PDA

View Full Version : Big Weekend Upcoming

Angelo Roncalli
04-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Williams-Goss and Williams III on official visits:

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 3m3 minutes ago
Pretty significant recruiting weekend ahead for Mark Few. Gonzaga will host both Nigel Williams-Goss and Missouri's Jonathan Williams III.

robertperryhere
04-27-2015, 11:40 AM
It will be a good weekend for them both to visit. The weather in Spokane looks to be really nice, so that will definitely go in Gonzaga's favor.

ProjectMKUltra5
04-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Hopefully we can get NWG on campus before he commits, rumors are he's down to UNLV and Providence with UNLV being favored.

Personally I think our odds are better with Williams as he fits a bigger need in the coming years. He can be a really dynamic player, almost fill an Austin Daye kind of role. Think he'd be a big help.

BobZag
04-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Nab both.

I'm greedy.

ZagLawGrad
04-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Nab both.

I'm greedy.

Me too. But NWG is not likely landing here. If Providence and UNLV are really on his list, then it seems to me that he must be looking for something else other than a chance to get a lot of wins. P.S. hope I am plain wrong.

MTZag03
04-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Me too. But NWG is not likely landing here. If Providence and UNLV are really on his list, then it seems to me that he must be looking for something else other than a chance to get a lot of wins. P.S. hope I am plain wrong.

Just my thought, but why would a guy come to campus if he's not interested?

Angelo Roncalli
04-27-2015, 02:03 PM

To get away from UW?

cjm720
04-27-2015, 02:09 PM

A free vacation!

MDABE80
04-27-2015, 02:18 PM
C'mon....NWG comes here because we win. We are an Elite 8 team . We are always ranked. #6 this year. #2 seed. Lots of TV...and lots of great OOC............but then there's the conference...........

Zagdawg
04-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Plus he would get to go to Atlantis and watch his new team beat his old team. ;)

DixieZag
04-27-2015, 02:58 PM
A free vacation!

You better believe I'd take all five visits.

I'd have my top choice (or one I've decided upon)

And then I suspect I'd visit University of Hawaii, Miami, Pepperdine, and San Francisco state.

:)

jazzdelmar
04-27-2015, 03:04 PM

And then I suspect I'd visit University of Hawaii, Miami, Pepperdine, and San Francisco state.

Not SD?

Bogozags
04-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Not SD?

USD or SDSU would have to be in the mix...SDiego has the best weather...cool but not cold, warm but not hot and then there is Del Mar...I could see Pepperdine and UH but Miami is too humid...IMO...still, GU is a really good stopping point...ask BWes

ZagaZags
04-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Plus he would get to go to Atlantis and watch his new team beat his old team. ;)

I could totally see UW being the opening game for GU.

DixieZag
04-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Not SD?

I thought about putting that in. Of course, I might consider it personally b/c I could see you.

But, it seems that everyone that visits SDSU ends up going there (at least our potential recruits do), and obviously I didn't want to bring up bad memories here.

sittingon50
04-27-2015, 05:32 PM

Believe it or not, rangling (sp?) a free (recruiting) trip to Hawaii had never occurred to me before. Wonder how the Rainbow Warriors decide who may be serious & who's just looking for better weather?

ZagLawGrad
04-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Good question. Maybe hoping to remain fabulous as long as he can before moving on to complete irrelevance should he decide to go to UNLV or Providence? :lmao:

DixieZag
04-27-2015, 06:18 PM
IN terms of convincing them you're serious, maybe if you mention you want to go to the beach after you see the facilities and meet everyone?

I spent a few summer semesters at UH. Beautiful place, wonderful people, big sports fans (if you're winning). It is a little isolating. But, tempting place.

VinnyZag
04-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Not SD?

I don't understand. Why would you visit South Dakota?

MickMick
04-27-2015, 08:05 PM
I endured Navy boot camp in San Diego. I guess Recruit Training Command, San Diego no longer exists so perhaps things have changed a bit, but........

I hated San Diego. Probably as much as they hated sailors. They loved our cash, but didn't think too much of us. Never saw a bigger collection of con artists in my life. Maybe I was hanging out in the wrong places.
I also spent a good deal of time stationed in Long Beach as that was the home port of my first ship, USS Lang FF 1060. Needless to say, I guess I'm not a L.A. kind of guy either. Hated it.

I did see Michael Jordan play against the Clippers though. His second year as a pro. Speaking of Michael Jordan, when my ship occasionally ported in Panama, the local Jamaican men (there were a ton of them in Panama City) wanted to talk about Michael Jordan non stop. He was bigger than life down there. It was then that I truly realized the magnitude of Jordan's stardom.

My rule of thumb for California. The further north you go, the better it is. Cleaner, cooler, nicer, fresher, less populated.

SteelZag
04-27-2015, 09:14 PM

Reminds me of an old golfing buddy who worked for a financial division of a large NW company. During the course of a round, he would gleefully proclaim he was going to Hawaii for a work "retreat." My response was always, "don't you guys have facilities in South Dakota?" His reply was always, "To better serve the members."

sittingon50
04-27-2015, 11:14 PM

I spent 2 1/2 yrs there. The winters were just like Paris!

:p

hondo
04-27-2015, 11:26 PM
The late Spring snow blizzards in South Dakota are charming.

DixieZag
04-28-2015, 04:01 AM

LOL

Nothing like walking down street, holding the hand of the one you love, looking at all the tree blossoms, encapsulated in ice, under two inches of heavy snow, as a gentle 35 mph "breeze" caresses your face like sandpaper?

OTOH - I thought Rapid City and the Black Hills country was very cool in the late summer.

tyra
04-28-2015, 05:24 AM
Corn Palace! Eighth Wonder of the World. And I haven't even gotten around to Mt. Rushmore!

Birddog
04-28-2015, 05:28 AM
"Wall Drug", what Disney World set out to be.

willandi
04-28-2015, 05:48 AM

Would that count as a game, or a scrimmage?

DixieZag
04-28-2015, 06:47 AM
"Wall Drug", what Disney World set out to be.

The anticipation rises as one leaves the Sioux Falls Iowa metro-area on I-90 and sees the first of 100 signs counting down the miles - only 293 more miles. That's like a Disney ride itself, driving 5 hours instead of lining up for 5 hours in breathless excitement.

Sturgis is super cool, in summer.

sittingon50
04-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Corn Palace! Eighth Wonder of the World. And I haven't even gotten around to Mt. Rushmore!

Gotta' get to Mt. Rushmore, tyra. Pretty impressive (at least for this old guy with no artistic talent).

Mr Vulture
04-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Glad this one got hijacked already as well. Would have been nice to discuss the potential transfers coming instead of personal histories of the posters. Sorry if it sounds like sour grapes but almost every thread anymore turns into something totally off topic.

johno
04-28-2015, 08:59 AM
Agree MV, hoping for that program glorifying update but only get tacos.

Pargo the Destroyer
04-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Agree MV, hoping for that program glorifying update but only get tacos.

I think you may be undervaluing tacos at this point Johno........

btzag
04-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Glad this one got hijacked already as well. Would have been nice to discuss the potential transfers coming instead of personal histories of the posters. Sorry if it sounds like sour grapes but almost every thread anymore turns into something totally off topic.

No not sour grapes, it's truth. Just another thread on an interesting/important topic that I need to avoid....

Zag_Dad
04-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Seton Hall's Sterling Gibbs announced that he will transfer and is immediately eligible to play... would be a nice fit at GU.

http://t.co/RLWfVfOm3x

sittingon50
04-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Will he pass thru South Dakota?

Mr Vulture
04-28-2015, 02:28 PM
What does this mean? I don't think it has to do with the thread for sure...

Will he pass thru South Dakota?

sittingon50
04-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Just pushing buttons, Vulture.

MickMick
04-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Tip off is a long ways away.

How many posts about the Mizzou kid until overkill?

There are about three known attainable transfers in the entire NCAA that would have us collectively drooling. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot of drama for us to share.

btzag
04-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Actually, pretty exciting news that NWG and 'the Mizzou kid' are visiting this weekend. I search for Zag news everywhere and had not heard this. Basically this is a post that a couple ELITE level players considering GU are going to be on-campus! That is boring/overkill? Man, gotta say some fans have gotten spoiled around these parts....

I understand mid-summer posts debating 'how cool would this lineup look!' or 'what about Drang at the 2 and Wiltjer at 3!' getting hijacked but this one? Hopefully we'll hear some good news because both those guys along with Sterling Gibbs would be Wesley-level additions to the Zag roster. Oh and imagine a 'big' guard or a high energy athletic PF along with the current roster.

Mr Vulture
04-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Well stated sir!

Actually, pretty exciting news that NWG and 'the Mizzou kid' are visiting this weekend. I search for Zag news everywhere and had not heard this. Basically this is a post that a couple ELITE level players considering GU are going to be on-campus! That is boring/overkill? Man, gotta say some fans have gotten spoiled around these parts....

I understand mid-summer posts debating 'how cool would this lineup look!' or 'what about Drang at the 2 and Wiltjer at 3!' getting hijacked but this one? Hopefully we'll hear some good news because both those guys along with Sterling Gibbs would be Wesley-level additions to the Zag roster. Oh and imagine a 'big' guard or a high energy athletic PF along with the current roster.

23zagmd
04-29-2015, 09:14 AM
I'd bet the Ranch on this! Where there is smoke, there is fire and I think it is just WAY to coincidental that we finally got them back on the schedule next year with all the discussion that it was going to happen possibly this year. I think this was a good way for UW to ease back into the rivalry and not have to have the discussion of where the first game is played. It's going to be Atlantis.....with the other games matching up as rivalries as well.

A&M and Texas
UConn vs acc Syracuse
Gonz vs UW

The best part is going to be the absolute pummeling that they are going to get from our bigs!

gonzagacfen
04-29-2015, 09:56 AM
It's very logical. The B4A tournament committee would definitely want to draw attention to themselves with such storylines as those former rivalries

Even if we don't match up with UW in B4A next season, there's the 4-year series with UW starting in 2016 to look at. NWG wouldn't be able to play in 2015 B4A but he could be excited for the possibility of exacting revenge on UDub for potentially 2 consecutive years after coming of redshirt. Likely can't find another non Pac-12 school that could give him that lovely possibility

SLOZag
04-30-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure if this has been previously noted here, but both ESPN's Jeff Goodman and CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein reported this week that NW-G's choice of schools for his transfer is "down to four schools: Ohio State, Gonzaga, UNLV and Providence. Williams-Goss has already visited UNLV and Providence. He'll visit Gonzaga this weekend, and Ohio State will be his last stop."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/04/nigel_williams-goss_ohio_state.html

LongIslandZagFan
04-30-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure if this has been previously noted here, but both ESPN's Jeff Goodman and CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein reported this week that NW-G's choice of schools for his transfer is "down to four schools: Ohio State, Gonzaga, UNLV and Providence. Williams-Goss has already visited UNLV and Providence. He'll visit Gonzaga this weekend, and Ohio State will be his last stop."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/04/nigel_williams-goss_ohio_state.html

Here is hoping he cancels his trip to Columbus.

kitzbuel
04-30-2015, 11:32 AM

He certainly has Byron Wesley as an example. BWes left the glitter of LA the PAC12 for a winning team and a deep NCAA run. So I guess it depends what NWG wants; big city and flash or winning and NCAA tournament games.

sittingon50
04-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Anyone seen JW III play? His stats give me pause.

Coach Crazy
04-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Anyone seen JW III play? His stats give me pause.

His advanced statistics seemed to suggest that when he became a more primary scorer, or had more possession of the ball that his efficiency was negatively affected.

I actually think that his skill set and athleticism would fit in very nicely here where he simply has to fill a role and shine within it. More focus, more opportunity for efficiency. As has already been stated on this board, he's a dynamic forward. He won't give you a great deal of 3-point shooting, but he can post up and slash from the wing, as well as run the floor. I really like what he could bring.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/johnathan-williams-2.html

sittingon50
04-30-2015, 03:19 PM
I thought he was 250 lbs? So, that is inaccurate; he's not a wide load?

Coach Crazy
04-30-2015, 03:57 PM
I thought he was 250 lbs? So, that is inaccurate; he's not a wide load?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_MnY_hR7Q

If he is 250, I would like to figure out how he is able to stay so lean.

TexasZagFan
05-01-2015, 05:34 AM

I'll take your word for it.

TheOtherGreatOne
05-01-2015, 06:07 AM
I saw Williams play several times. he is 6'9'' a skinny 210 lbs. with an awful looking jump shot. He never impressed me at any time I saw him,which was like 4 times. When they played Kentucky cauley-stein guarded him and he went 1 for 13 from the field. I would much rather have the 6'10'' jr college kid. I also didn't think much of Williams' on court attitude.

basketballzag
05-01-2015, 07:08 AM

Honestly don't see Providence or Ohio State in the game. Its either Gonzaga or UNLV.

cjm720
05-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Honestly don't see Providence or Ohio State in the game. Its either Gonzaga or UNLV.

Why not OSU?

seems like a no brainer that he should chose GU :)

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-01-2015, 07:53 AM
69 and sunny tomorrow!

ProjectMKUltra5
05-01-2015, 10:06 AM

I can't see him going to Providence but I would think OSU has a serious chance. They're always in the tournament and play in one of the best conferences in the country, they have a need for PGs, and Thad Motta is as legit as they come.

I really like NWG and want us to land him but I seriously question if he can shoot the ball well enough to play in our offense. I've long advocated for Few to utilize more slashing motions from the offense and maybe this is a opportunity for that to happen but it definitely isn't a hand and glove type fit imo.

ZAGGED OUT
05-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Why is everyone counting out Providence? NWG has already said he wants to be a starter wherever he goes, and Kris Dunn will be gone after this year. Would open up an immediate starting role for him. My bet is UNLV or Providence.

kitzbuel
05-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Why is everyone counting out Providence? NWG has already said he wants to be a starter wherever he goes, and Kris Dunn will be gone after this year. Would open up an immediate starting role for him. My bet is UNLV or Providence.

Not as great a recent track record for NCAA runs as GU or OSU. They do seem to be improving, though.

Zag 77
05-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Maybe they chose this weekend so they could see how GU students prepare for finals. Obviously a tour of Foley Library is a must.

kitzbuel
05-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Maybe they chose this weekend so they could see how GU students prepare for finals. Obviously a tour of Foley Library is a must.
They can run the Lilac Bloomsday race.