• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hooray4Daye&Gray
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Oct 2008

Johnathan Williams III hoping to make decision by end of the month

Doesn't look like JWIII will be announcing anytime soon. His mom says the timeline is to decide by the end of the month, and Michigan State may be a strong contender now that Caleb Swanigan decommited.

Here's the article, from mlive.com who covers Michigan State:

"EAST LANSING -- Michigan State has lost a commitment from its top prospect for 2015, but is still in the running for the services of one of the top transfers in the market.

Missouri transfer Johnathan Williams III is still considering Michigan State as a possible destination for next season, his mother Barbara told MLive on Friday.

Barbara Williams said Spartans assistant Dane Fife called her on Thursday and to talk about her son and to say that Michigan State is still interested in his services. Williams is hoping to schedule a visit to East Lansing in the coming weeks, she said.

Gonzaga, Georgetown and SMU are Williams' other three finalists. Barbara Williams said Johnathan hopes to make a decision by the end of the month.

Williams, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound forward who averaged a team-high 11.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game last year, announced in April that he wouldn't return to Missouri for his junior season. He said shortly after that he was interested in potentially transferring to Michigan State.

He would likely have to sit out next season, per NCAA rules, and then would have two remaining seasons of eligibility.

Michigan State had a scholarship spot open on Thursday when five-star forward commit Caleb Swanigan decommitted from the program. It was previously at the full allotment of 13 scholarships for next year."
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Trending badly for GU.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

He visited Michigan State and was offered by them as a high schooler......

Comment

• basketballzag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
        He visited Michigan State and was offered by them as a high schooler......
        He is MSU bound just waiting for the formalities IMO.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Jul 2007

Yup, that's what the tea leaves are saying here at Mizzou as well.

BobZag went 0/2

Comment

• basketballzag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
            Yup, that's what the tea leaves are saying here at Mizzou as well.

BobZag went 0/2
            BobZag has been hanging out with ZagaZags too much lately because they have been on a Las Vegas roll lately with their predictions.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

he isn't zero for two yet
              we have to wait for official word ....

but odds are
              I hope we sent Tommy OVER THERE to find something if we don't get what we are hoping for from the US

I wonder if this is how we got Keita and Morninghoff (sp ?) filling schollies so none went to waste

Comment

• seacatfan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post

but odds are
                I hope we sent Tommy OVER THERE to find something if we don't get what we are hoping for from the US

I wonder if this is how we got Keita and Morninghoff (sp ?) filling schollies so none went to waste
                I've said it before. I'd really rather bank the scholies rather than search high and low for any warm body to give them away to. Why bring in a total project that's probably just going to wash out in a year or two? Pointless. Obviously IF they can find a player they really want that fits in, this late in the signing period, go for it. But if not, I just don't understand the need to try to fill up all the available scholies.

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                  Obviously IF they can find a player they really want that fits in, this late in the signing period, go for it. But if not, I just don't understand the need to try to fill up all the available scholies.
                  Me, neither.

Especially when there are already lingering questions hanging over who feels what about playing time coming from where.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post

but odds are

That's exactly what happened. Let's hope lesson learned

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Just a thought: Our guys must work SO hard trying to corral some young kids. I bet they're exhausted only to strike out. Do they EVER merit our respect.!! I'm thinking the season beginning is almost a relief. They do such a good job. Salute to them!!

Comment

• ZagaZags
                        Banned
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                        Just a thought: Our guys must work SO hard trying to corral some young kids. I bet they're exhausted only to strike out. Do they EVER merit our respect.!! I'm thinking the season beginning is almost a relief. They do such a good job. Salute to them!!
                        +1,000 Very lucky to have this staff.

Comment

• hondo
                          Zag for Life
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                          Absolutely true and we only see a tiny fraction of the effort that goes into recruiting here. It was even harder before the run when our coaches had far less resources to work with. This weekend let us thank the wives and mothers who put up with these guys (coaches) while they are constantly pursuing scores of elusive but talented teenagers.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by hondo View Post
                            Absolutely true and we only see a tiny fraction of the effort that goes into recruiting here. It was even harder before the run when our coaches had far less resources to work with. This weekend let us thank the wives and mothers who put up with these guys (coaches) while they are constantly pursuing scores of elusive but talented teenagers.
                            Very well said.

This program owes a huge part of its lineage to a "we can make it work" recruiting effort by young Monson, Few, Grier under Fitz. The pups wanted to take recruiting to a higher level, despite budget constraints that seem draconian by even the standards at the time. And, they did make it work.

From the "We're going to Redshirt them all" proclamation in the very early 90s, just as Jeff Brown came in - those three actually did "make it work" and the program as never looked back.

There was a time recruiting was about riding around in a beater car in the bay area and not flying business class to Europe, we really should thank ALL who made it happen, including a lot of wives, mothers.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

Ummm.. nope... he isn't MSU bound. Down to Zags, SMU and G-Town... plus a possible push by KU.

Starting to like our chances a bit more unless Bill Self inserts himself... but even that might be a bit late.
                              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                              X