PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Williams III on 700 ESPN at 1:30

bomberooski
06-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Jonathan Williams III on with Dickau and Slim at 1:30 on 700 ESPN in Spokane.

Kiddwell
06-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Anyone?

:]

JPtheBeasta
06-01-2015, 09:06 PM
People living out of town* can subscribe to the Dickau and Slim podcast.

*ETA: And people living in town, too, I suppose :) I got my local GU media fix more from Dickau and Slim than the Mark Few Show last year. It's not necessarily better, just different. And it automatically downloads to the smartphone...

They asked him what they should call him, and he said that everyone calls him J3.

Why did you choose GU over the others?
A: When I arrived on campus they were organized and had plan that I was going to follow from the minute I stepped on campus. I know that they are good developing their guys and I want to get better. Guys here playing my position have been very successful over the last several years

What do you bring to the table?
J3: I'm a versatile 4-man. I can shoot the 3. I can drive to the hoop. I can post up. I can block shots, rebound, um... I can do kind of everything you need me to do, I can do it.

What are some things you will be focusing on in your year off?
J3: Just getting stronger. Getting mentally stronger. Working on my shot. Getting better finishing around the rim. Increase my field goal percentage. Just try to work on the full package and become a great player.

Did GU's success with transfers factor into your decision?
J3: When I came to campus they showed me a lot of players who redshirted for a year, and I saw how the progressed and became great players in their year off. I feel Nigel and I can both do that as well, become great players. We also get to work out together (with Goss) so I know his ways and I know his ways, so that will be great as well.

What position do you feel more comfortable playing?
J3: I feel more comfortable playing the four because my feet are kind of big and kind of too slow to guard a 3 man right now. So that's one of the other things I will work on at Gonzaga.

Did you get a chance to meet with Travis Knight the strength coach?
J3: Yes sir, I did. He is very intelligent. He is overall a great guy. I feel like he'll make me stronger in the off-season.

How is you right knee at this point (had knee issues last year)
J3: It's great. No problems (Everything healed like it's supposed to?) Yes, sir, it is.

What are some things you enjoy doing?
J3: Just hanging out with the family, watching movies. We're going bowling right now...(Last movie you saw in the theater?) I just saw San Andreas. That was a great movie.

They described him as having a low-key vibe, and I agree with that. He also seemed very respectful and humble. They (Dickau and Slim) mention that both transfers mentioned how organized the recruiting was during their visits.

My two cents...It really does seem that GU has a formula of late that is getting noticed by the players:
-Redshirt development (Whatever Knight gets paid, he deserves it)
-Success with transfers
-General success of GU big men
-Organized recruiting
-Clear plan for the player's future with the team

GU also seems to be consistently recruiting solid, down to earth, hungry guys. J3, amid all of the talk about himself, made the point that he is looking forward to working out, and developing chemistry, with Goss.

ZagNative
06-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Super report, JP! Thanks!

thespywhozaggedme
06-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Thanks for doing that; much appreciated for us out of towners.

*ETA: And people living in town, too, I suppose :) I got my local GU media fix more from Dickau and Slim than the Mark Few Show last year. It's not necessarily better, just different. And it automatically downloads to the smartphone...

They asked him what they should call him, and he said that everyone calls him J3.

A: When I arrived on campus they were organized and had plan that I was going to follow from the minute I stepped on campus. I know that they are good developing their guys and I want to get better. Guys here playing my position have been very successful over the last several years

J3: I'm a versatile 4-man. I can shoot the 3. I can drive to the hoop. I can post up. I can block shots, rebound, um... I can do kind of everything you need me to do, I can do it.

J3: Just getting stronger. Getting mentally stronger. Working on my shot. Getting better finishing around the rim. Increase my field goal percentage. Just try to work on the full package and become a great player.

J3: When I came to campus they showed me a lot of players who redshirted for a year, and I saw how the progressed and became great players in their year off. I feel Nigel and I can both do that as well, become great players. We also get to work out together (with Goss) so I know his ways and I know his ways, so that will be great as well.

J3: I feel more comfortable playing the four because my feet are kind of big and kind of too slow to guard a 3 man right now. So that's one of the other things I will work on at Gonzaga.

J3: Yes sir, I did. He is very intelligent. He is overall a great guy. I feel like he'll make me stronger in the off-season.

J3: It's great. No problems (Everything healed like it's supposed to?) Yes, sir, it is.

J3: Just hanging out with the family, watching movies. We're going bowling right now...(Last movie you saw in the theater?) I just saw San Andreas. That was a great movie.

They described him as having a low-key vibe, and I agree with that. He also seemed very respectful and humble. They (Dickau and Slim) mention that both transfers mentioned how organized the recruiting was during their visits.

My two cents...It really does seem that GU has a formula of late that is getting noticed by the players:
-Success with transfers
-Organized recruiting

GU also seems to be consistently recruiting solid, down to earth, hungry guys. J3, amid all of the talk about himself, made the point that he is looking forward to working out, and developing chemistry, with Goss.

sittingon50
06-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks JP.

gonzagafan62
06-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks JP

webspinnre
06-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Great notes, JP. I love the comments that he clearly sees himself as a versatile 4, that he's looking forward to working to improve, and I hadn't really thought of the idea of he and NWG working together for a whole year, but that sounds fantastic for future chemistry.

MDABE80
06-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Sounds like a pretty good kid. Thank you JP!

jazzdelmar
06-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Kid has all the right moves.....

bartruff1
06-02-2015, 06:17 AM
It certainly doesn't hurt that the players want to play in the NCAA Tourney...and Gonzaga is practically a slam dunk to go....

Reborn
06-02-2015, 06:55 AM
thanks JP. This is the best "read" that I've seen so far. You did a great job of putting it all together. It's nice to know what to call him, J3. Cool name. I am so anxious to see these new guys play. With a year to get better and learn the GU way, I believe they will be great players. I'll be anxious to see how he compares to Elias Harris. They're about the same size. He strikes me as a hard worker, and if that's true he'll become pretty darn successful, imo.

Zagsker
06-02-2015, 07:47 AM
It's nice to know what to call him

Monday, Tuesday and Friday I have people refer to me by using a specific pattern of blinks

Sunday, I go by J-Swizzle-Mortimer-Randolph-buckets

Wednesday and Thursday you address me by jumping up and down for 30 seconds

Saturday, you address me as "Grillin' Mowin' J Whatever the hell else my wife needs me to do 3"

ZagsGoZags
06-02-2015, 08:04 AM
that took time and energy JP and it is much appreciated
You've got the most zag initials of anybody - 3 JP's
Jeremy Pargo
JP Batista
Josh Perkins

JPtheBeasta
06-02-2015, 08:47 AM
I
that took time and energy JP and it is much appreciated
You've got the most zag initials of anybody - 3 JP's
Jeremy Pargo
JP Batista
Josh Perkins

My 2 good friends that I used to watch all the games with when I lived in Spokane affectionately called Batista "The Beasta." He's one of of my favorite all-time Zags.

If Perkins is as good as I think he is, that's a pretty good list of Zags :)

seacatfan
06-02-2015, 11:41 AM
So...will this end fan speculation about him playing the 3? Probably not, such a proud tradition among GU fandom.

sittingon50
06-02-2015, 12:13 PM
So...will this end fan speculation about him playing the 3? Probably not, such a proud tradition among GU fandom.

Sounds like a "post-up 2" to me! Matt Bouldin made a few buckets that way!

:p

HRZag
06-02-2015, 02:52 PM
JP, thanks for the tip about the podcast. I had no idea. Just subscribed. Thanks so much. Dan Dickau is awesome.

BobZag
06-02-2015, 04:58 PM

-Success with transfers
-Organized recruiting

Swish! Thanks, guy.

IowaSERE
06-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Sounds like a 3 to me!

JPtheBeasta
06-03-2015, 09:18 AM
JP, thanks for the tip about the podcast. I had no idea. Just subscribed. Thanks so much. Dan Dickau is awesome.

Of course :] I know I'm officially old because I have taken to primarily listening to podcasts in the car instead of the radio.

JPtheBeasta
06-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a "post-up 2" to me! Matt Bouldin made a few buckets that way!

:p

I'm still disappointed that we never saw the Wil Foster at PG experiment that someone suggested here back in the day.

Zagdawg
06-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Zagaholic ‏@zagaholic 18m18 minutes ago

Zagaholic retweeted Johnathan Williams
Former Mizzou Star and #Zag transfer @Iam_J3 heading to Spokane just in time for the 100* heat & #Hoopfest!

Johnathan Williams
‏@Iam_J3 Wheels up off to Spokane ✈️✈️✈️

Bogozags
06-22-2015, 04:23 PM
JP THANKS for taking the time to provide this great interview - especially for those of us not in the broadcast area!

GrizZAG
06-22-2015, 08:33 PM
I

My 2 good friends that I used to watch all the games with when I lived in Spokane affectionately called Batista "The Beasta." He's one of of my favorite all-time Zags.

If Perkins is as good as I think he is, that's a pretty good list of Zags :)

Mine too. I got to meet him once at the steam plant. A real gentleman.

MDABE80
06-22-2015, 08:54 PM
This kid chose us for all the right reasons. he'll be a killer player and person. I just wish Domas and collins would be with us for two years. But the staff picked a very nice kid with great skills.. and a good head on his shoulders.

I have no doubt the guards will hold up their ends. It's an exciting future for us Zags. Little by little we're headed for the Final Four. Tradition matters.. We're developing that...........moreso in the past few years. That damned Wichita State game hurt ...they took our pathway to the FF. I'm over it. The climb to the top continues but I have a feeling we're geting near where we want to be.

Mr Vulture
06-22-2015, 09:27 PM
I really think Sabonis is a three year player as the entire reason for coming to the states was the degree. They have money and he could have gotten paid overseas already. There is very little chance that Collins is a one and done. He won't even arrive until after this season if he holds true...which I expect he does.

This kid chose us for all the right reasons. he'll be a killer player and person. I just wish Domas and collins would be with us for two years. But the staff picked a very nice kid with great skills.. and a good head on his shoulders.

I have no doubt the guards will hold up their ends. It's an exciting future for us Zags. Little by little we're headed for the Final Four. Tradition matters.. We're developing that...........moreso in the past few years. That damned Wichita State game hurt ...they took our pathway to the FF. I'm over it. The climb to the top continues but I have a feeling we're geting near where we want to be.

Zagdawg
06-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Tend to agree--my guess---its been mentioned before--he does not need the money -- he is here for the experience----Sabonis is going to see the benefit of playing with talented players like NWG, JW3 and Collins and stick around one more year to see how far he can go in the dance.

Zagger
06-23-2015, 06:55 AM
Tend to agree--my guess---its been mentioned before--he does not need the money -- he is here for the experience----Sabonis is going to see the benefit of playing with talented players like NWG, JW3 and Collins and stick around one more year to see how far he can go in the dance.

Me three. There really is no reason for Dontmiss to leave GU before a degree. Sabonis is already on national college player radar and on an excellent team / in an excellent program / with quality pals, etc, etc. Might as well make a splash in college ball before moving on where ever he chooses. It's a win-win deal for Sabonis as I see it - great FULL college experience then make a pro basketball decision. Dontmiss is here for at least 3 years for great college BB + a degree. I sure as heck hope GU keeps attracting that type of player - ones who want to best prepare themselves for the future whether it be BB or .... ????

jazzdelmar
06-23-2015, 07:17 AM
I sure as heck hope GU keeps attracting that type of player - ones who want to best prepare themselves for the future whether it be BB or .... ????

Be nice but DS is a generational player for a program like GU......

DixieZag
06-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Be nice but DS is a generational player for a program like GU......

Maybe.

Maybe not. Right now, it's a positive feedback loop. The quality of the recruiting has jumped to another level in 4 years. If NWG, Perkins, Sabonis, et al can keep this program right at E8 to FF expectations, it might well just feed on itself.

DukeSilver
06-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Lest this thread careen toooo far off-topic, let's remind ourselves that the commitment of JW3 has put the Zags in a position such that, even if Sabonis should choose to leave after 2 years (which is obviously a possibility), we'll still be set at PF with JW3 and Collins both set to make big-time contributions at the position.

jazzdelmar
06-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Maybe.

Maybe not. Right now, it's a positive feedback loop. The quality of the recruiting has jumped to another level in 4 years. If NWG, Perkins, Sabonis, et al can keep this program right at E8 to FF expectations, it might well just feed on itself.

Agree that Few, et al, have multiple level jumped with respect to recruiting. What I'm saying is that DS is the kind of surpassing talent that comes along every 15-20 years or so at a program like GU. I would not put those other names in that category, perhaps Collins, maybe. Sure the blue bloods do, they get multiple DSs each year, but to imply that GU has jumped to their level is, well, summertime talk. All due respect, Dix.

Larryzag
06-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Jazz, I didn't get the idea Dixie was saying we were at the blueblood level yet. Just that GU has taken a noticeable leap in recruiting and transfers. I think because of Kelly's dramatic development and now Wiltjer, players are noticing. And I agree if we stay in the hunt for E8s and FFs we could take another leap soon.

jazzdelmar
06-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Jazz, I didn't get the idea Dixie was saying we were at the blueblood level yet. Just that GU has taken a noticeable leap in recruiting and transfers. I think because of Kelly's dramatic development and now Wiltjer, players are noticing. And I agree if we stay in the hunt for E8s and FFs we could take another leap soon.

Agree 100%.

DixieZag
06-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Agree that Few, et al, have multiple level jumped with respect to recruiting. What I'm saying is that DS is the kind of surpassing talent that comes along every 15-20 years or so at a program like GU. I would not put those other names in that category, perhaps Collins, maybe. Sure the blue bloods do, they get multiple DSs each year, but to imply that GU has jumped to their level is, well, summertime talk. All due respect, Dix.

It has to be summer b/c you're being so positive, one has to think it might be sugar-giddiness from too many slurpees. :)

Larry interpreted my post correctly.

I'm not saying we're with Duke/Kentucky/Michigan State - at least in terms of recruiting, out of high school in particular.

One might argue that we've become a blue-blood transfer landing zone. Two McD all Americans in 4 years?

We'll never be Kentucky. And, I was perfectly content to be amazed at making the tourney every year. The level they're jumping to now is really exciting.

Some hard work done down in the Athletic Department.

Coach Crazy
06-23-2015, 04:45 PM
Lest this thread careen toooo far off-topic, let's remind ourselves that the commitment of JW3 has put the Zags in a position such that, even if Sabonis should choose to leave after 2 years (which is obviously a possibility), we'll still be set at PF with JW3 and Collins both set to make big-time contributions at the position.

And that's if he doesn't become the complete player he (J3) wants to be. I still don't think people get how big of a deal getting J3 could end up becoming. This kid understands what he is right now, where he wants to be, and is willing to submit to the process that will get him there. Mind you, a kid that was an ESPN 100.

If he reaches the goal he has set, you could play him next to Sabonis or Collins *with* Edwards on the floor. We may be seeing those years of critical mass, for the program. There is so much exponential growth right now.