PDA

View Full Version : Any news on the development of Ryan Edwards?

Alum08
05-31-2015, 08:14 AM
I think Edwards will be the keystone in 2016-17 and 2017-18. Has anyone been watching him to see if he's markedly improved from his freshman year?

I'd also love to see him get some minutes this year and prove his stuff. If Karno gets in foul trouble I'd imagine he'd be a great fill-in if we plan on focusing on the 3 big rotation in practice.

Baseline
05-31-2015, 11:45 AM
You can't give a kid like Edwards token minutes in his Sophomore year and not risk losing him. Few has mad some good comments on Edwards, he will be in the rotation, count on it.

JAGzag
05-31-2015, 12:27 PM
You can't give a kid like Edwards token minutes in his Sophomore year and not risk losing him. Few has mad some good comments on Edwards, he will be in the rotation, count on it.

Dead on, with the talent looming in 16-17, Edwards needs to feel a welcomed member of the team. If not that's when he might start looking around.

raise the zag
05-31-2015, 12:28 PM
not much of a "weightroom warrior", yet features the best hands on the team.

Spot minutes and perfect compliment to relieve Karnowski.

ZagsObserver
05-31-2015, 01:51 PM
He'll receive more minutes than Nunez did but fewer than Dranginis received last year. He'll receive a larger share his Junior year.

Unless you are a stud coming out of high school you should never expect to receive significant minutes on a top team until you are an upperclassman.

Excited to see his development and play!

DADoZAG
05-31-2015, 04:42 PM

If the emphasis is true, disappointing. Not terribly, but disappointing. And surprising as well.

His freshman year, he showed a bit of determination on the defensive end that demonstrated some real heart.

Edwards seems to have a balanced star (head, hands and feet), but needs the heart to make the star shine it's brightest.

And shine it could, brighter than PK, imo, who is poised to have a fabulous senior year.

Edwards has better hands, better feet. If PK is 7'1, Ryan is 7'3 and is better at taking charity when given.

16-17, specially if that freshman joins the roster, will be special.

But first, there's 15-16 to enjoy.

Go ZAGS!

ETA: Looks like perhaps the "freshman" intended in my post is another year off.

Bogozags
06-01-2015, 04:36 AM
He'll receive more minutes than Nunez did but fewer than Dranginis received last year. He'll receive a larger share his Junior year.

Unless you are a stud coming out of high school you should never expect to receive significant minutes on a top team until you are an upperclassman.

Excited to see his development and play!

If I'm not mistaken, the up coming season will be his third year in the program. Edwards will be a very good substitute for PK and SD. I will also state from observing him in his freshman season, that he will be very skilled on both ends of the court. In fact, he will be able to play facing the basket AND also with his back to the basket as does PK. It will be interesting to see how well his defence will be compared to Rob after his RS year. This will determine just how effective he will be and how much playing time he will see. Rob didn't become a solid player on defence until his fourth year in the program.

It will take a supreme effort for Edwards to have an impact this season BUT believe he is capable and IMO we will be surprised by his play.

GrizZAG
06-01-2015, 05:13 AM
Surprising there hasn't been more discussion pertaining to RE. This could be the diamond in the rough that sparkles brightly perhaps even this year. I am hopeful being a native Montanan that wishes we had more stars come from that state. I will really be pulling for Ryan. He seems like such a great young man with class.

From the little we got to see over a year ago my concern for him is he is somewhat timid. Now that might be that he rightfully knows he needs to learn the system and not be a liability as a freshman. That's all respectable, but the question is, can he turn it on and be a warrior that fights hard for every ball, goes to the rack with authority when opportunity is there and have adequate conditioning to sustain it? I am hopeful he can muster all of the above. GO RYAN Edwards! Who said it? "You can't teach 7""

GrizZAG
06-01-2015, 05:24 AM
I might be getting ahead of myself here regarding Edwards, but as we have seen with Sabonis and early PK, the WCC refs are really hard on the big guys. The tolerance level for using their size and body is very low it seems thus we see foul issues especially in the rookie years.
I think the bigs that assert themselves with the effort it takes to show they are the real deal just have to learn to deal with the ref issue. Both PK and Sabonis improved in that area somehow as difficult as it has been for them.
I look for Ryan to have the same issues if he turns it on. I love Sabonis fire and his improved evolution in this area. Seems it is a process to adjust.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-01-2015, 06:37 AM
Surprising there hasn't been more discussion pertaining to RE. This could be the diamond in the rough that sparkles brightly perhaps even this year. I am hopeful being a native Montanan that wishes we had more stars come from that state. I will really be pulling for Ryan. He seems like such a great young man with class.

From the little we got to see over a year ago my concern for him is he is somewhat timid. Now that might be that he rightfully knows he needs to learn the system and not be a liability as a freshman. That's all respectable, but the question is, can he turn it on and be a warrior that fights hard for every ball, goes to the rack with authority when opportunity is there and have adequate conditioning to sustain it? I am hopeful he can muster all of the above. GO RYAN Edwards! Who said it? "You can't teach 7""

Hopefully banging with PK and Sabonis the past year has upped his intensity level, if in fact he is prone to being too passive/timid on the court. I don't know what better "Intensifier" there could be then Sabonis going hard at you in practice....if you don't match his intensity he'll dominate you.

OT: My new favorite nickname for Sabonis: The Intensifier

GrizZAG
06-01-2015, 06:40 AM
OT: My new favorite nickname for Sabonis: The Intensifier[/QUOTE]

Ha, no joke :clap:

GlacierZag
06-01-2015, 07:17 AM

You do not know what you are talking about. He is more than onboard with all of Travis' program and his body shows significant improvement.

As for minutes, as the 4th big it will be "spot" minutes next season as opposed to a regular slot in the rotation.

willandi
06-01-2015, 09:38 AM
I might be getting ahead of myself here regarding Edwards, but as we have seen with Sabonis and early PK, the WCC refs are really hard on the big guys. The tolerance level for using their size and body is very low it seems thus we see foul issues especially in the rookie years.
I think the bigs that assert themselves with the effort it takes to show they are the real deal just have to learn to deal with the ref issue. Both PK and Sabonis improved in that area somehow as difficult as it has been for them.
I look for Ryan to have the same issues if he turns it on. I love Sabonis fire and his improved evolution in this area. Seems it is a process to adjust.

Seems to be more with the Zag bigs as Waldow and others are certainly allowed to bang. At least in my perception, and not meaning to upset our Gael brethren. I just wish that ALL refs were under a common umbrella and ALL refs were taught to interpret the rules the same, and call the games the same.

zagamatic
06-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing all the guys play next year to see how much they've improved and/or for the first time, but none more than Ryan. Call it a hunch, but I just get the feeling that there are going to be the same arguments that we heard this year about how Sabonis should be starting over so and so or that he should be getting more minutes. Just the thought of having 4 guys in the post with this much talent and size, it's just crazy. I also would like to see Edwards next to a tape measure, cuz it sure seems like he's taller than Mount K

cjm720
06-01-2015, 11:52 AM
You do not know what you are talking about. He is more than onboard with all of Travis' program and his body shows significant improvement.

As for minutes, as the 4th big it will be "spot" minutes next season as opposed to a regular slot in the rotation.

This descriptions seems to better fit what I saw of him on the bench and reports of his work ethic. Minutes will be tough next year, but I would argue he's the best 4th option big in the country!

Zagcity
06-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Give it time the crème always rises to the top :)

Mr Vulture
06-01-2015, 01:44 PM
The comments about Edwards are way off base in regards to him putting in the work. I have pictures right now, from the end of last week, that show otherwise. Both Edwards and Wiltjer were at an event for developmentally disabled children (my niece was a participant). I have to say that the pictures were amusing in how big these guys are when you see them with the kids...LOL

cjm720
06-01-2015, 02:42 PM
The comments about Edwards are way off base in regards to him putting in the work. I have pictures right now, from the end of last week, that show otherwise. Both Edwards and Wiltjer were at an event for developmentally disabled children (my niece was a participant). I have to say that the pictures were amusing in how big these guys are when you see them with the kids...LOL

Are you saying he is or is not getting in better shape?

raise the zag
06-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Some have a propensity to misconstrue a simple comment to the point of unnecessary issue/complaint.

It was precisely what I heard re: Edwards, from a former player who knows him and the situation.

No one is slamming or criticizing or critical of anyone.

Actually, quite the opposite..

He's making the most of his RS year. There is a reason he chose to RS -- he wants to get better and develop his game, his ability, his future. He's doing that as we speak.

I am paraphrasing, yet straight from the horses' mouth:

"Ryan has the softest hands on the team. He's developing into a force, putting the work, being a great teammate. GU has a system to keep RS and walk-ons engaged year around. While he's no weight room warrior, he's committed to the court and developing every part of his game. He's going to compliment Karnowski perfectly and wants to play and be the best he can be….(and then some)…."

I simply stated Ryan isn't known for being obsessed with the weight room portion, as he's choosing to balance his time and seemingly making the most of it. Take it for what its worth. This is what I was told.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything and people would sleep better?

Every player and RS choose how they spend their time and their development. Is Ryan working out? Of course. His trimmer body is evident of that -- speaks for itself.

It was a passing comment, not a harsh one -- simply stating he has some of the best attributes of any big, yet still needs to add strength/muscle.

I presume his former teammate was stating that Ryan still has room for muscle, yet his talent and ability is shining through right now...

Zagdawg
06-01-2015, 03:08 PM
So the translation to the comment is he spending somewhere between "every waking hour" and "very little time" in the weight room. Further translation he is spending time in the weight room ---but not as much as some others on the team.

Not everyone likes spending time in the weight room --but as long as he is in the gym improving his game --that works for me.

zagamatic
06-02-2015, 12:58 AM
I'm totally ok if he's not in the weight room every available minute. He's lost what, 60 pounds since arriving on campus? That means to me that he needs to spend more time working on getting used to his new frame / coordination than he does needing to bulk back up. In fact, I'd love it if he's working harder on stamina and his vertical more than being able to bench a Volkswagen. But that's just me.

CDC84
06-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Semantics, semantics.

webspinnre
06-02-2015, 07:43 AM
It's the offseason, what else would we do if we didn't freak out and take remarks out of context? :)

MDABE80
06-02-2015, 08:54 AM
It's the offseason, what else would we do if we didn't freak out and take remarks out of context? :)

How about write nothing at all???

Mr Vulture
06-02-2015, 09:18 AM
He looks like he has transformed from the HS body type to a college body type. I have a picture I would share on here but don't want to violate any rules by doing so.

GrizZAG
06-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Hopefully banging with PK and Sabonis the past year has upped his intensity level, if in fact he is prone to being too passive/timid on the court. I don't know what better "Intensifier" there could be then Sabonis going hard at you in practice....if you don't match his intensity he'll dominate you.

OT: My new favorite nickname for Sabonis: The Intensifier

This
So key for him

MDABE80
06-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Ryan will be a very good asset. he's got the tools. Much better athletically than Karno.. I look forward to seeing him play this year. He certainly has a positive attitude. That's half the game right there. Hard worker. He'll be a good one. Size, dedication, works hard, it's about all we can ask for.

Hogan
06-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Sorry, but I can't help myself. A better athlete than Karno? I'm not seeing that at all. Ryan will be fine offensively, it is on the defensive end that big improvement is needed. Here's hoping the red-shirt year did wonders.

Mr Vulture
06-02-2015, 01:40 PM
I think Edwards is more athletic than Karno as well...

Sorry, but I can't help myself. A better athlete than Karno? I'm not seeing that at all. Ryan will be fine offensively, it is on the defensive end that big improvement is needed. Here's hoping the red-shirt year did wonders.

jazzdelmar
06-02-2015, 01:45 PM
I think Edwards is more athletic than Karno as well...

Me, too. By a lot. And that foul shooting is a dream asset.

GoZags
06-02-2015, 02:16 PM

I don't think Shem-Nasty was a member of his high school tennis team like Ryan was.

DADoZAG
06-02-2015, 02:41 PM
I don't think Shem-Nasty was a member of his high school tennis team like Ryan was.

+1.

Imagine his serve!

While I expect Ryan's hopes for Wimbledon are somewhat limited, the athleticism will transfer well.

Go ZAGS!

raise the zag
06-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Me, too. By a lot. And that foul shooting is a dream asset.

Ryan was a terrific athlete in HS, I'm sure it will translate...

With the graduation of Pangos, Edwards is one of the best FT shooters on the team. Perks is pretty automatic as well.

ZAGLAWQB
06-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Next year will only be a small block in Ryan's development as regarding basketball skills. What it will be is the
turning point for his own self-evaluation and his setting his personal goals as a basketball player. There are many
levels of his skills that may or may not ever be 100%. However, next year his body and mind will be ready to move
forward as he so determines. His final 2 years will be a product of talent, work, desire, and "his knowing" the first three
elements will control his basketball destiny...his intelligence and height are God given...his goals are his to set and attain.
My evaluation of this particular "big" is based on year three being the frame of reference year for Ryan. Years 4 and 5
will be under his control and the destiny beyond.
PS...these situations and ultimate transformations makes coaches entire bodies smile for have chosen their career.

sittingon50
06-02-2015, 09:32 PM
+1.

Imagine his serve!

While I expect Ryan's hopes for Wimbledon are somewhat limited, the athleticism will transfer well.

Go ZAGS!

Maybe he could scream when he shoots FT's!