PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Connor Griffin

Sarenyon
05-29-2015, 08:42 AM
Looks like he has not decided on what program to transfer to. Good luck Griffin, wish we could of seen you dunk it one more time. Once a Zag, always a Zag!

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/262132-134511-eggers-kevin-love-returns-to-cavs-another-adelman-will-coach-lincoln-basketball-kasey-closs-makes-jags-connor-griffin-leaves-gonzaga-

Former Lake Oswego basketball/football standout Connor Griffin, who has been a member of the Gonzaga basketball team the past two years, is transferring from the Spokane school to play football.

The 6-4, 210-pound Griffin made the Bulldogs as a walk-on freshman and played on the varsity the past two years. He had nine points and eight rebounds in 14 games as a reserve small forward on the team that reached the Elite Eight this winter.

"I have more potential in football and missed the game," says Griffin, a first-team all-state wide receiver for the Lakers with 36 receptions for 919 yards and 14 TDs as senior. "I knew at some point I was going to play college football. I didn't know if it was going to be for just one year after I was through with basketball, or more."

Griffin says it was a difficult decision to leave Gonzaga, "especially after going to the Elite Eight."

"We lost four guys and I was going to be fighting for more playing time," he says. "But in the end, I had to listen to my heart and pursue football. I owed it to myself to explore my options and see what else was out there."

Portland State has offered a scholarship. Montana has offered some financial help, and Washington says it will take Griffin as a preferred walk-on.

"I want to find out more about each program and how legit they are about using me," says Griffin, who retains three seasons of football eligibility. "I've talked with Portland State coaches and will take visits to Montana and Washington before I decide."

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Why not consider a lower echelon D1 hoops program, such as the Ivy or Patriot leagues, where he would be a standout and get a great education. Makes no sense to go from E8 hoops to bottom of the barrel fut-bawl, which is so 1980 and has clearly jumped the shark.

sittingon50
05-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Good Luck Connor!

Ekrub
05-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Why not consider a lower echelon D1 hoops program, such as the Ivy or Patriot leagues, where he would be a standout and get a great education. Makes no sense to go from E8 hoops to bottom of the barrel fut-bawl, which is so 1980 and has clearly jumped the shark.

Potential. He might have pro dreams.

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Potential. He might have pro dreams.

You mean more dreamy than playing hoops for Princeton? Kids!!!!!

VaBeachZAG
05-29-2015, 11:20 AM
You mean more dreamy than playing hoops for Princeton? Kids!!!!!

Meech got on the field as a NFL pro. Nothing remotely comparable awaited him if he continued playing BB to the end of his college career. Similar story here, if Griffin pursued BB through college, his after college playing for pay options would be slim to nil. At least in football there may be a bit more of a chance for a pro career after college. Also, given his declaration of love for football, this move makes total sense.

basketballzag
05-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Meech got on the field as a NFL pro. Nothing remotely comparable awaited him if he continued playing BB to the end of his college career. Similar story here, if Griffin pursued BB through college, his after college playing for pay options would be slim to nil. At least in football there may be a bit more of a chance for a pro career after college. Also, given his declaration of love for football, this move makes total sense.

If I was Connor Griffin I would be making a call immediately to Tulane Coach Curtis Johnson. They have a need at WR and he can learn from Johnson who is one of the best WR coaches in the game.

VaBeachZAG
05-29-2015, 01:45 PM
If I was Connor Griffin I would be making a call immediately to Tulane Coach Curtis Johnson. They have a need at WR and he can learn from Johnson who is one of the best WR coaches in the game.

As a EWU alum, I would love to see him in Cheney. But, Tulane does sound like a good option.

MDABE80
05-29-2015, 01:58 PM
I don't know his position but he's got some size and athletic skills. I really hope he does well in his last 2 years. EWU's a super program.
He'd do better with BSU or something like UW.
I hope he cleans up whatever he does.

mtzaga
05-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Griz fans want him. He would fit in well with the new offense.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70261

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Better he call Mitch Henderson or Kyle Smith.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-29-2015, 02:16 PM
I would love to see him in a Griz uniform, but wish him luck wherever he goes.

I actually think he would have played a fair amount of basketball for the Zags during the coming season if he had stayed with hoops. At the moment, we only have five guards/wings on scholarship with eligibility for the coming year. We could use a wing with some size and athleticism for depth.

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 02:43 PM
I would love to see him in a Griz uniform, but wish him luck wherever he goes.

I actually think he would have played a fair amount of basketball for the Zags during the coming season if he had stayed with hoops. At the moment, we only have five guards/wings on scholarship with eligibility for the coming year. We could use a wing with some size and athleticism for depth.

Naa, he never would have played with the new look Zags. Perhaps if we played Georgia three times a year, but other than that he is a throwback. One in the rear view mirror. KD is the last of that breed, IMO.

Zag 77
05-29-2015, 02:46 PM
He is exactly the kind of kid that would have fit in very nicely on Dan Fitzgerald's teams. He just came along 20 years too late.

MDABE80
05-29-2015, 03:25 PM
He needs to be trained into football at the D1 level. Which his size speed and general athleticism, he might /should pick a school that best serves him. If he can find a coach and situation that developes him, that's where I'd go. A recognized place who can teach and develop his skills. WR seems like a good slot. Needs poundage to be a halfback. He has options. Washington's trending back to it's old self........Finding the right D1 place and that one coach might be hard.

DixieZag
05-29-2015, 04:47 PM
I wish him the best.

I am surprised he is a WR - though I'm sure the people that know these things know why WR is his best position.

It just seems to me that if he put on a few pounds, he has defensive end or even safety written all over him.

Once and Future Zag
05-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Dude has athleticism to burn, and the size to make the pros.

Cannot blame him 1 iota for seeing if he has a chance at the NFL.

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Jason Rubright 2.0?

Need help on that, MCMM.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-29-2015, 05:15 PM
He is exactly the kind of kid that would have fit in very nicely on Dan Fitzgerald's teams. He just came along 20 years too late.

Jason Rubright 2.0?

SunDevilGolfZag
05-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Jason Rubright 2.0?

Matt Stanford 2.0 comes more to mind

Coach Crazy
05-29-2015, 07:31 PM
With his size and athleticism, I would put him in a 4-3 Tampa 2 as a middle linebacker in a heartbeat.

sittingon50
05-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Matt Stanford 2.0 comes more to mind

Agreed.

jazzdelmar
05-30-2015, 05:26 AM
I know, dead horse department, but Griff can play both sports at an Ivy. And still make the Shield if he is good enough. I stop now.

MTZag03
05-30-2015, 06:36 AM
He could also play at Montana and have as good of a shot at the pros. Whatever he wants to do. No doubt the ivy league would give a far better education or at least the perception of it.

jazzdelmar
05-30-2015, 06:49 AM
He could also play at Montana and have as good of a shot at the pros. Whatever he wants to do. No doubt the ivy league would give a far better education or at least the perception of it.

But no mountains with block M to hike. Well, maybe Dartmouth. Love Missoula :)

lv2hoop
05-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Why not football at Montana and a valuable reserve on the mens hoops team? He's got the athleticism to help out in the Big Sky Conference.

MTZag03
05-30-2015, 09:06 AM
But no mountains with block M to hike. Well, maybe Dartmouth. Love Missoula :)

Just ran a five miler including said M. Sweaty.

jazzdelmar
05-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Just ran a five miler including said M. Sweaty.

Awesome. Now hit the Food Store for a smoothie.....

zagamatic
05-30-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm sad to see him go. That being said, and I can't believe that I'm about to say this, I kinda hope that he chooses UW. I will never be a fan of that school, but I am most certainly a fan of coach Peterson. And I have a feeling that he would do well under that particular coach, plus he's closer to home that way. I would LOVE to see him play for the Seahawks someday!

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-31-2015, 06:05 AM
Why not football at Montana and a valuable reserve on the mens hoops team? He's got the athleticism to help out in the Big Sky Conference.

Why not keep it all in the family and play football at Boise State and perhaps some hoops for Coach Rice? Only if he's playing wide receiver though, otherwise he'd have to bulk up way too much to still play D-1 hoops as a wing or 2 guard.

A to Zags
05-31-2015, 01:53 PM

I like this idea because I live in Montana. However, instead of UW why not down the road in Pullman? Conner was all state as an end and I can't imagine a more fun offense to play in than the one the Cougars run. Plus, their basketball program could use some help if Conner wants to try 2 sports.

ZAGLAWQB
06-02-2015, 05:00 PM
UW and Coach Peterson is great foundation if football and NFL are goals.

Schmitty
06-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Awesome. Now hit the Food Store for a smoothie.....

Better yet, hit Stocks for a beer.. rehydrate

mtzaga
06-03-2015, 06:55 AM
UW and Coach Peterson is great foundation if football and NFL are goals.

You know you want him to play for the Griz. If a couple of guys from Havre and Butte can walk on at UM and make it to the NFL, anything is possible.

willandi
06-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Too bad we didn't contemplate this sooner. Full football pads just might have stopped the Duke guards!

Kiddwell
06-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Connor, be a Cougar! Light up Saturday Nights on the Palouse!

:]

Bogozags
06-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Has he been offered from either of those three schools (WU, WSU or Montana)?

How about EWU? They have been a top five D1aa school for the past few years...they like an uptempo game just like "GU!" Just a bigger field on which to run and jump...:)

mtzaga
06-10-2015, 04:47 AM
I saw this on the eGriz football board. Connor in Missoula with the Tinkles.

https://twitter.com/c_griffs_

Mr Vulture
06-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Why would he be hanging with the Tinkles in Missoula? I thought they were at Oregon State now.

I saw this on the eGriz football board. Connor in Missoula with the Tinkles.

https://twitter.com/c_griffs_

sittingon50
06-10-2015, 11:32 AM
I think just Dad moved. I believe Mom & son stayed behind so son could finish Sr. year of HS.

Zagdawg
06-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Going to follow his exploits where ever he goes....Once a Zag....

Zagdawg
06-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Rem Bakamus ‏@RemFifteen 20m20 minutes ago
My guy @C_Griffs_ is gonna be a Dawg!! Let's go. Bow Down to Washington. UW just got a hell of an athlete and person @UW_Football ��������

MDABE80
06-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Tell Rem, we don't bow down to UW. It's the opposite.........or it should be.

MTZag03
06-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Wonder if he will play basketball there. Somehow I doubt it. He's not going to be as good as UW's perpetually high level recruits, and the prospect of playing in Romar's system after playing with Few should cause some hesitation. Regardless, I'll cheer him on.

Mr Vulture
06-15-2015, 07:09 PM
I hope Conner does good but I will NEVER root for UW in any sport!

MDABE80
06-15-2015, 07:13 PM
No worries Vult. They send kids to GU for basketball. Not the other way around. I hope he has fun in football.

Angelo Roncalli
06-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Wonder if he will play basketball there. Somehow I doubt it. He's not going to be as good as UW's perpetually high level recruits, and the prospect of playing in Romar's system after playing with Few should cause some hesitation. Regardless, I'll cheer him on.

He would have to sit out a year to play basketball.

spike_jr
06-15-2015, 08:49 PM
He would have to sit out a year to play basketball.

Are you positive he would have to sit? He was not a scholarship player. Do the same transfer rules apply to scholarship and walk on student athletes?

zagamatic
06-15-2015, 09:48 PM
I would imagine that the sitting out a year applies to everyone who doesn't have a hardship waiver. Otherwise, star athletes with parents who have deep pockets could jump ship and just pay their own way

willandi
06-16-2015, 06:39 AM
I could see him playing basketball there! A kid that knew how to work in a system and loved to go one-on-one and dunk! Isn't that what they always get? Well, not the playing in a system part. Good luck Connor, we hardly knew ya'.

cjm720
06-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Awesome, best of luck Connor...will be rooting for you!

Is this a walk on opportunity or was a scholarship offered?