PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Williams-Goss is a Zag

BobZag
05-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 8m8 minutes ago
Nigel Williams-Goss told ESPN he will transfer to Gonzaga. Huge for the Zags.

Kiddwell
05-03-2015, 09:46 AM
:000tens::000tens: Wowzers! :000tens: :adored:

:]

MDABE80
05-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Welcome aboard NIGEL!!! Huge boost!

zagsfanforlife
05-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Wow. Williams-Goss was a STUD in the pac12. He will be even better in the wcc.

Perkins/Melson
Williams-Goss/Melson
Alberts/ Some other stud recruit
Sabonis/Norrain
Collins

Zags arent going away anytime soon. Wohoooo.

Ekrub
05-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Haven't stayed up on this.... Does he play next year or have to redshirt?

zagsfanforlife
05-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Does this put us now at 3 open scholarships for next year?

Jakester425
05-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Haven't stayed up on this.... Does he play next year or have to redshirt?

Has to redshirt.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh man! Welcome aboard, Nigel.

kclubfounder
05-03-2015, 10:22 AM
I know some Dawgs whose heads may explode.

:lmao:

seacatfan
05-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Wow, that is big news! Might be getting a little ahead of myself but Perkins/Wiliams-Goss could be the best 2 PG backcourt seen yet at GU. There seems to be a good track record for transfers from UW to GU. This certainly solves the problem of needing another PG after the 15-16 season while waiting for Wade to complete his mission. Poor Huskies fans, this adds insult to injury. They should put themselves out of their misery and jump on the Zags bandwagon already and quit wasting their time with the purple and gold.

23dpg
05-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Not only is this kid an improved jump shot away from the NBA, he is an outstanding student. Huge, huge get for the Zags!!!

Ekrub
05-03-2015, 10:36 AM
More from goodman
The redshirt year that Kelly Olynyk took at Gonzaga has turned out to be one of the best things to ever happen to that program.
Olynyk revamped his body and excelled, which caught Kyle Wiltjer's attention. Williams-Goss told @GoodmanESPN their success influenced him.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Not only is this kid an improved jump shot away from the NBA, he is an outstanding student. Huge, huge get for the Zags!!!

Not to mention generous and willing to accommodate his teammates! This is wonderful to hear:

https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/594932913247952896

Marcus
Wow, this is awesome news.

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Huge Get!!! Few sure does love his 2 pg lineups.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12812648/nigel-williams-goss-commits-gonzaga-bulldogs

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Not to mention generous and willing to accommodate his teammates! This is wonderful to hear:

https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/594932913247952896 Ha, I posted my post without reading the tweet you posted. Great minds think alike. lol

GoZags
05-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Congratulations to Nigel on 2 fronts .... a) recently becoming U. of Washington's 1st ever Academic All American (3rd team).... and b) becoming a Zag.

Here's hoping Nigel becomes Mark Few's 3rd member of the "Bill Walton Double/Double" Club .... i.e. First Team AP (Top 5) All American and First Team (Top 5) Academic All American. Dan Dickau and Kelly Olynyk are the other 2 (and Walton did it 3 times). FWIW John Stockton was a First Team (Top 5) Academic All American as well, but was never honored nationally for his contributions on the floor (just for his efforts in the classroom) ....

Note: Harvard was among NWG's finalists coming out of high school.

seacatfan
05-03-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm really curious what UW fans are saying. Their free board on Scout is totally dead. There are some threads on their premium board but I'm not paying for that.

229SintoZag
05-03-2015, 11:03 AM
A couple of thoughts:

1) You cannot really criticize NWG for this move. How can you blame a guy who clearly just wants to play for a winning team and play in the NCAA tournament, and get great coaching and development to prepare for a pro career? I am sure he realized Dickau did the same and became an All American at GU as well. Winning attracts winners.

2) On this point, I must point out how impressed I was when NWG was interviewed by Softy on KJR in Seatltle a few days after he announced he was leaving UW. At that point I had no idea where he would be going, but I was just fantastically impressed with the way NWG handled the interview. He did not say one bad thing about UW or Romar, and he had no sour grapes about anything at UW. He was a class act, articulate, and very impressive. I thought then that he would be a guy any team would be proud and lucky to get. Which makes me even that much happier that we got him. Given how solid he was already as a top Pac 12 player, I cannot fathom how good he is going to be with a readshirt year to work his tail off and improve.

I continue to believe we are just now entering the beginning years of what will be Gonzaga's best years, and this type of news only solidifies that impression.

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Anyone else find it interesting that the young Washington high schoolers, i.e Thyublle and the other kid all choose UDub over us, enamored with the glitz and glamor of a PAC program in a big city, but the vets, quickly realize what a moribund, irrelevant program the really are and that Romar is not a good coach and quickly transfer outta dodge?

MDABE80
05-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Kudos to the administrations of years past and present for deveoping fertile ground to get these great kids to come to GU. This program doesn't happen by magic. Lots of thoughts, chance taking, energy and alumni and industrial support makes lll this happen.
This, in some ways, is a sentinel moment in program development. Glad we have Nigel coming. There will be more.

hooter73
05-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Couple early highlight vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnL4TTgiOg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAYZ5PkhoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxEvuxjsf2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YatYs6bDe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiMnQmei6ns

and a more recent one Clips at .40, 1:20, 1:50, 2:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuQJN1xf3zk

jchocolate99
05-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Nice nab for GU... I wonder if this lights a fire under Melson cause I see this affecting him more than anyone else on the team

seacatfan
05-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Nice nab for GU... I wonder if this lights a fire under Melson cause I see this affecting him more than anyone else on the team

3 guard lineup of Perkins, Williams-Goss and Melson would be a lot bigger than a 3 guard lineup of Pangos, Stockton and Bell that we saw plenty of for a couple seasons. Who knows what high school players or transfers will be added between now and then, but I would think either Melson or Alberts would have a good chance of starting along side the 2 PG in '16-'17.

Zagdawg
05-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Great news--- Welcome to the Zag family!

GoZags pays to hang out on their board--maybe he can fill us in on what they are saying----

From some of the message titles "Why doesn't Romar restrict him from signing with Gonzaga", "Sayanora--way to burn a bridge" and "Rivalry just got juicier"

Should be some interesting comments.

sittingon50
05-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Whoa..............

Marcus
05-03-2015, 12:27 PM
More from goodman
The redshirt year that Kelly Olynyk took at Gonzaga has turned out to be one of the best things to ever happen to that program.
Olynyk revamped his body and excelled, which caught Kyle Wiltjer's attention. Williams-Goss told @GoodmanESPN their success influenced him.

I kind of thought the same thing. Kelly's redshirt year with his immediate and incredible success afterwards has been so huge for the program. To have Kyle follow suit and be one of the best players in the country is another important addition to this story. If Nigel can come in and make significant improvements to his already great skillset Travis Knight, the coaches and Gonzaga will be first in every transfers list of destinations.

ZagaZags
05-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Another fantastic transfer, this is an embarrassment of riches. Getting Goss is going to make the games with UW much more fun. Maybe down the road we see this isn't the last transfer we see from UW.

Great way to start the month.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Data-Star-Trek-Fist-Pump.gif

GoZags
05-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Great news--- Welcome to the Zag family!

GoZags pays to hang out on their board--maybe he can fill us in on what they are saying----

From some of the message titles "Why doesn't Romar restrict him from signing with Gonzaga", "Sayanora--way to burn a bridge" and "Rivalry just got juicier"

Should be some interesting comments.

No. I don't pay to hang out on their board. One of the perks of having a lifelong friend "run" their site. Thus far it's been a mixture of WCC bashing, NWG bashing and NWG "congrats".

ProjectMKUltra5
05-03-2015, 12:53 PM
I kind of thought the same thing. Kelly's redshirt year with his immediate and incredible success afterwards has been so huge for the program. To have Kyle follow suit and be one of the best players in the country is another important addition to this story. If Nigel can come in and make significant improvements to his already great skillset Travis Knight, the coaches and Gonzaga will be first in every transfers list of destinations.

NGW coming in and making significant improvements would go so far beyond just transfers. Eventually these guys are going to understand that going to GU from the jump is better for everyone.

CdAZagFan
05-03-2015, 12:53 PM
So many positive things going in the Zags favor... Olynyk/Wiltjer redshirt success, elite 8 exposure last year, Wesley's transfer and success last year (just to mention three)... I believe will keep paying big dividends.

jazzdelmar
05-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Great future fit. Still need a 3 and maybe a 2 for upcoming year.

GonzaGAW
05-03-2015, 12:57 PM
my bloomsday, day keeps getting better and better.

I just want to jump on board, and send out a shout to nigel, thanks buddy, this will be a good move on your part.
we wish you all the success you could hope for.

jchocolate99
05-03-2015, 01:03 PM
3 guard lineup of Perkins, Williams-Goss and Melson would be a lot bigger than a 3 guard lineup of Pangos, Stockton and Bell that we saw plenty of for a couple seasons. Who knows what high school players or transfers will be added between now and then, but I would think either Melson or Alberts would have a good chance of starting along side the 2 PG in '16-'17.

yeah, which ever lineup we use should be effective plus it's just going to make competition and practice that much more fierce. What I really like about this though is that Nigel will be going up against Perkins everyday in practice which should help keep Perkins sharp and better overall. Nigel isn't going to take Perkins starting spot but just knowing Nigel is nipping at the heels helps to eliminate complacency

webspinnre
05-03-2015, 01:09 PM
I seem to remember the last point/combo guard transferring over from UW doing pretty well here... :)

seacatfan
05-03-2015, 01:21 PM
There was a point several years ago when I had some concerns about the overall direction the program was going. There were quite a few recruiting misses (ie. players that were signed and didn't pan out at all). I know they are folk heroes here, but to me Stockton and Hart playing as many minutes as they did at GU bespoke a lack of quality depth during those years. Whether my skepticism was justified or not, things are definitely on a great trajectory in recent years. As noted the success of Olynk and Wiltjer has been huge. Getting HS recruits like Perkins and Collins is a big positive, hopefully more will follow soon. In addition to Wiltjer, transfers like Wesley and NWG being added to the fold. Of course the international recruiting has been a hugely positive factor at GU for years. Last year was a banner season, and it doesn't look like the Zags will be fading any time soon.

seacatfan
05-03-2015, 01:28 PM
I seem to remember the last point/combo guard transferring over from UW doing pretty well here... :)

There's the obvious one of course, but before the GU train really got rolling Jeff Brown was a very good transfer for the Zags from Washington. And while he didn't really live up to expectations Erroll Knight was a contributor as well. UW has been good to GU, both in providing players and W's on the court.

CDC84
05-03-2015, 01:37 PM
The biggest thing NWG needs to work on during his redshirt year is his outside shot. He was a 27% three point shooter last year. That number really needs to improve in order for him to become a complete player.

seacatfan
05-03-2015, 01:49 PM
The biggest thing NWG needs to work on during his redshirt year is his outside shot. He was a 27% three point shooter last year. That number really needs to improve in order for him to become a complete player.

It's very possible he's never going to be a 3 point shooting threat. He's definitely a scorer though. Wesley wasn't a great 3 point shooter at USC, I think he was actually worse his 1 year at GU though. We know Perkins and Melson can hit 3's, I haven't seen Alberts yet. Probably more perimeter players will be added in the next year. Obviously it would benefit NWG and GU if he can improve his shooting behind the arc, but he could be very productive even if he doesn't, and others may fill that role. Pargo had a very nice career at GU and was never a dependable 3 point shooter.

MDABE80
05-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Nigel needs to do a "Rotnei" (800 balls per day) if he's going to get to the AA or NBA level. Shooting from distance and a strong midrange game is what he lacks right now. IN his year off, I hope somebody works intensely with his. He's not exactly a Knight project. He can benefit for certain but he not a slouchy athlete r ight now. His shooting needs toimprove.......especially from mid and long range. He can do it. Him and Perks ( ok ok ok!) will be tough to beat. I'd advise Josh to follow too as his LD shooting isn't his strong suit. II also hope SIlas doesn't get disheartened. ALbetd right now is the best LD shooter in the stable of guards according to Few.
Lots of talent. More will come
If we can put together another season like this past one, I don't see why we can get blue chippers to come here. This past season was amazing!.much more than Kelly's last year with us. As an aside, our season ended a mere 5 weeks ago. Seems like ages! It's going to be a looooooooooong offseason. The media will hold back due to our 23 great guards leaving. Can't blame em. We have lots in the cupboard though.........just not proven quantities. Perks, EMAC and Dranginis is an excellent core.

CDC84
05-03-2015, 01:56 PM
He can't shoot 27% though. Would like to see that number get up to 35% or something like that. Enough to keep defenses honest.

The Zags were able to get away with Wesley being a bad outside shooter because the team had so many guys beside him that could shoot the three at a big time level. The Zags right now don't exactly have a plethora of proven sharpshooters on the 2016/17 roster.

seacatfan
05-03-2015, 02:10 PM
This sort of discussion keeps coming up. Kinda circular. Putting up 800 shots a day would probably improve anyone's shooting, but if it was just a matter of practicing, everybody would be a good shooter. Some guys are, some guys aren't. Rotnei certainly was, but what else could he do? He definitely wasn't a complete player, and transferring didn't change that.

Back to Pargo, was he a good player at GU? Was he ever a good shooter from distance? Did he practice that, did the staff make an attempt to improve that part of his game? You see what I'm getting at. Despite whatever was attempted, it was never a strength of his, yet he was a good, productive player that was a critical component of some very good teams.

If Sabonis shot 800 3's a day, do you think he'd ever be as good of a 3 point shooter as Wiltjer? I kinda doubt it. Practice helps, but some of it is just inherent.

MDABE80
05-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Maybe maybe not..........I'm not sure what's wrong. COaching may help with his form...other things might too. I don't believe 800 shot/day will hurt anyone. After a while )in the brain) a kid just gets used to scoring the ball. He sure must get better. He won't get worse.
Pargo improved AFTER he left GU. He actually shoots distance pretty well nowadays.
I don't know what he did.
In this day and age, technique and practice will improve almost anyone if there is structure for a kid.
It's not anything like the old days where it was just you and the ball putting in time. Krause put some very amazing machines together to help with LD shooting. I'm sure they're still there. If you watched him work with the kids on shooting you'd know he was just so intensely helpful.....never in a critical way.more like he was the friend of the kid trying to help him. a freindly uncle or something akin.
I think Nigel's shooting is decent now ( 44.6% FG).........he just needs to focus and get some coaching. He hasn't had that at UW. He'll have that here.

CDC84
05-03-2015, 02:52 PM
I don't see any reason why a player of NWG's ability can't get that 3 point percentage up to where defenses have to at least pay attention to it. He just needs to be in that 35% range. He shot 36% from three his freshman year, so it's possible. He's never going to be Rotnei Clarke. That much is obvious. I would never expect him to be a sharpshooter.

It's not just about reps...it's also about coaching. Shooting hundreds of shots per day is meaningless if you have a hitch in your shot or some other flaw in your mechanics. In fact, you could get worse as a shooter by doing that.

Unlike some of the guards of the past, NWG is going to have an entire redshirt year to improve this area of his game.

Zags_Fanatic
05-03-2015, 03:08 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/may/03/nigel-williams-goss-will-transfer-gonzaga/?hootPostID=d53a184ca916ab7e792072f375773aea

The Meehan treatment. Interesting that he talked to Romar about potentially ending up at GU and Romar was apparently ok with it.

gonzagafan62
05-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Since we couldn't have Gibbs I'm excited to get NWG

NorthoftheBorder
05-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Here's an excerpt from a DraftExpress evaluation of NWG:

Williams-Goss' appeal from a NBA perspective starts with his terrific size for a primary ball-handler. Measuring 6'4 in shoes with a 6'6' wingspan one summer ago while preparing for the U19 World Championships with USA Basketball in Colorado Springs, the Oregon native towers over some of the players he encounters at the collegiate level –a significant factor in his productive freshman season given his lack of outstanding explosiveness.

A skilled, crafty offensive player, Williams-Goss has been an adept mid-range scorer since he emerged as a prospect during his highly successful high school career at Findlay Prep thanks to his ability to use his size to find angles to score inside the arc. As a freshman, that ability to score around the paint with floaters quickly became the soon to be 20-year old's calling card, as the 68 points he scored on runners in the half-court ranked among the top-15 nationally according to Synergy Sports Technology, and his 47% conversion rate on such shots is quite impressive.

Sounds like he could be really good defensively and able to defend three different positions.

CDC84
05-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Well Sterling Gibbs would've been eligible THIS year. NWG has to sit out a year.

I have been noticing a lot of Twitter talk about Josh Perkins and how he "fits in" now that NWG has committed. All you need to do is look at the team that beat Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament this past March. Duke essentially started two point guards in Quinn Cook and Tyus Jones. They made it work. Jones may have had the ball in his hands more often, but Cook was still heavily involved in the running of the offense and with playmaking for others.

23dpg
05-03-2015, 03:58 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/may/03/nigel-williams-goss-will-transfer-gonzaga/?hootPostID=d53a184ca916ab7e792072f375773aea

The Meehan treatment. Interesting that he talked to Romar about potentially ending up at GU and Romar was apparently ok with it.

I know we make fun of Romar and the Huskies but I do believe he is a high character person.

MickMick
05-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Wow

Mantua
05-03-2015, 04:27 PM
I read the news on Twitter and could hardly wait to log in here to celebrate.

Great catch! He seems like a great kid and appreciated the support from the GU players. I liked watching him play early in the season this year until the Huskies imploded. His choice might have a very positive impact on future recruiting.

Mantua
05-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that the young Washington high schoolers, i.e Thyublle and the other kid all choose UDub over us, enamored with the glitz and glamor of a PAC program in a big city, but the vets, quickly realize what a moribund, irrelevant program the really are and that Romar is not a good coach and quickly transfer outta dodge?

I've been thinking about how their recruits, having rejected GU, might be reacting all year. I must admit that Thybulle's comments got under my skin. Maybe the new kids will all just think that they are the answer to UW's down slide. I guess that would keep them buoyed up until the season starts.

ZagLawGrad
05-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Great player. Great job by the coaches. Welcome aboard.

:000tens: :cheers:

ZagaZags
05-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Evidentially Adam Zagoria hasn't heard of Josh Perkins before.

Former Washington Guard Nigel Williams-Goss to Gonzaga.

Williams-Goss also considered UNLV, Providence and Ohio State. Gonzaga lost point guard Kevin Pangos to graduation and Williams-Goss gives them stability at the position going forward.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/former-washington-guard-nigel-williams-goss-to-gonzaga/

seacatfan
05-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Well Sterling Gibbs would've been eligible THIS year. NWG has to sit out a year.

I have been noticing a lot of Twitter talk about Josh Perkins and how he "fits in" now that NWG has committed. All you need to do is look at the team that beat Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament this past March. Duke essentially started two point guards in Quinn Cook and Tyus Jones. They made it work. Jones may have had the ball in his hands more often, but Cook was still heavily involved in the running of the offense and with playmaking for others.

The 2 PG lineup has been used well by several teams in recent years in addition to Duke. UConn won a pair of Titles with first Walker/Napier and then Napier/Boatright. Kansas won a Title with 3 guards, maybe none of which was a true PG, but all 3 smallish enough to not really be a 2G. At least 2 of them on the floor all the time, and sometimes all 3--Chalmers, Robinson and Collins. Illinois was national runner up w/ Williams and Brown. It's gotta be the right 2 guys, but obviously it can work out brilliantly.

Dogtownkid
05-03-2015, 06:17 PM
He's even got the Gonzaga hair!

doctorzag
05-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Since we couldn't have Gibbs I'm excited to get NWG

Whats this mean? Sterling Gibbs? Why cant we have him,has he committed to someone?

gonzagafan62
05-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Whats this mean? Sterling Gibbs? Why cant we have him,has he committed to someone?

He committed to uconn a couple days ago... EDIT: see next post

gonzagafan62
05-03-2015, 07:42 PM
He committed to uconn a couple days ago

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/01/seton-hall-transfer-sterling-gibbs-commits-to-uconn/

This may not be "completely accurate" a multiple sources say that he's yet to decide .... So stay tuned but it looks bleak

zagsfanforlife
05-03-2015, 07:51 PM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/01/seton-hall-transfer-sterling-gibbs-commits-to-uconn/

This may not be "completely accurate" a multiple sources say that he's yet to decide .... So stay tuned but it looks bleak

Sterling tweeted later that night that he hadnt made a decision. I doubt we get him, but man that would be a big coup.

Still think we need to add at least depth at the 2 with someone who can contribute. Maybe i havent seen enough of melson, i just dont see him being a final four starting 2 next year. Would love to be wrong though.

ZagaZags
05-03-2015, 07:53 PM

He is going to visit Pitt on Tuesday.

http://zagsblog.com/pittsburgh/sterling-gibbs-to-visit-pittsburgh/

gonzagafan62
05-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Sterling tweeted later that night that he hadnt made a decision. I doubt we get him, but man that would be a big coup.

Still think we need to add at least depth at the 2 with someone who can contribute. Maybe i havent seen enough of melson, i just dont see him being a final four starting 2 next year. Would love to be wrong though.

I feel exactly like you do. In all part of this post. Especially Melson. Would love to be wrong. Go zags

gonzagafan62
05-03-2015, 07:55 PM
He is going to visit Pitt on Tuesday.

http://zagsblog.com/pittsburgh/sterling-gibbs-to-visit-pittsburgh/

That's cool. I don't follow tweets or whatever it's called. Good to see more info. Thanks.

phxfireflames
05-03-2015, 08:13 PM
One of my favorite moments of NWG when he was at Findlay Prep against Montverde ( I believe both teams were top 5 in the country).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJQbEipBsY

Zagdawg
05-03-2015, 08:31 PM
The Kid has got ice in his veins.

Robzagnut
05-03-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm here for one reason to confirm...

So, I'm minding my own business and innocently watching Sportscenter to get the scores (damn Mariners got swept) and the ESPN ticker tape is scrolling at the bottom. Here comes NCAAM and it says, "NWG tells ESPN that he's transfering to Gonzaga. After sitting out one year he will have 2 years of eligibility."

What?!?!

So, here I am. Sweet.

sittingon50
05-03-2015, 08:55 PM
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=14035680

krozman
05-03-2015, 09:16 PM
I love the guy's response, "Some talented walk-ons and RM's are back. Relax."

UW is, this decade, basically Memphis last year caliber, at best.

Coach Crazy
05-03-2015, 09:38 PM

While living in Provo was a period of time I will never forget, in a good way(for reasons other than BYU, which I did not attend), the attitude behind that quote is one thing I will not miss. So much ignorance and hubris all in one dunce-like statement.

Bouldin4Prez
05-03-2015, 09:42 PM

What does RM stand for?

ZagaZags
05-03-2015, 09:57 PM
What does RM stand for?

Returning Missionaries.

kitzbuel
05-04-2015, 05:37 AM
One of my favorite moments of NWG when he was at Findlay Prep against Montverde ( I believe both teams were top 5 in the country).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJQbEipBsY

The Zag Nation has been collectively yearning for end of half plays like that.

Reborn
05-04-2015, 06:17 AM
Congrats to Nigel Williams-Goss and his family for committing to Gonzaga and play for the Zags. I love this kid and he's most likely going to be what Byron Wesley was and maybe more. I really like the two-guard offense, and the three-guard offenses, and Mark Few is a master of both. I think most of us here have been hoping that the Zags would hook another elite guard and he has. So far the Zags are having a great year in recruiting and it's not over. I like a couple things about Nigel. First I love his hair. He will certainly fit the mold of GU players. I think of Steven Gray, one of my All-Time favorite players at Gonzaga when I think about who Williams-Goss might be like. I believe both are warriors and will give it 110% every game. The other thing I really like about Nigel is his ability to drive to the basket and score, as well as, make some excellent passes inside. Yes. He does remind me of the Duke guards attacking the basket over and over again in the NCAA Tournament, and it was their ability to do that successfully against Gonzaga that beat the Zags. I said in a post shortly after our loss to Duke that I hope Few recruits a guard or guards who can attack the basket like the Duke guards did. I think he did exactly that. Collins and Williams-Goss in 2016-17 is definitely something to look forward to.

Zag_Dad
05-04-2015, 07:47 AM
As a Gonzaga grad living in Husky territory, I am constantly subjected to Husky fans (both alum and those who just claim "we", "us" and "our team" despite never having attending UW) who can't give Gonzaga any credit for what they have accomplished. It's always the same rant ... "GU plays in a weak conference", "GU would finish in bottom half of Pac-12 or any power conference", "GU's players are inferior to players from the major conferences"... blah, blah, blah.
It was interesting to hear them talk last week (before the NGW decision) when I started to hear some fear in their voices. It is quite the conundrum for them ... they can't claim that Gonzaga has less talented players if GU lands their leading scorer. The interesting thing I heard from them was that they feared if GU starts to land players from Rainier Beach HS and Garfield then UW will be in trouble. Landing the local talent (Oregon is local) with the GU program on the uprise and UW swirling the drain, could be the turning point where even the local HS kids will open their eyes and chose GU over UW despite the lure of the Pac-12 and big city.
Congrats to NGW... looking forward to seeing you in a Gonzaga jersey.

rennis
05-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Welcome to Gonzaga NWG! This is awesome!

Coach Crazy
05-04-2015, 09:06 AM
The interesting thing I heard from them was that they feared if GU starts to land players from Rainier Beach HS and Garfield then UW will be in trouble.

I am also in Western Washington, but this thought shows just how delusional they have become. UW is already *in* trouble. IF Gonzaga were to somehow build a pipeline to RB/Garfield, it would completely marginalize Husky basketball. That is there Helm's Deep, but there is no Gandolph, and there is Frodo to save them, if it falls.

Sam Cunliffe could end up being yet another initial domino. We are seeing a lot of those, these days.

MDABE80
05-04-2015, 09:16 AM
As a Gonzaga grad living in Husky territory, I am constantly subjected to Husky fans (both alum and those who just claim "we", "us" and "our team" despite never having attending UW) who can't give Gonzaga any credit for what they have accomplished. It's always the same rant ... "GU plays in a weak conference", "GU would finish in bottom half of Pac-12 or any power conference", "GU's players are inferior to players from the major conferences"... blah, blah, blah.
It was interesting to hear them talk last week (before the NGW decision) when I started to hear some fear in their voices. It is quite the conundrum for them ... they can't claim that Gonzaga has less talented players if GU lands their leading scorer. The interesting thing I heard from them was that they feared if GU starts to land players from Rainier Beach HS and Garfield then UW will be in trouble. Landing the local talent (Oregon is local) with the GU program on the uprise and UW swirling the drain, could be the turning point where even the local HS kids will open their eyes and chose GU over UW despite the lure of the Pac-12 and big city.

Harkens back to Angelo's post a few weeks ago when "we" was being used by UW or Seattlites referring to the Zags (who should have another amazing year coming up). I guess it's really true that people claim ownership to successful winning programs but losers are thought of a red headed stepchildren.. Either way, The program is doing better than ever. Lots of other programs have hit the FF or claim to be the "next Gonzaga".............but we are the originals..........we maintain while the pretenders fade away, lose their coach, but in the end will keep looking
at what GU's done. Somehow, it's satisfying being the genuine article. Not smug....just satisfying.

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Getting local kids has been very important during Romar's tenure, but he's never had a stranglehold on the local talent, even during the best of times. Louisville has grabbed several, Arizona, Kansas, probably a few others. Nike University snagged Aaron Brooks from Franklin, they used to be right up there with Beach and Garfield. O'Dea was another powerhouse that has faded.

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 09:34 AM
And as far as bandwagon fans, there are probably 10 x's as many Seahawks fans in the city the last several years as there used to be.

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Back to NWG, this will make the 3rd McDonald's All-American to play at GU. All 3 entered the program via transfer. Will just miss having 2 on the court together as NWG is sitting out during Wiltjer's last year. Would be really cool if the Zags can get one straight out of high school.

ProjectMKUltra5
05-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Getting local kids has been very important during Romar's tenure, but he's never had a stranglehold on the local talent, even during the best of times. Louisville has grabbed several, Arizona, Kansas, probably a few others. Nike University snagged Aaron Brooks from Franklin, they used to be right up there with Beach and Garfield. O'Dea was another powerhouse that has faded.

I think that speaks more to the abundance of talent in the area. Romar gets more then his fair share of talent from Seattle and UW is almost always one of the first to recruit and offer a local kid. If your trying to come into Seattle and get a player you likely need to go head to head with UW. It's about the only thing Romar has done right imo

hondo
05-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Back to NWG, this will make the 3rd McDonald's All-American to play at GU. All 3 entered the program via transfer. Will just miss having 2 on the court together as NWG is sitting out during Wiltjer's last year. Would be really cool if the Zags can get one straight out of high school.

Reminds me of this Mark Twain quote "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

Players also grow up a lot after they make a commitment in high school.

ZagsObserver
05-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Love the signing. The year off should give him time to work on his shot. If he is successful I anticipate he'll be gone after one year.

CDC84
05-04-2015, 10:07 AM

If Zach Collins keeps playing like he's been playing of late, you never know...........

gonzagafan62
05-04-2015, 10:34 AM
And as far as bandwagon fans, there are probably 10 x's as many Seahawks fans in the city the last several years as there used to be.

You're wrong on this, and I hate the Seahawks. They sold out an extreme number of games WELL BEFORE even their first super bowl appearance. Seahawks fans aren't bandwagoners, sorry.

EDIT: the 12th man "fan" whatever you wanna call it was be called that back in the 80s in seattle

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 10:53 AM
You're wrong on this, and I hate the Seahawks. They sold out an extreme number of games WELL BEFORE even their first super bowl appearance. Seahawks fans aren't bandwagoners, sorry.

EDIT: the 12th man "fan" whatever you wanna call it was be called that back in the 80s in seattle

Gotta disagree. They've always had some dedicated fans. But you can't go ANYWHERE without seeing numerous people decked out in Hawks gear these days. Didn't used to be like that. The diehards have been there all along, but the Hawks definitely have more casual fans than they used to.

maynard g krebs
05-04-2015, 11:09 AM
"After being chosen to play for the USA 19 and under squad in the summer of 2013, some of the coaches didn't have a clue as to who he was.... However, by the time the tournament was over, they knew him fairly well because he ended up leading the gold medal team in assists, 3 point percentage (49 percent) and minutes played."- Chris Haynes, Cleveland.com

I just had to chime in here to correct the misconception that NWG is a poor outside shooter. He was also 36% as a UW fr. His shooting form is pretty good. Also, he only had 80-some attempts last year on a very poor offensive team. I'm guessing many were tough contested shots, often late in the clock. Shooting %"s are largely a function of the quality of shots you get to take, as any shooter knows. In the Zags' offense he'll be a more than adequate 3 pt shooter simply because he'll get better shots, at least as long as he gets enough opportunities to get a rhythm.

cjm720
05-04-2015, 12:18 PM
I just had to chime in here to correct the misconception that NWG is a poor outside shooter. He was also 36% as a UW fr. His shooting form is pretty good. Also, he only had 80-some attempts last year on a very poor offensive team. I'm guessing many were tough contested shots, often late in the clock. Shooting %"s are largely a function of the quality of shots you get to take, as any shooter knows. In the Zags' offense he'll be a more than adequate 3 pt shooter simply because he'll get better shots, at least as long as he gets enough opportunities to get a rhythm.

My thoughts too...really love this fit.

kitzbuel
05-04-2015, 12:50 PM
My thoughts too...really love this fit.

The threes that Wesley got were all in the flow of the offense and gave him maximum opportunity to hit them. He hit them well enough that opponents had to guard him tightly on the perimeter.

SWZag
05-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Welcome Nigel!! Take the redshirt year and work you're tail off, the skies the limit!

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 01:02 PM
The threes that Wesley got were all in the flow of the offense and gave him maximum opportunity to hit them. He hit them well enough that opponents had to guard him tightly on the perimeter.

Wesley was under 30% on 3's at GU. I know some teams sagged off him and dared him to shoot. I'm pretty sure his % was higher at USC. All the talk when his transfer was announced was that he was a much better 3 point shooter than Coleman had been. That didn't really prove to be the case, although obviously he fit in better and was more productive than GC had been.

Zagdawg
05-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Wasnt coleman like 12% from 3?

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Wasnt coleman like 12% from 3?

I don't remember, but neither was proficient enough at it to make defenses honest.

burgesszag
05-04-2015, 02:10 PM

I was a huge Zag fan in the late 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's...Frank Burgess is my all-time favorite player...I never missed watching Burgess
score 35 or 40 on a Sunday afternoon in the old Spokane Coliseum...Counting my high school teammates, my brothers and my Dad there were no more than 1,000 or so spectators to see the best player in America...I could not afford Gonzaga so I had to attend WSU....I grew up rooting for the Zags and the Cougs..I have no love for the Huskies at all, but the Romar bashing is out of line...He is a really good man...When NGW decided on the Zags he got Romar's blessing even though he knew that he would have to face him in the near future in a game that he dearly needs to win to keep his job at UW...3 or 4 years ago Ken Bone at WSU told me he was interested in a big man who was transferring from Gonzaga...That was a No Go from Coach Few who had the Cougs on his schedule....Many on this forum criticize
the Dawgs for their bandwagon fans who never attended the UW...I believe that many of the loyal Zags who live and die for the team
have never set foot on the campus and all it would take would be 2 or 3 losing seasons and the fan base would number those
who showed up to watch Burgess...I have been a loyal Cougar Fan for 60 years and continue to support them when many of you Zags
would have jumped ship as followers of WSU...Those of us who root for the Vandals, Eagles, and Cougars sense a bit of arrogance and entitlement creeping into your midst..

zagsfanforlife
05-04-2015, 02:18 PM
I was a huge Zag fan in the late 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's...Frank Burgess is my all-time favorite player...I never missed watching Burgess
score 35 or 40 on a Sunday afternoon in the old Spokane Coliseum...Counting my high school teammates, my brothers and my Dad there were no more than 1,000 or so spectators to see the best player in America...I could not afford Gonzaga so I had to attend WSU....I grew up rooting for the Zags and the Cougs..I have no love for the Huskies at all, but the Romar bashing is out of line...He is a really good man...When NGW decided on the Zags he got Romar's blessing even though he knew that he would have to face him in the near future in a game that he dearly needs to win to keep his job at UW...3 or 4 years ago Ken Bone at WSU told me he was interested in a big man who was transferring from Gonzaga...That was a No Go from Coach Few who had the Cougs on his schedule....Many on this forum criticize
the Dawgs for their bandwagon fans who never attended the UW...I believe that many of the loyal Zags who live and die for the team
have never set foot on the campus and all it would take would be 2 or 3 losing seasons and the fan base would number those
who showed up to watch Burgess...I have been a loyal Cougar Fan for 60 years and continue to support them when many of you Zags
would have jumped ship as followers of WSU...Those of us who root for the Vandals, Eagles, and Cougars sense a bit of arrogance and entitlement creeping into your midst..

So you come on the board to bash Gonzaga fans for "bashing UW fans".. makes sense.

I really doubt it would take only 2 losing seasons for "the number of Gonzaga fans to equal Frank Burgess' years". I respectfully disagree with your assessment, sir.

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 02:27 PM
So you come on the board to bash Gonzaga fans for "bashing UW fans".. makes sense.

I really doubt it would take only 2 losing seasons for "the number of Gonzaga fans to equal Frank Burgess' years". I respectfully disagree with your assessment, sir.

I think he has a valid point though about there being many current Gonzaga fans that didn't attend Gonzaga (myself included). Winners attract fans. Just the way it goes.

realtydog
05-04-2015, 02:46 PM

winning has a way of bringing in bandwagon fans---and in my experience, they are the most vocal with negative comments about the Cougs, Eagles, etc.(local schools)--it seems they lack real equity in a team, so they're not afraid to shoot their mouths off and make the fan base appear cocky or arrogant-----because if the team goes down hill--they jump ship to the next best

Personally, I root for Idaho, EWU, the Cougs, Montana--as long as they are not playing the Zags----as far as UW....I hope they lose at all sports---and this was not the case 20 years ago-- but to me---the UW and Puget Sound both look down at GU and Spokane----I travel there a lot and there is a snobby feeling towards Spokane--in my opinion --not by all, but certainly by the politicians and most Seattle media-----and UW once thought the GU bball team was a cute story ---now they are annoyed more than ever by our attention----this is why many UW fans consider the Oregon rivalry much more important than the one with the Cougs ---UW thinks the Cougs are a cute kid brother and they don't bother UW because the Cougs are not stealing any headlines-----but the Oregon shine......fun to see my purple UW friends Green with envy

ProjectMKUltra5
05-04-2015, 03:01 PM

You superfan types crack me up. Patting yourself on the back for how long you've been a fan then turning around and calling a segment of the fanbase arrogant and entitled. Funny stuff

zagsfanforlife
05-04-2015, 03:04 PM
You superfan types crack me up. Patting yourself on the back for how long you've been a fan then turning around and calling a segment of the fanbase arrogant and entitled. Funny stuff

THIS.

OZZY
05-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Well Romar has been casting his net much further afield lately. I just got back from New Zealand where the local Christchurch paper had an article about a young centre who has just committed to UW. I also believe UW also picked up a commitment from a Canadian last week as well.

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Well Romar has been casting his net much further afield lately. I just got back from New Zealand where the local Christchurch paper had an article about a young centre who has just committed to UW. I also believe UW also picked up a commitment from a Canadian last week as well.

Uh oh. While GU tries to poach players out of UW's backyard UW is trying to tap into the lucrative foreign pipeline that GU has used to such an advantage?

Coach Crazy
05-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Uh oh. While GU tries to poach players out of UW's backyard UW is trying to tap into the lucrative foreign pipeline that GU has used to such an advantage?

Haha you know when you're from that neck of the woods, and not even offered by SMC...well, let's just say I'm not mad at Romar for building a pipeline to international 2-star territory.

zag67
05-04-2015, 05:24 PM
As a Spokane born and raised student that went to GP I am for most of the eastern teams. Watching Burgess and the early teams as I grew up was fantastic. I spent one year at Idaho and then graduated from GU. So I am one of those that roots for GU, WSU, Idaho, and Eastern. All of the others except when they play GU.

OZZY
05-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Haha you know when you're from that neck of the woods, and not even offered by SMC...well, let's just say I'm not mad at Romar for building a pipeline to international 2-star territory.

I'm not sure I would go that far....Steven Adams is a Kiwi centre and he turned out pretty darn good...

seacatfan
05-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Wait, this is getting confusing. SMC's pipeline is with the Aussies, not the Kiwis (NZ), right? Might seem about the same to us, but the inhabitants of those two island nations would vehemently disagree. There have been a BUNCH of Aussies that have been fairly significant players at US colleges and a handful that went on to the NBA. Kiwis...not so much. Anyway Steven Adams was playing at a prep school in the US for a while before his brief year at Pitt and then on to the NBA.

Coach Crazy
05-04-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure I would go that far....Steven Adams is a Kiwi centre and he turned out pretty darn good...

He was. He was also a 5-star ESPN 100 recruit, though. And I just don't know that I have seen Romar develop a player that raw into anything close to Steven Adams, let alone making significant contributions with the Dawgs?

Coach Crazy
05-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Wait, this is getting confusing. SMC's pipeline is with the Aussies, not the Kiwis (NZ), right? Might seem about the same to us, but the inhabitants of those two island nations would vehemently disagree. There have been a BUNCH of Aussies that have been fairly significant players at US colleges and a handful that went on to the NBA. Kiwis...not so much. Anyway Steven Adams was playing at a prep school in the US for a while before his brief year at Pitt and then on to the NBA.

Correct, and no they are not the same. In fact, I know that it's pretty insulting for some in either culture to be referred to other. I am aware of that. Let me make this a more generic comment: he had no other offers, and there are teams that recruit fairly regularly in that region. Keep in mind, Kentucky recruited one of his countryman Tai Wynyard. So, am I impressed that Romar went out and got a 2-star player that no one else in major D1 was offering? No. I would be ok with Romar building a fence around the 2-star scene.

OZZY
05-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Correct, and no they are not the same. In fact, I know that it's pretty insulting for some in either culture to be referred to other. I am aware of that. Let me make this a more generic comment: he had no other offers, and there are teams that recruit fairly regularly in that region. Keep in mind, Kentucky recruited one of his countryman Tai Wynyard. So, am I impressed that Romar went out and got a 2-star player that no one else in major D1 was offering? No. I would be ok with Romar building a fence around the 2-star scene.

Actually Aussies and Kiwis have more in common than say, Canadians and Americans. Isolation and history has a lot to do with it. Insulting is probably not a word you should use unless you are one or the other (I am).

seacatfan
05-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Actually Aussies and Kiwis have more in common than say, Canadians and Americans. Isolation and history has a lot to do with it. Insulting is probably not a word you should use unless you are one or the other (I am).

Aren't they at the very least the butt end of each others jokes frequently? I do know there are vast differences in geography between the two countries. The vast majority of Australia is a baking desert. New Zealand is quite a bit more lush and has much more mountainous regions than Australia does. If landscape shapes the character of the people then there would have to be some difference.

I've done a fair bit of traveling in BC and Alberta on road trips. The Canadians in the western provinces don't seem much different from Americans at all as far as I could tell.

cjm720
05-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Aren't they at the very least the butt end of each others jokes frequently? I do know there are vast differences in geography between the two countries. The vast majority of Australia is a baking desert. New Zealand is quite a bit more lush and has much more mountainous regions than Australia does. If landscape shapes the character of the people then there would have to be some difference.

I've done a fair bit of traveling in BC and Alberta on road trips. The Canadians in the western provinces don't seem much different from Americans at all as far as I could tell.

There has to be some sheep jokes...

sittingon50
05-05-2015, 01:11 PM
I've done a fair bit of traveling in BC and Alberta on road trips. The Canadians in the western provinces don't seem much different from Americans at all as far as I could tell.[/QUOTE]

They drink a lot more beer, eh!

Mojo13
05-05-2015, 01:38 PM

Bullpoop. You sir are speaking as an Australian and are unschooled in this matter.

As a Canadian (with half my family in NZ), who has lived in Australia (1 year) and NZ (2 years) and living in the U.S. the past 15 years, please allow me to educate you.

Confusing a Canadian for an American, or a Kiwi for an Aussie is highly offensive, equally insulting and might get you a beer dumped on your head.
Yet vice versa it is near meaningless - if called a Canadian or Kiwi, Americans and Aussies may let out a irreverent chuckle at worst.

It is part of the deep seeded inferiority complex us Canucks and Kiwis have towards our overwhelming neighbors driven by being relatively tiny, powerless countries next door to large overbearing countries that cannot help but culturally, politically and financially overshadow their small neighbor.

This is common across the world in big/small neighbor country relationships. Go confuse a Korean for a Japanese or Chinese and see how that goes (it is far worse because of the rough history involved). The larger partner is usually quite dismissive and ignorant of it smaller neighbor (as you have shown). It is understandable and natural the smaller partner is just relatively less important on so many levels, yet nonetheless still ever so infuriating to the minnow.

CDC84
05-05-2015, 02:02 PM
It's captivating to watch how a thread can metamorphosize into something completely different from its original subject..........

OZZY
05-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Bullpoop. You sir are speaking as an Australian and are unschooled in this matter.

As a Canadian (with half my family in NZ), who has lived in Australia (1 year) and NZ (2 years) and living in the U.S. the past 15 years, please allow me to educate you.

Confusing a Canadian for an American, or a Kiwi for an Aussie is highly offensive, equally insulting and might get you a beer dumped on your head.
Yet vice versa it is near meaningless - if called a Canadian or Kiwi, Americans and Aussies may let out a irreverent chuckle at worst.

It is part of the deep seeded inferiority complex us Canucks and Kiwis have towards our overwhelming neighbors driven by being relatively tiny, powerless countries next door to large overbearing countries that cannot help but culturally, politically and financially overshadow their small neighbor.

This is common across the world in big/small neighbor country relationships. Go confuse a Korean for a Japanese or Chinese and see how that goes (it is far worse because of the rough history involved). The larger partner is usually quite dismissive and ignorant of it smaller neighbor (as you have shown). It is understandable and natural – the smaller partner is just relatively less important on so many levels, yet nonetheless still ever so infuriating to the minnow.

Perhaps just two different views...of the same subject. I agree that Americans and Aussies find it funny to be called Canadians and Kiwis, but the Anzac spirit is a very strong bond that Americans and Canadians really don't share. Kiwis flock to Australia to live (Australia has more Kiwis living here than all but Auckland).

I am a Canadian and Australian (24 years) with a dozen Kiwi relatives. I don't need an education.

sittingon50
05-05-2015, 02:35 PM
It's captivating to watch how a thread can metamorphosize into something completely different from its original subject..........

Yeah, what time does the taco vender drive by?

CDC84
05-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Yeah, what time does the taco vender drive by?

Hopefully soon. It's Cinco de Mayo!

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2015, 02:49 PM
I've lived in Canada and almost married a Canadian girl, trust me, as of 2015, there is almost no difference anymore between Canadians and Americans, culturally or linguistically; all due to media, technology and television.

This is common across the world in big/small neighbor country relationships. Go confuse a Korean for a Japanese or Chinese and see how that goes (it is far worse because of the rough history involved). The larger partner is usually quite dismissive and ignorant of it smaller neighbor (as you have shown). It is understandable and natural – the smaller partner is just relatively less important on so many levels, yet nonetheless still ever so infuriating to the minnow.

seacatfan
05-05-2015, 02:59 PM
This thread detour is quite interesting. I was thinking about it quite a bit this afternoon. I arrived at the conclusion that it quickly becomes pointless and ludicrous to compare Americans to Canadians, or any other x to y comparison. Who exactly are you comparing? Is there a "typical" American or Canadian? Both countries are large, have different geographical regions with vastly differently cultures. Is your American from the East Coast, West Coast, deep south, Texas, Rocky Mountain States (northern or southern?), desert Southwest, California, heartland? It makes a BIG difference. Large urban area or rural? Ethnic minority? Generic caucasian? You'd have to ask the same questions for your Canadian. I would guess someone from Vancouver BC has a lot more in common with someone from Seattle than they do with someone from Montreal or Toronto. There are really 2 Canadas, British and French. Canada is a larger country (by land mass, not population) than the US. It stretches forever northward. I would guess someone living on Baffin Island or the Yukon Territories or Nova Scotia or Newfoundland (especially that one, it's like it's own country from what I've read about it) feels very little in common with anyone living in any of the larger cities in Canada, regardless of whether it's eastern or western.

I don't know much about New Zealand, but I'm guessing there are at least subtle differences between the North Island and the South Island. Australia is a massive country, but almost the entire population lives on a narrow sliver of the east and south coast. Somebody living in the Outback probably shares very little in common with someone living in Sydney or Melbourne. And if your an Aborigine, you probably don't share much in common with anyone who isn't an Aborigine.

So anyway how can you compare people from one country to another when there is so much difference between the various parts of any one country? Like I said, pointless.

seacatfan
05-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Anyway I've never picked up on even the slightest bit of animosity or bitterness directed towards me when I've been driving around BC and Alberta. Didn't try hiding the fact I was American either. Places like Golden, Nelson, Invermere, the Okanogan I felt right at home, just a little further north. Friendly folks, lots of gorgeous scenery up there, I'd certainly like to return again.