court. Zag firepower in 2015-16 is going to yield some lopsided scores - with not only Dontmiss and Wiltjer providing the entertainment.

jazzdelmar
06-11-2015, 03:44 AM
.....agree, and what a propitious time for the 30 second shot clock.

bartruff1
06-11-2015, 03:50 AM
Apparently Fran has not seen Karno's three ball form....just about perfect....no one on the team is anywhere near his percentage making threes...

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-11-2015, 06:31 AM
This board is too stuck in its ways. No rule states you must start a traditional "1-5 position." PG/SG/SF, etc. are outdated. Let's throw Jenks out there with Edwards, Karno, Sabonis, Wiltjer and get 100% of the rebounds. Let's get creative. Let's blow things up

willandi
06-11-2015, 06:34 AM
...and the GU Board has reached consensus that Franschilla could potentially have a sports related career!

kitzbuel
06-11-2015, 07:03 AM
This board is too stuck in its ways. No rule states you must start a traditional "1-5 position." PG/SG/SF, etc. are outdated. Let's throw Jenks out there with Edwards, Karno, Sabonis, Wiltjer and get 100% of the rebounds. Let's get creative. Let's blow things up

I think the board tends to be more adventurous than Coach Few. Coach Few tends to stay statistically safe. It works for him, and, given the increased importance and availability of data analytics in all sports, I don't see this trend changing.

Zagdawg
06-11-2015, 07:08 AM
Throw all of the bigs out there and half of them would be gassed in 2 minutes trying to keep up with the little guys on the perimeter and running the floor -- any team with a couple of three point shooters would salivate at a Zag lineup like that.

There is a reason that we are fans and coaches coach.......

mgadfly
06-11-2015, 07:21 AM

That lineup would not get 100% of the rebounds and would get killed on defense and probably get Few fired. If we had this in past years Sabonis would have to chase Tyler Haws? Or we'd play a zone and let Delly shoot over the top of it to see if he gets hot?

I hope Sabonis plays the high post exactly like he did this year. If they sag, attack the rim off the bounce. He gets a shot from four feet away instead of sixteen. He's in rebounding position instead of not being in rebounding position. Few didn't order his big men to attack the sagging defense that way because it is statistically bad, he did it because every study ever done says the way to lose a game is to settle for that horrible midrange shot and the way to win a game is to cram the ball down their throats by attacking the rim. Especially with all the new rules (don't charge zones, etc...) favoring attacking the rim.

I know a few generations of basketball players, myself included, were taught to "put pressure" on the defense or "spread the defense" by being able to hit that high post shot. I love when teams settle for that shot against us. Quick, poor 2 point shots that don't go in as often as three point shots, that don't draw fouls as often as attacking the rim, that still allow for long enough rebounds for the defensive team to get out and run. Outside of a select few great midrange shooters (Wiltjer, Morrison) that shot is a very bad idea.

And for what is is worth, I think Sabonis can knock that shot down already but has done as instructed rather than take poor shots.

BULLDOG#1
06-11-2015, 08:14 AM

You do realize size is only one aspect of rebounding. Just as important is quickness to the ball (witness Charles Barkley).

Truth:

Sabonis is an above average rebounder for his size (but not elite)
Karno and Wiltjer are average rebounders for there size (at best)
Edwards eats space but wasn't a very good rebounder (granted there was a small sample size and a lot may have changed with the RS year)

Just my opinion, but folks on this board who think that rolling big bodies out there is going to win games by being unstoppable on offense (or getting 100% of rebounds) are way off base. GU has three very offensively talented bigs. Playing all three together for extended stretches will probably lose offensive flow. Defensively, I just don't see it. Even in a zone, the Stacey Davis's of the world are going to shred the wing. Out of position bigs = foul trouble. Worse, it puts them out of the rebounding position they are accustomed to, mitigating the rebound advantage.

That said, the three do represent an amazing amount of talent and it would hurt always having 1/3 of that talent on the bench. Best option for the wing is Wiltjer though... He's a stretch on offense anyway and has the experience to stay out of foul trouble. His NBA dreams will likely hinge on him showing more lateral quickness anyway, so this may be a forum for him. As for Sabonis, he is near unstoppable on the block - and that's where he belongs -- not enough room for both him and mount Karno down there.

In coach Few I trust, but if it were my team, unless I saw some major development over the summer with a big, Mr. swiss army knife would be starting on the wing.

LongIslandZagFan
06-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Domas is one of the best rebounders we have seen since Ronny... does it make sense to move him away from the post? Just asking. I am all for being creative with lineups and such, but lets play to strengths.

cjm720
06-11-2015, 08:35 AM
You do realize size is only one aspect of rebounding. Just as important is quickness to the ball (witness Charles Barkley).

Truth:

Sabonis is an above average rebounder for his size (but not elite)
Karno and Wiltjer are average rebounders for there size (at best)
Edwards eats space but wasn't a very good rebounder (granted there was a small sample size and a lot may have changed with the RS year)

Just my opinion, but folks on this board who think that rolling big bodies out there is going to win games by being unstoppable on offense (or getting 100% of rebounds) are way off base. GU has three very offensively talented bigs. Playing all three together for extended stretches will probably lose offensive flow. Defensively, I just don't see it. Even in a zone, the Stacey Davis's of the world are going to shred the wing. Out of position bigs = foul trouble. Worse, it puts them out of the rebounding position they are accustomed to, mitigating the rebound advantage.

That said, the three do represent an amazing amount of talent and it would hurt always having 1/3 of that talent on the bench. Best option for the wing is Wiltjer though... He's a stretch on offense anyway and has the experience to stay out of foul trouble. His NBA dreams will likely hinge on him showing more lateral quickness anyway, so this may be a forum for him. As for Sabonis, he is near unstoppable on the block - and that's where he belongs -- not enough room for both him and mount Karno down there.

In coach Few I trust, but if it were my team, unless I saw some major development over the summer with a big, Mr. swiss army knife would be starting on the wing.

Lost me at saying Sabonis isn't an elite rebounder. Beg to differ!

We were #1 in the nation in FG % last year and Sabonis was our best % shooter. I just don't see Few straying away from this strength....I've been wrong before though.

seacatfan
06-11-2015, 08:41 AM
How is what is essentially a FT a poor shot to take? A poor FT shooter hits 50%, most are 60% or above. I say if a defense gives you a FT line jumper, take it.

Who is Jenks? Don't see anyone on the Zags roster with that name.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
06-11-2015, 09:18 AM
You don't get Wiltjer Sabonis and Karnowski to all agree to come back without some assurances that they'll find ways to get them all on the floor at the same time every once in a while so they all get enough minutes.

Wiltjer has the skills to play the 3 on offense and Sabonis has the footwork to play the 3 on defense. You don't have to guard the guy that guards you.

Mark Few has already shown a willingness to cross-match with Wiltjer. Depending on the matchup of what players need to be guarded, it's simple at best and not impossible at worst.

CDC84
06-11-2015, 09:19 AM
I don't think Fran is just tweeting something like this out of thin air. He's well connected to the coaching staff.

I would imagine that Sabonis' main goal this entire offseason to work on a 12 foot jump shot. If he ever gets that down, look out.....

BULLDOG#1
06-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Lost me at saying Sabonis isn't an elite rebounder. Beg to differ!

We were #1 in the nation in FG % last year and Sabonis was our best % shooter. I just don't see Few straying away from this strength....I've been wrong before though.

OK, even calling him an elite rebounder doesn't change the overall message.

seacatfan
06-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Sabonis has the footwork to play the 3 on defense

You're basing that on what? I sure didn't see that last year. I saw him have problems with mobile 4s. No way he could defend a 3 on the perimeter.

CDC84
06-11-2015, 10:25 AM

Jazz's nickname for Josh Perkins.

seacatfan
06-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Jazz's nickname for Josh Perkins.

I know, but it's a dumb nickname and it should be retired permanently. Wasn't it because he thought his name was Jenkins and not Perkins? Fairly embarrassing for a fanbase to adopt a nickname for a player because they couldn't get his name correct.

zagamatic
06-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Sabonis never really HAD TO shoot jumpers last year, but given how well he shoots free throws and his overall accuracy I certainly don't think that he'll be a liability if he does start testing his range. Personally, I don't think that we'll see much ,if any, of the 3 bigs lineup next year. But it could be fun to watch, or it could be a nightmare. I think that I remember seeing all 3 on the floor ONCE last year VERY BRIEFLY.

ZAGGED OUT
06-11-2015, 11:14 AM
How is what is essentially a FT a poor shot to take? A poor FT shooter hits 50%, most are 60% or above. I say if a defense gives you a FT line jumper, take it.

%'s say that it is a poor shot. It is not a given that a player will shoot at or above his FT % with a midrange jumper. The logic behind it is essentially why take a 17 foot shot for 2 points when you can take a 20 foot shot for 3 points. Utilizing the mid range can definitely help space a defense at some posters above have mentioned, but it is not to be relied upon.

I know the whole Jenks thing was a typo that people ran with but....yea...

Also, I think (hope) the post talking about running 4 bigs was satirical. MAYBE we see 3 at a time, but I doubt that lineup would be used on a regular basis, only in certain situations. Some here really seem to want us to cross match on the floor, but I'd really rather we stick to our traditional matchups when playing man defense. When we run our zone is our best chance to see the 3 bigs lineup imo as KW and Domas can play the wings on the 2-3.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I don't think Fran is just tweeting something like this out of thin air. He's well connected to the coaching staff.

I would imagine that Sabonis' main goal this entire offseason to work on a 12 foot jump shot. If he ever gets that down, look out.....

He already has. He showed it 3-4 times last year and it looked really good. This on its own isn't much, but he showed good form and confidence on mid range shots in his Euro highlight tapes.

I've seen a few posts on this thread say Sabonis NEVER took that 12-15 footer. He didn't shoot it much, but he absolutely did have some attempts from that range.

hooter73
06-11-2015, 11:50 AM
OK, I'll bite. Hes already a black hole. Once he has the ball, its going to be a shot attempt. there is no thought of even looking for a pass out no matter how many defenders are on him. That is ok because it works out well (top shooting % in the country at one point last year iirc) but he's doing that while getting the ball five feet from the basket. Put him out on the wing with that same mentality and he'll be yanked faster than Coleman and Nunez combined.

All Im saying is A LOT would have to change about his game this summer for Fraschilla's words to come true and right now, aint broke, dont fix it no matter how many too talented bigs we have.

DixieZag
06-11-2015, 01:26 PM
OK, I'll bite. Hes already a black hole. Once he has the ball, its going to be a shot attempt. there is no thought of even looking for a pass out no matter how many defenders are on him. That is ok because it works out well (top shooting % in the country at one point last year iirc) but he's doing that while getting the ball five feet from the basket. Put him out on the wing with that same mentality and he'll be yanked faster than Coleman and Nunez combined.

All Im saying is A LOT would have to change about his game this summer for Fraschilla's words to come true and right now, aint broke, dont fix it no matter how many too talented bigs we have.

Do you think some of that is a frosh thing that will get worked out as a soph/jr? Seems like some of it might be disinclination to complicate things as a frosh and go with instinct. Just thinking out loud, no way to be sure.

hooter73
06-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Oh Im sure they will. Everyone thought Harris was a one and done after watching him his freshman year... everyone except coach Few who knew how much more to his game he needed.

ZagsGoZags
06-11-2015, 08:07 PM
I know, but it's a dumb nickname and it should be retired permanently. Wasn't it because he thought his name was Jenkins and not Perkins? Fairly embarrassing for a fanbase to adopt a nickname for a player because they couldn't get his name correct.

Simple problem, simple solution. The same answer for this as all the legal issues around 'political correctness' and about basic respectfulness and politeness.
Somebody ask Josh if he cares whether he is called Jenks.
What he says should dictate green light or red light.
Ever had somebody keep calling you something you told them you don't want to be called. That's the issue, when there is an issue.

VinnyZag
06-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Simple problem, simple solution. The same answer for this as all the legal issues around 'political correctness' and about basic respectfulness and politeness.
Somebody ask Domantis if he cares whether he is called Jenks.
What he says should dictate green light or red light.
Ever had somebody keep calling you something you told them you don't want to be called. That's the issue, when there is an issue.

It'd be pretty silly to ask Sabonis that, since the nickname is directed at Perkins.

I think the nickname came about as a typo ... Jazz meant to type Perks, but he typed Jenks instead. What's astounding is the staying power this nickname has had on our board.

webspinnre
06-11-2015, 08:29 PM
It'd be pretty silly to ask Sabonis that, since the nickname is directed at Perkins.

I think the nickname came about as a typo ... Jazz meant to type Perks, but he typed Jenks instead. What's astounding is the staying power this nickname has had on our board.

I think it was Abe who did it.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-11-2015, 08:59 PM

The Blues had a player named McDonald once...my brother and I called him Happy Meal. They have a guy with a big nose now. When he scores, we text each other, "He nose how to score."

It's fun.

zaguarxj
06-12-2015, 07:33 AM

No... What's astounding is how this dead horse has been dug up out of it's grave so that is can be beaten again. :horse:

jazzdelmar
06-12-2015, 08:04 AM

Yup, blame it on the Dock.....but he has since repented....

ZagsGoZags
06-12-2015, 09:38 AM

yes, sorry, duh I went back and changed to Josh, I must be getting old