PDA

View Full Version : Perks' Medical Redshirt

raise the zag
06-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Heard rumblings the NCAA denied Josh's request for a medical redshirt.

Jaw injury not deemed "season ending", thus losing a year of eligibility i.e. 3 years to play.

Gonzaga appealing decision.

Is this accurate/correct or still on-going?

This is not a 'rumor' thread whatsoever, rather a sincere question on what I heard. . .

gonzagafan62
06-08-2015, 07:19 AM
This is what I was afraid would happen.

cjm720
06-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Ridiculous

TheGonzagaFactor
06-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Heard rumblings the NCAA denied Josh's request for a medical redshirt.

Jaw injury not deemed "season ending", thus losing a year of eligibility i.e. 3 years to play.

Gonzaga appealing decision.

Is this accurate/correct or still on-going?

This is not a 'rumor' thread whatsoever, rather a sincere question on what I heard. . .

haha, not true.

raise the zag
06-08-2015, 07:27 AM
My understanding is NCAA is/was not aware Josh's jaw took much longer than the "6-8 week" prognosis initially provided by the Doctor.

Appeals take quite some time.

Hoping the NCAA is more flexible and/or subjective given his jaw wasn't fully healed until 3 wks ago!

I'm sure this will work itself out, yet the latest I heard was that Perkins was down to 3 years eligibility until further notice.

raise the zag
06-08-2015, 07:29 AM
haha, not true.

Are you certain? Please elaborate.

As of 3 days ago, this particular source stated the medical redshirt had not gone through…

Not saying Josh won't receive 4 years, yet as of this very moment, the NCAA had NOT granted him a medical redshirt.

Again, this is not some random flame thread; a very open, curious, feedback type concern?

Hoping for the best!

gonzagafan62
06-08-2015, 07:33 AM
My understanding is NCAA is/was not aware Josh's jaw took much longer than the "6-8 week" prognosis initially provided by the Doctor.

Appeals take quite some time.

Hoping the NCAA is more flexible and/or subjective given his jaw wasn't fully healed until 3 wks ago!

I'm sure this will work itself out, yet the latest I heard was that Perkins was down to 3 years eligibility until further notice.

Yeah, in the ESPN Insider article on the other thread posted today, Perkins is still listed as a freshman by the article. I guess they are thinking what you are.

GoZag
06-08-2015, 09:27 AM
If a medical redshirt is denied then would he not still be a redshirt and have 4 years of eligibility? Since he would not need another redshirt year, I don't see much difference between a redshirt and medical redshirt. If he gets hurt again it would be a medical redshirt anyway in the future.

Yeah, in the ESPN Insider article on the other thread posted today, Perkins is still listed as a freshman by the article. I guess they are thinking what you are.

DukeSilver
06-08-2015, 09:31 AM
If a medical redshirt is denied then would he not still be a redshirt and have 4 years of eligibility? Since he would not need another redshirt year, I don't see much difference between a redshirt and medical redshirt. If he gets hurt again it would be a medical redshirt anyway in the future.

Since he played in the first 5 games of the season, he's ineligible for the traditional redshirt.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Obviously he deserves the medical redshirt, and should get it.

However: we could lose him after three more seasons regardless.

thespywhozaggedme
06-08-2015, 09:34 AM
He could theoretically redshirt any of the next 3 years ala Kelly, but that wouldn't really make sense.
Since he played in the first 5 games of the season, he's ineligible for the traditional redshirt.

CDC84
06-08-2015, 09:49 AM
He said on Twitter that he didn't even get cleared for contact until recently. This strikes me as a paperwork issue.

BobZag
06-08-2015, 10:53 AM
False rumor.

cggonzaga
06-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Believe it's irrelevant. Don't believe he's a 4 year player anyhow. I'm thinking this year and hopefully next year.

Mr Vulture
06-08-2015, 11:03 AM
If Perkins develops as expected, I doubt he'd be around to use the medical redshirt anyway. However, I do believe that he will be approved for this when all is said and done. It's a pretty cut and dry case really.

raise the zag
06-08-2015, 12:02 PM
False rumor.

Sweet! Thanks BZ.

Great news.

Although, I think many are correct that Perks isn't a 4 yr type player/prospect for us.

There are some who say he's the best passing prospect in the past decade...per Jerry Meyer. Some say ye was a more athletic version of Tyus Jones, yet underrated due to his propensity to pass instead of score. He can score too.

cggonzaga
06-08-2015, 01:35 PM
From day one, I thought he had a chance to be Trey Burke. Maybe a little lighter scoring but more assists.