PDA

View Full Version : OT - NCAA charges UNC with five Level I violations in academic probe

CDC84
06-04-2015, 02:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/13012146/ncaa-charges-north-carolina-tar-heels-five-serious-violations

Problem is, punishing UNC is doomed to fail:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-06-04/unc-academic-scandal-fraud-cheating-ncaa-notice-of-allegations-roy-williams-paper-classes

CarolinaZagFan
06-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Oh happy days. Burn baby burn! So relieved to never have to hear about "The Carolina Way" for the rest of my life. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of elitists.

LongIslandZagFan
06-05-2015, 07:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/13012146/ncaa-charges-north-carolina-tar-heels-five-serious-violations

Problem is, punishing UNC is doomed to fail:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-06-04/unc-academic-scandal-fraud-cheating-ncaa-notice-of-allegations-roy-williams-paper-classes

I predict they get a slap on the wrist. NCAA can't take down a blue-blood... bad for business. Stern talking to, loss of a scholly or two.

ProjectMKUltra5
06-05-2015, 10:21 AM
No coaches named in the allegations. Good news for me, paves the way for Butch Davis to come back to the Miami Hurricanes

#SaveTheU
#FireAlGolden

seacatfan
06-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Oh happy days. Burn baby burn! So relieved to never have to hear about "The Carolina Way" for the rest of my life. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of elitists.

Yeah, Carolina should learn from the pros at Duke who somehow manage to get everything that is suspicious COMPLETELY swept under the rug by the NCAA like it never happened. Cough cough, Corey Maggette. What? Lance Thomas $100,000 jewelry shopping trip in NYC. Chris Duhon's mom getting a job she wasn't remotely qualified for. Hmm, yep, Duke is squeaky clean and a shining example of everything that is right with college sports. Or not. But the NCAA won't touch the Dukies as long as K is there reigning supreme.

CarolinaZagFan
06-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Carolina should learn from the pros at Duke who somehow manage to get everything that is suspicious COMPLETELY swept under the rug by the NCAA like it never happened. Cough cough, Corey Maggette. What? Lance Thomas $100,000 jewelry shopping trip in NYC. Chris Duhon's mom getting a job she wasn't remotely qualified for. Hmm, yep, Duke is squeaky clean and a shining example of everything that is right with college sports. Or not. But the NCAA won't touch the Dukies as long as K is there reigning supreme.

Preaching to the choir brotha. They're both evil as can be and could be set ablaze as far as I'm concerned. Duke's got it made because they're a private school. Not as many checks and balances as UNC has to deal with being a state-funded public university. Much easier to hide things. No telling how many failed drug tests they've hidden over the years. Why do you think I had to come all the way to Washington to find a great program to support that does things the right way?

seacatfan
06-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Preaching to the choir brotha. They're both evil as can be and could be set ablaze as far as I'm concerned. Duke's got it made because they're a private school. Not as many checks and balances as UNC has to deal with being a state-funded public university. Much easier to hide things. No telling how many failed drug tests they've hidden over the years. Why do you think I had to come all the way to Washington to find a great program to support that does things the right way?

Sorry, your avatar pic threw me off, thought it indicated support of Duke. My bad. I like Carolina, but this scandal has left egg all over their face.

CarolinaZagFan
06-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Sorry, your avatar pic threw me off, thought it indicated support of Duke. My bad. I like Carolina, but this scandal has left egg all over their face.

Yea I could see that, probably time to change that avatar anyways. Just really hated "Handsburra" as the redneck Heel fans liked to call him haha.

Bkzag
06-06-2015, 06:03 AM
SMU received the "Death Penalty" for its football violations and UNC should get the same for both of its football/basketball programs BUT because they are a Big Five Conference school, they will most probably lose 2-3 basketball scholarships for three years and be omitted from NCAA Tournament for two years. Football team also loses maybe five scholarships and no bowls for two years. It should be much more as their violations began circa 1995!

scott257
06-06-2015, 08:26 AM
This sounds worse than Syracuse. Would expect the punishment to be more severe. Is that correct?

seacatfan
06-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Can anyone imagine the NCAA actually retroactively taking wins away from Dean Smith--a legend, much beloved, and now deceased? I can't see it happening.

There's no predicting what the NCAA will do. They are totally into selective enforcement. They threw the book at USC's football program over the Reggie Bush thing. They gave Ohio St. a firm slap on the wrist several years later. Meanwhile they actively ignore everything that happens with the SEC schools, and you know there are some violations happening. They investigated Auburn for an entire year in the wake of the allegations against Cameron Newton and didn't turn up ONE SINGLE MINOR VIOLATION! That's impossible, every school is unwittingly committing minor violations. You have to willfully ignore what's going on to find literally NOTHING. Boise St. got a slap on the wrist when some potential recruits couch dived with some of the players on the team and they gave them a few bucks to buy a burger or something. Most SEC football players are salaried, yet nothing from the NCAA. Whatever.

LongIslandZagFan
06-06-2015, 10:15 AM
This sounds worse than Syracuse. Would expect the punishment to be more severe. Is that correct?

Syracuse isn't ACC royalty.

DixieZag
06-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Syracuse isn't ACC royalty.

And, has an even longer, even sleazier, history - likely been given the benefit of the doubt any number of times. I refuse to believe that Carmelo Anthony went there for the opportunity to play for Boeheim alone.

I will acknowledge that outside of any bb related cheating, Boeheim is a generous, big-hearted person.

gonzagafan62
06-06-2015, 05:15 PM
SMU received the "Death Penalty" for its football violations and UNC should get the same for both of its football/basketball programs BUT because they are a Big Five Conference school, they will most probably lose 2-3 basketball scholarships for three years and be omitted from NCAA Tournament for two years. Football team also loses maybe five scholarships and no bowls for two years. It should be much more as their violations began circa 1995!

SMU was a power school when they got the death penalty ... They were in the Big 8 with Oklahoma Oklahoma state and the Texas schools. So yeah conference has no bearin here. Neither does a "blue blood" they were a top 5 football team when this happened. I honestly don't care what happens. Won't effect the zags or vols football. Just don't care.

Birddog
06-06-2015, 06:45 PM
SMU was a power school when they got the death penalty ... They were in the Big 8 with Oklahoma Oklahoma state and the Texas schools. So yeah conference has no bearin here. Neither does a "blue blood" they were a top 5 football team when this happened. I honestly don't care what happens. Won't effect the zags or vols football. Just don't care.

Wrong, they were in the SW Conference. They have never been in the Big 8 or Big 12. After suffering through the "death penalty" the NCAA thought that it might have been a little too harsh as it punished the other conference members too much and made recovery almost impossible. That's why schools with similar violations have not been handed the "death penalty" again.

gonzagafan62
06-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Wrong, they were in the SW Conference. They have never been in the Big 8 or Big 12. After suffering through the "death penalty" the NCAA thought that it might have been a little too harsh as it punished the other conference members too much and made recovery almost impossible. That's why schools with similar violations have not been handed the "death penalty" again.

Whatever conference it was. Still was a power conference. Maybe I need to brush up on my conference history too.