PDA

View Full Version : Johnathan Williams III hoping to make decision by end of the month

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-08-2015, 01:54 PM
Doesn't look like JWIII will be announcing anytime soon. His mom says the timeline is to decide by the end of the month, and Michigan State may be a strong contender now that Caleb Swanigan decommited.

Here's the article, from mlive.com who covers Michigan State:

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/05/missouri_transfer_johnathan_wi.html

"EAST LANSING -- Michigan State has lost a commitment from its top prospect for 2015, but is still in the running for the services of one of the top transfers in the market.

Missouri transfer Johnathan Williams III is still considering Michigan State as a possible destination for next season, his mother Barbara told MLive on Friday.

Barbara Williams said Spartans assistant Dane Fife called her on Thursday and to talk about her son and to say that Michigan State is still interested in his services. Williams is hoping to schedule a visit to East Lansing in the coming weeks, she said.

Gonzaga, Georgetown and SMU are Williams' other three finalists. Barbara Williams said Johnathan hopes to make a decision by the end of the month.

Williams, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound forward who averaged a team-high 11.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game last year, announced in April that he wouldn't return to Missouri for his junior season. He said shortly after that he was interested in potentially transferring to Michigan State.

He would likely have to sit out next season, per NCAA rules, and then would have two remaining seasons of eligibility.

Michigan State had a scholarship spot open on Thursday when five-star forward commit Caleb Swanigan decommitted from the program. It was previously at the full allotment of 13 scholarships for next year."

jazzdelmar
05-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Trending badly for GU.

CDC84
05-08-2015, 03:15 PM
He visited Michigan State and was offered by them as a high schooler......

basketballzag
05-08-2015, 03:53 PM
He visited Michigan State and was offered by them as a high schooler......

He is MSU bound just waiting for the formalities IMO.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Yup, that's what the tea leaves are saying here at Mizzou as well.

BobZag went 0/2

basketballzag
05-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Yup, that's what the tea leaves are saying here at Mizzou as well.

BobZag went 0/2

BobZag has been hanging out with ZagaZags too much lately because they have been on a Las Vegas roll lately with their predictions. :roll:

ZagsGoZags
05-08-2015, 05:53 PM
he isn't zero for two yet
we have to wait for official word ....

but odds are
I hope we sent Tommy OVER THERE to find something if we don't get what we are hoping for from the US

I wonder if this is how we got Keita and Morninghoff (sp ?) filling schollies so none went to waste

seacatfan
05-08-2015, 06:10 PM

but odds are
I hope we sent Tommy OVER THERE to find something if we don't get what we are hoping for from the US

I wonder if this is how we got Keita and Morninghoff (sp ?) filling schollies so none went to waste

I've said it before. I'd really rather bank the scholies rather than search high and low for any warm body to give them away to. Why bring in a total project that's probably just going to wash out in a year or two? Pointless. Obviously IF they can find a player they really want that fits in, this late in the signing period, go for it. But if not, I just don't understand the need to try to fill up all the available scholies.

DixieZag
05-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Obviously IF they can find a player they really want that fits in, this late in the signing period, go for it. But if not, I just don't understand the need to try to fill up all the available scholies.

Me, neither.

Especially when there are already lingering questions hanging over who feels what about playing time coming from where.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2015, 06:48 PM

but odds are

That's exactly what happened. Let's hope lesson learned

MDABE80
05-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Just a thought: Our guys must work SO hard trying to corral some young kids. I bet they're exhausted only to strike out. Do they EVER merit our respect.!! I'm thinking the season beginning is almost a relief. They do such a good job. Salute to them!!

ZagaZags
05-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Just a thought: Our guys must work SO hard trying to corral some young kids. I bet they're exhausted only to strike out. Do they EVER merit our respect.!! I'm thinking the season beginning is almost a relief. They do such a good job. Salute to them!!

+1,000 Very lucky to have this staff.

hondo
05-09-2015, 09:35 AM

Absolutely true and we only see a tiny fraction of the effort that goes into recruiting here. It was even harder before the run when our coaches had far less resources to work with. This weekend let us thank the wives and mothers who put up with these guys (coaches) while they are constantly pursuing scores of elusive but talented teenagers.

DixieZag
05-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Absolutely true and we only see a tiny fraction of the effort that goes into recruiting here. It was even harder before the run when our coaches had far less resources to work with. This weekend let us thank the wives and mothers who put up with these guys (coaches) while they are constantly pursuing scores of elusive but talented teenagers.

Very well said.

This program owes a huge part of its lineage to a "we can make it work" recruiting effort by young Monson, Few, Grier under Fitz. The pups wanted to take recruiting to a higher level, despite budget constraints that seem draconian by even the standards at the time. And, they did make it work.

From the "We're going to Redshirt them all" proclamation in the very early 90s, just as Jeff Brown came in - those three actually did "make it work" and the program as never looked back.

There was a time recruiting was about riding around in a beater car in the bay area and not flying business class to Europe, we really should thank ALL who made it happen, including a lot of wives, mothers.

LongIslandZagFan
05-19-2015, 12:11 PM
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Johnathan-Williams-III-focused-on-three-37352132

Ummm.. nope... he isn't MSU bound. Down to Zags, SMU and G-Town... plus a possible push by KU.

Starting to like our chances a bit more unless Bill Self inserts himself... but even that might be a bit late.

gonzagafan62
05-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Ummm.. nope... he isn't MSU bound. Down to Zags, SMU and G-Town... plus a possible push by KU.

Starting to like our chances a bit more unless Bill Self inserts himself... but even that might be a bit late.

Thanks for that LIZF. With Larry Brown at the other side, nothing is guaranteed. Still hopeful, but not counting on it.

Go zags!

Mr Vulture
05-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Well..I feel better about this now than I did before. We'll see how it plays out. Hopefully our style of play and history of developing big guys will help us in the end. I couldn't see the styles of SMU/Georgetown being more appealing but I also don't know what he is looking for in a school either.

hooter73
05-19-2015, 12:55 PM
I havent paid attention to Georgetown in a while so cant really think of their style of play right off hand but they do have the name recognition. It definitely does depend on what other factors come in to play: where he wants to live, academics, conference, wait, strike that last one, we want him to come here :D

I think our history with bigs and our need for another power forward in two years speaks for quite a bit, it just doesnt always speak for everything as we saw with Narain.

ProjectMKUltra5
05-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Well..I feel better about this now than I did before. We'll see how it plays out. Hopefully our style of play and history of developing big guys will help us in the end. I couldn't see the styles of SMU/Georgetown being more appealing but I also don't know what he is looking for in a school either.

From a basketball standpoint I think it's a great list. He'd excel at all three schools imo

Coach Crazy
05-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Interesting. I wonder why he didn't select MSU? Kinda felt like that was the most logical outcome.

gonzagafan62
05-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Interesting. I wonder why he didn't select MSU? Kinda felt like that was the most logical outcome.

Like we say here after every recruit:

A) We know nothing about the recruiting
B) We know nothing that is going on in the kids heads
C) We need this recruit, but if it doesn't turn out that we get him, we will survive anyway.

Go Zags :P

jazzdelmar
05-19-2015, 01:49 PM
GT jumped the shark last century; SMU is all Coach Brown, no cattle, and then there's the Zags. I would have lost a bet on Izzo.

gonstu
05-19-2015, 02:45 PM
eligible immediately or sit out a year?

at 6'8 does he play a 3 or 4?

thanks

gonzagafan62
05-19-2015, 02:58 PM

thanks

Sit out a year. Plays a 4 I believe is what I heard

gonstu
05-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Sit out a year. Plays a 4 I believe is what I heard

perfect. with karno, wiltjer and (maybe?) sabonis all leaving - need more bigs along w/ collins.

Edwards, Collins, Williams III - I could live with that.

Coach Crazy
05-19-2015, 03:37 PM

thanks

He's a very interesting prospect (prospective transfer). Size and length of a lighter 4, but can play the wing and the baseline like a 3, in terms of his ability to attack the rim. Also, has decent post moves and provides a very athletic, weak side shot blocking option. Also, his length in transition with guards like Josh...yeesh, rim destruction.

Mr Vulture
05-19-2015, 06:43 PM
For all of you talking about Sabonis leaving, I'd be surprised if he left after his junior year much less this year. Some are forgetting that he could already be paid in Europe, his goal was to earn a degree. Money is the least important factor IMO. He is going to most likely be an NBA player but as much as we loved his play this year, he has a lot of areas he can work on. His energy was his biggest skill last year, if he can develop a face up game he can be an NBA AllStar down the line.

hooter73
05-19-2015, 08:10 PM
For all of you talking about Sabonis leaving, I'd be surprised if he left after his junior year much less this year. Some are forgetting that he could already be paid in Europe, his goal was to earn a degree. Money is the least important factor IMO. He is going to most likely be an NBA player but as much as we loved his play this year, he has a lot of areas he can work on. His energy was his biggest skill last year, if he can develop a face up game he can be an NBA AllStar down the line.

Hes already got one, just didnt show it. Every euro big has one. Karno is just now (being allowed) to show his. The thing that Sabonis needs to develop is his awareness. If he wasnt a dang near sure bet anywhere within 6 feet of the basket, he'd be a total black hole. Hes so good at making it, it is overlooked that he forces the issue each and every time he gets the ball.

As far as JWIII, the idea of a weak side shot blocker is enough to make me gitty, let alone everything else he has in his game. Still doubt we get him but he woudl be a great addition if we did. Its rare a 3/4 really tears up the WCC, I bet he could be remembered.

ZagsObserver
05-19-2015, 08:29 PM
JWILL3 would be a huge get - much more so than some on here probably realize

DukeSilver
05-20-2015, 06:51 AM
JWILL3 would be a huge get - much more so than some on here probably realize

+1

Mr Vulture
05-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Perhaps he does have a faceup game but to this point we haven't seen it. I would imagine that we would have seen glimpses if it was effective. I would completely disagree that all Euro bigs have a faceup game also. Regardless, it wasn't a slam on Sabonis...simply an observation.

Hes already got one, just didnt show it. Every euro big has one. Karno is just now (being allowed) to show his. The thing that Sabonis needs to develop is his awareness. If he wasnt a dang near sure bet anywhere within 6 feet of the basket, he'd be a total black hole. Hes so good at making it, it is overlooked that he forces the issue each and every time he gets the ball.

As far as JWIII, the idea of a weak side shot blocker is enough to make me gitty, let alone everything else he has in his game. Still doubt we get him but he woudl be a great addition if we did. Its rare a 3/4 really tears up the WCC, I bet he could be remembered.

basketballzag
05-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Perhaps he does have a faceup game but to this point we haven't seen it. I would imagine that we would have seen glimpses if it was effective. I would completely disagree that all Euro bigs have a faceup game also. Regardless, it wasn't a slam on Sabonis...simply an observation.

I'm going out on the limb on this and predicting JW III will pick Gonzaga.

DixieZag
05-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Given the 3 he narrowed it down to, I really like our chances.

I'd never fault a guy who went to a school like Georgetown, and all that goes with it, or go to a Hall of Fame coach, but it seems like we have more to offer in terms of "all-around" picture.

It also shows me he's pretty bright. He's already making good decisions. Of those 3, tough to go wrong.

ProjectMKUltra5
05-20-2015, 01:38 PM
I feel good about it because it's a big need and there's ample opportunity for him to play. I'm not sure what SMUs situation is at forward but I know Georgetown has Isaac Copeland, a freshman they're really high on who fills a similar role then that of Williams III. Lots of minutes for him at Gonzaga though. He could play the 4 next to Collins if we go small and he can play the 3 because he can defend multiple posistions.

Not that play time is all that goes into a decision like this but it's definitely something in our favor.

gonzagafan62
05-22-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm really starting to be concerned about Kansas

HenneZag
05-22-2015, 09:30 AM
In really starting to be concerned about Kansas

Me as well. The fact that Kansas came on late and he added another visit makes me a bit nervous, although I did think he would have committed to MSU.

Seems like he enjoyed his visit to Spokane, also mentioned player development being a huge selling point and we have done very well in that department.

Williams seems like a smart guy that will weigh all of his options methodically, heck maybe he goes to Kansas and realizes that the system isn't for him and this further validates GU as his landing spot.

Either way I'm not concerned.

doctorzag
05-22-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm really starting to be concerned about Kansas

I thought he was restricted from transfering to the big 12?

realtydog
05-22-2015, 10:03 AM
also mentioned player development being a huge selling point and we have done very well in that department.

Player development ? or NBA access?

ProjectMKUltra5
05-22-2015, 10:18 AM

Mizzou lifted some of the restrictions on his transfer. He can go to a big 12 team now.

As I posted above I still fell good about our chances. Opportunity for him to have a big role on a top 10 team moving forward. We on the up and up

cggonzaga
05-22-2015, 10:18 AM
I believe you're thinking the SEC.

doctorzag
05-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Just found out Missou lifted the restiction last week. Does not sound good for us.

ProjectMKUltra5
05-22-2015, 10:21 AM
I believe you're thinking the SEC.

Damn realignment

CDC84
05-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Update from TSSF:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/5/21/8636991/zags-eyeing-key-transfer-johntahan-williams-update

jazzdelmar
05-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Update from TSSF:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/5/21/8636991/zags-eyeing-key-transfer-johntahan-williams-update

SSF seems overly optimistic. I would put GU at maybe a 33% chance now with Self coming down the backstretch. Tough to spurn a top five all time blue blood.

Mr Vulture
05-22-2015, 11:47 AM
I would put Gonzaga at a minimum of 50%...I think it's Gonzaga if he doesn't visit/commit to Kansas.

SSF seems overly optimistic. I would put GU at maybe a 33% chance now with Self coming down the backstretch. Tough to spurn a top five all time blue blood.

Bogozags
05-22-2015, 11:48 AM

My question is with which school does he get more "quality" playing time and recognition. No doubt KU is a Blue Blood; however, they have the ability to bring in 5* recruits at any position they may need. What's to say that after next season, they bring in a top 5* PF recruit, where does that leave him? If he comes to GU, he will be a starter or the first coming off the bench "IF" DS stays and plays his junior season - with DS, Edwards and incoming freshman Zach Collins, GU would again have one of the most formidable front courts in D1...decision isn't easy...KU (Blue Blood) vs GU...heck, if it's my choice, then it's an easy choice for me...

hondo
05-22-2015, 11:52 AM
As a rule the Zags do better with the decisions made by 20 or 21 year olds as opposed to 17 or 18 year olds.

jazzdelmar
05-22-2015, 12:54 PM
As a rule the Zags do better with the decisions made by 20 or 21 year olds as opposed to 17 or 18 year olds.

Really? Seems like of late we have swung and missed on a lot of putatively more mature kids

Mr Vulture
05-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Have we? Are we going to back to the bogus San Diego State stuff?

jazzdelmar
05-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Have we? Are we going to back to the bogus San Diego State stuff?

Moser, for one. And the kids back east this year.

hondo
05-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Over the long haul---M. Downs, Dan D., Kyle W., Jeff Brown, Eric Brady, B. Wesley etc. are all player the Zags could not have recruited out of high school.
Look at the guys we have gotten not the misses. If you never miss you are aiming to low.

vandalzag
05-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Over the long haul---M. Downs, Dan D., Kyle W., Jeff Brown, Eric Brady, B. Wesley etc. are all player the Zags could not have recruited out of high school.
Look at the guys we have gotten not the misses. If you never miss you are aiming to low.

Plus if we landed every recruit we went after Jazz would have nothing to focus his ultra positive energy on.

jazzdelmar
05-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Plus if we landed every recruit we went after Jazz would have nothing to focus his ultra positive energy on.

Who moved your rock?

23dpg
05-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Emotions aside, I think the Zags have done about as good as any school with transfers over the last couple of years.

Wiltjer
Wesley
Williams-Goss and maybe WilliamsIII?

Seriously, who's done better than that?

jazzdelmar
05-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Emotions aside, I think the Zags have done about as good as any school with transfers over the last couple of years.

Wiltjer
Wesley

You're right, that's WWWWonderful!

DixieZag
05-22-2015, 07:02 PM
If you never miss you are aiming to low.

Perfect.

DixieZag
05-22-2015, 07:03 PM

Wiltjer
Wesley

Cleveland? The Cavs did well.

hooter73
05-23-2015, 08:50 AM

Wiltjer
Wesley

Oregon.

23dpg
05-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Oregon.

This article is a year old but I think it demonstrates the turnstile program that Oregon has become. No thanks. Here is a snippet.

And if/when the aforementioned three leave, Altman will almost certainly have to pick up a few new guys off the transfer market yet again. In four years, Oregon is easily averaging more than 10 transfer transactions per. Astoundingly high.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24554380/dana-altman-era-at-oregon-overloaded-with-transfers-here-are-all-of-them

btzag
05-23-2015, 11:19 AM
how does Oregon stay eligible with APR? Do transfers not count?

webspinnre
05-23-2015, 03:04 PM
how does Oregon stay eligible with APR? Do transfers not count?

As long as they leave in good academic standing.

maynard g krebs
05-23-2015, 04:36 PM
This article is a year old but I think it demonstrates the turnstile program that Oregon has become. No thanks. Here is a snippet.

And if/when the aforementioned three leave, Altman will almost certainly have to pick up a few new guys off the transfer market yet again. In four years, Oregon is easily averaging more than 10 transfer transactions per. Astoundingly high.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24554380/dana-altman-era-at-oregon-overloaded-with-transfers-here-are-all-of-them

As you said, it's a year old, and out of context/ misleading as written/linked, as of now. A couple things: that year-old list includes at least a half dozen walkons, both in and out. Also, Ernie's recruits left almost to a player, not uncommon when a new coach comes in. This year's 4 freshmen are all staying, as is the entire 14-15 roster minus the 2 seniors. Dated info; reasonable to say at the time the article was written (minus the misleading inclusion of walkons in the numbers) but much less so now.

seacatfan
05-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Iowa St. gives Oregon a run for their money for Transfer U.

Bogozags
05-27-2015, 01:19 PM
EOM is just about here...has anyone heard anything??

CDC84
05-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Update:

Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein Missouri transfer Jonathan Williams III told @CBSSports he will make his decision on Saturday. Considering Gonzaga, Georgetown, and SMU.

Angelo Roncalli
05-27-2015, 01:46 PM
For what it's worth, and it's not worth much, see below:

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-recruiting/missouris-jonathan-wiliams-iii-to-gonzaga/57088791/

cjm720
05-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Makes sense to me :) Nice to get some respect from an SEC message board, for what it's worth.

Bogozags
05-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the update!

Let's hope he picks us AND he has a GREAT red shirt year and improves his game and takes us on a deep run in the Dance!

zagsfanforlife
05-27-2015, 02:01 PM
PG: Perkins/ Melson
SG: NWG/ Melson
SF: JWIII/ Alberts
PF: Collins
C: Sabonis/ Edwards

Ahh. This thought just made my day.

cjm720
05-27-2015, 02:13 PM

Was thinking JWIII is clearly a PF??

cggonzaga
05-27-2015, 02:17 PM
I agree cjm but you know how everybody on this board wants to make guys 3's.

zagsfanforlife
05-27-2015, 02:46 PM
The man himself thinks he is a small forward according to his twitter....

Worthington
05-27-2015, 04:12 PM
He has the athleticism to play on the wing, if he can add the ball skills he would be an absolute nightmare for other teams playing the 3. From what I've seen, he looks more like an Elias Harris type of power forward, but you never know what could happen during a redshirt year.

DADoZAG
05-27-2015, 08:38 PM
For what it's worth, and it's not worth much, see below:

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-recruiting/missouris-jonathan-wiliams-iii-to-gonzaga/57088791/

Great link, AR. Educated folks. Right on mostly. At least as far as I read.

If III commits, some might consider that lineup to be of championship caliber.

But then, if you add freshman and/or transfer(s) to be named later?

Yeah, there's "if" in there twice. Still, that's some dog-gone nice kool-aid to consider.

Go ZAGS!

Coach Crazy
05-27-2015, 10:46 PM

He's a little bit of a 3, little bit of a 4. He is crazy explosive, tall, has some decent post moves, and can function in the pick-and-roll. On the downside of him as a 4, doesn't exactly make great decisions in the post, does not have adequate finishing moves, and is not at the weight you want a PF to have.

On the 3 side, can attack from the wing and baseline and play above the rim when finishing the drive. He's got the weight of a 3, and can sell a shot from distance while on the baseline or the wing; however, his shot is far from adequate for a small forward, and he needs to get better at decision making and his handles.

titopoet
05-28-2015, 03:56 AM

Wiltjer
Wesley

Iowa State or Transfer U

LongIslandZagFan
05-28-2015, 05:59 AM
I'm just going to say... at the very least if he comes to GU... we do well with landing transfers with Ws in their names.

jazzdelmar
05-28-2015, 06:06 AM
I'm just going to say... at the very least if he comes to GU... we do well with landing transfers with Ws in their names.

Nothing gets by you, LI.....:).....like Lundqvist.....go Rangers!

LongIslandZagFan
05-28-2015, 06:34 AM

I'm more of a Red Wings fan... holdover from my distant youth. That being said... I'll root for the Rangers for now. If it were Isles/Rangers I'd be Islanders all the way.

TheGonzagaFactor
05-28-2015, 09:58 AM

So is Wiltjer, so was Harris. Doesn't mean fans can't insist they play out of position.

cggonzaga
05-28-2015, 10:20 AM
He's a little bit of a 3, little bit of a 4. He is crazy explosive, tall, has some decent post moves, and can function in the pick-and-roll. On the downside of him as a 4, doesn't exactly make great decisions in the post, does not have adequate finishing moves, and is not at the weight you want a PF to have.

On the 3 side, can attack from the wing and baseline and play above the rim when finishing the drive. He's got the weight of a 3, and can sell a shot from distance while on the baseline or the wing; however, his shot is far from adequate for a small forward, and he needs to get better at decision making and his handles.

Thanks for the definition of a stretch 4.

Angelo Roncalli
05-28-2015, 10:20 AM

There is a Spokane boy playing very, very well in the Stanley Cup playoffs, Tyler Johnson of the Tampa Bay Lightning, once of the Spokane Chiefs. I believe he leads the playoffs in goals scored, including the hat trick talked about in the linked article. Gotta root for the home town kid. Go Lightning!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/sports/hockey/tyler-johnsons-hat-trick-for-lightning-was-an-uncommon-version.html?_r=0

sittingon50
05-28-2015, 10:39 AM
There is a Spokane boy playing very, very well in the Stanley Cup playoffs, Tyler Johnson of the Tampa Bay Lightning, once of the Spokane Chiefs. I believe he leads the playoffs in goals scored, including the hat trick talked about in the linked article. Gotta root for the home town kid. Go Lightning!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/sports/hockey/tyler-johnsons-hat-trick-for-lightning-was-an-uncommon-version.html?_r=0

Yep.

zagsfanforlife
05-28-2015, 10:50 AM
So is Wiltjer, so was Harris. Doesn't mean fans can't insist they play out of position.

It's not "insisting they play out of position" when the kid himself refers to himself on his own twitter as a 6'9 SF....

zagsfanforlife
05-28-2015, 10:50 AM

You can call it whatever you want. If the kid develops his shot a little more, there is ZERO reason, he can not start next year with Sabonis and Collins. ZERO.

ProjectMKUltra5
05-28-2015, 11:09 AM
It's like nobody has ever heard of a tweener lol

Carry on tho, keep trying to fit him in a box

cjm720
05-28-2015, 11:51 AM
You can call it whatever you want. If the kid develops his shot a little more, there is ZERO reason, he can not start next year with Sabonis and Collins. ZERO.

Edwards might have something to say about this!

Bogozags
05-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Am not sure why anyone believes that Collins is going to start? I understand he is an outstanding high school player but...Sabonis was an excellent player with much more experience and if KW wasn't a Zag, then he probably would of started. We never know what will/may happen after next season, so Sabonis could enter the draft AND if JWIII does pick GU, then that will a challenge to Collins' starting his freshman year...That isn't saying he won't start but odds are he will play valuable minutes coming off the bench...

Let's just keep our fingers crossed JWIII picks GU so that we have that conversation during/after his RS year...

bigblahla
05-28-2015, 12:49 PM

I agree ....Edwards is going to be a monster just a matter of time....PT that is.....already has great feet and hands and can shoot free throws....if he can consistently shoot to 10-12 feet he will become one of the best bigs to ever play at Gonzaga....he is not your typical back-up in the post....Zag fans have a real treat and a big surprise coming in Ryan Edwards....the WCC is going to crap themselves....you gotta love it...

Go!! Zags!!!

Coach Crazy
05-28-2015, 01:23 PM

That's not a stretch 4.

jazzdelmar
05-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Any guru here care to offer odds on W3 coming?

cjm720
05-28-2015, 01:36 PM
closer to a pupil, but i'd say 75% and it's between the real GU and SMU.

zagsfanforlife
05-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Am not sure why anyone believes that Collins is going to start? I understand he is an outstanding high school player but...Sabonis was an excellent player with much more experience and if KW wasn't a Zag, then he probably would of started. We never know what will/may happen after next season, so Sabonis could enter the draft AND if JWIII does pick GU, then that will a challenge to Collins' starting his freshman year...That isn't saying he won't start but odds are he will play valuable minutes coming off the bench...

Let's just keep our fingers crossed JWIII picks GU so that we have that conversation during/after his RS year...

Well, its been stated by some on this board they thing that Collins will be a top 30-40 or higher player nationally by the time this year ends. If so, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him start.

cjm720
05-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Well, its been stated by some on this board they thing that Collins will be a top 30-40 or higher player nationally by the time this year ends. If so, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him start.

He's going to be a stud, but unless you're a one and done or injuries creep up, it's hard to imagine three bigs starting. All would see a lot of time in my estimation though.

Coach Crazy
05-28-2015, 02:01 PM
It's like nobody has ever heard of a tweener lol

Carry on tho, keep trying to fit him in a box

Ding, ding, ding. He's a unique product, and has a very high ceiling. Really hoping he decides to play here.

If he said "no" to Kansas, then I would say it's about a 60% chance, just to say conservative. It'd be too easy to say "Olynyk Clinic+Efficient system+great supporting roster+other recent forward success+Consistent tourney appearances=75% chance or greater", but there is always Larry Brown. I am only guessing, at this point.

Mr Vulture
05-28-2015, 03:43 PM
I think the entire argument about who starts is a bit overblown. It doesn't really matter as long as the kids are getting their minutes and playing effectively. I fully expect Sabonis and McClellan to be on the bench this year but also expect both to be playing 20-25 minutes a game as well. The following season, after Wiltjer/Karno graduate, there will be plenty of minutes for Collins, Sabonis, Edwards, and JWIII (if he chose to come here).

As for our odds on getting him, I feel comfortable at 50% if he visits Kansas and 75% if he doesn't. If what he said his criteria for his newprogram are accurate, then I think Gonzaga should clearly stand out to him as the right destination.

BobZag
05-28-2015, 04:05 PM

100% divided by 3 = 33.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3%

cggonzaga
05-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Melson and Alberts might have something to say about that at the 3.

That's not a stretch 4.

For the most part it is. Granted a stretch 4 is usually a little better shooter than you described. Williams III reminds me a bit of Josh Smith (Hawks, Rockets). Most people consider him a stretch 4. Agreed though, if he can play, get him on the court however possible.

jazzdelmar
05-28-2015, 04:35 PM
100% divided by 3 = 33.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3%

Brilliant, for a Chelsea man. Go Juve. Aren't we the Chosen One?

Coach Crazy
05-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Melson and Alberts might have something to say about that at the 3.

For the most part it is. Granted a stretch 4 is usually a little better shooter than you described.

A stretch 4 hits a certain volume of scoring from the perimeter. Neither his production, or shooting technique speak to that. Old school cornerman? I guess that is closer, but it's not really about giving this kid a designation. I think the designation of a "stretch 4" is overused, as it is.

He got thrown into the 4, when in reality, he just needed some time to develop as a 3. His frame, his athleticism, and his explosiveness fit that. His length and his strength allow him to dabble in some post production, and of course, all of the above allow him to play multiple defensive positions. He's not a a stretch 4 right now, and he is worth so much more than just being a stretch 4, later.

If he improves his handles, and can get his 3-point shooting at both volume (2.5-3 makes a game) and %(38+), then you can start prepping this kid for the draft.

Also, broken record, but I really wanna see him in the corner or on the wing, with the post presence we have developed, the 3-point shooting from our guards and possibly Zach, and having two PG's on the floor at the same time. He'll shine, and we'll have to replace the rims after a few games.

It's only going to keep getting better, guys.

cggonzaga
05-28-2015, 07:14 PM
The more I watch of him I can maybe see a 3 but still think he's better suited at the 4. Powerful game for a skinnier kid. Would be a nice 4 guard 4 post player rotation.

raise the zag
05-28-2015, 07:24 PM
How is he any different &/or any better than Angel Nunez?

They look and play like clones -- Nunez had a RS year.

It's one thing to 're-shape someone's body or add strength, it's an entirely different thing trying to limit poor decisions with the ball. JWIII turns it over much like Nunez did.

I don't see great feel for the game. Olynyk, Wiltjer, et el had terrific IQ, feel, good decision making, etc.

They simply needed an added dimension they could tangibly improve upon, such as physicality and strength.

JWIII seems much like Nunez would on a bad team. Long, athletic, terrific world-class attributes, versatile tweener, a couple go-to moves, CAN make the highlight heel play, however, they lack discipline, IQ, & awareness i.e. "feel".

not bitter about Nunez, just sharing he is the same type of player in the same mold.

After watching film, he's nearly identical.

It will take so much more than Travis Knight for this kid to make a significant impact in a Gonzaga offense.

DixieZag
05-28-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm not the BB guy that many here are. But, I did just watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_MnY_hR7Q

It is a "highlight" reel, but from a real college conference game.

I think he has more game than Nunez - though I always thought that Nunez was just never comfortable here, forced things, made dumb mistakes, etc). I thought his footwork looked very good. He's very physical.

I think we'd do well to get him.

Zagdawg
05-28-2015, 09:24 PM
His control looked solid when attacking the basket. Would be a great addition to the team.

Coach Crazy
05-28-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm not the BB guy that many here are. But, I did just watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_MnY_hR7Q

It is a "highlight" reel, but from a real college conference game.

I think he has more game than Nunez - though I always thought that Nunez was just never comfortable here, forced things, made dumb mistakes, etc). I thought his footwork looked very good. He's very physical.

I think we'd do well to get him.

You don't have to be the "BB guy that some are here" to see the obvious, though.

Angel is shorter and lighter. Would be interesting to see what their wingspans match up. Nunez coming out of high school appears to have been a better shooter, and had better handles, however, he was not as explosive or athletic as J3.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that AN's concussions played a big part in his slowness, mentally. Not that we haven't seen athletic players come in and fail to get things without that reason.

We've also seen even players like BW improve their efficiency and team impact by playing in the Few system, and that was without a whole year off to develop. If they can turn KO into an NBA forward, they certainly have a shot at getting J3 some handles and a shot.

I think a more accurate parallel between Angel and J3, is that they would both be coming in with the hype and some similar expectations. But that's about as far as it goes.

ZagsObserver
05-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Angel was a consensus 3 star recruit, Johnathan was a consensus 4 star recruit.

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 03:35 AM
AN was GU's Sidd Finch, purported unsurpassed athletic ability demonstrated on some playing field far, far away. In reality, it was a myth, for whatever reason. He never showed up as Sidd. No one ever got more opportunity to shine under Few and showed so little. To paint any player with the Nunez brush is to perform a great disservice to all involved.

Zaga
05-29-2015, 05:03 AM
up a might early for this kind of straight talk Jazz. mmmh

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 05:13 AM
up a might early for this kind of straight talk Jazz. mmmh

Straight, indeed. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

vandalzag
05-29-2015, 06:22 AM
AN was GU's Sidd Finch, purported unsurpassed athletic ability demonstrated on some playing field far, far away. In reality, it was a myth, for whatever reason. He never showed up as Sidd. No one ever got more opportunity to shine under Few and showed so little. To paint any player with the Nunez brush is to perform a great disservice to all involved.

A little harsh but spot on. Nunez was the tweener that could not find a place in the system. At least he hit the books and got his degree and went about it with a good attitude. As far as the Sidd Finch comparison, I would put Bol Kong as GU's Finch

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 06:26 AM
A little harsh but spot on. Nunez was the tweener that could not find a place in the system. At least he hit the books and got his degree and went about it with a good attitude. As far as the Sidd Finch comparison, I would put Bol Kong as GU's Finch

Bol was a bird of another feather, IMO.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2015, 07:34 AM
You don't have to be the "BB guy that some are here" to see the obvious, though.

Angel is shorter and lighter. Would be interesting to see what their wingspans match up. Nunez coming out of high school appears to have been a better shooter, and had better handles, however, he was not as explosive or athletic as J3.I wouldn't be surprised to see that AN's concussions played a big part in his slowness, mentally. Not that we haven't seen athletic players come in and fail to get things without that reason.

We've also seen even players like BW improve their efficiency and team impact by playing in the Few system, and that was without a whole year off to develop. If they can turn KO into an NBA forward, they certainly have a shot at getting J3 some handles and a shot.

I think a more accurate parallel between Angel and J3, is that they would both be coming in with the hype and some similar expectations. But that's about as far as it goes.

What?!?!?!? Angel's an athletic freak; one of the most athletic that we've had. His whole issue, like many on Few's short lease was confidence. I think AN may average double figures at USF.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2015, 07:36 AM
Could not care less about star rankings. Florida had the #1 qb in the nation a few years ago; 5 star Jeff Driscoll; turns out he couldn't read a defense to save his life and threw the football like a buttered pineapple.
Angel was a consensus 3 star recruit, Johnathan was a consensus 4 star recruit.

TheOtherGreatOne
05-29-2015, 07:46 AM
I watched Williams play several times and was never impressed. To me nunez was a more gifted player, he just never never really got a chance. Nunez also has a lot better attitude. I did not like what I saw in the attitude part of Williams game. Like I said before better watch out what you wish for,you just might get it. Hope i'm wrong but that's my opinion.

ZagsObserver
05-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Expectations for Angel were simply misguided. He was a three star recruit that did not excel at his last destination. Fans should have been hoping that he could play a role on the team after a red shirt year, recognizing that he probably wouldn't be a star. Instead, many fans were expecting that he would play a large role, and could likely be a star. It was incongruent with the recent history and pedigree.

Johnathan's pedigree is better, as is his previous success

gonzagafan62
05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Expectations for Angel were simply misguided. He was a three star recruit that did not excel at his last destination. Fans should have been hoping that he could play a role on the team after a red shirt year, recognizing that he probably wouldn't be a star. Instead, many fans were expecting that he would play a large role, and could likely be a star. It was incongruent with the recent history and pedigree.

Johnathan's pedigree is better, as is his previous success

Lets not forget that he had a TON of talent in front of him, missed the first half of the season he was here also. He never really got a chance to play here. People wanna compare Nunez and Williams III, are just ludicrous.

Vanzagger
05-29-2015, 08:27 AM
I got to go with Spy and Thegreatone. Also Wiltger and KO just needed starters minutes to fulfill their potential. Nunez would have done the same.

Travis knight is great but if you don't believe every D1 program in the country is cross training the hell out of their athletes you are out of touch. It starts and ends with talent and the Zags have had it and then some

hooter73
05-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Did Wiltjer meet his potential at UK? Has he met it here? Did Coleman? Big numbers at Providence did not translate here. Different programs bring out different levels... plus the years of experience all compounds. The only thing that is congruent is the individuals talent. The level that they put that talent to use ebbs and flows it seems.

zagfan1
05-29-2015, 12:05 PM
With recruits what you see on tape is only part of it. The player needs to embrace the system, find where he fits in, works hard, and works on his weaknesses. Players will surprise you and that is why we need him. Nunez never seemed to get himself to fit the flow of the game. He made a lot of mental errors which hampered his potential. Let's not criticize him until we can see how he responds and adapts.

basketballzag
05-29-2015, 12:13 PM
With recruits what you see on tape is only part of it. The player needs to embrace the system, find where he fits in, works hard, and works on his weaknesses. Players will surprise you and that is why we need him. Nunez never seemed to get himself to fit the flow of the game. He made a lot of mental errors which hampered his potential. Let's not criticize him until we can see how he responds and adapts.

JWIII will push NWG and vice versa over the next year as they take their redshirt year. I'm excited about the JWIII addition to the Zags in 2016-17. Also will help that he can bang up against our bigs in practice for a year during this redshirt year.

ZagsObserver
05-29-2015, 01:23 PM
JWIII will push NWG and vice versa over the next year as they take their redshirt year. I'm excited about the JWIII addition to the Zags in 2016-17. Also will help that he can bang up against our bigs in practice for a year during this redshirt year.

"Addition?" Is it official. If so, good work, staff!

sittingon50
05-29-2015, 01:55 PM
"Addition?" Is it official. If so, good work, staff!

I think announcement is tomorrow.

Bing
05-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Let me know when Angel averaged 12 and 7 for a Power 5 Conference team. Please. In my opinion, this is a brutal analysis/opinion. Brutal.

How is he any different &/or any better than Angel Nunez?

They look and play like clones -- Nunez had a RS year.

It's one thing to 're-shape someone's body or add strength, it's an entirely different thing trying to limit poor decisions with the ball. JWIII turns it over much like Nunez did.

I don't see great feel for the game. Olynyk, Wiltjer, et el had terrific IQ, feel, good decision making, etc.

They simply needed an added dimension they could tangibly improve upon, such as physicality and strength.

JWIII seems much like Nunez would on a bad team. Long, athletic, terrific world-class attributes, versatile tweener, a couple go-to moves, CAN make the highlight heel play, however, they lack discipline, IQ, & awareness i.e. "feel".

not bitter about Nunez, just sharing he is the same type of player in the same mold.

After watching film, he's nearly identical.

It will take so much more than Travis Knight for this kid to make a significant impact in a Gonzaga offense.

GoZags
05-29-2015, 02:16 PM

Thanks BBZ.

Your post makes it "official" enough for me.

raise the zag
05-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Let me know when Angel averaged 12 and 7 for a Power 5 Conference team. Please. In my opinion, this is a brutal analysis/opinion. Brutal.

I dunno.

He also shot 41% FG and 3 TO's per game -- as a forward.

I guarantee Angel Nunez features the attributes, shooting ability, athleticism, height, and enough skill to average 12 & change for any SEC team not named UK.

Hey, I am not ragging on anyone or saying we whiffed/bitter on Angel's situation, rather sharing similarities and style of play w/a player who didn't quite cut it for us.

Bottom line, I sincerely hope JWIII excels; I trust our staff, his work ethic, the opportunity for both sides in this agreement.

I'm just not certain we are gaining MORE than we are losing as many suggest. is all.

jazzdelmar
05-29-2015, 02:40 PM

Bingo, Bing. Like comparing apples and goji berries, if that. The in loco parentis mentality that often affects some here really is entrenched with respect to Nunez. Wish him well, but simply not a Zag player.

cggonzaga
05-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Agreed GoZags. If BBZ says it's so I believe it. Great addition at the 4 spot :)

cggonzaga
05-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Also agree Bing. The comparison is silly. JWillIII gives us big guy athleticism we haven't had in a while. Great offseason coaching staff!

DixieZag
05-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Unlike many here, I never thought AN got a chance to get comfortable. Coming in halfway really hurt him. He was lost in a system where the team has to play as one unit and it never seemed like he felt part of that one unit. Some of that is on him - he just didn't "feel it."

I will point out, that he worked hard. Few started him against Tex Southern and said "the start was earned." And, if you recall, he got off to a very good start that game.

I would not be surprised if AN has an excellent season his senior year.

So, are we actually sure that III is coming?

If so, welcome.

It takes hard work and dedication to a certain "way" of doing things - but if one can do that, the sky's the limit.

Coach Crazy
05-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Bingo, Bing. Like comparing apples and goji berries, if that. The in loco parentis mentality that often affects some here really is entrenched with respect to Nunez. Wish him well, but simply not a Zag player.

It will be interesting to see how his new program uses him. We'll never know what pre-concussion Angel would have done, and if he would have fulfilled the potential people felt he had, he never would have transferred.

Although, I would say that 12/7 isn't necessarily what to look for. More so, show me an Angel that ever played the same amount of minutes as J3, in a power conference. We have a nice sample size for J3. It's very clear for what he can do, what he can't, and what will be possible to improve in that year's time.

And since we are on the eve of his decision, I'll just say this: The team that is willing to help him to his developmental destiny as a 3 is going to exit this showdown as the winner.

ZagaZags
05-29-2015, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the great news. The Zags did pretty well on the transfer market this year. I wonder who they bring in after next season. #TransferU

jazzdelmar
05-30-2015, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the great news. The Zags did pretty well on the transfer market this year. I wonder who they bring in after next season. #TransferU

why are you inferring that W3 is coming?

phxfireflames
05-30-2015, 04:11 PM
John Martin ‏@JohnMartin929 6m6 minutes ago

Missouri transfer Johnathan Williams III is transferring to Gonzaga, his mother tells @929espn. Best available transfer out there.

Rangerzag
05-30-2015, 04:24 PM
https://twitter.com/929espn

Zags_Fanatic
05-30-2015, 07:22 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25200631/missouri-transfer-jonathan-williams-commits-to-gonzaga

basketballzag
05-31-2015, 08:44 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25200631/missouri-transfer-jonathan-williams-commits-to-gonzaga

Gonzaga still needs another SF for the future who will also be willing to take the redshirt year.

zagfan1
05-31-2015, 09:44 AM
I am happy that JW3 is now committed. We should be excited for a great transition year after Karnowski and Wiltjer. Pumped!

seacatfan
05-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Here's another reason why the Nunez-Williams III comparison doesn't work: Nunez couldn't get playing time with a strong Louisville team while JW3 got all the minutes he wanted with a terrible Missouri team.

ZagaZags
05-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Gonzaga still needs another SF for the future who will also be willing to take the redshirt year.

A SF for 2015 or 2016 to redshirt?