PDA

View Full Version : No GU Players on Official List for the NBA Combine

SLOZag
05-07-2015, 02:32 PM
"NBA's official combine participant list was released today, and former Arizona guard T.J. McConnell isn't on it. As expected, however, Stanley Johnson, Brandon Ashley and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson are listed among the 62 participants. Since their are 60 draft spots -- and roughly 15 potential foreign picks not participating -- players not invited face an uphill battle to get drafted."

Here's the entire list, as provided by the NBA:

Player College/Club
Cliff Alexander Kansas
Justin Anderson Virginia
Brandon Ashley Arizona
Ryan Boatright Connecticut
Devin Booker Kentucky
Anthony Brown Stanford
Willie Cauley-Stein Kentucky
Rakeem Christmas Syracuse
Pat Connaughton Notre Dame
Quinn Cook Duke
Branden Dawson Michigan State
George de Paula Pinheiros (Brazil)
Sam Dekker Wisconsin
Michael Frazier II Florida
Treveon Graham VCU
Jerian Grant Notre Dame
Olivier Hanlan Boston College
Montrezl Harrell Louisville
Andrew Harrison Kentucky
Aaron Harrison Kentucky
Tyler Harvey Eastern Washington
Corey Hawkins UC-Davis
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Arizona
Jonathan Holmes Texas
Richaun Holmes Bowling Green
R.J. Hunter Georgia State
Vince Hunter UTEP
Mouhammadou Jaiteh Nanterre (France)
Dakari Johnson Kentucky
Stanley Johnson Arizona
Tyus Jones Duke
Frank Kaminsky Wisconsin
Kevon Looney UCLA
Trey Lyles Kentucky
Jarell Martin LSU
Chris McCullough Syracuse
Jordan Mickey LSU
Larry Nance Wyoming
Kelly Oubre Kansas
Cameron Payne Murray State
Terran Petteway Nebraska
Bobby Portis Arkansas
Norman Powell UCLA
Michael Qualls Arkansas
Chasson Randle Stanford
Terry Rozier Louisville
DíAngelo Russell Ohio State
Keifer Sykes Wisconsin Green Bay
TaShawn Thomas Oklahoma
Marcus Thornton William & Mary
J.P. Tokoto North Carolina
Myles Turner Texas
Robert Upshaw Washington
Rashad Vaughn UNLV
Chris Walker Florida
Dez Wells Maryland
Aaron White Iowa
Alan Williams UC Santa Barbara
Justise Winslow Duke
Christian Wood UNLV
Delon Wright Utah
Joseph Young Oregon"

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/arizona-basketball-mcconnell-not-invited-to-nba-combine/article_9300fbb6-f501-11e4-91c0-631d0c70df56.html

Bouldin4Prez
05-07-2015, 02:44 PM
This shouldn't come as a surprise.

OZZY
05-07-2015, 06:04 PM
My guess is that KP will work out with a variety of teams before the draft, not get drafted and end up making some noise on a summer league team (perhaps the Celtics or Lakers).

Hopefully enough noise to catch a spot for a training camp and then get an opportunity to work with staff and develop some chemistry with a group of players.

ZagsObserver
05-07-2015, 09:12 PM
My guess is that KP will work out with a variety of teams before the draft, not get drafted and end up making some noise on a summer league team (perhaps the Celtics or Lakers).

Hopefully enough noise to catch a spot for a training camp and then get an opportunity to work with staff and develop some chemistry with a group of players.

Well said

basketballzag
05-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Well said

I still think that Kevin Pangos sneaks up and is drafted late 2nd round and if he isn't that he still lands a position on a NBA team next year.

SunDevilGolfZag
05-08-2015, 04:45 PM
I still think that Kevin Pangos sneaks up and is drafted late 2nd round and if he isn't that he still lands a position on a NBA team next year.

My feeling too. He will hook on with the right team. Lots of future D-Leagers on that list of 60, IMO

MTZag03
05-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Honest question: is Kevin Pangos as NBA ready of a player as Matthew Dellavedova? He made it to the NBA. We know how they stack up seeing them both play. I honestly think the only reason Delly gets the nod over Kevin is his height. Otherwise they are very comparable players. Obviously they went about things in different ways as far as their game, but both were just solid. I do think Pangos can make it. If Stocks can, Kevin can!

Malastein
05-08-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm shocked by the evolution of David Stockton into a fringe NBA player, but I'd be just as shocked if Kevin Pangos made it into the NBA as well. We'll see...

cdools
05-09-2015, 08:50 AM
I was just in Chicago watching Kevin work out with all the players that are with the same agency. He looked great and he fits right in skill wise and above the norm fitness wise. It will come down to the individual team workouts and I'm sure he will impress. As always Kevin is putting in a tremendous amount of work and I believe this combined with his strength of character will give him a shot.

Zagquette
05-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Any word on Gary? I think he has about the same profile that gray had coming out. Get a few looks from some NBA squads and then head to Europe...

hooter73
05-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Came across this on twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsREmNgT9BA

Go TRex Go!

sittingon50
05-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks hooter.

Coach Crazy
05-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Honest question: is Kevin Pangos as NBA ready of a player as Matthew Dellavedova?. I do think Pangos can make it. If Stocks can, Kevin can!

If he's in the right system, at first. He would be great with a team that has a megastar. He's shown that he can have a great impact on multiple facets of the game without a high USG%. He can shoot and handle, and has a great emotional maturity, but he's going to have to increase his defensive ability. His latest video showed that he isn't as quick as he needs to be, and his hips have some obvious stiffness.

But seriously, if you are a Lebron-type star, the Mouthguard's and the KP's of the world are the ones you shouldn't have a hard time giving a test-run, at least, on the roster and handling the ball a portion of the time. Not to mention the fact that he's already played with a point-forward, runs the pick and roll/pop effectively, and shoots well as an off-ball guard.

If Stocks can, Kevin can!

Meh. Stockton's situation has as much to do with "right place, right time", and taking serious a league that most playing in it don't(Or at least don't have the right attitude about). If there wasn't an injury, and he wasn't playing on the D-League team of the organization with that injury, he isn't playing in the NBA right now.

Kevin is on a totally different level.

MDABE80
05-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Kevin's footwork is much improved. I think he'll see the 2nd round. Looks very good. Glad for him. Hard work pays off.

raise the zag
05-21-2015, 05:58 AM
Btw, it wasn't just joke or a 'highlight' clip, during the workout portion, Kevin didn't miss a single shot.

Only time he missed was during warm-ups & messing around one-on-one.

Pretty impressive.

cjm720
05-21-2015, 06:16 AM
I'd be shocked if he wasn't on a NBA roster next year. He's just too good of a leader and shooter.

scott257
05-21-2015, 09:22 AM
We send way too many quality players overseas because the NBA is too small. Think about it, no team in Seattle, no team in Kansas City, no team in Fort Worth or Austin and I am certain there are many other cities that could support an NBA team that do not currently have one. The sport has grown at the college level and there are plenty of quality players that I have enjoyed watching over the years that I never see again because of the poor quality star show that is the NBA. I often wonder if Tim Duncan would be drafted if he were coming out of college today after completing four years.

ZAGGED OUT
05-21-2015, 02:44 PM
We send way too many quality players overseas because the NBA is too small. Think about it, no team in Seattle, no team in Kansas City, no team in Fort Worth or Austin and I am certain there are many other cities that could support an NBA team that do not currently have one. The sport has grown at the college level and there are plenty of quality players that I have enjoyed watching over the years that I never see again because of the poor quality star show that is the NBA. I often wonder if Tim Duncan would be drafted if he were coming out of college today after completing four years.

I gotta say, this is the first time I've heard that the NBA is too small. Talent would be way diluted if there was more than one or two teams added. You already have 3 or 4 teams every year right now that are downright horrendous because they're filled with poor players. And to answer your question, yes, Duncan would be drafted even today. Without a doubt.

Coach Crazy
05-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Kevin's footwork is much improved. I think he'll see the 2nd round. Looks very good. Glad for him. Hard work pays off.

I would like to see what he can do. This was a transformative year for this program. Among other things, it allowed KP to actually develop a future, customized identity, when simply going in as a generic PG would not have worked.

scott257
05-22-2015, 06:57 AM
I gotta say, this is the first time I've heard that the NBA is too small. Talent would be way diluted if there was more than one or two teams added. You already have 3 or 4 teams every year right now that are downright horrendous because they're filled with poor players. And to answer your question, yes, Duncan would be drafted even today. Without a doubt.

Poor management, bad coaching, emphasis on individuals over teamwork is the bigger problem. There are plenty of good players that would draw fans under the right circumstances. That the NBA will fine a coach for resting stars (Popovich) while they look the other way at a Philadelphia team that intentionally skids to the bottom to try and snag a star in the lottery speaks volumes about how messed up the priorities are in the NBA. Blaming the quality of play on the players is nuts. Watching Dallas trade Olynyk away and then they make the big trade for Rajon Rondo is another prime example of poor management. Boston is building the right way. There are some franchises that are learning.

007Zag
05-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Poor management, bad coaching, emphasis on individuals over teamwork is the bigger problem. There are plenty of good players that would draw fans under the right circumstances. That the NBA will fine a coach for resting stars (Popovich) while they look the other way at a Philadelphia team that intentionally skids to the bottom to try and snag a star in the lottery speaks volumes about how messed up the priorities are in the NBA. Blaming the quality of play on the players is nuts. Watching Dallas trade Olynyk away and then they make the big trade for Rajon Rondo is another prime example of poor management. Boston is building the right way. There are some franchises that are learning.

+1. Teams near the bottom are incentivized to be the worst they can be. Adding a couple of additional teams wouldn't lower the floor. New teams will either join those competing for the playoffs, or (if they are terrible) push the purposefully tanking teams to actually try to win games, since it will be that much more difficult to get in the lottery.

ZagaZags
05-22-2015, 11:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFogM-hWYAA5ucv.jpg

Check out interview at link. ( Great interview.)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5oUd4Xa7lBQa1ZWZlVhVTRfOTg/edit?pli=1

Goshzagit
05-23-2015, 07:22 AM
kinda surprised no Byron Wesley? One of the leading scorers in the Pac-12. Solid athleticism. Team player.

He features elite level moves to the hoop, yet most likely his awkward/inconsistent shot holding him out.

Mantua
05-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Honest question: is Kevin Pangos as NBA ready of a player as Matthew Dellavedova? He made it to the NBA. We know how they stack up seeing them both play. I honestly think the only reason Delly gets the nod over Kevin is his height. Otherwise they are very comparable players. Obviously they went about things in different ways as far as their game, but both were just solid. I do think Pangos can make it. If Stocks can, Kevin can!

Curry was recruited by very few colleges.

Delly wasn't invited to the NBA Combine.

Kevin might get drafted anyway. Or he could play his way on to a team as did Dellavedova. Kevin's high IQ and shooting plus his work ethic could easily land him a spot in the NBA. Curry's dominance might have coaches taking a second look at smaller point guards at the moment. Kevin is a smart player and a great teammate.

DixieZag
05-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Curry was recruited by very few colleges.

Delly wasn't invited to the NBA Combine.

Kevin might get drafted anyway. Or he could play his way on to a team as did Dellavedova. Kevin's high IQ and shooting plus his work ethic could easily land him a spot in the NBA. Curry's dominance might have coaches taking a second look at smaller point guards at the moment. Kevin is a smart player and a great teammate.

I would also like to think that to the right teams, with the right type of approach, not being a complete jerk, matters.

It seems that there will always be a point where a guy is just right on the line where "should we give him a shot?" is about 50/50. It seemed like Sacre landed right on that line.

But, who doesn't like big Rob? Is Rob going to be a problem in the locker room? Is he going to need to make bail at 3:00 a.m.? Will he work hard to be his best? I think the answer to all those questions help (same with Ronny). I think it might have played a role in Elias coming close with the Lakers..

I would like to think (but don't 'know') that not being a jerk makes a difference for guys like Sacre, Elias, David, Delly, Kevin.

Zag_Dad
05-24-2015, 09:23 AM
I would also like to think that to the right teams, with the right type of approach, not being a complete jerk, matters.

It seems that there will always be a point where a guy is just right on the line where "should we give him a shot?" is about 50/50. It seemed like Sacre landed right on that line.

But, who doesn't like big Rob? Is Rob going to be a problem in the locker room? Is he going to need to make bail at 3:00 a.m.? Will he work hard to be his best? I think the answer to all those questions was "yes" (same with Ronny). I think it might have played a role in Elias coming close with the Lakers..

I would like to think (but don't 'know') that not being a jerk makes a difference for guys like Sacre, Elias, David, Delly, Kevin.

Wait? If the answer to all is "yes", that means that Sacre is going to need to make bail at 3:00 am! Hmm... I hope you're wrong about that :)

DixieZag
05-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Wait? If the answer to all is "yes", that means that Sacre is going to need to make bail at 3:00 am! Hmm... I hope you're wrong about that :)

Good catch. :)

Have a good long weekend.

Coach Crazy
05-24-2015, 01:54 PM

But, who doesn't like big Rob? Is Rob going to be a problem in the locker room? Is he going to need to make bail at 3:00 a.m.? Will he work hard to be his best? I think the answer to all those questions help (same with Ronny). I think it might have played a role in Elias coming close with the Lakers..

Sacre's biggest thing was the fact that Jim Buss liked him as a player. Which doesn't exactly bode well a player, IMO. It will be interesting to see how Sacre does away from that pile of dysfunction that is the Lake-show.

seacatfan
05-24-2015, 02:14 PM
I think the more interesting speculative question about Duncan is if he would actually stay for 4 years if he was a college student now. Even then it was a little surprising he came back for his Sr. year, but it's a totally different era now. He was a no name prospect originally but obviously blossomed during his college career.

seacatfan
05-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Patty Mills washed out of the League fairly quickly after he was originally drafted. It was several years later he actually found a niche with the Spurs after playing overseas.

Naph
05-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Patty Mills washed out of the League fairly quickly after he was originally drafted. It was several years later he actually found a niche with the Spurs after playing overseas.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millspa02.html

Patty has played every year in the NBA since being drafted. Sure, he played internationally during the lockout and was uncontracted. But is it really washing out when you get picked up as soon as possible post-lockout?

seacatfan
05-24-2015, 04:53 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millspa02.html

Patty has played every year in the NBA since being drafted. Sure, he played internationally during the lockout and was uncontracted. But is it really washing out when you get picked up as soon as possible post-lockout?

My mistake. I really thought he was out of the League for several years. I felt like Portland got a steal getting him well into the 2nd round, but obviously it didn't pan out for him there.

DixieZag
05-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Sacre's biggest thing was the fact that Jim Buss liked him as a player. Which doesn't exactly bode well a player, IMO. It will be interesting to see how Sacre does away from that pile of dysfunction that is the Lake-show.

I like to be naÔve and innocent, but can't the fact that "Jim Buss liked him as a player" still support my thesis that when things get close to the line, you go with guys that are good for the locker room, keep morale up, don't cause problems? And go give it 110%?

Coach Crazy
05-24-2015, 05:30 PM
I like to be naÔve and innocent, but can't the fact that "Jim Buss liked him as a player" still support my thesis that when things get close to the line, you go with guys that are good for the locker room, keep morale up, don't cause problems? And go give it 110%?

If those are the reasons for liking him as a player. However, I don't think that just because someone is partial to you, means we can assert that your aforementioned reasons are the most logical conclusions.

I doubt I'll get more information beyond that, but if I ever do, I'll share.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-25-2015, 06:25 AM

Patty Mills is the heir apparent to Tony Parker and will eventually be Pop's starting PG in San Antonio.

Marcus
05-26-2015, 09:33 AM
As per the Lakers Twitter account, Kevin is working out with the Lakers today. The Lakers sure seem to love our Zags.

CanadianZagFan
05-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Patty Mills is the heir apparent to Tony Parker and will eventually be Pop's starting PG in San Antonio.

Not sure that is fact. Mills plays well off the bench and suits that role well. Cory Joseph has been the starter when Parker has been out. Mills is not going anywhere, but I don't think he is the starter of the future in San Antonio either.

Mojo13
05-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Not sure that is fact. Mills plays well off the bench and suits that role well. Cory Joseph has been the starter when Parker has been out. Mills is not going anywhere, but I don't think he is the starter of the future in San Antonio either.

In my opinion, Patty is a bit of an inefficient chucker who can't play D. His is a 6'0 SG masquerading as a PG and only works well in San Antonio because of his bench role next to Manu who ends up as the playmaking PG masquerading as the SG. Manu is an old man and doesn't have much left in him.

As said above, Cory Joseph has really been Parkers back-up of late. That said Cory Joseph is a RFA and has a 50/50 shot of staying in San Antonio, where they signed Patty last year for a few years and are now stuck with him. The only thing Patty can do better than Cory Joseph is shoot threes, Joseph is better at pretty much anything else.

And Sacre is definitely a "personality guy" - if he wasn't such a great locker room / practice guy, no way would he still be on the Lakers.

RenoZag
05-26-2015, 02:49 PM
From the Lakers Web Site: Brief Interview with K. Pangos after workout

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/150526LakersDraftWorkoutsPangos

He's scrappy indeed. . .good luck, KP

hooter73
05-26-2015, 09:41 PM
There is no one that cant not root for him.