PDA

View Full Version : NW-G Press Release

Angelo Roncalli
05-06-2015, 02:01 PM
May 6, 2015
Gonzaga University Sports Information
For Immediate Release

Men’s Basketball Adds UW Transfer Nigel Williams-Goss

SPOKANE, Wash. – Nigel Williams-Goss, a former McDonald’s All-American and University of Washington guard, signed a financial aid agreement at Gonzaga University and will join the men’s basketball team.

Williams-Goss will enroll in classes at Gonzaga this summer and be eligible for the 2016-17 season after sitting out the upcoming season due to NCAA transfer rules. He’ll have two years of eligibility remaining.

“Nigel is a proven high-level player who possesses all of the qualities that we admire here at Gonzaga,” head coach Mark Few said. “He’s a very driven, team-oriented guy and is excited to be a part of this program. He’s also been great in the classroom as an Academic All-American, which fits in with our history of academic success. We are really excited to get him in here and help him develop the next part of his game.”

As impressive as Williams-Goss was on the court this season in leading the Huskies at 15.6 points and 5.9 assists per game, he was also one of only two sophomores in the nation to earn Capital One Academic All-America honors. The Happy Valley, Ore., native posted a 3.74 grade-point average in pre-social science with the intent of pursuing a double major in communication and psychology.

Williams-Goss was one of 16 finalists for the Bob Cousy Award given to the nation’s top point guard. He ranked seventh in the Pac-12 in scoring, second in assists per game and third in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.08). He also led the Pac-12 in minutes played, averaging 36.8 per game. He reached double figures in scoring 23 times in 30 games played and led the team in assists 23 times, while posting a season-high 31 points against Cal.

Williams-Goss joins a Gonzaga squad coming off of an Elite Eight finish and school-record 35 wins. The Zags graduated three players, guards Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell Jr. and Byron Wesley.

Kiddwell
05-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Guess it doesn't get any more official than that. :cheers:

:]

gonzagafan62
05-06-2015, 03:03 PM
I was wondering when this was coming out

gonzagacfen
05-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Gonzaga Basketball @ZagMbb
Introducing our newest Zag, repping #5 Nigel Williams-Goss! Welcome to the squad Nigel! goza.gs/1AFYfrV pic.twitter.com/FGhcsAemt9
2:50pm - 6 May 15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEWpJpJWgAAssQi.png

Looks much better in a Zags uni

TheZagPhish
05-06-2015, 04:14 PM
#5!

ZagNative
05-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Slipper Still Fits has an excellent interview (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/5/6/8562111/nigel-williams-goss-transfer-gonzaga-uw) with someone at the Dogpound about Nigel. Really interesting stuff ...

gonzagafan62
05-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Slipper Still Fits has an excellent interview (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/5/6/8562111/nigel-williams-goss-transfer-gonzaga-uw) with someone at the Dogpound about Nigel. Really interesting stuff ...

Sounds like they are trying to downplay everything and make everything into sour grapes. Sucks to be a husky but geez

DixieZag
05-06-2015, 04:43 PM

Whoa.

There is a little bit of concerning stuff in there.

I am hoping that this "nice" DogPound member is demonstrating a little bitterness in his opinion.

The stuff about needing the ball in his hands and how it can possibly work with Perkins already playing the point, and. . . .

Well, evidently NWG has figured this out in his head. I just hope the conclusion was "it doesn't matter b/c I can beat out anyone at the position" - b/c Few doesn't play that way. The job is clearly Perkin's for as long as he stays. Soooo, it would appear the NWG is going to have to learn to love playing off the ball, that Perk might jump to the NBA, or there could be some pt issues.

Almost a "must read" article, yet hopefully there's a lot of bitterness leaking through.

Coach Crazy
05-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Whoa.

There is a little bit of concerning stuff in there.

I am hoping that this "nice" DogPound member is demonstrating a little bitterness in his opinion.

The stuff about needing the ball in his hands and how it can possibly work with Perkins already playing the point, and. . . .

Well, evidently NWG has figured this out in his head. I just hope the conclusion was "it doesn't matter b/c I can beat out anyone at the position" - b/c Few doesn't play that way. The job is clearly Perkin's for as long as he stays. Soooo, it would appear the NWG is going to have to learn to love playing off the ball, that Perk might jump to the NBA, or there could be some pt issues.

Almost a "must read" article, yet hopefully there's a lot of bitterness leaking through.

I'm just surprised that they are trying to pass his play off as being so linear and rigid. He was playing in a system that was essentially free-flow to a large extent. And one thing that will continue to change, is the flexibility that is provided for Mark Few in getting more talented and athletic players. He'll still use his foundational offense, but you're going to see a more fluid, varied style that evolves and builds from it. It really won't matter who's the majority ball handler in 2016, because they'll hopefully be playing so dynamically that it just becomes the flow of the game.

seacatfan
05-06-2015, 06:44 PM
I think we've seen it plenty of times at Gonzaga already, there doesn't have to be a dynamic where one guy is THE point guard, and the other guy plays off the ball. There can be a two PG system. Having two players that can initiate the offense, or reset the offense midway thru the shot clock and try to make something happen, is not a bad thing. That I can think of Q Hall/Santangelo, Dickau/Stepp and Pangos/Stockton for sure. Possibly others. For a year or two Goodson would primarily be the guy to dribble the ball down the court, but then he would hand it off and either Bouldin or Gray would really be the one to start the offensive set.

gonzagafan62
05-06-2015, 07:01 PM
I think we've seen it plenty of times at Gonzaga already, there doesn't have to be a dynamic where one guy is THE point guard, and the other guy plays off the ball. There can be a two PG system. Having two players that can initiate the offense, or reset the offense midway thru the shot clock and try to make something happen, is not a bad thing. That I can think of Q Hall/Santangelo, Dickau/Stepp and Pangos/Stockton for sure. Possibly others. For a year or two Goodson would primarily be the guy to dribble the ball down the court, but then he would hand it off and either Bouldin or Gray would really be the one to start the offensive set.

Exactly. We have had people think we are crazy trying to get more talent like NWG and JW3 but do those people forget that we started Marquis Carter and Demetri in tournament games? Obviously they worked hard and got there and won a game but geez, from where we were then to the monster we have become ... I am willing to take chances to creep to the next level. We are just missing one more thing. Recruiting these guys out of high school. And to a point it's started to trickle in lately with Collins, and Perkins. We are a very small step away from it being consistent. We are almost there. We need a final four bad.

MDABE80
05-06-2015, 08:20 PM
"Whoa.

There is a little bit of concerning stuff in there." <Dixie says. Like what.????
two pg's are common here. I think Josh and Goss will do very well together. Bothneed extensive LD shooting and I hope they feed each other.
That interview doesn't say much except the chicksht barbs onemight expect.
He'll be much better here with the team concept AND good coaching.....little of which Romar does.

HenneZag
05-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I am excited to see what these 2 do together on the court. I am all for bringing in the talent. NWG is a very bright kid as he works very hard academically. Not saying that means he won't cause a stir, just saying I think he understands the situation he is coming in to. Perkins will be our PG, he is talented, deserving, and very skilled for that position. Once both these guys start clicking together It will be fun to watch unfold. Clearly they both need to be able to hit the 3 at a decent rate to keep the defense honest. These two players with Melson/Alberts will be a fun combo to watch, and bring a different element to what we are used to seeing at GU.

If we can bring in guys like Wesley/KW/EM/NWG and help elevate their games to another level, we will continue to attract not only high level transfers, but elite level long term guys.

Keep up the good work FEW!

zagfan24
05-07-2015, 03:18 AM

TSSF: Early reports with had MSU, Gonzaga, Georgetown, UNLV, Texas, Arkansas and Providence on NWG's transfer list. Were you surprised by his final choice?

BK: I think he was trying to take the easiest path possible to get to the NCAA Tournament, honestly. Without Williams-Goss, the Zags are headed to the dance. Every one of those other teams is going to have a lot of question marks and a much tougher schedule.

This comment tells you all you need to know about the bias and thus validity of the other part of the interview. Sour grapes with a side of envy.

TexasZagFan
05-07-2015, 06:25 AM
"Whoa.

There is a little bit of concerning stuff in there." <Dixie says. Like what.????
two pg's are common here. I think Josh and Goss will do very well together. Bothneed extensive LD shooting and I hope they feed each other.
He'll be much better here with the team concept AND good coaching.....little of which Romar does.

With the 30 second clock, you're better off with two point guards on the court. IMO

DixieZag
05-07-2015, 06:43 AM
"Whoa.

That's not what I was referring to, but, carry on.

dnj116
05-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Since we're on the topic of press releases, here's the UW Dawg Pound's press release of NWG's transfer decision (http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2015/5/3/8540043/nigel-williams-goss-elects-to-transfer-to-gonzaga) (the UW equivalent of SSF). Only a two sentence blurb regarding the transfer to Gonzaga, but the comments are interesting . . . I mean, if you're into that sorta thing.

kitzbuel
05-07-2015, 09:42 AM
TSSF: Early reports with had MSU, Gonzaga, Georgetown, UNLV, Texas, Arkansas and Providence on NWG's transfer list. Were you surprised by his final choice?

BK: I think he was trying to take the easiest path possible to get to the NCAA Tournament, honestly.

As opposed to the way UW gets to the tournament?

Zagdawg
05-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Denial is not just a river in Egypt .......just saying.

Good to read some of the special stuff from the husky base......looking forward to the beatdowns at the bank starting up again.

Apparently --per some of the dawg posters --NWG is now the reason behind the season they had this year.

Go Zags

gonzagacfen
05-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Nigel Williams-Goss @nigelwg0
Looking forward to the next chapter in my life and I couldn't be more excited about joining the GONZAGA FAMILY! God is the sole leader of my life & journey and I'm just along for the ride. Everything happens for a reason and I trust the places he takes me. Sitting out this up coming season will be extremely tough but believe it won't go to waste! A year to train and completely focusing on getting better is going to be a phenomenal opportunity. Never cheating the grind... #ZagUp !!!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/07/d26ccd22e8491ce214c6b2df11290af4.jpg

zagfan94
05-07-2015, 06:11 PM
If anyone wants to get to know Nigel a little bit better check out some of these video from his high school days https://www.youtube.com/user/FINDLAYSEASON/videos. To me he came across as kind, laid back and soft-spoken. Unless that went away when his dreads did I think the assertions being made are just grapes with a very low PH level.

zag67
05-08-2015, 04:19 AM
First I want to tell Nigel welcome. I love hearing that the coaches went to Perkins first and then the team and got their input. We will be losing Dranginis and McClellan I think that Nigel will be a great addition. The two point guard concept has proven to work for GU and allows the stress of bringing the ball up to be shared.
Perkins, Nigel, Melson and Alberts gives us a solid base at the 1 - 3 positions for the following year. The coaches are doing a great job of transitioning experience into the lineup. The teams and coaches have had to change each year to best utilize the new players and I give all of them an A for their efforts. Also we have a solid set of bigs in Sabonis, Edwards, and Collins. And yes I do believe we will get Sabonis for his junior year.

Reborn
05-08-2015, 05:44 AM
I am so excited to have Nigel Goss-Williams in the Zag stable. I don't fully understand why there would be any concern. As Few has said many times, recruiting is about getting the best athlete available. And then build your team around your talent. Of course a two guard offense will work. The best example, and it's fresh in our minds, is Duke's team this year. They had two great point guards, and they won the national championship. And both guards at Duke were able to score and I think both were happy. If Sabonis stays for his Junior year, Gonzaga will have a first team All-American playing power forward. UW never had that while Goss-Williams was playing for them.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2015, 06:50 AM
If Goss and Josh (hmmm....) channel DD and Blake, I wd be a happy Zag fan........talent wins out.........

LongIslandZagFan
05-08-2015, 07:01 AM
Man those Huskies seem bitter.

hooter73
05-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Bitter, but they do make points of not being a good jump shooter or very fast. Things that we generally only get one or the other from in our normal recruits, so I guess I dont get why if hes so limited that hes projected as a pro prospect?

As far as playing time goes, as always it will work itself out but Wades first year and Goss's last year may not necessarily coincide with Perkins last year as well if you know what Im saying.

cjm720
05-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Bitter, but they do make points of not being a good jump shooter or very fast. Things that we generally only get one or the other from in our normal recruits, so I guess I dont get why if hes so limited that hes projected as a pro prospect?

As far as playing time goes, as always it will work itself out but Wades first year and Goss's last year may not necessarily coincide with Perkins last year as well if you know what Im saying.

He's not limited, was just on a bad team. He won the three point contest in the All-American game in HS. Last year had awesome stats, 16, 6, 5. Consider as having the best floater in college basketball. He's very smart. And he has size. NBA is not unrealistic, but he must prove that his sophomore shooting % was an aberration...I think it was, why? Because UW sucked and he had to put the team on his back resulting in less efficient shooting.

We got a gem.

cjm720
05-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Man those Huskies seem bitter.

It's so funny

MDABE80
05-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Amazingly great attitude as he attacks his year off to improve himself. He's looking at this is the best possible way. So glad to have him for 2 years.
I wish we could have EMAC for another as well. We had him for a half year and upcoming, we'll have him for another.

Zagdawg
10-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Video to pass some time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAYZ5PkhoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJQbEipBsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiMnQmei6ns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbZyz2NAmK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqq5582-gEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFctY81--Sg