PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk suspended one game next season

robertperryhere
04-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Via @SportsCenter:

THIS JUST IN: NBA suspends J.R. Smith 2 games, Kelly Olynyk 1 game (next season) for their roles in incidents during Game 4 on Sunday.

sittingon50
04-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Weak.

ZagNut08
04-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Such BS, are they going to suspend everyone a game who locks up an arm grabbing a rebound?

stretch
04-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Such BS, are they going to suspend everyone a game who locks up an arm grabbing a rebound?

That depends on the star status of the player that you lock horns with.

DixieZag
04-27-2015, 06:21 PM
That depends on the star status of the player that you lock horns with.

This.

Love could have broken Kelly's arm in half and his position on a top team would render no penalty....maybe a $5,000 fine. He spends more on lunch.

krozman
04-27-2015, 06:32 PM
This has nothing to do with Olynyk and everything to do with ending the type of foul committed. From what I'm reading it's absolutely a "dirty" play, but it's also something that almost everyone does. Yes, it usually takes an important injury to a star for people to notice and that isn't necessarily fair.... but you can't deny you don't want players getting injured like that. Plus, one game in the NBA at the beginning of a season for a bench player is nothing compared to what the Cavs have to deal with in the next playoff series.

If the roles were reversed, you'd probably be a tad more harsh on the offending party.

HillBillyZag
04-27-2015, 06:58 PM
I'd never believe that Kelly meant to seriously injure Love, on the other hand?, there's no doubt that the Celtics wanted Love on the Pines.

Malastein
04-28-2015, 12:55 AM
This.

Love could have broken Kelly's arm in half and his position on a top team would render no penalty....maybe a $5,000 fine. He spends more on lunch.

Boston is a top team. Most people don't think he did it intentionally, and think he is just awkward enough to cause the injury incidentally. Love will probably think he did it intentionally no matter what. Same with some Cleveland fans. He'll be hated their always if they somehow lose to Chicago.

zag944
04-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Love out for playoffs. That is a bummer.

cjm720
04-28-2015, 11:02 AM
sure looked intentional...KO's a good dude from all accounts, so I'm sure it was something that was coached. Hopefully this will motivate some change in how the game is played.

LongIslandZagFan
04-28-2015, 12:01 PM
No more intentional that what Love did to him not more than 10 seconds before.

75Zag
04-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Good luck to KO. He is carrying the GU banner in the NBA right now.

Go Bulldogs!

Jazzgirl_127
04-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but I'd guess that most people wouldn't know how to dislocate another person's arm if they were actively trying to. The same play happens in so many games at so many levels of play, this was that 1 in a million time where it turns into a bad injury. The problem I have with a suspension handed out to anyone for a play like this is that almost every season, you hear a player questioned about a dirty play (that they don't get a suspension for) and they tell the media they were trying to "send a message." So that's okay? A premeditated act is tolerated, but some freak accident can lead to a suspension?

DixieZag
04-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but I'd guess that most people wouldn't know how to dislocate another person's arm if they were actively trying to. The same play happens in so many games at so many levels of play, this was that 1 in a million time where it turns into a bad injury. The problem I have with a suspension handed out to anyone for a play like this is that almost every season, you hear a player questioned about a dirty play (that they don't get a suspension for) and they tell the media they were trying to "send a message." So that's okay? A premeditated act is tolerated, but some freak accident can lead to a suspension?

That's what it is. It's not the play itself that stands out, it's the result in this case, a result I am sure wasn't intended.

We see it all the time in football, hockey, etc. If blood is drawn or a big injury results, the play can be just "typically" violent, but the result overshadows it.

willandi
04-28-2015, 06:45 PM
I hope he appeals and directs their attention to Love fouling him with the arm bar.

Zagsker
04-28-2015, 08:00 PM
If the roles were reversed, you'd probably be a tad more harsh on the offending party.

you know it...the penalty to Kelly is deserving, imo Kelly knew the amount of pressure he was putting on Loves arm, in no way do I think he meant to dislocate anything but he had to know he was using excessive pressure

If the roles were reversed many a GU fans would think the samething

Zagsker
04-28-2015, 08:01 PM
I hope he appeals and directs their attention to Love fouling him with the arm bar.

Lol...is what their response would be

willandi
04-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Lol...is what their response would be

Excepting that, if he files a formal appeal, they can't just laugh. They have to take it seriously.

Zagsker
04-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Excepting that, if he files a formal appeal, they can't just laugh. They have to take it seriously.

sure they do....should they? Not if Olynyks defense is "well, he was arm barring me sir. "

It's one game...again if this happened to Kelly many posters would be calling for Loves head

Mantua
04-28-2015, 10:26 PM
sure they do....should they? Not if Olynyks defense is "well, he was arm barring me sir. "

It's one game...again if this happened to Kelly many posters would be calling for Loves head

Hey, Cleveland's overall play in that game should be considered before Kelly takes on any tarnish.

willandi
04-29-2015, 08:01 AM
When I watched the extended video, Love and Kelly were battling under the basket. Love had Kelly's arm pinned with his, an obvious cheap shot with intent to injure. As the scrum moved out after the loose ball, Kelly's arms were up/out and Love arm barred him to keep him away. Kelly, in a legal move, lowered his arm and trapped Love's arm IN THE SAME POSITION THAT LOVE HAD TRAPPED KELLY'S. I did not see Kelly hold his right arm with his left, to ensure that the trap would keep Love's arm in position, as Kelly turned away.
The video review would show that Love had intended to damage Kelly in the same manner that Kelly damaged Love. If arm bar and swimming is against the rules, it should be applied to both men equally. Just being injured does not change your own actions.

Vanzagger
04-29-2015, 09:13 AM
you know it...the penalty to Kelly is deserving, imo Kelly knew the amount of pressure he was putting on Loves arm, in no way do I think he meant to dislocate anything but he had to know he was using excessive pressure

If the roles were reversed many a GU fans would think the samething

excessive pressure

sage
04-29-2015, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=willandi;1116231] As I did not see Kelly hold his right arm with his left, to ensure that the trap would keep Love's arm in position, as Kelly turned away.

A still photo on the SI site very clearly shows Kelly's right arm clamped down AND clearly shows Kelly's left hand firmly holding Loves arm. The photo removes any doubt about it.

zag944
04-29-2015, 10:48 AM
To me there is a pretty clear difference between the arm jostling and grappling that happens on a box out situation and what Kelly did. They are running after a loose ball, and when you are running and your arm gets grabbed like that it would seem that that should significantly up the chance of injury. I don't think there was any intent to injure, but it was pretty clumsy and reckless.

With regard to Cleveland also deserving punishment, Smith is missing two playoff games. Why Perkins was only fined is a mystery to me.

Zagsker
04-29-2015, 04:02 PM
excessive pressure

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u413/zagsker/Mobile%20Uploads/1bad54221a684491ab69763d2e19e0f0-1bad54221a684491ab69763d2e19e0f0-0_zpsmmgdx0my.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/zagsker/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1bad54221a684491ab69763d2e19e0f0-1bad54221a684491ab69763d2e19e0f0-0_zpsmmgdx0my.jpg.html)

willandi
04-29-2015, 05:44 PM
I had not seen that. I concede.

Zagsker
04-29-2015, 05:53 PM
I had not seen that. I concede.

Doesn't make him a dirty player tho...going after a loose ball, frustrated, played a little to excessive...it happens

willandi
04-29-2015, 06:02 PM
I don't believe that he is a dirty player or that his intent was to dislocate Love's shoulder. We have no idea what was going on in the game. Kelly may have been elbowed every time he went for a loose ball and his ribs were getting sore...I don't know that, just think there must have been something, something more than being swept, that led to that action.

SunDevilGolfZag
04-29-2015, 06:11 PM
At least in that frame for that very split second. What about the rest of the sequence? I saw the whole replay and still go with KO on this one, although I do admit I couldn't care less about watching Kevin Love anyway
[QUOTE=willandi;1116231] As I did not see Kelly hold his right arm with his left, to ensure that the trap would keep Love's arm in position, as Kelly turned away.

A still photo on the SI site very clearly shows Kelly's right arm clamped down AND clearly shows Kelly's left hand firmly holding Loves arm. The photo removes any doubt about it.

krozman
04-29-2015, 06:24 PM
You don't have to make a moral judgment against KO to call it a dirty play. The play was dirty. KO generally isn't. That's all.

Zag_Dad
04-30-2015, 08:05 AM
There was nothing unusual about Olynyk's play... basketball is a physical sport. That type of contact occurs in every possession, unfortunately Love got hurt. The result was unintended.

Cav fan rants are kinds funny though:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDyB-lWXIAAzaZV.jpg:large

cjm720
04-30-2015, 09:00 AM
There was nothing unusual about Olynyk's play... basketball is a physical sport. That type of contact occurs in every possession, unfortunately Love got hurt. The result was unintended.

Cav fan rants are kinds funny though:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDyB-lWXIAAzaZV.jpg:large

Using his other arm to apply pressure to the arm that is locked up is not the way to box someone out. Sounds like it happens often, but I've actually never seen that before and certainly never ever would have occurred to me to do that while playing.

kitzbuel
04-30-2015, 10:58 AM
This whole thing should be a recruiting tool! Who around here 6-7 years ago would believe that this guy https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CC-lvR5UUAEOGx0.png

Would be able to tear this guy's arm off? http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/156/788/080402LoveKevin.widec_display_image.jpg

Vanzagger
04-30-2015, 01:51 PM
There was the frame where Love had KO's arm tied up. It turned into a Love elbo/shiver to KO's ribs.

KO got some leverage and spins out of it. It's too bad someone got hurt. What's that expression about Bull and Horns.

Excessive force is if he Judo Throws him. It takes very little pressure brake collar bones and dislocate shoulders

Vanzagger
04-30-2015, 02:20 PM
As Helio Gracie says....with the right leverage he can lift the world.

It was not intentional or dirty. It is easy to spin it that way though. It was 2 spirited players tied up and a freak accident/injury happened. I bet if he tried a thousand times he couldn't injure him that way again.

willandi
04-30-2015, 02:26 PM
That was what I saw on the extended clip. I didn't see Kelly grab his arm until the still was posted. He shouldn't have done it, but after you get grabbed, pulled, elbowed and pushed up and down, sometimes a spur of the moment happens, and without thinking you act. KO should not have done that. Love is almost equally complicent. The officials let a lot of stuff go on, and it's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.