PDA

View Full Version : Players that need to step up

sittingon50
05-08-2015, 04:02 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2455729-one-player-college-basketballs-top-contenders-need-to-step-up-in-2015-16/page/11

DixieZag
05-08-2015, 05:02 PM
That was the guy I was going to guess before reading the article.

The thing is, I really think Drainginis can do more. I have been sort of hesitant about the talk of bringing in some sort of wing/2 guard. It would have to be one very special player to get a better all-round person that KD.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Entering his fifth year in the program, what makes you believe there's more behind the curtain? He is a solid role player, and that's a valuable piece. It's misplaced to hope for more. There are a handful of other players with more upside.

gonzagafan62
05-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Entering his fifth year in the program, what makes you believe there's more behind the curtain? He is a solid role player, and that's a valuable piece. It's misplaced to hope for more. There are a handful of other players with more upside.

Well dower was the same right? 5th year nice role player? I know what you mean though. It's tough to really know what he would bring as a starter ... We know he's going to be much like hart with a better offensive game. But the rest is a huge question mark. Tough to know expectations yet. Kinda like the 2 guard whoever ends up playing it. I lean towards pessimistic at this point. Not that I don't think he won't do great, just those two spits are the weakest part of the team. We will see. Go zags

DixieZag
05-09-2015, 08:11 AM

I'm not really even hoping for "more from his game," so much as more use of him. You know where I think he should fit in the line-ups, we can't get into that, but I believe his defense, length, rebounding and getting to the rim should be on the floor a lot. For that spot on the team, the 2/3 hybrid, I think we'd have a hard time finding a better player. It wouldn't be impossible, but I think it would be hard.

Vanzagger
05-09-2015, 02:53 PM
I'd take 3 of him

HillBillyZag
05-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Look, many of those you're drooling over have not played one minute in a Gonzaga Uniform. Dranginis has played some damn good basketball since he has been here and arguably could have started for at least three Division One Programs within Fifty miles of Spokane. If he does not get a legitimate shot at a starting position as a Senior?, it's just bravo sierra.

Zagdawg
05-09-2015, 04:17 PM
So many fans get all wound up about who starts----its who is in the ball game when the game is on the line that matters. Dranginis will get plenty of run this year as will many of our other guards. Its not an all or nothing situation -- everyone who earns time on the floor will get their opportunity to contribute.

cjm720
05-09-2015, 04:41 PM
If KD was on St. Mary's, he'd be in the discussion for the all conference team.

MDABE80
05-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Kyle is a great athlete and a better kid. He showed us how good he can be. He'll get his minutes. Tough, tall with length. And plays tenacious defense.
This year it would be nice if he regained his HS shooting from distance.As I recall, he was a 26 PPG in Idaho.

TheZagPhish
05-09-2015, 05:52 PM
KD plays the game that's needed to win, and he can do about seventy things out there. Color me satisfied.

GrizZAG
05-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Look, many of those you're drooling over have not played one minute in a Gonzaga Uniform. Dranginis has played some damn good basketball since he has been here and arguably could have started for at least three Division One Programs within Fifty miles of Spokane. If he does not get a legitimate shot at a starting position as a Senior?, it's just bravo sierra.

Yep, agree
Always love his game, he brings it

kyle dixon
05-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Yep. I need to put in the time. Gotta be in shape for November.

Bogozags
05-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Kyle is a great athlete and a better kid. He showed us how good he can be. He'll get his minutes. Tough, tall with length. And plays tenacious defense.
This year it would be nice if he regained his HS shooting from distance.As I recall, he was a 26 PPG in Idaho.

Couldn't agree more...there are too many cynics and naysayers on this board...KD can only do what Coach Few wants him to do...when he got in the game it was usually for BWes and there were already three scorers on the floor...

I remember a game two years ago where KD lite it up...scoring over 30pts in that game...he was the floor leader in that game and played with great confidence.

I believe, IF Coach Few gives him the green light that he will look to score more than his previous three years...he has more experience then anyone in the backcourt and IMO he will play a much bigger role this season than his previous three.

He will still be the third or fourth option due to KW and PK but he will be a handful for each opponent...as Doc stated, he is quick, tall and lengthy and knows how to win...

PFzag
05-11-2015, 06:21 AM
I love KD and his game. The one thing he could improve upon that would really help his game, and the team overall, is his outside shot. He's not a bad shooter now, just not a great one. If he can be a 35-40% 3 pt shooter, his numbers would take a big leap.

It's funny because when we recruited him I worried about his defense and athleticism, and thought the one thing he would be able to do for sure was hit threes. It turns out I'm an idiot, because he is a great defender/rebounder and only an average shooter.

zagfan24
05-11-2015, 06:47 AM
It's funny because when we recruited him I worried about his defense and athleticism, and thought the one thing he would be able to do for sure was hit threes. It turns out I'm an idiot, because he is a great defender/rebounder and only an average shooter.

I do think it's easier to rebound and play tough defense in limited minutes than it is to consistently hit outside shots. I'm hoping that Kyle's outside shooting will improve quite a bit just by nature of getting more playing time this year. Regardless, I love his contributions and will be anxious to see him shine in his senior season.

roxdoc
05-11-2015, 07:14 AM
KD is a very hard worker when he is on the court. Strong defense takes it out of you and IMHO reduces our offensive output. Think of Gary Bell Jr. Same situation. Impossible to maintain that intensity for 40 minutes - thats why KD combo with BW was a great fit.

BULLDOG#1
05-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Should read: "Players finally given the opportunity to step up"

KD is solid in every aspect of the game. I hope he drops the 'swiss knife' or 'glue guy' monikers and becomes as a leader and star.

Even with the bigs the zags have next year, KD could be a 10 pt, 5 rb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 1 bl, per game guy on a 30 win team... that would make him more than just a stat-stuffer.

mgadfly
05-11-2015, 08:44 AM
I want KD to do pretty much what he has done, just more of it.

Good defense.
How many of our players, that played in over 6% of our team minutes, averaged more than 2% blocks and 2% steals per ken pomeroy? 1 guy. KD.

Good offense.
119.7 Offensive efficiency rating. Good for third on our team behind Wiltjer and Pangos.

Offensive Rebounding.
7.1%. Fourth on the team behind Karno Sabonis and Nunez.

When you look at his numbers, he's been an average three point shooter, but pretty good everywhere else. Same efficiency while getting 65% of available minutes rather than 45% and increasing % of available shots from 12% to 16 or 17% would be fantastic.

Pure
05-11-2015, 09:09 AM
I think STEP UP is the wrong verbiage. He consistently steps up and has done a great job in his role. I would say he should get ready for an expanded role next year. I look forward to seeing him accept the challenge.

gonzagacfen
05-11-2015, 10:02 AM
The only question mark regarding Dranginis is whether he will shoulder a significant offensive load.

It's already expected that he will play over 20 mpg, perhaps close to 30, and that he will provide so many intangibles to further the team (rebounding out of position, stingy defense with deflections, steals, & blocks, and a selfless passing game).

With what little we have seen him trying to score, Dranginis does drive to the hoop quite well and has a very effective floater. Would like to see him become more consistent from 3

SteelZag
05-11-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't think Kyle will have any problems with added minutes. As a sophomore, while filling in for GBJ and given the opportunity to start, Kyle played admirably. He shot 55% from the field and 37% from 3. He chalked up 4.9 rpg and 4.1 apg. I honestly don't know what more may be expected of Kyle. When combined with his defense, I don't know how he can be kept off the floor.

I'm looking forward to more KD.

DADoZAG
05-11-2015, 11:14 AM
At the end of the season, KD was getting minutes over BWes. Or it at least seemed that way. If so, staff must be seeing something.

When "Knock Down" first arrived, I posted a question about his outside shot, noting it looked like he "flared" his right hand on his follow through. If he's a bit sloppy in his mechanics, the extra work needed to play D1 defense might wear on him enough to reduce his long range proficiency. Thus his dropped percentage since high school.

'Agree with most that Kyle would have been a starter and maybe even one of the stars in the WCC if he weren't a ZAG, and think KD will be a huge piece for the ZAGS next year as this year's redshirt gets his feet wet.

Don't think he needs to step up, just think he will.

Go ZAGS!

gonzagafan62
05-11-2015, 11:38 AM
At the end of the season, KD was getting minutes over BWes. Or it at least seemed that way. If so, staff must be seeing something.

When "Knock Down" first arrived, I posted a question about his outside shot, noting it looked like he "flared" his right hand on his follow through. If he's a bit sloppy in his mechanics, the extra work needed to play D1 defense might wear on him enough to reduce his long range proficiency. Thus his dropped percentage since high school.

'Agree with most that Kyle would have been a starter and maybe even one of the stars in the WCC if he weren't a ZAG, and think KD will be a huge piece for the ZAGS next year as this year's redshirt gets his feet wet.

Don't think he needs to step up, just think he will.

Go ZAGS!

Thanks for this post. This end tiles the confidence that I was wondering about with draino. Love him to death. What a warrior. Some of this even I forgot. Thanks.

basketballzag
05-11-2015, 04:02 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2455729-one-player-college-basketballs-top-contenders-need-to-step-up-in-2015-16/page/11

No mention of Rem? If anyone needs to step up his game its him. He is going to be exposed in 2015 now that Connor has departed the team. Rumor has it that he will be joining the Micronesian National Team this summer in Palau to prepare for next season and his bid for the 2016 NBA draft.