PDA

View Full Version : This is Jeopardy...

Angelo Roncalli
06-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Last night:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHGwtwdWsAADZ7M.jpg

Zaggin' it
06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Well...don't tease us. What's the answer?

LongIslandZagFan
06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Last night:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHGwtwdWsAADZ7M.jpg

Was it answered correctly?

raise the zag
06-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Was it answered correctly?

What is Gorgonzola?

sittingon50
06-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Well...don't tease us. What's the answer?

:roll:

What was the category, Angelo?

ConnZag3
06-10-2015, 09:57 AM
It was answered correctly but pronounced wrong as GON-ZAH-GA

DixieZag
06-10-2015, 10:05 AM

THAT is exactly what I was about to ask - if Alex went to the judges to ask if that was correct.

Quibbles - not a "college" so much as university, and "more often than not" connotes there was a "not" recently enough that the answer sounded correct to younger players. :)

TravelinZag
06-10-2015, 12:10 PM
THAT is exactly what I was about to ask - if Alex went to the judges to ask if that was correct.

Quibbles - not a "college" so much as university, and "more often than not" connotes there was a "not" recently enough that the answer sounded correct to younger players. :)

Think we'd all have to concede that winning a game or two (if the second opponent isn't strong) before exiting is playing in the tournament, but not necessarily "a big role." We've had a number of those. Happy to have been there, but liked last year so much more! And next?! In any case, the recognition is great.

Francis The Goat Brother
06-10-2015, 12:18 PM

Blayme that stoopid Grant Hill for allwayz pronouncing Gonzaga Rong. What a dweeeeeb ... Eff that lunitick

cjm720
06-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Never understood why we pronounce it like we do...St. Aloysius was born in Italy for crying out loud

ZagNut08
06-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Never understood why we pronounce it like we do...St. Aloysius was born in Italy for crying out loud

I believe you mean Italia, if we are going to go by the Italian way of saying things :)

Same issue with some people pronouncing Notre Dame like the cathedral in Paris.

DixieZag
06-10-2015, 01:03 PM
I believe you mean Italia, if we are going to go by the Italian way of saying things :)

Take it up with the people of "Boise" - named by French explorers.

webspinnre
06-10-2015, 01:20 PM

Exactly. The saint is Gon ZOG uh, the school is Gon ZAG uh. Blame american pronunciation tendencies.

Zagdawg
06-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Nice! Every bit of publicity adds up.

Angelo Roncalli
06-10-2015, 03:18 PM

Ask the French if the Americans "correctly" pronounce the name of a certain university in South Bend, Indiana.

Angelo Roncalli
06-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Let's go to the videotape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJohVtAhR6I&feature=youtu.be

PeninsulaDog
06-11-2015, 10:42 AM
My theory is this: After the turn of the 20th century, (particularly from the 20's onward), there were many, many Irish Jesuits associated with the university and I think their "mispronunciation" of Gonzaga took hold. (Father Cataldo and his contemporaries almost certainly would not have used today's accepted pronunciation.) The Irish, on assuming the language of England, also assumed the English distortion in their pronunciation of Latin words, and words from Latin-derivative languages.

cjm720
06-11-2015, 11:14 AM
My theory is this: After the turn of the 20th century, (particularly from the 20's onward), there were many, many Irish Jesuits associated with the university and I think their "mispronunciation" of Gonzaga took hold. (Father Cataldo and his contemporaries almost certainly would not have used today's accepted pronunciation.) The Irish, on assuming the language of England, also assumed the English distortion in their pronunciation of Latin words, and words from Latin-derivative languages.

Best theory I've heard...thanks for the input!

LongIslandZagFan
06-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Exactly. The saint is Gon ZOG uh, the school is Gon ZAG uh. Blame american pronunciation tendencies.

The Gonzaga H.S. outside DC is pronounced the Euro way, not the Spokane way.

webspinnre
06-11-2015, 03:20 PM

True. I've met a few people from there. We're the weird ones.

sittingon50
06-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Really? There was a kid some years ago that came into K1, think he was with Monmouth, that went to the HS you mentioned, LI. He told me they pronounced it the same way we do. :confused:

Zag365
06-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Really? There was a kid some years ago that came into K1, think he was with Monmouth, that went to the HS you mentioned, LI. He told me they pronounced it the same way we do. :confused:

The kid pranked you. Nobody but Zags pronounce it the way we do (which is why we have this discussion on a daily basis with/about non-Zags' pronunciation).

TheGonzagaFactor
06-12-2015, 07:42 AM
The kid pranked you. Nobody but Zags pronounce it the way we do (which is why we have this discussion on a daily basis with/about non-Zags' pronunciation).

Yep. I sometimes get asked on Twitter how we pronounce it and I tell them... Several say they are from DC and there's a HS there that pronounces it the other way.

Angelo Roncalli
06-12-2015, 08:39 AM
I lived in DC for a couple of years and I recall hearing it being pronounced both ways.

On a lark, I called the school this morning. The lady who answered the phone said "Gonzaga (gone-zag-uh) College High School."

TheGonzagaFactor
06-12-2015, 10:04 AM
I lived in DC for a couple of years and I recall hearing it being pronounced both ways.

On a lark, I called the school this morning. The lady who answered the phone said "Gonzaga (gone-zag-uh) College High School."

How funny would it be if our notoriety caused them to change it, consciously or not?

SWZag
06-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Ask the French if the Americans "correctly" pronounce the name of a certain university in South Bend, Indiana.

How do the French pronounce "Indiana University - South Bend?"