PDA

View Full Version : MAC Floor Renovation

Angelo Roncalli
05-13-2015, 11:38 AM
The old floor is on its way out...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE6O_m6UMAAJ2yL.jpg:large

TheGonzagaFactor
05-13-2015, 11:57 AM
Do you know if the design is to change at all? Or is it just a new floor with same design?

BearDownZags
05-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Are they selling any of it?

gozagswoohoo
05-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Are they selling any of it?

Was gonna ask the same question.

Zaga
05-13-2015, 12:08 PM
I want a piece of that maple!

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-13-2015, 12:29 PM
I want a piece of that maple!

Are you sure it's maple?
I'd prefer a nice piece of ash 😀

Zaga
05-13-2015, 01:13 PM
It builds consternation when I already have all the ash I can handle. but I would sacrifice for a piece of Zag ash if it is available to the Zag commoners.

Zagdawg
05-13-2015, 01:40 PM
I heard we were getting something like Oregons floor.................just kidding.

raise the zag
05-13-2015, 02:15 PM
are we getting that super cool, hi-tech "spongy" wood flooring?

It actually has some give and easier on joints/falls/etc.

hondo
05-13-2015, 02:42 PM
It looks like they are just resurfacing the old floor. So any piece of the old floor that would be available would be in the form of dust collected by sanding.

229SintoZag
05-13-2015, 03:03 PM
It looks like they are just resurfacing the old floor. So any piece of the old floor that would be available would be in the form of dust collected by sanding.

If I had my way, they would remove the word "Gonzaga" from the mid-court circle and just have only the bulldog head logo there--nothing else.

That logo has become synonymous with Gonzaga. The lettering in the middle of the court now is too big and distracting.

We should keep the lettering on the end lines but just have the bulldog head logo alone at mid-court circle.

Just my two cents.

ZagsGoZags
05-13-2015, 03:20 PM
no slippery logos please

DixieZag
05-13-2015, 05:18 PM
If I had my way, they would remove the word "Gonzaga" from the mid-court circle and just have only the bulldog head logo there--nothing else.

That logo has become synonymous with Gonzaga. The lettering in the middle of the court now is too big and distracting.

We should keep the lettering on the end lines but just have the bulldog head logo alone at mid-court circle.

Just my two cents.

Interesting point. I like the sound of that.

I obviously haven't given this a huge amount of thought but I like the idea of taking the Bulldog logo off, and just a huge "Zags" kind of across that middle area.

One marketing advantage we have is that people like the "Zag" thing. It's unusual, fun to say, all that. I think we keep the Bulldog logo, of course, but there are bulldog mascots all over the nation and so the real unique thing on the floor could be the "Zag" thing.

Dunno. Someone way better at thinking of these things has already decided.

229SintoZag
05-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Interesting point. I like the sound of that.

I obviously haven't given this a huge amount of thought but I like the idea of taking the Bulldog logo off, and just a huge "Zags" kind of across that middle area.

One marketing advantage we have is that people like the "Zag" thing. It's unusual, fun to say, all that. I think we keep the Bulldog logo, of course, but there are bulldog mascots all over the nation and so the real unique thing on the floor could be the "Zag" thing.

Dunno. Someone way better at thinking of these things has already decided.

Zags is fine but not on the court.

The "Bulldog Head" logo is now at the point where it is almost iconic in its association with our school. It is our athletic "brand." Like Nike's swoosh, or the Apple sillhouette of an Apple with a bite out of it.

Having any words like "Gonzaga" or "Bulldogs" or "Zags" on the court is, in this sense, repetitive. It tells the viewer what he or she already knows: that this is the home of Gonzaga.

Sometimes less is more. Sometimes clean and simple is better than big and gaudy. Think about it. When I was a kid, Nike used to still put the word "Nike" on the tennis shoes my mom bought me. They abandoned that, more or less, years ago. Now it is just a "Swoosh" all the time, everywhere. Same with Addidas and Under Armor.

The huge "Gonzaga" in italic capital white letters, with "University" under it in straight blue letters, right under the bulldog is just too busy, it takes up too much real estate, and it is completely unnecessary.

One baseline already says "Gonzaga." The other already says "Bulldogs." We also have two large red "Kennel" logos and two large Les Schwab logos on the Court.

My fear is the Nascar-ization of our court. That fear can be alleviated with a cleanup at the timeline: just the Gonzaga Bulldog logo of the bulldog head itself, nothing else. Problem solved.

Section 116
05-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Regarding the floor at McCarthey, the following was passed on to me by a knowledgeable source closely connected to the athletic department:

It (the floor) is getting replaced due to the paint that was on the old floor. A floor will normally last for decades. Unfortunately the paint choice was such that it seeped into the cracks in the hardwood. With expansion and contraction of the wood, the hardened paint caused the grooves to crack on the tongue/groove wood joints, It was an error that was missed by the architect, the general contractor, flooring contractor and the athletic staff. Unfortunately GU has to bear the entire cost of the replacement. My source thinks they used water based paint instead of oil base. He said, "Evidently whatever was used, is taboo in the hardwood paint world!"

raise the zag
05-13-2015, 08:24 PM
It will look identical. Repaint & resurface is all.

Missing out on a window of opportunity, if you ask me...

HenneZag
05-13-2015, 09:53 PM
It would be cool to see a new design, but I doubt that will happen.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-14-2015, 04:51 AM
I don't particularly care for the Les Schwab advertisements, but I don't imagine those are going anywhere

DADoZAG
05-14-2015, 03:21 PM
are we getting that super cool, hi-tech "spongy" wood flooring?

It actually has some give and easier on joints/falls/etc.

A vendor told me at least a year ago that there was a honeycomb subfloor installed for that purpose that was failing under the Kennel Club section. Something to do with the resonance of all those students jumping up and down in rhythm.

'Sort of wrote it off as unsupported hearsay.

Looking at AR's photo, it looks like I made the right choice as that looks like concrete under the flooring.

Still, it's only been 10 years, right?

Go ZAGS!

hondo
05-14-2015, 06:09 PM
From AR photo it would appear that concrete was directly under the flooring but I watched the flooring installation and can tell you that there is a complex system under the flooring to absorb shock.

hooter73
05-14-2015, 08:30 PM
My company was the sub that Garco used to paint the Mac when it was first built. We specifically excluded the floor coating because what was speced was so... Wrong. And holy god was it expensive. The coating and its sheen was specifically picked because of how it interacted with the tv cameras if I remember right.

Incidentally I may have some of the floor from the old kennel when it was replaced. J Stockton bought it, stored it and then we took it, Refinished it and used about half in Jerry Krauses new house. Very cool stuff.

EuroZag2010
05-16-2015, 12:08 PM
They're actually putting in new hardwood not resurfacing it. The old hardwood is being sliced to pieces.

DixieZag
05-16-2015, 02:53 PM
They're actually putting in new hardwood not resurfacing it. The old hardwood is being sliced to pieces.

They should cut it into very small pieces (small enough for most fans to buy a bit) and use the money as scholarship, another university cause, Coaches v. Cancer, something.

I'm sure someone smarter than me has a plan of some sort - I hope it is not just sold whole in one piece to some huge money org. It would be cool to allow people a piece of that wonderful floor.

EuroZag2010
05-16-2015, 07:23 PM
They should cut it into very small pieces (small enough for most fans to buy a bit) and use the money as scholarship, another university cause, Coaches v. Cancer, something.

I'm sure someone smarter than me has a plan of some sort - I hope it is not just sold whole in one piece to some huge money org. It would be cool to allow people a piece of that wonderful floor.

Nope they're just cutting it up and throwing it in the dumpster....

hooter73
05-16-2015, 08:21 PM

Oh man that's too bad. Gym floors make great firewood!

gozagswoohoo
05-18-2015, 05:53 AM

Umm...I'm gonna need someone to go raid that dumpster for me...

NontradZag
05-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Man I want a piece of that floor for the man cave. Oh....so.....bad.

ZAG'em
05-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Hmmm, went for a nice sunny Sunday drive and went by Mac court. Yes i got out and looked in the dumpsters much to the dismay of my wife. Didnt see any flooring

Hoopaholic
05-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Hmmm, went for a nice sunny Sunday drive and went by Mac court. Yes i got out and looked in the dumpsters much to the dismay of my wife. Didnt see any flooring

so its YOU that is on the "dumpster diving" wanted poster .......:adored:

ZAG'em
05-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Pride goes out the window when it comes to furnishing the man cave. Would love to have the flooring in the basement and watch recordings of old games while I'm sitting at the free throw line. Which dump did they take it to?

DixieZag
05-18-2015, 03:35 PM

I hope you're kidding.

Because, if you're not, then I need to apply for a job down at the athletic department. I know how to cover my first year salary.

Zagineer
05-18-2015, 09:33 PM

I typed out a very eloquent response and recommended corrective action to this topic, but was timed out before I could post it and lost all of it. So,... I'll just sum it all up by saying,.....

I am truly sick to my stomach. How could such a thing happen?

Hooter73: Being a '71 Alum, I'm just as, if not more, interested in the Old Kennel floor. So, if you do in fact have some "scraps", please PM me.

NontradZag
05-18-2015, 10:35 PM
I'd love a scrap of the Kennel too...if a scrap is available. Please let me know
...would love a piece of beloved Zags lore.

EuroZag2010
05-19-2015, 05:28 AM
I hope you're kidding.

Because, if you're not, then I need to apply for a job down at the athletic department. I know how to cover my first year salary.

Not kidding its inside the green huge dumpster but pretty much under "locked" key you have to open it actually... Don't ask me how I know all this. ������ witness protection program

DixieZag
05-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Not kidding its inside the green huge dumpster but pretty much under "locked" key you have to open it actually... Don't ask me how I know all this. ������ witness protection program

Thx.

I think I'll email Mike Roth this morning and tell him that someone made an error (in the opinion of a great many) and is there time to rectify it?

If they don't want to be bothered with the cutting and making it look nice on a plaque or something - contract it out.

Seems like a waste.

23zagmd
05-19-2015, 06:35 AM
I can't imagine any of this is true! A floor like this sells for about $300k brand new and about 50k on the low end on the secondary market. I know this, I've been looking for a few of them for a project I'm working on. If they are throwing it away, they have NO idea what in the hell they are doing and someone should contact me and I will put them in touch with the guy who brokers the floors on the secondary market.

Zagpower
05-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Cut it up, have past Zag greats autograph a few random pieces, package, sell.

DixieZag
05-19-2015, 08:02 AM
I can't imagine any of this is true! A floor like this sells for about $300k brand new and about 50k on the low end on the secondary market. I know this, I've been looking for a few of them for a project I'm working on. If they are throwing it away, they have NO idea what in the hell they are doing and someone should contact me and I will put them in touch with the guy who brokers the floors on the secondary market.

Given that there is absolutely no indication that anything done in that building for at least 20 years has been "not well thought out" - I've got to believe they have some kind of plan, maybe not a good one.

Call down there. They're very responsive. Probably really so, this time of year, when everyone takes a bit of a breath.

007Zag
05-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Dixie, if you are able to get a line open with Mike Roth, would you be so kind as to assess the Athletic Department's willingness to distribute some pieces to different board members? Even if they're not interested in coordinating a monetization, it could at least find it's way into devoted fans' homes with just a little effort. I know I would love to have a piece to memorialize my time at GU and the great teams that have played on that floor.

RenoZag
05-19-2015, 10:52 AM

BINGO

hooter73
05-19-2015, 11:15 AM

I may know someone that had Ronny sign a piece of the old floor and gave it as a wedding present to a family friend a couple years back :)

gozagswoohoo
05-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Jeeeeeeez, how could there not have been ONE person in the athletic department that didn't point out the idea of distributing that old floor is some way shape or form??

Good grief.

DixieZag
05-20-2015, 09:31 AM
The Definitive Answer

I called Mike Roth's Office.

He was in a meeting. His delightful secretary asked if she could take a message, I gave her name/number and said that I am wondering what they are doing with the floor.

S; "You want a piece of the floor, don't you?"

DZ: "Everyone wants a piece of the floor."

S: "Let me transfer you to Rob. He's our facilities director."

DZ: "Rob is going to decide what is done with the floor?" (Not believing this for one second).

S: "Yes."

I get Transferred.

"This is Rob."

"Hi Rob, my name is [DixieZag] and to the extent it matters I'm an alum and season tix holder, and the rumor is that you guys are throwing away the old floor. Tell me that's not true."

R: "It's gone."

DZ: "What?"

R: "It's gone"

DZ: "Where?"

R: "We didn't have time to. . ."

DZ "Where did the floor go, Rob?"

"Wherever the contractor takes them to recycle..."

"You've got to be kidding?"

"No."

"That was dumb, Rob."

And then, I decided to be polite, since the floor clearly isn't coming back to life.

"Bye Rob" (And I will be done there with pitch forks and torches and. . . )

They don't do a lot of stupid things there. That seems pretty dumb.

Zag 77
05-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Gonzaga Prep replaced their gym floor a few years ago and they sold some pieces of it as souvenirs. It really was not all that hard to do and they do not even have a marketing department.

RenoZag
05-20-2015, 09:42 AM
The labor and overhead to save the floor, cut it up, sell it, package it, ship it., etc. may not have made economic sense to the key decisionmakers ?

Could there have been legal issues that prohibited selling "swatches" of GU's home court ?

While it certainly seems like a lost golden opportunity to make a lot of fans in Zag Nation happy, I'm reluctant to call it stupid without knowing all of the facts.

DixieZag
05-20-2015, 09:49 AM
The labor and overhead to save the floor, cut it up, sell it, package it, ship it., etc. may not have made economic sense to the key decisionmakers ?

Could there have been legal issues that prohibited selling "swatches" of GU's home court ?

While it certainly seems like a lost golden opportunity to make a lot of fans in Zag Nation happy, I'm reluctant to call it stupid without knowing all of the facts.

Ok, well, there is some truth to judging something without knowing everything.

However, let's just say that timing was an issue, get the new one in, get the old one out, fast, without a plan for what to do with it. How hard would it be to just "store it" somewhere while determining what to do with a very valuable (financially and "spiritually") thing like that?

Even putting out a notice: "Hey, we have to get rid of the floor, anyone wanting pieces of the old floor, it will be set out in, ...." is better.

It Seems dumb.

DADoZAG
05-20-2015, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't just give up on it, Dix, but agree saying it's "stupid" might not be the best way to describe it.

There's no doubt a ton of facility work going on in a very tight schedule (camps are coming), and sometimes folks planning all that work are too close to something to see it from an outside perspective. It's about getting the job done.

It's amazing what all goes into demo work and construction as a whole. The fact the designers didn't catch the proper coating to begin with isn't a surprise (coatings are a common oversight), but the fact a sub didn't see a value engineering opportunity is. That's what I think might be called "stupid" but as Reno pointed out we don't have all the facts. Maybe a sub tried.

In that regard, it's possible the contractor thought of saving the floor, and if the contract simply stated something to effect of "...demo and disposal...", the contractor can "dispose" anyway they wish I believe.

That said, there may be verbiage in the boiler plate that prevents "...profit from the name or image...." or some such.

Legals on the board may have insight.

Thanx for the distraction and break in an incredibly hectic time....

Go ZAGS!

DixieZag
05-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Just to be clear, I didn't call anyone there "dumb" and I said it very friendly as it "that was kind of dumb" but wasn't in any way mean-spirited about it. I have a lot of respect for the people down there, and have said that for years.

This one is a head scratcher b/c it would seem they could at least store it (b/c timing issues are a big part) while trying to figure out all the other stuff. BTW - I can't see any legal issues with logo or whatever b/c it would all belong to Gonzaga to do as Gonzaga sees fit. It's not like clothing where they bring in a sponsor like Nike, or an advertising or media thing where IMG might play a role. I don't know much more than that. If a problem came about b/c of the manufacturer needing it back, then it wouldn't be hard to just state that. "It wasn't up to us. We had to." - - - So dunno.

I'm sure someone other than me, one who actually knows something, can contribute. I'm just giving the answer I got. They were all very nice.

Bing
05-20-2015, 11:08 AM
They managed to sell shards of a shattered Spokane Arena backboard ... even though Casey missed the dunk and the Zags lost the game.

I am thinking they were asleep at the wheel this time.

DADoZAG
05-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Hey Dix, you've posted enough for me to know how true your heart is to Gonzaga. No need to explain, at least from my perspective.

Legal concerns I expressed where for the contractor doing the demo, not the school. (S)He is (or was) in possession of the flooring and the contract to do the work may prevent profit from anything relating back to the school/program. Sorry for not being clear.

Go ZAGS!

ETA: I'll bet there are several board members trying to find out who did the demo..... That's as funny a mental picture as Angelo most likely has from this whole thread.

Cavebear33
05-20-2015, 12:04 PM
When Central Valley High took down their old gym at the time the new school was built, the school district kept the cut up pieces of the old floor at the district headquarters. I got one, and had all the living coaches of both the boys and girls teams that played there over the years autograph it. I see Gonzaga Prep did something similar. Too bad GU couldn't have done that as well. There would have been a much bigger demand than any high school floor remnant would bring.

hondo
05-20-2015, 01:58 PM
I am just a bit curious as to why a quality hardwood floor would have to be replaced after only 10 years.

Birddog
05-20-2015, 02:55 PM
It's refreshing to see that this board has gone beyond second guessing recruiting, scheduling, in game strategy, etc. Lots of dynamics at work here.

EuroZag2010
05-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Umm...I'm gonna need someone to go raid that dumpster for me...

I got two nice pieces.... I wonder how much they'll sell on the black market lol.. Just kidding id never sell it. It's sad they only had a week to rip the floor out and put a new floor in because of summer camps and Gonzaga hosting high school graduations. The floor it's self was in pretty bad shape... The paint was chipping and the floor was too. It's unfortunate they couldn't do more with the scraps then just throwing it away.

DixieZag
05-20-2015, 03:57 PM
It's refreshing to see that this board has gone beyond second guessing recruiting, scheduling, in game strategy, etc. Lots of dynamics at work here.

If you think this site is disjointed our silly, I'd invite you to walk face first into a SEC or Big 12 football board some time.

zagporvida
05-21-2015, 11:37 AM
I just graduated on that floor just over a week ago, if I had known they were going to dispose of it I would have taken some tools to get a piece!!!

TexasZagFan
05-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Are you sure it's maple?
I'd prefer a nice piece of ash 😀

Watch it sport! You're treading close to the double entendre danger zone. Lol

TexasZagFan
05-21-2015, 12:25 PM
To Reno & others in ROTC during 75-77: this is an even bigger fiasco than Colonel Duffy and his seat cushions.

lolololololol

I still have one in the garage. EPA wouldn't let it near a landfill.

Zagceo
08-25-2015, 02:23 PM
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Old-Kennel-court2003_1_zpscu6j40ic.jpg

I took this August 31, 2004 Season ticket holders picking seats. Anyone have pics of new court?

SageOfZagville
08-25-2015, 04:07 PM
In the tread about Killian Tillie, on the last page are some tweets from him. In one of the Tweets he has a picture of the new floor. You can tell it is the new floor because of the two restricted areas under the basket. Check it out.

Zagceo
08-25-2015, 05:41 PM
THX sage

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Oldnew-court2003_zpsmnh5sazz.png

HenneZag
08-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Also it says ZAGS now at the baseline, a cool change.

GrizZAG
08-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Do you suppose some will still say Zogs :)

Zagceo
08-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Looks like 3 point line went from white to black