PDA

View Full Version : Players in Spokane getting in some work

Zagdawg
06-04-2015, 10:48 AM
pkarnowski
39 minutes ago

Back in the Spokane, first sand workout in the books

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Sand.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Sand.png.html)

Scrimmage in Spokane

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Scrim.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Scrim.png.html)

sittingon50
06-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Looks like Heytvelt in the middle.

zagsfanforlife
06-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Looks like Heytvelt in the middle.

Josh and Steven Gray in this pic. The guys can only get better playing against these players. What a luxury to have and speaks as a testament to the program, the community and the former players to come back and play.

Bouldin4Prez
06-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Who is in the headband at the top of the key?

exclusivelee
06-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Scrimmage in Spokane

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Scrim.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Scrim.png.html)

skins: Dranginis, Wiltjer, Melson, Perkins, Alberts

shirts: Gray, Michael Stockton, Heytvelt, David Stockton, Bakamus

MDABE80
06-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Josh H was MVP of the Japanese leagues this year.as an FYI. Big honor there..............I think he actually rebounded too!!

thespywhozaggedme
06-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Wiltjer; still the body of a 17 year old. lol
Who is in the headband at the top of the key?

Goshzagit
06-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Wiltjer; still the body of a 17 year old. lol

I don't get it with him.

I know he puts in the work. He's put in years of weight room work. Maybe nutrition is off?

Its odd. Hate to make this about me, yet I literally lift one day per week, that's it, one 40-min weight session and I have way more muscle mass/definition than Wiltjer. I drink a protein shake every morning. That is the extent of my "muscle building" routine.

I weigh 167lbs, 5'11", so not BIG or bulky or genes or anything. If anything, I was less built than Kyle to begin with...

I started lifting weights just 1.5 yrs ago and lacked any sort of muscle.

Again, I lift ONE day per week with 60-80 push-ups and sit-ups on off day, and I have put on so much more muscle/definition/mass than Kyle has…

Maybe its his metabolism, maybe its lack of protein/amino acids, or maybe he spends all his time shooting and agility.

I don't know, yet no way is he SERIOUSLY LIFTING TO ADD MUSCLE. There is just no way. I trust the work he's doing, yet Travis Knight can't make him lift, or lift heavy weights that is…which I feel is the one thing holding him back from NBA = muscle.

I'm sure he's strong, yet his body lacks serious muscle and I know my arms/chest/shoulders were WAY SMALLER to begin with, now twice the size. Again, one day in weight room per week, with push ups at night.

I realize strength and muscle can be inversely related on occasion, yet Kyle has been in weight room for 4 years now, at some point, no matter your build…you gain some definition or resemblance of muscle. He certainly isn't pushing the strength limits, so to speak. Kyle should at least be ripped as skinny as he is...

This pic was taken 2 wks ago and he's practically flexing:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFUtVnfUUAE39yU.jpg

thespywhozaggedme
06-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Truthful; non pc naswer? He doesn't dedicate himself in the weightroom. That's not a knock on him, but a fact based on his body. I'll be 43 next Wednesday and I'm pretty buff; 6'0, 202, but I lift like a fool, eat right and work my tail off. Some people hate lifting weights; Kyle appears to be one of those people. But he's a great player, so who am I to say anything. Just wish he had Kelly's work ethic in the weightroom; he'd be unstoppable.
I don't get it with him.

I know he puts in the work. He's put in years of weight room work. Maybe nutrition is off?

Its odd. Hate to make this about me, yet I literally lift one day per week, that's it, one 40-min weight session and I have way more muscle mass/definition than Wiltjer. I drink a protein shake every morning. That is the extent of my "muscle building" routine.

I weigh 167lbs, 5'11", so not BIG or bulky or genes or anything. If anything, I was less built than Kyle to begin with...

Again, I lift ONE day per week with 60-80 push-ups and sit-ups on off day, and I have put on so much more muscle/definition/mass than Kyle has…

Maybe its his metabolism, maybe its lack of protein/amino acids, or maybe he spends all his time shooting and agility.

I don't know, yet no way is he SERIOUSLY LIFTING TO ADD MUSCLE. There is just no way. I trust the work he's doing, yet Travis Knight can't make him lift, or lift heavy weights that is…which I feel is the one thing holding him back from NBA = muscle.

I'm sure he's strong, yet his body lacks serious muscle and I know my arms/chest/shoulders were WAY SMALLER to begin with, now twice the size. Again, one day in weight room per week, with push ups at night.

I realize strength and muscle can be inversely related on occasion, yet Kyle has been in weight room for 4 years now, at some point, no matter your build…you gain some definition or resemblance of muscle. He certainly isn't pushing the strength limits, so to speak. Kyle should at least be ripped as skinny as he is...

cjm720
06-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Kyle W could weight 115 pounds and I could care less as long as he continues to shoot over people at a high level.

cggonzaga
06-04-2015, 03:55 PM
That's not a knock on him, but a fact based on his body.

Ummmmmm no. That is indeed not fact. The weightlifting and working out he does is not intended to put on a great deal of muscle. It's meant to make him stronger in his core and legs. Kyle is considerably stronger in those areas since joining GU. I don't know this for certain but Kyle seems to have the body type that wouldn't matter how much he lifted he's never going to be "buff".

ProjectMKUltra5
06-04-2015, 03:56 PM
So if your not in the gym hitting your triceps and biceps you're not taking the weight room seriously? Don't forget traps. F*** leg day though, that doesn't help you look strong...

Wiltjer barely added any weight. (His Kentucky bio lists him at 239 pounds; his Gonzaga bio lists him at 240.) Today you can see a little more definition in his arms, but not much. “That was never the goal,” he says. “I wasn’t trying to bulk up. It was never about that. It was other stuff — getting quicker, getting stronger in the legs.” The changes were dramatic but difficult to spot. If you watch video of him now, his chest looks higher. His shoulders seem as if they’ve been pushed back. His knees rise more when he runs, and as he moves down the court, his torso remains upright. This isn’t the kind of late-night infomercial transformation that leaves people gawking at “before” and “after” photos. Wiltjer was trying to become a better basketball player, not a more impressive specimen.

DixieZag
06-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Ummmmmm no. That is indeed not fact. The weightlifting and working out he does is not intended to put on a great deal of muscle. It's meant to make him stronger in his core and legs. Kyle is considerably stronger in those areas since joining GU. I don't know this for certain but Kyle seems to have the body type that wouldn't matter how much he lifted he's never going to be "buff".

None of us can "know" and me less than others, but there is also a type of person who, no matter how many weights he lifts, if he's doing aerobic work, too - like playing BB, it's near impossible to put mass on. But, it is possible to get stronger without the mass.

Besides, with Wiltjer, from what I've read, the problems were just as much allowing him to heal and stop hurting himself playing, then teaching him to move more fluidly, yoga, footwork, balance, so that he was more assertive down low. It worked, he was. Hopefully he'll improve more.

seacatfan
06-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Ditto, if he can shoot and score like he does, I don't care how skinny he is. Also the part about some guys just can't gain weight/muscle mass. Shawn Bradley was like that back in the day. I remember reading about an extremely caloric intensive diet they had him on and it just didn't make much difference.

thespywhozaggedme
06-04-2015, 07:19 PM
This simply is not true. If you are strength training you will see changes in your body; in as little as 1 month, regardless of your aerobic activity. Again, I am an avid weightlifter, I have seen so many people,in the gym, who put in the work and effort to reshape their bodies. Kyle has no muscle definition in his arms, shoulders or chest, that's not a personal offense, as a few here have taken it, it is a fact, simply by looking at his body. It appears that cg would have us believe that Kyle is intentionally not working on his chest, arms and shoulders; to that I have no idea.
None of us can "know" and me less than others, but there is also a type of person who, no matter how many weights he lifts, if he's doing aerobic work, too - like playing BB, it's near impossible to put mass on. But, it is possible to get stronger without the mass.

Besides, with Wiltjer, from what I've read, the problems were just as much allowing him to heal and stop hurting himself playing, then teaching him to move more fluidly, yoga, footwork, balance, so that he was more assertive down low. It worked, he was. Hopefully he'll improve more.

seacatfan
06-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Steph Curry has some muscle tone, but still fairly wiry. Reggie Miller had arms like twigs his entire career. Just sayin'.

I used to spend a ton of time in gyms when I was younger. I knew a few guys with fairly big frames, barrel chested, just couldn't get any definition going no matter how much they worked out. No discernible pecks. It was weird.

ZigZagSoCal
06-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Heck, I'm just giddy to see these boys get back to GU and spend time as a family. Makes you feel thankful and wonder how many other universities are experiencing this. Thanks Zagdawg!

DixieZag
06-05-2015, 05:57 AM
This simply is not true. If you are strength training you will see changes in your body; in as little as 1 month, regardless of your aerobic activity. Again, I am an avid weightlifter, I have seen so many people,in the gym, who put in the work and effort to reshape their bodies. Kyle has no muscle definition in his arms, shoulders or chest, that's not a personal offense, as a few here have taken it, it is a fact, simply by looking at his body. It appears that cg would have us believe that Kyle is intentionally not working on his chest, arms and shoulders; to that I have no idea.

I was talking about putting mass on, not definition. But, I shouldn't wander into topics in which I know less than the average person, so, I'll bow out with saying that I think he is likely working very hard on a program they have him on, behind the scenes - else, why come here?

MileHighZag
06-05-2015, 06:05 AM
I'm almost positive the guy with a headband is not Kyle Witljer. It is one of David's friends. Unless @exclusivelee was there, I think the names are speculation. Why would Kyle be wearing a headband?

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2015, 06:06 AM
But that's my point, he has neither mass, nor definition; hence the body of a 17 year old. Some people just hate lifting weights; God knows I do sometimes and I'm an avid weightlifter. But like I said earlier, he's an amzing talent and gifted natural scorer, so whatever he's doing, or not doing sure isn't hurting.
I was talking about putting mass on, not definition. But, I shouldn't wander into topics in which I know less than the average person, so, I'll bow out with saying that I think he is likely working very hard on a program they have him on, behind the scenes - else, why come here?

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2015, 06:08 AM
I'm almost positive the guy with a headband is not Kyle Witljer. It is one of David's friends. Unless @exclusivelee was there, I think the names are speculation. Why would Kyle be wearing a headband?

To keep sweat out of his eyes?

MileHighZag
06-05-2015, 06:11 AM
To keep sweat out of his eyes?

It isn't Kyle. It is one of David's friends with longer hair. He wears a headband even when he isn't playing.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-05-2015, 06:12 AM

Lol look at post #5 above.

MileHighZag
06-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Lol look at post #5 above.

Like I said in #19, unless that person was there, I think it is speculation.

IowaSERE
06-05-2015, 08:05 AM
I would say that is KW unless Davids friend also has a pair of the red shoes that the players get from Nike.

TexasZagFan
06-05-2015, 08:14 AM
I don't get it with him.

Damn, thanks for ruining my day. It looks like a turtle I ran over on the way to work this morning. I can only take solace in the fact that if it hadn't been me, it would've been someone else...TX 170 is busy in the morning, no way a turtle could make it across three lanes of traffic.

By way of comparison, how's your 3-ball coming along? lol

seacatfan
06-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Add Kevin Durant to the list of stick figured bball players that seems to be doing okay for himself. And the aforementioned Curry's backcourt mate Klay Thompson isn't exactly burly, but they are one of the best shooting and most explosive scoring duos in NBA history. I can keep going all day...

TheGonzagaFactor
06-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Add Kevin Durant to the list of stick figured bball players that seems to be doing okay for himself. And the aforementioned Curry's backcourt mate Klay Thompson isn't exactly burly, but they are one of the best shooting and most explosive scoring duos in NBA history. I can keep going all day...

Not that I care about Wiltjer's muscle mass so long as he plays well, but could you name a "stick figured" NBA post player near the level of the players you mentioned, seeing as we are talking about Kyle here and not a PG/SG/SF? Guards tend to be skinny compared to bigs...

IowaSERE
06-05-2015, 09:25 AM
Manute Bol

seacatfan
06-05-2015, 09:41 AM
If Wiltjer ever makes it in the NBA, it's going to be because of his perimeter shooting, not his low post game. But...

Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol or both fairly lanky 4's that have thrived in the NBA for years. Both are bulkier than Wiltjer, but not exactly thick bodied.

seacatfan
06-05-2015, 09:42 AM
I don't agree that guards tend to be skinny compared to bigs. Some guards are built like trucks. Guards are shorter than bigs, that's a better generalization.

seacatfan
06-05-2015, 09:44 AM
LaMarcus Aldridge is fairly lanky. Undoubtedly one of the best 4's in the League currently.

Jstock12
06-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Not that I care about Wiltjer's muscle mass so long as he plays well, but could you name a "stick figured" NBA post player near the level of the players you mentioned, seeing as we are talking about Kyle here and not a PG/SG/SF? Guards tend to be skinny compared to bigs...

http://www.posternation.com/image/view/kevin-mchale-1983-action-718912

ProjectMKUltra5
06-05-2015, 10:07 AM
First, Kyle Wiljter isn't a stick figured player. He's listed at 240 (wouldn't suprise me if he's closer to 230, though) and at 6'10, that's good size for the PF. There are plenty of players who play that position who are much, much leaner then Kyle is. He's not big by any means but he isn't small either.

Right off the top of my head. Tim Duncan, Tristan Thompson, Pau Gasol, Ryan Anderson are all in the same ballpark as Kyle as far as size and "not looking strong." Gasol led the NBA in double doubles despite not having much mass or definition. Thompson had 15 boards last night and Timmy is a HoF, I doubt you'll be hearing anybody talk about those guys not being strong.

But trust me bro, Kyle isn't lifting cause his biceps aren't big bro.

seacatfan
06-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Good one Jstock.

Kevin Garnett had some impressive definition in his arms, but he was still what I would call fairly lanky throughout his career. Tim Duncan isn't exactly thick bodied. Marcus Camby was a stick figure coming out of college. He added some size as his career progressed though. Anthony Davis. A lot of these guys I've mentioned have fairly wide shoulders, but fairly thin torsos. Some of them would almost disappear if they turned sideways. And quite a few of them added some musculature after they got in the NBA compared to what they looked like in their late teens/early 20's.

Jstock12
06-05-2015, 11:43 AM
P.S. I'd say Wiltjer is a SF/PF tweener in NBA, and a stretch-PF in Europe.

SunDevilGolfZag
06-05-2015, 12:12 PM
George Gervin was a little on the skinny side. I guess some if the above posters wouldn't have thought much of his chances.

seacatfan
06-05-2015, 12:34 PM
George Gervin was a little on the skinny side. I guess some if the above posters wouldn't have thought much of his chances.

one thing he could do was finger roll...

ZagWhisperer
06-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Wiltjer does not seem to have any problem backing down the defender to get to his spot, lets call him "farm Strong."

SunDevilGolfZag
06-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Yeah, farm strong works--it allows him to accomplish the real object of the game to put the ball in the hoop quite efficiently. Works for me

exclusivelee
06-07-2015, 10:48 AM

It's Wiltjer. Take a gander at his twitter timeline for a photo of him wearing a white headband on the same day

B Wayne
06-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Yeah, farm strong works--it allows him to accomplish the real object of the game to put the ball in the hoop quite efficiently. Works for me

Yeah, way too much bragging from certain posters about themselves lifting weights, looking at themselves in the mirror (ew) and just guessing about Wiltjer. This whole notion of ripped/buffed is just part of the feel good and look good mantra of current society. Lots of great athletes are functional or farm strong without looking like what the commercials on tv tell us we should look like. Good grief.

B Wayne
06-07-2015, 02:19 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/players/usa/stockton.jpg
One of the strongest and toughest pound per pound in the NBA. Ask NBA players. And dedicated to the weight room. But terms and concepts like "muscle mass" "buff", and "muscle definition" are great for guys trying to impress themselves or others, but are over valued by some people when assessing basketball skill. Just google "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-07-2015, 03:01 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/players/usa/stockton.jpg
...........But terms and concepts like "muscle mass" "buff", and "muscle definition" are great for guys trying to impress themselves or others, but are over valued by some people when assessing basketball skill. Just google "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

My google search revealed Dwight Howard :-)

FuManShoes
06-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Not to make this about me, but I once threw a football over the mountains. Just wanted to point out that if an oaf like me can throw a football over the mountains, surely an all-America basketball player like Kyle Wiltjer could too - if only he committed to it. Seems his priorities are really misplaced.

B Wayne
06-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Not to make this about me, but I once threw a football over the mountains. Just wanted to point out that if an oaf like me can throw a football over the mountains, surely an all-America basketball player like Kyle Wiltjer could too - if only he committed to it. Seems his priorities are really misplaced.
Now that is funny!

hooter73
06-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Yeah, way too much bragging from certain posters about themselves lifting weights, looking at themselves in the mirror (ew) and just guessing about Wiltjer. This whole notion of ripped/buffed is just part of the feel good and look good mantra of current society. Lots of great athletes are functional or farm strong without looking like what the commercials on tv tell us we should look like. Good grief.

Spoken like someone who is not in shape themself :jk:

Its very true that a certain look is not indicative of physical ability BUT when you are talking pro athletes, the look is usually the norm. Players like Kyle are the exception.

B Wayne
06-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Spoken like someone who is not in shape themself :jk:

Its very true that a certain look is not indicative of physical ability BUT when you are talking pro athletes, the look is usually the norm. Players like Kyle are the exception.

I'm fine. I have regularly exercised my entire life. Just because someone doesn't brag about themselves doesn't mean they aren't adept in that field. More and more people are bragging about their fitness and shaming others about their body shape or fitness. See all the 26.2 stickers etc. If a person brags about income, wealth, education, religiousness or intelligence , he is pretentious. But bragging about fitness and body shape is seen as acceptable by some, but is no less pretentious. It's just bragging or superiority in another form.

And terms like muscle mass and ripped is just a lazy and over-simplified analysis of athleticism. Ask players that have played at a high level.

willandi
06-08-2015, 04:43 PM
I don't normally watch the NBA unless there are Zags playing. I was stuck in a motel last night and, with nothing else on, did watch the game. Curry will never be a good NBA player. His body is too much like Wiltjer's.

bartruff1
06-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Yes, he needs to bulk up like a NFL Lineman or a Major League Pitcher...

This thread needs more tacos..

sage
06-08-2015, 05:01 PM
I don't normally watch the NBA unless there are Zags playing. I was stuck in a motel last night and, with nothing else on, did watch the game. Curry will never be a good NBA player. His body is too much like Wiltjer's.

Right..... the MVP will never be a good NBA player............................................

willandi
06-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Right..... the MVP will never be a good NBA player............................................

Twas a sarcastic barb aimed at those who believe that Wiltjers slight stature will prevent his making it in the NBA. Sorry you missed it.

OZZY
06-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Twas a sarcastic barb aimed at those who believe that Wiltjers slight stature will prevent his making it in the NBA. Sorry you missed it.

LOL, some posters just haven't been around long enough to get this board's sense of humour.......................

:)

DixieZag
06-08-2015, 05:38 PM
LOL, some posters just haven't been around long enough to get this board's sense of humour.......................

:)

Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that there's no way Curry will make it in the NBA, MVP or not, not with that body. He could maybe be a specialist, get called in to score 40 a night or something, but never a dependable player.

willandi
06-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that there's no way Curry will make it in the NBA, MVP or not, not with that body. He could maybe be a specialist, get called in to score 40 a night or something, but never a dependable player.

+1

zag67
06-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Delly will never make it either.

thespywhozaggedme
06-08-2015, 08:55 PM
I looked at all three pages in this thread to find one poster that said that. Did I miss it?

sittingon50
06-08-2015, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=FuManShoes;1122013]Not to make this about me, but I once threw a football over the mountains. Just wanted to point out that if an oaf like me can throw a football over the mountains, surely an all-America basketball player like Kyle Wiltjer could too - if only he committed to it. Seems his priorities are really misplaced.[/QUOTE

I once won a game of Connect 4 in 3 moves.

My workout regimen is sporadic.

Alum08
06-09-2015, 08:22 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/teamsites/images/legacy/pistons/prince_daye_400_100121.jpg

Here, are both sides to the "too-skinny" argument.

On one hand you have a 4x all-NBA defensive player and the other the all-time underachieving Zag.

What this says to me is you can't judge a book by its cover.

jazzdelmar
06-09-2015, 09:14 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/teamsites/images/legacy/pistons/prince_daye_400_100121.jpg

Here, are both sides to the "too-skinny" argument.

On one hand you have a 4x all-NBA defensive player and the other the all-time underachieving Zag.

What this says to me is you can't judge a book by its cover.

More to the point, you can't judge a player's motor and willingness to work.

Mantua
06-09-2015, 07:49 PM
When I think of short skinny improbable players I think of A.I.

DixieZag
06-09-2015, 08:32 PM
When I think of short skinny improbable players I think of A.I.

Yeah, but he doesn't apply because he really wasn't into going to practice, summer or season - can't expect him to hit a weight room, either.

Sorry, A.I. reference necessitates some sort of reference to "talkin' about practice."

bballguy
06-10-2015, 06:39 AM
Of the 60+ posts on this thread that was started to talk about who is in town working out, 45 or so are talking about body mass and definition. Talk about a hi-jacked thread!

cjm720
06-10-2015, 06:45 AM
More to the point, you can't judge a player's motor and willingness to work.

Sure you can...

bballguy
06-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Tweet from Fran Fraschilla

"I'm hearing ridiculously good stuff about Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis this summer. Might even play some small forward for Zags this year."

willandi
06-10-2015, 06:51 AM
I am sorry, but when I read tweets, I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ba1OKY7Xc&list=RDk5ba1OKY7Xc#t=0

jazzdelmar
06-10-2015, 07:12 AM
Tweet from Fran Fraschilla

"I'm hearing ridiculously good stuff about Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis this summer. Might even play some small forward for Zags this year."

WHOAAAA.....details, details Franny. Dixie, ur wish may come true and our SF issue may be disappeared. I say again, he will be a Wooden candidate as a junior, if not sooner.

zagsfanforlife
06-10-2015, 09:55 AM
WHOAAAA.....details, details Franny. Dixie, ur wish may come true and our SF issue may be disappeared. I say again, he will be a Wooden candidate as a junior, if not sooner.

I thought possibly wiltjer at the 3 despite lack of foot speed. Foot speed however, i dont think would be a huge issue with Domantis. He has it. Probably on the level a typical 3 has in college basketball. What would surprise me is if he has developed a consistent enough outside shot, and progressed his ball handling enough to play small forward. You also would have to worry about Domantis getting in foul trouble, as he is prone to be and would be more prone to be when guarding faster guys.

Look, I dont take this tweet to mean that DS will start at the 3 this year. I personally dont think he will start. He will be the best 6th man in the country. What I do know is Few will be trying every possible thing to get Domas as much PT as possible. Getting creative by experimenting him at the 3 would be a way to get more minutes.

Imagine the WCC schools facing a lineup of 6'11, 6'10 and 7'1 on the front line.

DixieZag
06-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Yes, 'cause I'm the only one who....

Would the author of this post care to weigh in on what he believes in this matter?

Actually, don't. We can avail ourselves of the other 20 threads addressing the issue - or the 20 yet to come between now and October.

I do wonder if that tweet is meant to mean that he is spending his summer working on his shot? Anyone?

IowaSERE
06-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Where is the rule that says if you play the 3 on defense, that you also have to play the 3 on offense? DS has the foot speed to play 3 on D, but no range on his jumper. KW has all the range in the world but can't guard a 3.

ZAGGED OUT
06-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Where is the rule that says if you play the 3 on defense, that you also have to play the 3 on offense? DS has the foot speed to play 3 on D, but no range on his jumper. KW has all the range in the world but can't guard a 3.

It's an unwritten rule. It's incredibly hard to switch assignments when running back in transition, hence why you just stick to guarding who is guarding you. Also, based on what we saw last year (cause none of us know what Domas has improved), I don't believe Domas had the footspeed to guard the 3, he had a lot of ill-advised fouls last year. Just my opinion

cjm720
06-10-2015, 12:20 PM
I have a feeling Coach will keep Sabonis close to the basket...something about ~70% field goal percentage!

3 or 4, we will no doubt see some creative lineups, but neither Wiltj nor Sabonis will ever be a true wing in college or the pros.

zag67
06-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Iowa, good comments. As I was reading that is what I was thinking. Also maybe some zone against some teams.

Zagdawg
06-10-2015, 01:42 PM
It will be nice to have Edwards available to complement the three.

ProjectMKUltra5
06-10-2015, 01:46 PM
It's an unwritten rule. It's incredibly hard to switch assignments when running back in transition, hence why you just stick to guarding who is guarding you. Also, based on what we saw last year (cause none of us know what Domas has improved), I don't believe Domas had the footspeed to guard the 3, he had a lot of ill-advised fouls last year. Just my opinion

Not really, cross matching happens all the time. When we ran into Duke Winslow was playing the 4 while Matt Jones was at the 3 spreading the floor. Few cross matched putting Wesley on Winslow and Wiljter on Jones.

IowaSERE
06-10-2015, 01:48 PM
It will be nice to have Edwards available to complement the three.

Now we're trying to get Edwards to play the 3?

ZAGGED OUT
06-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Not really, cross matching happens all the time. When we ran into Duke Winslow was playing the 4 while Matt Jones was at the 3 spreading the floor. Few cross matched putting Wesley on Winslow and Wiljter on Jones.

Call it a guideline more than a rule. Its not preferred in most cases.

seacatfan
06-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Now we're trying to get Edwards to play the 3?

Yeah, just imagine the matchup problems he would create on offense...

Why not, we try to turn everybody into a 3.

seacatfan
06-10-2015, 02:28 PM
From what I saw, Sabonis didn't have the foot speed to guard mobile 4's last year, there's no chance he could guard a 3. Not really any better on perimeter D than Wiltjer, don't know why anyone thinks otherwise. On offense...well he's shown no shooting range thus far, and is the worst passer among the three primary bigs. So I don't see him remotely as a 3 on offense either. Please, let's not even get started on this one.

sittingon50
06-10-2015, 02:45 PM
too late.......................