PDA

View Full Version : What about Silas Melson

Reborn
05-08-2015, 07:42 AM
With all the talk about Nigel Williams-Goss these days I wonder about how Silas Melson is taking all of this in. Melson was the best player coming out of Oregon a year ago, and ZagNation was applauding the ability for Mark Few and his staff to get Silas to sign with the Zags. And now a year later he seems to be an after thought, or a secoond fiddle to NWG. We all saw what happened to Rasheed Sulamon at Duke when he found himself to be the third fiddle. I really hope that that doesn't happen with Silas Melson.

But I must admit, I do wonder if he will start two years from now. And I'm not sure how he will react. We know what happened last year to Silas. He took a red-shirt year at the beginning of the season, and when Perkins got hurt he was asked to burn it, and he did. However, I believe his play was really affected by it all. I don't think Silas was ready to play as a substitute coming into the game for limited minutes. That is a huge adjustment for any player who was a big star in high school. And really Silas didn't have much time to adjust. His play was not what I expected to see, but afterall, I had to remember that he had originally been a red-shirt and was not expecting to play last year. So I don't believe we saw the real Silas Melson, and I'm really hoping we get to see him next year.

I believe Silas has a year to show Few and his staff, and the team what he can be to the Zags. We've already seen that he can play very good defense, and that will help him, but he needs to prove that he can knock down that 3 point shot because the team will really need him to be able to do that next year. I think he showed me that he's also more than a 3 point shooter, and that he has a lot of good moves and showed he has a variety of ways to score. And I feel that if he starts next year that he will have time and opportunity to do that. If he's as successful as I hope he will be, then I must wonder what happens to NWG.

webspinnre
05-08-2015, 07:46 AM
I think Silas could probably play the wing if needed as well. There will be playing time available for him next year, and that should prep him for the year after.

LongIslandZagFan
05-08-2015, 07:50 AM
I see him, short term, filling in the same role as Kyle D... possibly red shirting... but I can see him playing both the 2 and the 3 spots.

HenneZag
05-08-2015, 08:23 AM
This will be a big year for Silas to make a statement. Last year he was kinda thrown into the fire, and we did she flashes of what he can do, on the other side he has much to work on. He can shoot the 3 and provides that athletic boost that we don't see too often w/GU. I agree that he can play the 2 and 3 if needed. Silas has been with this team for a year and will play good minutes next year, I believe we see a different player. NWG IMO is the guy that will need to prove himself in our system, yeah he is a 5* guy that has proven himself with UW playing in the pac but that doesn't guarantee he will come in and tear it up from the get go.

I am very interested in how Perkins/NWG will play together, very intriguing to say the least. Also Alberts is a guy i'm looking forward to seeing next year. Like I said, Melson will get some solid minutes this year, what he does with those minutes will set the tone for the following season, time will tell.

gonzagacfen
05-08-2015, 08:24 AM
We only have 5 guards on scholarship who are eligible to play next season. Doubt redshirting is a possibility for Melson if we don't pick up anymore immediately eligible guards for next season

cggonzaga
05-08-2015, 08:24 AM
I for one haven't forgot about Silas. Not every freshman can start their college careers as stars. Most aren't ready to contribute. I always felt that Silas needed some time to understand the game and get his wings under him. I have complete faith he'll flourish next season alongside Perkins. He showed IMMENSE talent in spurts last season. Wait until he's comfortable out there.

Sorry Lizf but I think you're way off in your assessment. Nothing against Kyle D whom I think is extremely valuable but Silas has a chance to be special.

cjm720
05-08-2015, 08:37 AM
3 guard line-up...one thing is for sure, we're going to run and gun more with NWG here.

zagamatic
05-08-2015, 08:37 AM
I like Melson, always have since I saw him at Kraziness in the Kennel. That being said, if he wants playing time over NWG, or anybody else, he's gotta be the better player who also does what Few and the staff ask of him. If someone else steps in and does it better. ........well there's nothing quite like the bench to motivate ya.

Zagdawg
05-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Agree --gotta earn your minutes---- What does a player bring that is more of an asset to the team than another player ---is it their defense--their scoring--their hustle--their ability to get their teammates involved and make them a better overall team--- if they have/develops a few of these (ideally all of them) --then a player will earn plenty of minutes.

Mr Vulture
05-08-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't see how anyone has forgotten about Melson. In fact, most think he will be the starting SG next year...including myself. McClellan should be the swing guard off the bench. Dranginis shouldn't play guard much at all as I expect him to be the starting wing with Alberts covering off the bench. When NGW comes in, I'd imagine that there is a competition between the remaining guards for three spots...they will all play significant minutes regardless.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2015, 09:18 AM
SM needs to worry more about Alberts than Josh/Goss, who are for-sure starters for two years. He shld flashes but nothing like the buzz we heard from BBZag and others here.

cjm720
05-08-2015, 09:45 AM
SM needs to worry more about Alberts than Josh/Goss, who are for-sure starters for two years. He shld flashes but nothing like the buzz we heard from BBZag and others here.

Others, primarily being coach Few...propped him up more than any freshman. Mighty words to follow...then the redshirt burn. I think he'll be fine, but if this situation doesn't provide even more motivation, nothing will.

Reborn
05-08-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm just trying to be creative and give members here something else to talk about and discuss. It's been a while since I've seen a new thread. And I also believe that this can be a very good discussion topic because nothing is set in stone.

MDABE80
05-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Silas kinda went to sleep when EMAC was moved ahead. I'm not sure that helped his attitude. SIlas has all those tools he had but he needs development. I hope he gets it. I do think he'll blossom. Just need support.
Best players will play though. Fews got his favs which sometimes gets in the way....

dnj116
05-08-2015, 10:33 AM
I don't think there's any reason for concern with Melson. He did exactly what was needed of him last year -- he got valuable game experience as a freshman behind seasoned veterans, showed flashes of his highly touted athleticism and has a great overall skill set. Melson now has that experience as a foundation to build on for next season.

Now that he'll be taking on a much larger role, I'm actually quite excited to see what progress he makes and to watch him improve over the course of his sophomore season. Regardless of whether he starts or comes off the bench, he's going to get his minutes this season.

Basically, all the NWG talk relative to Melson's playing time is a bit premature until we see how Melson does this upcoming season. For all we know, they'll compliment each other quite well and play lots of minutes together in a three guard line-up. Excited to watch it all play out, but I don't think we should be worried about Melson having thoughts of transferring because of NWG coming in.

Worthington
05-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Silas needs to improve on his willingness to pass and his overall basketball IQ if he's going to crack the starting lineup. My impression is that he loves to score and he grew up playing on teams that needed him to do that, but he didn't know how to best utilize the talent that was surrounding him this year. Our offense is predicated on ball movement and unselfishness, and all 5 guys on the court needs to be on the same page. I'm not saying Silas is a selfish player, I just still think he's getting used to playing this kind of team basketball. There's no questioning his talent, but it's his ability to adapt that will determine the kind of success he has at GU. Right now I've got McClellan as our starting 2 going into next season.

hooter73
05-08-2015, 11:06 AM
I believe Silas has a year to show Few and his staff, and the team what he can be to the Zags.

I agree with this completely. Throwing him back in this year obviously looked like it took him out of his comfort zone. I just hope thats all it was and with some game time under him now, he can refocus this summer and hit the ground running next season. He was highly touted but it did look like he wasnt quite grasping D1 Zag style.

FuManShoes
05-08-2015, 11:45 AM
I like how he wears his shorts up high. That's what I think.

mgadfly
05-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Perkins
Melson
EMac

(3 guards get most of the minutes at the 1 and 2 spot in 2016)

Perkins
Goss
Melson

(3 guards get most of the minutes at the 1 and 2 spot in 2017)

Absent landing another 4 or 5 star guard I don't see how his role changes much in the next two years. We'll need him for 25 minutes per game, which is usually enough to keep players happy.

Plus, if he plays as well as he did at times this year (with the athleticism, length, and shooting) we will go with three guards and get him out on the court another five or six minutes per game.

ZagsGoZags
05-08-2015, 01:00 PM
I would like to see Few put him in some practices where he cannot shoot the ball, but must learn to pass, feed the bigs, and drive the lane feeding team-mates both in the paint and the outside. And one hour a day watching film on how David Stockton is passing in the NBA, and how Pangos could feed our bigs, and nobody else on the team even came close to KP on that particular skill.
What can put our team into the final four next year is guards who can feed the bigs and get it done, while remaining a respectable threat in their own right

izzjess
05-08-2015, 01:14 PM
I remember few saying the zags best nba prospect was redshirting and it being one of his hardest decisions for him to make...I know he was talking about melson..Im not worried about melson. I think he will end up being the man on this team.

ZagsObserver
05-08-2015, 01:24 PM
I remember few saying the zags best nba prospect was redshirting and it being one of his hardest decisions for him to make...I know he was talking about melson..Im not worried about melson. I think he will end up being the man on this team.

Few also said that Melson would need to step it up next season. The talent and skill are there. The question is whether he can play within the system and make his teammates better. He will be a huge key to the success of next season. I think he can do it and am excited to see how it plays out.

He might be the biggest key to next year's team

jchocolate99
05-08-2015, 01:28 PM
I would like to see Few put him in some practices where he cannot shoot the ball, but must learn to pass, feed the bigs, and drive the lane feeding team-mates both in the paint and the outside. And one hour a day watching film on how David Stockton is passing in the NBA, and how Pangos could feed our bigs, and nobody else on the team even came close to KP on that particular skill.
What can put our team into the final four next year is guards who can feed the bigs and get it done, while remaining a respectable threat in their own right

You sir need to go re-watch that no look pass from Perkins to Sabonis... Pangos definitely did a great job distributing last year but Perkins was our best distributer not even close. Just sucks his season ended so soon. With Perkins distributing the bigs will be fed very nicely this next season

229SintoZag
05-08-2015, 01:31 PM
To be candid I don't think we saw enough of either Melson or Perkins to really assess what we have with them this year. Perkins left to injury before he even got going; Melson was a bench role player. Pangos and Bell took all the minutes this year at guard, and rightly so.

I think I saw plenty enough promising play from Melson to be optimistic about his future as a Zag. The NWG transfer is irrelevant in this next year because he has to redshirt.

The only thing we can say with confidence at this point is: who knows? But having 3 guards like Melson, NWG, and Perkins is most certainly a good problem to have.

RenoZag
05-08-2015, 01:44 PM
One thing I recall about Melson: he described himself as a volume shooter. I hope next year he's a volume scorer.

Hope everyone is enjoying the off-season and looking ahead to Summertime vacation plans. Will be attending three of the US Open days @ Chambers Bay. . .

seacatfan
05-08-2015, 04:36 PM
One thing I recall about Melson: he described himself as a volume shooter. I hope next year he's s a volume scorer.

I don't think that's really what is needed from Melson. Wiltjer is a volume scorer who is rivaled by very few players that will be on a college basketball court next year. I believe what is needed is a handful of other players to chip in somewhere in the 8-12 pts/game range, just like last year. They lost 3 such players from last year--KP, GBJ and Wesley. I think Karnowski and Sabonis can bump up their scoring averages a bit from last year, Dranginis can definitely improve his scoring. McClellan was a double figure scorer at 2 other schools prior to arriving at GU, so he's clearly capable of more than what he demonstrated last year. We didn't get to see much of him but Perkins appeared to be a better than expected 3 point shooter and can definitely drive the lane. If Melson is close to averaging double digit scoring next year I think that will be plenty from him. Wiltjer isn't going to go all Adam Morrison next year but he's definitely a guy that can score well over 20 points in any given game.

realized I didn't mention Alberts, he's a total wild card in my mind, I don't know what to expect from him

LongIslandZagFan
05-08-2015, 06:52 PM
I for one haven't forgot about Silas. Not every freshman can start their college careers as stars. Most aren't ready to contribute. I always felt that Silas needed some time to understand the game and get his wings under him. I have complete faith he'll flourish next season alongside Perkins. He showed IMMENSE talent in spurts last season. Wait until he's comfortable out there.

Sorry Lizf but I think you're way off in your assessment. Nothing against Kyle D whom I think is extremely valuable but Silas has a chance to be special.

You misunderstand. I am talking about being flexible enough to play both the 2 and the 3 like KD. I think he will end up being far better than KD, and KD is pretty darn good.

gonzagafan62
05-08-2015, 08:05 PM
I lean pessimistic right now. Not expecting a lot, hooping I am wrong. Would love Perkins and Melson to be the future of gonzagas backcourt to shine. Go bulldogs

cggonzaga
05-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Gotcha Liz.

I lean pessimistic right now.

Simple cure for that. Just lean the other way.

ZagsGoZags
05-09-2015, 11:54 AM
You sir need to go re-watch that no look pass from Perkins to Sabonis... Pangos definitely did a great job distributing last year but Perkins was our best distributer not even close. Just sucks his season ended so soon. With Perkins distributing the bigs will be fed very nicely this next season

Hi jchocolate99
I agree with you that Perkins is already there in passing into the paint, and that his skill at this is at least as good as Kevin's. The thread is about Silas, and don't you agree with me about his passing to the inside? IMHO Melson could improve his value to the team a great deal by focusing on this skill. It can be developed and improved by anybody. Look at David S. passing now in the NBA compared to when he was with us. Delavadova for SMC was the same way, always looking for the pass even when driving the lane. Gary Bell in four years only developed slowly at this, and right now we have 3 bigs who can take us to the promised land if we build team strategy with that as a focus.

but while on the topic, Eric McL made some terrific look away passes last season also!!
it is just going to be a fabulous season coming up ..... hey is it almost November yet?