PDA

View Full Version : Few Named Head Coach for PanAm Games Team

Angelo Roncalli
05-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Mark Few of Gonzaga University will serve as head coach of the 2015 U.S. Pan American Men’s Basketball Team, while the University of Colorado’s Tad Boyle and longtime NBA coach Mike Brown were selected as assistant coaches.

The 2015 Pan American Games men’s basketball competition will take place July 21-25 in Toronto, Canada. The 12-member U.S. Pan American Men’s Basketball Team will be comprised of current professionals who are in the NBA Development League or playing overseas, as well as returning collegiate players.

The USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee is responsible for selecting the U.S. coaching staff, which is approved by the United States Olympic Committee.

“Our U.S. Pan American Basketball Team is going to benefit from the combined coaching skills of Coach Few, Coach Boyle and Coach Brown,” said Jim Boeheim (Syracuse University), chair of the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee. “This group of players is fortunate to have a staff with successful backgrounds at the college and professional levels. Coach Few already has been a part of a gold-medal winning staff with USA Basketball, while Coach Boyle and Coach Brown are tremendous additions to the program.”

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/05/coaches-named-for-mens-pan-american-games.aspx

Great honor.

David Stockton as a point guard?

Mojo13
05-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Lol - he could end up coaching against KO, Sacre, Pangos and Wiltjer all at once!

MDABE80
05-07-2015, 09:08 AM
It's a very big deal. Opens doors...........congrats to coach Few...........hard work being paid off with more hard work!!

GoZags
05-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Lorenzo Romar one of 3 coaches on the Committee (in addition to Chair Jim Boeheim). The whole Romar hates Few meme (Montlake generated) seems to have taken a "hit".
----

"The USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee also includes NCAA appointees: Bob McKillop (Davidson), Matt Painter (Purdue) and Lorenzo Romar (Washington); and athlete representative Curtis Sumpter, who won a gold medal with USA Basketball at the 2004 FIBA Americas U20 Championship and a bronze medal at the 2011 Pan American Games."

SLOZag
05-07-2015, 11:24 AM
"University of Colorado head coach Tad Boyle and longtime NBA coach Mike Brown were selected as assistants."

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210074412

It will be interesting to see if Few is able to develop a relationship with Boyle such that we can schedule a home and home series with Colorado. Or to become our pre-season scrimmage partner.

sittingon50
05-07-2015, 11:47 AM
IIRC, Boyle brought his club to K2 when he was at No. Colorado. Seem to remember that he & Few already had a coaching relationship back then. But agree SLO, would like to see his new team up here.

DixieZag
05-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Lol - he could end up coaching against KO, Sacre, Pangos and Wiltjer all at once!

THAT would be so funny.

If those four got on the floor at the same time for Team Canada, if I were Pangos, I'd be tempted to start calling out Zag sets and see if Few could stop them. :)

sittingon50
05-07-2015, 03:46 PM
THAT would be so funny.

If those four got on the floor at the same time for Team Canada, if I were Pangos, I'd be tempted to start calling out Zag sets and see if Few could stop them. :)

:roll:

OZZY
05-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Well played!

RenoZag
05-07-2015, 06:29 PM
THAT would be so funny.

If he ran Duke's defense, probably. . .

BULLDOG#1
05-07-2015, 07:20 PM
well deserved honor.
Congrats to coach Few.

DixieZag
05-07-2015, 08:38 PM
If he ran Duke's defense, probably. . .

Is the game played in a dome?

If not, I think Pangos and Wiltjer shoot a little better from outside and the Duke Defense gets a run for its money.

Baseline
05-07-2015, 10:24 PM
A great honor for Few and GU!

This is one more way to get Few and GU known to the players and will help in recruiting. Nice to have the coach of the Pan Am games come calling.

Birddog
05-08-2015, 03:20 AM
Few Named Head Coach for PanAm Games Team
Yep, there's usually only one per team.

Angelo Roncalli
05-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Yep, there's usually only one per team.

Well played.