PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Coming to Hoopfest

ZagNative
05-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Wow. This should be very cool! From KXLY (http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/espn-coming-to-hoopfest/32989330)

SPOKANE, Wash. -

Hoopfest is going to be getting some serious attention this year, as ESPN has announced it will be broadcasting live from the event.

Every year during the last weekend of June more than 7,000 teams descend on Spokane to face off on 456 courts spanning 42 city blocks in the largest three on three street basketball tournament in the world and now it appears the worldwide leader in sports finally realized that Hoopfest is kind of a big deal.

Hoopfest executive director Matt Santangelo says they're still figuring out the details but anticipates ESPN will broadcast their weekend SportsCenter live from downtown.

“There's so much awesome stories, so much great content, so many great teams, so many great volunteers to be able to highlight during our weekend event, that you think they'll just kind of mark it and be like OK, that's part of the annual calendar,” Santangelo said.

So far, the event is about 80 percent full, which means their still time to get in on the action.

“So almost all divisions still have room, so we'll still take teams here over the next couple of weeks,” Santangelo said.

They also need volunteers, 3,000 of them, ranging from people helping with registration to court monitors.

“There's a lot of way to be involved but we're definitely gonna start to see more of a push around trying to get those volunteers in. Like I said without those volunteers this event doesn't take place," Santangelo said.

More changes are also in the works for the Friday before the event, including HopFest, a small beer garden featuring local craft brews, and practice courts where teams can hone their skills before the big weekend as well as on-site clinics and competitions.

“Instead of just running in and out of downtown, maybe you hang out for a little bit and kind of enjoy the energy around building towards Hoopfest," Santangelo said.

And did we mention ESPN is coming?

“If you're not gonna play this year, I mean you gotta get in this year,” he added.

webspinnre
05-12-2015, 08:10 PM
This is awesome. Big ups to Santangelo and whoever else was involved in putting this together.

DixieZag
05-12-2015, 08:34 PM
This is exciting news in so many ways.

Great exposure for Spokane as a community. Definitely during the prettiest time of year, everything blooming and warm.

They better be careful, national ESPN Sportscenter broadcasts might do nothing more than double the size of the tournament, bringing teams from all over in the next few years.

We can handle it.

And, did anyone mention? The Zags are from Spokane?

sittingon50
05-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Neil Everett in the house hyping "America's team?"

Zag_Dad
05-13-2015, 07:39 AM
This is awesome! There is NO way ESPN won't mention Gonzaga University on average once every ten minutes in each broadcast. I suspect they will show the campus as often as they show Spokane Falls. Let's hope there are a lot of high school recruits watching the broadcast and that they form a positive impression of Spokane from this coverage.

TheGonzagaFactor
05-13-2015, 09:18 AM
"So far, the event is about 80 percent full, which means their still time to get in on the action."

Wow, KXLY. Wow.

americasteam
05-13-2015, 09:43 AM
I heard Matt Santangelo being interviewed yesterday on a local Spokane radio station.

Matt said that Neil Everett from West Coast ESPN SportsCenter had texted him saying Matt should request ESPN send him. As Neil Everett is a Spokane guy, it would seem a likely possibility. Neil always requests to do the highlights of the Zag's games. His references to The Davenport, Dick's Burger's and SpokaVegas have been funny. I think he and Stan Verrett together would be awesome!

I wonder where they'd set up their SportsCenter desk? In front of the fountain? By the Elite Courts?

I have a feeling there will be a few more team entries coming in now!

TheGonzagaFactor
05-13-2015, 10:47 AM
I heard Matt Santangelo being interviewed yesterday on a local Spokane radio station.

Matt said that Neil Everett from West Coast ESPN SportsCenter had texted him saying Matt should request ESPN send him. As Neil Everett is a Spokane guy, it would seem a likely possibility. Neil always requests to do the highlights of the Zag's games. His references to The Davenport, Dick's Burger's and SpokaVegas have been funny. I think he and Stan Verrett together would be awesome!

I wonder where they'd set up their SportsCenter desk? In front of the fountain? By the Elite Courts?

I have a feeling there will be a few more team entries coming in now!

I think they'd set up right by Center Court and have field reporters with cameras running around. Otherwise, they'd set up inside somewhere with a good view of one or multiple busy streets. Keep in mind they will need room around their setup as they aren't just going to set these anchors out in 100 degree weather, in suits, for 12 hours per day. There will need to be abundant shade and room for trucks/vehicles right by their set if it's outside at ground level.

My guess is a 2nd/3rd story office or something will be commondeered for the weekend set. A skywalk over a downtown street would be a nice location.

The sure thing is that ESPN will dictate where they set up camp. There won't be much negotiation between Santangelo and ESPN on that topic.

roxdoc
05-13-2015, 10:59 AM
They ought to talk to Walt Worthy about a place in the new Davenport Grand. They have a big rooftop (2nd story) patio area overlooking the park and a skywalk too. Should be just ready to open by then.

GrizZAG
05-13-2015, 01:48 PM
This is exciting news in so many ways.

Great exposure for Spokane as a community. Definitely during the prettiest time of year, everything blooming and warm.

They better be careful, national ESPN Sportscenter broadcasts might do nothing more than double the size of the tournament, bringing teams from all over in the next few years.

We can handle it.

And, did anyone mention? The Zags are from Spokane?

You know, I wonder what all those Hooters girls and Sea Gals are doing on that weekend? Might be good recruiting moment on a big stage if you know what I mean. :)

ProjectMKUltra5
05-13-2015, 05:45 PM
As somebody who has lived in Spokane and it's surrounding areas for 99% of my life, this makes me beyond happy. Hoopfest and the community deserve this.

jbslicer
05-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Mike and Mike would be huge.

DixieZag
05-14-2015, 07:07 AM
His references to The Davenport, Dick's Burger's and SpokaVegas have been funny. I think he and Stan Verrett together would be awesome!

Can't remember when it was but he did one that showed some pushing and shoving, and said something about "But then they just all wet to Dicks and got Whammys so it was good."