PDA

View Full Version : Nothing we didn't already know.

SteelZag
06-06-2015, 11:19 AM
A little loving from Jon Rothstein.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25205985/observations-dont-judge-michigan-based-on-last-seasons-injury-marred-finish

DixieZag
06-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Thank you for the excellent post Steel.

True, nothing new about the Zags, but this:

Zone teams will benefit from the 30-second shot clock: There will not necesarily be more scoring because the shot clock is five seconds shorter. Coaches adjust to the rules, particularly those who don't always secure elite talent. Look for more teams to play zone because it's more difficult to probe a zone than operate against man-to-man. Louisville is a perfect example.

I didn't know it was a done deal. I also didn't know how it might play out - the above seems reasonable.

And;

But if you talk to Lorenzo Romar or his staff, things have never been better because of a recruiting class featuring eight players, several of whom should contribute immediately. They'll join veteran point guard Andrew Andrews and role players Quevyn Winters and Donaven Dorsey on a team of mystery

I didn't know they felt that way b/c I would have assumed they would look better with NWG playing in among those players. :)

Again, thx - good one.

jazzdelmar
06-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Nice piece but he fumbled the main Perks point. If he were healthy LAST year maybe the Zags are NC.

As well, Spike Albrecht is still at Michigan?

SteelZag
06-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Nice piece but he fumbled the main Perks point. If he were healthy LAST year maybe the Zags are NC.

As well, Spike Albrecht is still at Michigan?

Yeah, Kevin playing all but three minutes of our three losses didn't work out for us real well.

As for the proposed rule changes, I'm pretty sure the changes have not been voted on yet. I've seen numerous articles on the subject but they are all a little different and they all make it sound as though the changes are official. I even commented earlier about one of the rule changes being giving players 6 fouls, which I thought would be useful for both PK and Sabonis. Then I read one article which stated that the foul rule might only be used as a trial in the NIT and other post season events.

MDABE80
06-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Jazz....we didn't see enough of Josh to make that statment. He's really good. I'm at least as excited to see EMAC and Draino out front.
People will be surprised how hood our guards are. Domas, WIltjer and Karno will seal the deal many times as we go through the season. Let's hope Josh finds them with reasonable passes. EMAC will.

I'm not shy about predicting another E 8 caliber team by Feb.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-06-2015, 03:55 PM
There was something I didn't know in that article. I didn't know that Coach Romar had picked up enough quality recruits to put a good basketball team on the floor.

I hope our kids throttle all of those quality recruits in the Battle 4 Atlantis.

MDABE80
06-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Romar's always had great talent.........superior recruiter. He's got a silly system and he can't coach his kids into a well oiled team. It's his history. One of the biggest reasons UW only beat us once in the 9 games we played in the modern era. He gets some good kids into the NBA but the team concept is missing. In any team sport, that's the tale of the tape.

seacatfan
06-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I know how much everyone loves bashing Romar and the Huskies, but I'll guarantee the Huskies weren't underachieving or playing selfish basketball with no teamwork or chemistry in the mid 2000's when they went from being one of the worst teams in the conference to one of the best pretty much instantaneously. Or several years later when a team with Brockman and a bunch of unheralded guys won the conference. Hate to ruin the great narrative you all love to repeat, but it's simply not true. Romar did a really nice job the first 10 years or so he was at UW. It's gone downhill since then

seacatfan
06-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Romar's first year at UW wasn't good. 2nd year started off bad as well, 1-5 in conference and looked like they were going nowhere. Finished conference play on a 11-1 streak, including beating undefeated and #1 ranked Stanford at Hec Ed at the end of the regular season. I have to say that was the most electric atmosphere of any game I've ever attended in person. Next 2 years after that were also really good.

MDABE80
06-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Point being, he's turn a program with superior recruits back to the graveyard it once was as a program.
I hope we meet them again this upcoming year and beat em by 20 on TV for all to see. Just my wish and opinion:)

Lorenzo Romar (Pac-10/Pac-12) (2002–present)
2002–03 Lorenzo Romar 10-17 5-13 9th
2003–04 Lorenzo Romar 19-12 12-6 2nd NCAA First Round
2004–05 Lorenzo Romar 29-6 14-4 2nd NCAA Sweet 16
2005–06 Lorenzo Romar 26-7 13-5 2nd NCAA Sweet 16
2006–07 Lorenzo Romar 19-13 8-10 7th
2007–08 Lorenzo Romar 16-17 7-11 8th CBI First Round
2008–09 Lorenzo Romar 26-9 14-4 1st NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Lorenzo Romar 26-10 11-7 3rd NCAA Sweet 16
2010–11 Lorenzo Romar 24-11 11-7 3rd NCAA Second Round
2011–12 Lorenzo Romar 24-11 14-4 1st NIT Final Four
2012–13 Lorenzo Romar 18-16 9-9 T-6th NIT First Round
2013–14 Lorenzo Romar 17–15 9–9 T-9th
2014–15 Lorenzo Romar 16–15 5–13 11th
Lorenzo Romar: 262–144 129–91

Right............the past 4 yrs or so haven't beeen good. He's got an average program that hasn't seen the NCAA Dance for 4 years though. 7 of his 13 years......no NCAA. I'd say he's had talent but the program is in decline. He gets a few kids into the NBA....no doubt. No worries....... I jut don't like him as a coach. lol Thats' my narrative. Gawd the things that go on in my brain sitting in a hospital on a weekend:( lol..

seacatfan
06-06-2015, 05:35 PM
No worries, you can dislike any coach you want to. Overall I think Romar was great for the UW program (they have never been consistently good at any time in their history), but I do believe he's worked himself out of a job and it's time to make a change. I just looked it up, they had 10 Touney appearances from 1943-1999. Romar's 6 appearances between 2004-2011 looks spectacular by comparison to their historical record.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-06-2015, 05:40 PM
I know how much everyone loves bashing Romar and the Huskies, but I'll guarantee the Huskies weren't underachieving or playing selfish basketball with no teamwork or chemistry in the mid 2000's when they went from being one of the worst teams in the conference to one of the best pretty much instantaneously. Or several years later when a team with Brockman and a bunch of unheralded guys won the conference. Hate to ruin the great narrative you all love to repeat, but it's simply not true. Romar did a really nice job the first 10 years or so he was at UW. It's gone downhill since then

I hope that UW puts a competitive team on the floor when we renew the rivalry...AND I hope that Gonzaga beats them over and over.

I actually did not know that UW had recruited so well during this past offseason. I was pleasantly surprised to see a flicker of hope for the upcoming season.

seacatfan
06-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Interestingly GU's consecutive Tourney appearance streak is greater than UW's total appearances all time. Add in the '95 appearance and GU is up by a deuce.

seacatfan
06-06-2015, 05:43 PM
I hope that UW puts a competitive team on the floor when we renew the rivalry...AND I hope that Gonzaga beats them over and over.

I actually did not know that UW had recruited so well during this past offseason. I was pleasantly surprised to see a flicker of hope for the upcoming season.

They needed to bring in a bunch of bodies. Andrew Andrews is the ONLY returning player that has done much of anything ever for the Huskies. Only a couple other deep reserves returning. They were truly gutted with a mass exodus from the program. They will be extremely young and inexperienced next year. I don't think they have the kind of freshmen that helped lead Duke to a National Title.

23dpg
06-06-2015, 06:29 PM
No worries, you can dislike any coach you want to. Overall I think Romar was great for the UW program (they have never been consistently good at any time in their history), but I do believe he's worked himself out of a job and it's time to make a change. I just looked it up, they had 10 Touney appearances from 1943-1999. Romar's 6 appearances between 2004-2011 looks spectacular by comparison to their historical record.

Seatcatfan, I agree with you on Romar. He took a bad program, improved it, then lowered it again. He saved that program but really needs to win next year to save his job.

The part I have an issue with is the 10 tourney appearances from 1943-1999. It's such an apples and oranges comparison. For about the first 25 years of that, you had to win your conference to get in (until 1975). Then the field slowly grew from 24 to 40 to 48 to 53 (yes 53) then finally to 64 in 1985. Using the older standard, I think he's won the Pac 12 twice in his reign, which would be 2 NCAA appearances.

seacatfan
06-06-2015, 07:05 PM
The part I have an issue with is the 10 tourney appearances from 1943-1999. It's such an apples and oranges comparison. For about the first 25 years of that, you had to win your conference to get in (until 1975). Then the field slowly grew from 24 to 40 to 48 to 53 (yes 53) then finally to 64 in 1985. Using the older standard, I think he's won the Pac 12 twice in his reign, which would be 2 NCAA appearances.

Fair enough. The Tournament has definitely evolved significantly over the years. I still think his number of appearances is significant in context. Harshman was pretty well respected but didn't have very many appearances. Bender went back to back years but overall doesn't compare to Romar in my mind.

bigblahla
06-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Jazz....we didn't see enough of Josh to make that statment. He's really good. I'm at least as excited to see EMAC and Draino out front.
People will be surprised how hood our guards are. Domas, WIltjer and Karno will seal the deal many times as we go through the season. Let's hope Josh finds them with reasonable passes. EMAC will.

I'm not shy about predicting another E 8 caliber team by Feb.

Somewhat disagree Doc....I saw enough of Josh to have no worries....maturity in his decision making was the only thing he lacked....had Perkins played we win at "Zona"....BYU might still have boat raced us but Duke would have had to work harder. The outcome may not have changed but IMO Perkins brings an intangible competitive edge to the table that if we had got on top of Duke we might have stayed there....

Just my opinion....

Go!! Zags!!!

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Somewhat disagree Doc....I saw enough of Josh to have no worries....maturity in his decision making was the only thing he lacked....had Perkins played we win at "Zona"....BYU might still have boat raced us but Duke would have had to work harder. The outcome may not have changed but IMO Perkins brings an intangible competitive edge to the table that if we had got on top of Duke we might have stayed there....

Just my opinion....

Go!! Zags!!!

Josh is going to be great. Might have been great this past season. But really don't think he gets us past Duke. And who knows, might have made some poor plays against UCLA or NDSU to cost us those games. It's Kyle's missed layup that haunts me, not the lack of Perks/Jenks.

Gonzdb8
06-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Josh is going to be great. Might have been great this past season. But really don't think he gets us past Duke. And who knows, might have made some poor plays against UCLA or NDSU to cost us those games. It's Kyle's missed layup that haunts me, not the lack of Perks/Jenks.

i'm not sure its perkins stat line that folks think would have gotten us past duke, just that a healthy perkins would have been able to spell pangos. the injury forced pangos to play a ton of extra minutes across the course of the season. not sure if would have changed the outcome, but you gotta think a version of pangos with a few less miles on the legs might have made some of those shots that weren't falling toward the end.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-07-2015, 02:57 PM
i'm not sure its perkins stat line that folks think would have gotten us past duke, just that a healthy perkins would have been able to spell pangos. the injury forced pangos to play a ton of extra minutes across the course of the season. not sure if would have changed the outcome, but you gotta think a version of pangos with a few less miles on the legs might have made some of those shots that weren't falling toward the end.

Yeeeeah, that one from the corner....ahhhhhh. Maybe, you could be right, who knows. He and the rest of the guys will be awfully hungry to make the Final Four though, after coming so close, that's for sure.

DixieZag
06-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Interestingly GU's consecutive Tourney appearance streak is greater than UW's total appearances all time. Add in the '95 appearance and GU is up by a deuce.

I guess the question becomes, regardless of the coach, how is it that the school has had so little success over history? A school that rich, with that kind of academics, sitting in that kind of hotbed of talent, that beautiful a campus, ...it just makes no sense. I'm no UW "fan" but it would take an idiot to not admit how much that school has going for it.

ZagsGoZags
06-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Yeeeeah, that one from the corner....ahhhhhh. Maybe, you could be right, who knows. He and the rest of the guys will be awfully hungry to make the Final Four though, after coming so close, that's for sure.

I'm with you, hoping for the Final Four,
however, most teams that played like we did last year will be thinking of N. Championship as a goal within reach.
It also seems odd to me that in football and baseball getting to the World Series and SuperBowl is talked about a lot.
But in college ball, I hear teams (not just us) talk about wanting to reach Elite 8, Final Four or National Championship. I don't hear many BB fans talking about making it to the final match up between the two top teams left standing. wonder why that is .... ?

bartruff1
06-08-2015, 04:13 AM
They lost confidence in their ability to make threes in that venue...still...they were ahead in the second half...

Doesn't matter now, but it was a shame they didn't get to play in a basketball arena...I don't think Perkins would have made any difference at all in the outcome of the game.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-08-2015, 05:15 AM
I'm with you, hoping for the Final Four,
however, most teams that played like we did last year will be thinking of N. Championship as a goal within reach.
It also seems odd to me that in football and baseball getting to the World Series and SuperBowl is talked about a lot.
But in college ball, I hear teams (not just us) talk about wanting to reach Elite 8, Final Four or National Championship. I don't hear many BB fans talking about making it to the final match up between the two top teams left standing. wonder why that is .... ?

My 2 cents: there are just too many teams in college basketball to realistically hope for/expect a National Championship. As Gonzaga fans, we need to face the possibility that the Zags will not win a National Championship in our lifetimes. In the NBA, you're 1/30...decently realistic to expect one title in your lifetime. In CBB, you're 1/350, then 1/68 in the Tourney. I see making the Final Four as the ultimate goal; anything after that is gravy.

kitzbuel
06-08-2015, 09:56 AM
They lost confidence in their ability to make threes in that venue...still...they were ahead in the second half...

Doesn't matter now, but it was a shame they didn't get to play in a basketball arena...I don't think Perkins would have made any difference at all in the outcome of the game.

I'm with you Bart, but it looks like it will be something we need to figure out. NCAA wants to play its basketball games on football fields.

DixieZag
06-08-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm with you Bart, but it looks like it will be something we need to figure out. NCAA wants to play its basketball games on football fields.

I believe Angelo or GZ or someone else smart said that this was the last year that they are playing SS/E8 games in domes and that domes will be used solely for FF games in the future?