PDA

View Full Version : Vols at the Battle in Seattle

ZagNative
05-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Per this story (http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Tennessee-Vols-finalizing-plans-to-play-Gonzaga-Bulldogs-37244988):

ATLANTA — New Tennessee basketball coach Rick Barnes said Tuesday night that the Vols are finalizing plans to play a neutral-site series with Gonzaga that will include a game in Nashville, Tenn.

Barnes said Tennessee is planning to travel to Seattle in December to take on the Bulldogs as part of their annual Battle in Seattle tournament, and the Zags will “return it back to Nashville.”

“We’re going to do that,” Barnes said during the Vols’ Big Orange Caravan stop at the College Football Hall of Fame in downtown Atlanta. “We’re working out the deal with Gonzaga. … Again, this year we’ll have to go there.

“And, again, (Gonzaga coach) Mark Few, who I have great respect for, and we’ve known each other. We’ve scrimmaged them every year that I was at Texas, once we were able to start scrimmaging. We’ve either met in Denver or Arizona. We’ve met somewhere and scrimmaged, and now that we’re further apart, we’re going to play.

“He has a tournament up there in Seattle — Battle in Seattle. I think it’s around (December) 20th. They’ll return it back to Nashville.”

MDABE80
05-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Good game. Thanks for posting this new information!

RenoZag
05-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Too bad they can't make it a double header. . .with another Washington school taking on a national program in the warm-up game. . .

Idahomie
05-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Oh happy day!!! It's official, Zags are coming down to Nashville! I can't wait to see a bunch of Gonzaga fans down here for the game. Pre game at my house!

seacatfan
05-12-2015, 07:05 PM
First repeat opponent at the BIS?

gonzagafan62
05-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Love it. 9 big name teams on OOC so far. Pitt, Bahamas, SMU (very good team that's why they're included) UCLA, Arizona, Tennessee, Washington state. All are BCS teams or a very good team. Nice work. I am excited about the schedule. Time to fill the cracks and the Bahamas opening roun game. Let's go

sittingon50
05-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Too bad they can't make it a double header. . .with another Washington school taking on a national program in the warm-up game. . .

Who do you think Eastern could get, Reno?

;)

Birddog
05-13-2015, 03:33 AM

;)

Probably not Indiana

Zag_Dad
05-13-2015, 07:22 AM
Probably not Indiana

:lmao:

TexasZagFan
05-13-2015, 09:35 AM

;)

You got me. I was thinking of WSU...

Zagger
05-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Good news! BIS here I come :-)

zagamatic
05-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeettt!

gbnyba17
05-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Is anyone else like me and still not overly excited for this opponent for BIS? Sure, it's a vast improvement from the teams we've played the last couple years. That said, I'm still longing for the days of UConn, AZ, etc... I KNOW scheduling is a tough deal and I'm probably just being picky, but as someone who goes to this game every year I still wouldn't call myself pumped about Tennessee.

gonzagafan62
05-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Is anyone else like me and still not overly excited for this opponent for BIS? Sure, it's a vast improvement from the teams we've played the last couple years. That said, I'm still longing for the days of UConn, AZ, etc... I KNOW scheduling is a tough deal and I'm probably just being picky, but as someone who goes to this game every year I still wouldn't call myself pumped about Tennessee.

Honestly neither am I gbnyba. But it does give us someone who has made a run at the tournament before and has done a great job of being highly rated to start each season. I see this as a good grade on 2016-17 schedule more than I would this year. The recruiting doesn't come nearly overnight but I do expect things to be good for Rocky Top in two years. The good about this years BIS is that we at least get a main brand team on the schedule. That's always good for publicity.

seacatfan
05-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Nope, you're not the only one. They are a BCS conference team but were quite mediocre as far as I know last year and I don't think expectations are significantly different for next year. They were fairly highly regarded the last time they appeared in Seattle for the BIS, but that was a long time ago, different coach (Pearl), different era. The opponents really haven't been much to get excited about for quite a while. K State was fairly good. It was a bit of an off year for Arizona when they appeared. I don't think Illinois was a great team when they were in the BIS, certainly nothing like their team that was a National runner up in '05. Was UConn the last really good team to appear as a BIS opponent?

seacatfan
05-15-2015, 12:58 PM
So a little googling makes it appear that I was correct. UConn was ranked #2 at the time in 2008. Tennessee was #11 the year before. Since that '08 game, Illinois (#20) in 2010 has been the only ranked team. Missouri was #3 for the first game in '03. I went to every game from '03 thru '12 except for the 2nd year (UMass). I've skipped the last 2 and might not go to this next one either. It's nice to get a chance to see a live GU game in the Seattle area, but I'm still gonna pick and choose based on opponent.

seacatfan
05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Tennessee was 16-16 overall last year and only 7-11 in the SEC.

Zaggin' it
05-15-2015, 01:19 PM
I've skipped the last 2 and might not go to this next one either. It's nice to get a chance to see a live GU game in the Seattle area, but I'm still gonna pick and choose based on opponent.

Please deliver Duke vs. Gonzaga annually to be played in my driveway hoop at a date and time that amuse me. Good grief.

seacatfan
05-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Please deliver Duke vs. Gonzaga annually to be played in my driveway hoop at a date and time that amuse me. Good grief.

Am I under any obligation to attend the game? The last 2 were horrible games even watching on TV, I'm glad I didn't shell out $ to watch it in person.

gonzagafan62
05-15-2015, 01:25 PM
So a little googling makes it appear that I was correct. UConn was ranked #2 at the time in 2008. Tennessee was #11 the year before. Since that '08 game, Illinois (#20) in 2010 has been the only ranked team. Missouri was #3 for the first game in '03. I went to every game from '03 thru '12 except for the 2nd year (UMass). I've skipped the last 2 and might not go to this next one either. It's nice to get a chance to see a live GU game in the Seattle area, but I'm still gonna pick and choose based on opponent.

I would die just to see Gonzaga vs NJIT to be played in St. Louis so I can finally go to just ONE game. JUST ONE!

Lol. I am not yelling at you btw, I am just telling you my opinion. Ill take any game one hour away from me, and I would go no matter the opponent.

seacatfan
05-15-2015, 01:32 PM
I would die just to see Gonzaga vs NJIT to be played in St. Louis so I can finally go to just ONE game. JUST ONE!

Lol. I am not yelling at you btw, I am just telling you my opinion. Ill take any game one hour away from me, and I would go no matter the opponent.

I hear you. But if they played a game in St. Louis against a good opponent 10 years in a row, and then started playing NJIT level teams, you might not be as excited about the opportunity.

I did just plunk down quite a bit of cash for 1st and 2nd round Tourney games at Key Arena in March, and was quite happy to be there rooting on the Zags.

75Zag
05-15-2015, 06:22 PM
The first time GU played Tenn at BIS was a great event. We ran into dozens of Tenn fans at the Market and near our hotel and then rode the monorail to Seattle Center sitting across from the parents of the then-current Tenn. star power forward.
Will wait to see how Tenn is rated / ranked before making a purchase decision this year, but sounds like a much better opponent than the last two.

Go Bulldogs!

Zaggin' it
05-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Will wait to see how Tenn is rated / ranked before making a purchase decision this year, but sounds like a much better opponent than the last two.

Go Bulldogs!

Also, I think Gonzaga will be there. Buying your tickets to see "your" team based on the opponent seems backwards.

75Zag
05-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Also, I think Gonzaga will be there. Buying your tickets to see "your" team based on the opponent seems backwards.

I understand your sentiment, but seeing GU play against A+++ opposition is pretty much my goal at this point. The Bahamas event looks to be pretty competitive, and I might save my money for that. But Seattle is sounding good as well.

Go Bulldogs!

RenoZag
12-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing the Zags Saturday night. Mrs. RZ gave me an extended hall-pass for the weekend. . .

SteelZag
12-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Looking forward to seeing the Zags Saturday night. Mrs. RZ gave me an extended hall-pass for the weekend. . .

Enjoy. Could you introduce her to my wife.

ZagsGoZags
12-15-2015, 04:34 PM

I felt the same way you do about Pitt, A&M (ranked 26 I think when we played them) and UCLA
all of these teams were 'beneath' an elite team like us, right?
How about a close game, is that what you seek, like against WSU or Montana? We might get a close game from Tennessee this year, but you probably feel they are so far beneath us it is not worth good money to take a chance on that, even though you would get the see the zags in action in person.
Me too, Nope, the only teams worth paying good money to see the zags are when they play Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. In fact, now that I see the powerful logic in this viewpoint, as a loyal zag fan, it isn't worth my time to see my zags play any team on TV, that isn't ranked top 15 or better. As a Seattle resident let's not pay money to support the zags anymore, unless they get elite teams here. That is the best way to get the zags to travel to my home town. sarcasm included. Everyone has to be a zag fan in their own way, but some ways are more admirable than others IMO.

RenoZag
12-15-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure i will have the chance to attend the WCC tourney in March so this may be my only chance to watch them in person. The other BIS I attended happened to be against Tenn when Bruce Pearl was their fearless leader. Zags lost that one to the # 11 Vols 82 -72. Hoping for a better outcome on this go-round

Zagger
12-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Neat to see older threads revitalized. Said in May I was going. Headed out from Spokane via road @ 0600 on Saturday. 6 of us: 3 Zags, a Coug & 2 Huskies! It was a NIGHTMARE sitting w/ the same 2 Huskies during the Apple Cup. I still cringe thinking about that game! Back on topic .... I fully believe we'll see the Zags kick some Vole butt. My prediction - Zags 90 - Tenn 75. Go Zags!

seacatfan
12-15-2015, 05:44 PM
I felt the same way you do about Pitt, A&M (ranked 26 I think when we played them) and UCLA
How about a close game, is that what you seek, like against WSU or Montana? We might get a close game from Tennessee this year, but you probably feel they are so far beneath us it is not worth good money to take a chance on that, even though you would get the see the zags in action in person.
Me too, Nope, the only teams worth paying good money to see the zags are when they play Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. In fact, now that I see the powerful logic in this viewpoint, as a loyal zag fan, it isn't worth my time to see my zags play any team on TV, that isn't ranked top 15 or better. As a Seattle resident let's not pay money to support the zags anymore, unless they get elite teams here. That is the best way to get the zags to travel to my home town. sarcasm included. Everyone has to be a zag fan in their own way, but some ways are more admirable than others IMO.

You dug up my post from more than 6 months ago to give me crap about it? Sorry, I believe the statute of limitations has expired.

LouisianaZag
12-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Oh happy day!!! It's official, Zags are coming down to Nashville! I can't wait to see a bunch of Gonzaga fans down here for the game. Pre game at my house!

I have been to see them play in Memphis twice, and Houston. Paid to much to see them play SMU in Feb. in Dallas and now planning to be in Nashville. Cant wait to see Where March Madness will have them. Go Zags

ProjectMKUltra5
12-15-2015, 06:26 PM

And you guys think I'm arrogant. Do you critique how everyone spends their hard earned money or is that just reserved for other Zag fans?

Hoopaholic
12-15-2015, 07:52 PM
we have a suite and excited to have the family together to see our beloved zags

willandi
12-15-2015, 08:29 PM
we have a suite and excited to have the family together to see our beloved zags

Suite!...I mean Sweet!

ZagsGoZags
12-15-2015, 08:40 PM
You dug up my post from more than 6 months ago to give me crap about it? Sorry, I believe the statute of limitations has expired.

sorry, seacat
I owe you an apology - I love your posts, and I got up on the wrong side of bed or something ...
I didn't even notice your post was from long ago,
and you should attend the games you want to in person, and me, the same.
I get caught up in trying to see the zags in person, and in a reactionary moment think everyone should see it my way

seacatfan
12-15-2015, 08:58 PM
sorry, seacat
I owe you an apology - I love your posts, and I got up on the wrong side of bed or something ...
I didn't even notice your post was from long ago,
and you should attend the games you want to in person, and me, the same.
I get caught up in trying to see the zags in person, and in a reactionary moment think everyone should see it my way

Thanks. We're good. I was at the 1st and 2nd round games at Key Arena last March and had a great time, might not make it to the Battle in Seattle this year though. Hope everyone that is there has fun.

zagzilla
12-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Been to every BIS game and gonna be there again this Saturday with a posse of 12. Last time we played Tennessee at the Key, their guards pressed and trapped and hand checked Pargo and Bouldin. Totally disrupted them.

We wound up losing 7 games that year including the WCC toruney final. As a result we got shipped to NC to play Davidson. We all know the rest of that story.

ZZ

zagsfanforlife
12-16-2015, 09:09 AM
The way we are playing these days.. should be a good game saturday

willandi
12-17-2015, 09:37 AM
Would Zag fans rather see a top 20 opponent in the BIS, and lose the game, or a D1 school, especially from a 'power' conference, and win?

seacatfan
12-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Would Zag fans rather see a top 20 opponent in the BIS, and lose the game, or a D1 school, especially from a 'power' conference, and win?

Why not a top 20 opponent AND win the game?

willandi
12-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Why not a top 20 opponent AND win the game?

Right...why not beat a number 1? The question was...which would you rather see?

seacatfan
12-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Right...why not beat a number 1? The question was...which would you rather see?

Well of course I'd rather see Gonzaga win than lose. South Alabama and Cal Poly were really uninspiring opponents, and Zags didn't play very well in either game. I don't know about in person, but on TV those games were dismal. I remember BIS losses over the years like Illinois, Tennessee and Nevada weren't a whole lot of fun to attend. The UConn game was really exciting, but unfortunately didn't end the way I was hoping (shoulda won that in regulation, but for boneheaded turnovers). The first game against Mizzou was awesome. Okie State was fun too, especially "the shot" from Ammo to win it. Beat downs against Arizona and Kansas St. were good as well. Davidson was a weird one, shootout against an outmatched opponent, just couldn't quite put them away until the end. I didn't go to the UMass game, honestly can't remember anything about it other than the Zags won. Opponents have been all over the board, as has the Zags' performance. I'd say ideal is to see the Zags play well against a good opponent.

willandi
12-17-2015, 11:07 AM
The premise came from, on my drive to work this week, KGA 1510 on your AM radio dial, has been playing snippets about past BIS games. It seems that most of the ranked opponents have come back and beaten the Zags. With the complaining about quality of opponents, it created my question.

It would be my preference to have the Zags beat a ranked opponent in the BIS every year. I will watch the games on TV whether the opponent is ranked or a much lower school, and I will be happy to watch the Zags, especially if they win.

That was why I asked the question. Would you rather have them play a ranked opponent or a lower school and win? I would prefer to see them win.

Bogozags
12-17-2015, 01:04 PM
The premise came from, on my drive to work this week, KGA 1510 on your AM radio dial, has been playing snippets about past BIS games. It seems that most of the ranked opponents have come back and beaten the Zags. With the complaining about quality of opponents, it created my question.

It would be my preference to have the Zags beat a ranked opponent in the BIS every year. I will watch the games on TV whether the opponent is ranked or a much lower school, and I will be happy to watch the Zags, especially if they win.

That was why I asked the question. Would you rather have them play a ranked opponent or a lower school and win? I would prefer to see them win.

+1

MDABE80
12-17-2015, 02:39 PM
I still owe someone on this board $150 for the Georgia game in Las Vegas from about 7 years ago. And there's that. ;)
I agree that a bigger game with a ranked opponent would be nice for BIS every year. Trouble is, who can predict that some team will be ranked?

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Since the thread has expanded beyond the Vols to who we would like to see Zags play in the Battle in Seattle:

I say Georgetown University....the original G.U....Bulldogs v Bulldogs.....Jesuit vs Jesuit.

If the Hoyas come play the Zags in Seattle in return for a Zags vs Hoyas in the Verizon Center in D.C. game the following season, I'll definitely get to DC for that game. Great recruiting area too for Zags to make inroads in

bartruff1
12-17-2015, 04:10 PM
I would prefer to see them play the very best opponent they can get....win or lose.....the top ten or fifteen ranked teams are not hard to predict.....

gu03alum
12-17-2015, 06:53 PM
I would prefer to see them play the very best opponent they can get....win or lose.....the top ten or fifteen ranked teams are not hard to predict.....

Bart, are you going to the game?

Zagdawg
12-18-2015, 07:56 AM
For the drivers ---Check for updates online---safe travels.

Snoqualmie--

TEMPERATURE:
24ºF / -4ºC
ELEVATION:
3022 ft / 921 m
RESTRICTIONS EASTBOUND:
Pass Closed

RESTRICTIONS WESTBOUND:
Chains required on all vehicles except all wheel drive, Oversize Vehicles Prohibited.

CONDITIONS:
Compact snow and ice on the roadway. I-90 Eastbound at milepost 47 closed, 14 miles east of North Bend to clear spun out vehicle near the summit. Closure is expect to last a few hours.
WEATHER:
Snowing

Updated: Friday December 18, 2015 8:41 AM

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/

jazzdelmar
12-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Ahhh, Snoqualmie in December. Been there, done that.

gu03alum
12-18-2015, 08:19 AM
For the drivers ---Check for updates online---safe travels.

Snoqualmie--

TEMPERATURE:
24ºF / -4ºC
ELEVATION:
3022 ft / 921 m
RESTRICTIONS EASTBOUND:
Pass Closed

RESTRICTIONS WESTBOUND:
Chains required on all vehicles except all wheel drive, Oversize Vehicles Prohibited.

CONDITIONS:
Compact snow and ice on the roadway. I-90 Eastbound at milepost 47 closed, 14 miles east of North Bend to clear spun out vehicle near the summit. Closure is expect to last a few hours.
WEATHER:
Snowing

Updated: Friday December 18, 2015 8:41 AM

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/

That sucks, I'm heading to Spokane on Sunday.

Saturday Night - Snow showers likely, mainly after 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 25. South wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Sunday - Snow. High near 31. South wind 8 to 11 mph becoming west in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

bartruff1
12-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Bart, are you going to the game?

Nope.....TV is fine for me.... I have a bad case of tinnitus so I have to avoid loud environments ... in any case I prefer to watch the games on TV for a variety of reasons..

seacatfan
12-18-2015, 10:06 AM
I'm fairly surprised to see this game has been relegated to ESPNU, which fortunately I get. What's with it not being on ESPN or ESPN2?

Zagdawg
12-18-2015, 11:18 AM
http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121815aaa.html

willandi
12-18-2015, 12:47 PM
http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121815aaa.html

Dish also shows it on ESPNU. I have set my DVR, even though I will be home. I probably will stop the timer, but it is one way of reserving my slot in the TV que.

Zagdawg
12-18-2015, 05:01 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2015/dec/18/zags-vols-meet-seattle/

Zagdawg
12-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Hoping that everyone gets back safe---(and brought chains or has all wheel drive)

Snoqualmie

Pass Report
TEMPERATURE:
24ºF / -4ºC
ELEVATION:
3022 ft / 921 m
RESTRICTIONS EASTBOUND:

RESTRICTIONS WESTBOUND:

CONDITIONS:
Compact snow and slush on the roadway
WEATHER:
Snowing hard

Updated: Sunday December 20, 2015 8:05 AM

Ezag
12-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Nope.....TV is fine for me.... I have a bad case of tinnitus so I have to avoid loud environments ... in any case I prefer to watch the games on TV for a variety of reasons..

I feel for you man! I have been dealing with tinnitus and hyperacusis since 2012 and it is not a fun condition to have.