PDA

View Full Version : Dakich on Few on Cowherd

jazzdelmar
06-02-2015, 04:09 AM
Cowherd: I'm going to give you a few more because this was a real argument with our staff today about Indiana. The state produces great players, has great facilities, it's a legacy program in a great conference. I think the Hoosier gig is a great gig... How about Gonzaga?

Dakich: "Gonzaga is a great job and I'll tell you why. A couple of things: No. 1, and Mark Few told me this when he turned down the Indiana job. I asked Few, 'Did you ever imagine you'd turn down $1.5 million to coach at Indiana.' He said, 'Dan, we can win more than Indiana because of our conference, we have a better setup in terms of facilities.' They have chefs, they have private planes, they win every game at home without question. They can play anybody, anytime, anywhere. I would put Gonzaga with what they've done with that program, into the great job category in college basketball."

Wait, Mark Few turned down the Indiana job?

Well, at least if it's to stay at another "great job"...

RenoZag
06-02-2015, 04:20 AM
I thought he was in the mix before Crean was hired. . .

bartruff1
06-02-2015, 05:10 AM
At least he was in here....I like Dakich....he is a motor mouth (sometimes) but he certainly has opinions and he is outspoken...

Bogozags
06-02-2015, 05:17 AM
At least he was in here....I like Dakich....he is a motor mouth (sometimes) but he certainly has opinions and he is outspoken...

Isn't Dakich an IU grad? Didn't he play under RMK?

jazzdelmar
06-02-2015, 05:39 AM
Isn't Dakich an IU grad? Didn't he play under RMK?

Yes, yes, and a failed coach.......Gottlieb sans the humor.

CDC84
06-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Dakich was the definition of a "lame duck coach." He was the guy who took over for Kelvin Sampson after he was let loose in the middle of the 2008 season.

Yep. When people say "turned down," he may have turned down "feelers" from a search firm.

FWIW = IU received a $40 million dollar gift back in 2013 to renovate their basketball facilities. Assembly Hall is undergoing renovations right now.

DixieZag
06-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Assembly Hall is undergoing renovations right now.

It never seemed very fan friendly, or set-up with basketball sightlines in mind. It almost seems like they built it for general assemblies or something stupid.

LongIslandZagFan
06-02-2015, 07:59 AM
It never seemed very fan friendly, or set-up with basketball sightlines in mind. It almost seems like they built it for general assemblies or something stupid.

I am going to assume you meant to do that Dixie. :D

basketballzag
06-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Bobby Knight blew up the Indiana program and it won't recover until he passes away. Knight's firing (love him or hate him) was 3rd rate and the animosity between its basketball alumni and the university has suffered tremendously because of the way they treated him because his players & their connections have all effectively boycotted IU in support of Knight. IU is now doing everything they can to try and make up for the hard feelings but Knight has a long memory that was will be etched into his grave.

cjm720
06-02-2015, 08:43 AM
Bobby Knight blew up the Indiana program and it won't recover until he passes away. Knight's firing (love him or hate him) was 3rd rate and the animosity between its basketball alumni and the university has suffered tremendously because of the way they treated him because his players & their connections have all effectively boycotted IU in support of Knight. IU is now doing everything they can to try and make up for the hard feelings but Knight has a long memory that was will be etched into his grave.

I just assumed he was one of the best coaches in the game and the legacy was tough to replace. I hadn't heard of any boycotts, very interesting if true.

Robzagnut
06-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Cowherd: I'm going to give you a few more because this was a real argument with our staff today about Indiana. The state produces great players, has great facilities, it's a legacy program in a great conference. I think the Hoosier gig is a great gig... How about Gonzaga?

Dakich: "Gonzaga is a great job and I'll tell you why. A couple of things: No. 1, and Mark Few told me this when he turned down the Indiana job. I asked Few, 'Did you ever imagine you'd turn down $1.5 million to coach at Indiana.' He said, 'Dan, we can win more than Indiana because of our conference, we have a better setup in terms of facilities.' They have chefs, they have private planes, they win every game at home without question. They can play anybody, anytime, anywhere. I would put Gonzaga with what they've done with that program, into the great job category in college basketball."

Well, at least if it's to stay at another "great job"...

The comment above was made by Dakich yesterday on the Cowherd show and I listened to the whole segment while driving to work. Cowheard and Dakich were talking about elite college football and basketball programs. Cowherd said that Ohio St, Michigan, USC, Alabama, etc were elite football programs and that Duke, UNC, UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, etc. were elite basketball programs. Then he asked Dakich about Uconn and Syracuse basketball. Dakich said, "Uconn was not. And that they will suffer when Kevin Ollie leaves." But that Syracuse was elite and had the stadium, program, facilities, etc to stay elite once Boeheim left.

Then Cowherd said he wanted Dakich's opinion on 3 other programs. UCLA football? "Absolutely not"

Gonzaga basketball? "Yes!" That is when they started talking about Few turning down the Indiana job. Then Dakich stated that Gonzaga was more in the elite box than outside it.

Oklahoma State? "No, when you're not even the #1 program in your state you're not elite."

So, it was nice to hear on ESPN in front of a national audience that there are 'experts' in the country that think the GU basketball program is elite and get mentioned in the same conversation as Duke, Arizona and North Carolina. Some might not like Dakich, but he's in GU's corner. Then I got to work early, got on this forum and read that JWIII had committed to GU and thought, "This day keeps getting better and better!"

CDC84
06-02-2015, 09:09 AM

Regardless of what one thinks of Red Sweater, it's hard for IU to recover when incidents like this keep happening:

http://www.sportsgrid.com/basketball-3/rival-fans-chant-tom-crean-sucks-at-his-sons-prep-playoff-game/

DixieZag
06-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Yes. About once a year I give myself an inner-chuckle with my hammer blunt wit.

DixieZag
06-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Regardless of what one thinks of Red Sweater, it's hard for IU to recover when incidents like this keep happening:

http://www.sportsgrid.com/basketball-3/rival-fans-chant-tom-crean-sucks-at-his-sons-prep-playoff-game/

I really don't know what to think of him - so many factors.

But, I think the two most telling are:
1. His players are strongly loyal to him.
2. I learn more BB watching 10 minutes of one of his ESPN games (even when he prepares so little he doesn't know the name of the player) than a season's worth of many others. He will pick one theme for a game, and you will get a sliver of how much he knows about that "theme" and that's one narrow part.

The rest, I guess is for other people to figure out. He did embarrass himself on all too many occasions.