PDA

View Full Version : The Story of the Bigs

Outraged
06-07-2015, 06:57 PM
They all were in a position to go somewhere else before the first jump ball next year (including Edwards who could have set out a year at about anywhere). Lucrative offers were cast aside for something bigger and something better. They All went to the mountain top and returned to say they would be back next year. Back for something that will last a lifetime. So when people ask if our bigs are over-hyped? I must say there is no hype. This is a proud group. They know who they are and what they can do and they're going to do it together.

gonzagafan62
06-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Easily the best front court in the nation. Let nobody tell you otherwise. Nobody nobody nobody. Our four Shem Sabonis Edwards wiltjer will dominate all comers this season. This is not normal. We are huge. This obviously doesn't mean we go out there and win a ton of games. It's all earned, but it does mean that we will easily dominate the paint once again this season.

ZagsGoZags
06-07-2015, 11:20 PM
I' betting it means a ton of games too
each guy had his own motivation, and each guy turned down the fastest way to make some money or try to get into the NBA as soon as possible
the chemistry between these bigs has got to be special this coming season

Reborn
06-08-2015, 03:00 AM
They all were in a position to go somewhere else before the first jump ball next year (including Edwards who could have set out a year at about anywhere). Lucrative offers were cast aside for something bigger and something better. They All went to the mountain top and returned to say they would be back next year. Back for something that will last a lifetime. So when people ask if our bigs are over-hyped? I must say there is no hype. This is a proud group. They know who they are and what they can do and they're going to do it together.

Great post. Thanks. To me there is nothing better in life than sacrificing our individual wants for the greater good of the whole. Their sacrifice will reap rewards, imo. I can hardly wait for the season to start.

Zag365
06-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Excellent post. I hadn't focused on what all of the bigs returning might say about their excitement/confidence about a deep NCAA tourney run (maybe a school record opportunity) in 2015-16. If that is their motivation, it seems to me they would also have great confidence in the ability of Perkins/Melson/EMac/Alberts to more than hold their own as well.

cjm720
06-08-2015, 01:12 PM
The way I look at it, there's not a single coach that wouldn't individually start Sabonis, Wiltjer, or Karnowski. Yet, we will likely have one coming off the bench. Add in Edwards, and we arguably have the best front court in the country. Not hype, just real! #gozags #trendingup

TheGonzagaFactor
06-09-2015, 07:40 AM
I'm not saying our guys won't improve, but it's concerning that two of the posts, maybe 3, will be in their last NCAA season and might have other motivations. It definitely had an effect on the 2008-09 team with many of the contributors being seniors/early entry guys looking at improving draft stock. It wasn't a team killer, but that team absolutely did not reach their potential and I think NBA dreams looming over our players' heads had a lot to do with it.

I don't think that'll be the case with this group, as I think Karno and Wiltjer really want a F4/NC. It will just be something to keep an eye on if there are struggles in the paint.

BULLDOG#1
06-09-2015, 11:10 AM
The way I look at it, there's not a single coach that wouldn't individually start Sabonis, Wiltjer, or Karnowski. Yet, we will likely have one coming off the bench. Add in Edwards, and we arguably have the best front court in the country. Not hype, just real! #gozags #trendingup

Any coach worried about perimeter defense would be worried about starting all three together.

jim77
06-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Any coach worried about perimeter defense would be worried about starting all three together.

The other coach better be "MORE" worried about how he'll stop the best front court in America.

Our bigs are the real deal....its the guard play that will determine how far GU goes. Can Perkins step up to the task? I think he can...to me he looks like a guy with the court sense to get it done. The P Machine will also have a VERY court savy Kyle D to nail it down. I expect Kyle D to start at the 2....I just LOVE his toughness. I also like an UNFAZED Eric Mac to get big minutes and press the defense if necessary. Alberts is also gonna get minutes....this guard group needs to really hone their game and learn each other inside and out...cause it will be just that type of play that GU will employ to get it done

. Our guards need to sharpen their 3 prowness cause the other teams are gonna sag....and the drive and dish needs to figure prominent. The only strategy that will work against the 2015-16 Zags is to pressure their guards and hope for the best....Our guards will be ready.

Reborn
06-10-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't have any worry at all about our guards. Excitement is what I feel. I think the guards are going to be really fun to watch and cheer for. Go Zags!!!