PDA

View Full Version : Now what?

jazzdelmar
05-31-2015, 03:26 AM
OK, W3 is in the fold. Great get, staff. 16-17 looking good. Now what's in the pipeline? Seems to me we still have some unaddressed needs for this upcoming season. Recruiting gurus, please weigh in.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-31-2015, 04:23 AM
Is Bailey still in the mix? Adding an athletic wing with size and immediate eligibility would round out the rosters quite nicely.

jazzdelmar
05-31-2015, 04:29 AM
Is Bailey still in the mix? Adding an athletic wing with size and immediate eligibility would round out the rosters quite nicely.

And the Messi-like point guard from Italia, cosa c' di nuovo con lui?

kitzbuel
05-31-2015, 05:42 AM
And the Messi-like point guard from Italia, cosa c' di nuovo con lui?
With all that talent, we need need a point who can distribute.

jazzdelmar
05-31-2015, 05:44 AM
With all that talent, we need need a point who can distribute.

Isn't that Perks top trait?

kitzbuel
05-31-2015, 06:04 AM
Isn't that Perks top trait?

A solid back up for him one area that could use improvement for this season. We get much healthier there the season after that.

MTZag03
05-31-2015, 06:22 AM
Seems to me we could use a touch more size at small forward, but I'm not complaining about KD and BA. Next season we will need a SF though. We're absolutely stacked with bigs. Need PG depth and a SF for 2016 is my thought.

TexasZagFan
05-31-2015, 06:35 AM
OK, W3 is in the fold. Great get, staff. 16-17 looking good. Now what's in the pipeline? Seems to me we still have some unaddressed needs for this upcoming season. Recruiting gurus, please weigh in.

Now what? I'm just going to go for my walk with a big smile on my face. Next 3 years look #####in'.

JW3 + sunny skies in Texas (first in 3 weeks), great combo.

I was chuckling at some of the comments on the boards last night, underplaying the significance of the transfer. I'm happy for the young man and his family. I know what the Gonzaga atmosphere does to a young man, and it's all good.

tyra
05-31-2015, 07:11 AM
My take: 15-16 is probably set. We probably do not (although it is possible) get anyone who plays this upcoming season. For me, the biggest question mark for 16-17 is whether Sabonis goes to the NBA. If he stays and IF the chemistry comes together (you never know), I am thinking 16-17 will be an exceptional year, even by Gonzaga standards. And I'm excited for next year!

GoZags
05-31-2015, 07:17 AM
My take: 15-16 is probably set. We probably do not (although it is possible) get anyone who plays this upcoming season. For me, the biggest question mark for 16-17 is whether Sabonis goes to the NBA. If he stays and IF the chemistry comes together (you never know), I am thinking 16-17 will be an exceptional year, even by Gonzaga standards. And I'm excited for next year!

From everything I understand ... Domas is planning on getting his degree from Gonzaga and then head off to play pro basketball. He is not only living "the dream" for himself, but he's living "the dream" for his brothers. I know that things can change ... but I also know he's very happy at Gonzaga.

And for this coming season? I don't believe Tommy is done yet ....

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-31-2015, 07:24 AM
Now what?

We all go out and party our faces off for the rest of the off-season, savoring the anticipation of incredible things we fans have in store in the next three seasons. The anticipation is the real joy, let's enjoy it.

zagsfanforlife
05-31-2015, 07:53 AM

No way the staff is done. 2 open scholarships and 2 already used on people not playing next year. There is not enough depth at the point guard position, possibly sf as well. Not many big programs leave TWO open scholarships. I 100% believe that there is someone lined up oversees.

Reborn
05-31-2015, 07:56 AM
If there's a dead-eye Ninja 3 point shooter out there I'd give him a scholly. I'd like to see some small-town kid from Washington, Oregon or Idaho have a shot to wear a Gonzaga uniform. Someone like Derrek Raivio.

MickMick
05-31-2015, 08:47 AM
Apparently, GU has become a destination for transfers.

This is a completely new realm of logistics.

Typically, a coach spends months, even years recruiting a high school player. A great deal of assets can be spent.

On the other hand, transfers can just drop out of the sky with much less investment.

Sure....I get it that a lot of effort was spent on Wiltjer before he opted for UK. There are exceptions to the rule.

I also understand that some recruiting effort is spent on suddenly available transfers, but for those transfers, the recruiting window is much smaller than that for a high school kid.

So to answer Jazz' question of "What next?"

The answer is: We don't know nor do any of the coaches for that matter. You can't be choosey about what kind of eggs that the transfer Golden Goose lays. You just take those eggs and somehow fit them in to make it all work. Meanwhile, you recruit high school kids to fill core future needs.

DixieZag
05-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Someone needs to put a GPS bell on Tommy's neck. We'd have a better idea if we knew which continent he was on.

GuZag2012
05-31-2015, 09:20 AM
I love the pick-ups this spring of Nigel Williams-Goss, Jonathan Williams III & Zach Collins but I'm hoping that the Zags have a few more recruits lined up to join the team next year.

I was wondering about Josh Steel, the shooting guard out of the UK, but I just saw that he signed with Duquesne in early May.

I see that Frederico Mussini is still uncomitted...does anyone have any more info as to when he'll commit and do the Zags seem to be still actively pursuing him.

Here is a list that ESPN had of transfers still available for next year from 2 days ago:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post/_/id/4899/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list

It'd be nice to add a little help at the guard positions in maybe a senior graduate transfer just for some additional depth, but it doesn't look like there are a lot of great options left on the transfer market. Regardless of who they still add, I'm extremely excited about the future of Zag Basketball and I'm confident that Coach Few & staff will fill out the roster with some outstanding additions

jazzdelmar
05-31-2015, 09:35 AM
The Williams boys are a year away and even then will play at most two years apiece for GU. So no rest for the staff, is my point. Bailey and Mussini are open questions, I am thinking, but there is also a need for a SF and a backup point. KD is a great sixth man but entering his 5th year in the program what you saw last year, which was pretty darn good, is what you can expect. He won't transform into a Richie Frahm overnight. The era of growing players in a program, and their stepping into starting roles as upperclassman, is last century thinking. The new look Zags plug and play now, much the same as the legacy programs do, though at a somewhat lower talent level.

gonzagacfen
05-31-2015, 09:57 AM
Bailey is graduating high school in 2016, but he may take a mission first & be a freshman in 2018 instead

raise the zag
05-31-2015, 11:03 AM
Brendan & his family are devote LDS and Thurl Bailey does "fireside" chats on regular basis for the Church's radio station throughout Utah.

Brendan is considering a mission post-HS.

He should chat with Jesse Wade.

MDABE80
05-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Another big..........a bouncy one is needed. Maybe the JV ranks? as MTZag03 above indicates.

seacatfan
05-31-2015, 04:14 PM
How is backup PG a need? Isn't that what McClellan is? Combo guard, whatever, he played backup PG some (GBJ did a little as well) in '14-'15 once he finally got on the court.

zagamatic
05-31-2015, 08:13 PM
I'm not necessarily understanding the talk about another backup point guard? Josh Perkins is the popular choice at starter with good reason. But I don't understand why anyone thinks that Eric McLellan won't be spelling him as well as possibly starting at the 2 guard? Frankly, IMO there isn't much of a talent gap between Perkins, E Mac and Melson that a talent jump in the off season can't overcome. Then Wade comes in the next year, correct?
As far as Alberts goes, I personally have very little information to judge him on and what little there is is over a year old and frankly not very helpful. He could well have the skills to play at the 3 effectively or be a solid 2 guard. 99 percent of people won't know until the whistle sounds next season. I would feel better about having a Micah Downs type guy at the 3, but I'm relatively good with what we have. Especially if Dranginis has developed a shorter memory and just let's the game flow.

ZagaZags
05-31-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm not necessarily understanding the talk about another backup point guard? Josh Perkins is the popular choice at starter with good reason. But I don't understand why anyone thinks that Eric McLellan won't be spelling him as well as possibly starting at the 2 guard? Frankly, IMO there isn't much of a talent gap between Perkins, E Mac and Melson that a talent jump in the off season can't overcome. Then Wade comes in the next year, correct?
As far as Alberts goes, I personally have very little information to judge him on and what little there is is over a year old and frankly not very helpful. He could well have the skills to play at the 3 effectively or be a solid 2 guard. 99 percent of people won't know until the whistle sounds next season. I would feel better about having a Micah Downs type guy at the 3, but I'm relatively good with what we have. Especially if Dranginis has developed a shorter memory and just let's the game flow.

Then Wade comes in the next year, correct?

Wade will be available for the 2017-2018 season.

Coach Crazy
05-31-2015, 09:33 PM
What's next? Well, first we sit back and enjoy what is going on here. Second, we devote some time to the thought of how wonderful those beat downs on UW are going to be. And third, we prognostic as to the project picks (Mussini, etc.) that this staff goes after with the remaining schollies. Unless of course they can get some 2016's that are willing to redshirt.

Kinda hard to say where we are when we haven't seen: 1. what BA can do 2. how J3 will improve and 3. If Melson can handle being a heightened contributor. But I trust whoever this staff decides to ink to the remaining scholarship spots.

hooter73
05-31-2015, 10:39 PM
If there's a dead-eye Ninja 3 point shooter out there I'd give him a scholly. I'd like to see some small-town kid from Washington, Oregon or Idaho have a shot to wear a Gonzaga uniform.

NO. Weve seen what that looks like and his name was Hyland.

ZagaZags
05-31-2015, 11:18 PM
From everything I understand ... Domas is planning on getting his degree from Gonzaga and then head off to play pro basketball. He is not only living "the dream" for himself, but he's living "the dream" for his brothers. I know that things can change ... but I also know he's very happy at Gonzaga.

And for this coming season? I don't believe Tommy is done yet ....

Sounds Euro to me. To be honest, I don't think we need another player for the 2015-2016 season.

kitzbuel
06-01-2015, 07:39 AM
How is backup PG a need? Isn't that what McClellan is? Combo guard, whatever, he played backup PG some (GBJ did a little as well) in '14-'15 once he finally got on the court.
I agree. If you look at this coming year's depth chart, PG is about the only position where we don't have clear, known backup. That gets fixed real fast the following season with Wade. It is not even a particularly noticeable issue for this coming season.

We do seem to be pretty stocked at the combo guard position, though.

sittingon50
06-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Sounds Euro to me. To be honest, I don't think we need another player for the 2015-2016 season.

Disagree, Zaga. 9 scholarship players + Rem & Dustin = recipe for disaster. Someone gets kicked in the jaw, rolls an ankle or the flu runs thru the team & they are potentially screwed. Need one or 2 that fit between the "9" and the "2" , IMO.

WallaWallaZag
06-01-2015, 09:00 AM
I agree. If you look at this coming year's depth chart, PG is about the only position where we don't have clear, known backup. That gets fixed real fast the following season with Wade. It is not even a particularly noticeable issue for this coming season.

wade is in two years...the following year nwg will be the "co-point guard" along with perkins. i'm okay with emac as the backup for this coming year...would you prefer the italian as the backup over him???

cjm720
06-01-2015, 09:28 AM

I see zero concern for this season.

For 2016/2017, I would be thrilled if we brought in a a point guard, bigger guard/wing, and a Center.

ProjectMKUltra5
06-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Disagree, Zaga. 9 scholarship players + Rem & Dustin = recipe for disaster. Someone gets kicked in the jaw, rolls an ankle or the flu runs thru the team & they are potentially screwed. Need one or 2 that fit between the "9" and the "2" , IMO.

This.

It's not a slight to the current players to say the depth isn't where it probably should be. Never know who could roll an ankle, or get kicked in the face. Or maybe somebody's shooting hand gets bit by that turtle Wiljter was playing with.

You just never know

gonzagafan62
06-01-2015, 10:35 AM

Lets just put it this way. With the group we have now, any one of Wiltjer, Perkins gets hurt and we are not going that far in the big dance. Just that simple. Karnowski and Sabonis are huge too. They need to stay healthy. You are right we absolutely need two more players to add depth on the team. Preferrably a point guard and a SF.

JMO, as always.

coolhandzag
06-01-2015, 10:39 AM
What will the ball club do. Hard to say. Slots will be filled and the ball will roll out in November. The team has potential.

Me personally? I'm going up to Galbraith to tear up Evo, Gr####opper and Unemployment Line, and leave the good stuff to Few and Company.

cggonzaga
06-01-2015, 10:51 AM
For 2016/2017, I would be thrilled if we brought in a a point guard, bigger guard/wing, and a Center.

A center? Either you forgot about Edwards or don't believe in his potential. Edwards should literally be a better version of Karno and I mean that as a high compliment.

I also don't think we need anything else for this year. If you want to give a couple "projects" scholarships in the hope they turn into something then fine. As long as they understand those scholly's could vanish should they not progress. I'm completely fine with our 5guard rotation and 4 man post rotation. Teams would kill for that kind of depth.

seacatfan
06-01-2015, 11:33 AM
I think some people are getting a bit greedy for depth. Really no more than 8 or 9 players are going to see the court for anything other than mop up duty. So...we want a really talented player that can contribute right away, but is willing to not get much playing time, as an insurance policy against an injury? That's a transfer waiting to happen.

cjm720
06-01-2015, 11:55 AM
A center? Either you forgot about Edwards or don't believe in his potential. Edwards should literally be a better version of Karno and I mean that as a high compliment.

I also don't think we need anything else for this year. If you want to give a couple "projects" scholarships in the hope they turn into something then fine. As long as they understand those scholly's could vanish should they not progress. I'm completely fine with our 5guard rotation and 4 man post rotation. Teams would kill for that kind of depth.

Ryan will be a junior by them...need someone in the pipeline without a doubt (IMO of course). Zach is a power forward and JWIII is a tweener (closer to wing than Center).

MTZag03
06-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Don't know why so many posts are out and about saying Edwards is going to be better than Karnowski. I'm highly skeptical of that. I'll believe it when I see it.

Plus who cares if Edwards is a better freethrow shooter? Karno is the best 3 pt shooter percentage wise that we've ever had.

cggonzaga
06-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Karno is the best 3 pt shooter percentage wise that we've ever had.

Well played.

To answer the rest though, Ryan has better feet, better hands, super soft touch, a little more athleticism, way better free throw shooter, can shoot it all the way out to the 3pt line. Karno is probably a better passer and I believe Karno is a very good defender. Again, my compliments to Edwards being potentially better than Karno are with high regards to Karno.

Ryan will be a junior by them...need someone in the pipeline without a doubt (IMO of course).

I hear ya. I think the center position is a little outdated. There just aren't that many out there. It's a luxury to have but not a necessity imo.

NumberCruncher
06-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Don't know why so many posts are out and about saying Edwards is going to be better than Karnowski. I'm highly skeptical of that. I'll believe it when I see it.

Plus who cares if Edwards is a better freethrow shooter? Karno is the best 3 pt shooter percentage wise that we've ever had.

Karnowski is at 50% (1 for 2).
Dustin Triano is also at 50% (3 for 6).
Brian Bhaskar hit 2 out of 3 in his career, so he wins the honor.
:clap:

kitzbuel
06-01-2015, 04:53 PM
wade is in two years...the following year nwg will be the "co-point guard" along with perkins. i'm okay with emac as the backup for this coming year...would you prefer the italian as the backup over him???
Actually, my point was that I think we are pretty good with scoring combo guards.

MTZag03
06-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Karnowski is at 50% (1 for 2).
Dustin Triano is also at 50% (3 for 6).
Brian Bhaskar hit 2 out of 3 in his career, so he wins the honor.
:clap:

Karno took another three somewhere along the line? I must have missed that.