PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk...

Ekrub
04-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Getting slaughtered by the media. Did look like a dirty play though, doubt it was intentional.

For those who haven't seen the play:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/kevin-love-cleveland-cavaliers-shoulder-injury

btzag
04-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Obviously a frustration foul, but doubt in that split second he consciously thought to try and dislocate Love's shoulder. Watch any high level bball game and how many arm bars, shoving, elbowing,etc goes on under the basket. Freak accident.

ProjectMKUltra5
04-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Nothing dirty about that. Both of them pushing and pulling with their arm, Love just happened to come out on the bad end of it. Physical play like that is what makes the NBA playoffs so much better then the regular season imo.

jazzdelmar
04-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Love was pathetic in his post game comments. Perfect for the Fakers. Acting like a 12 year old.

Mantua
04-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Love wasn't all that clean during the play, but he sure is carrying on. It's ridiculous to label Kelly considering Kelly's body of work. In the long run, it may be better for Kelly to be know as tough.

Ekrub
04-26-2015, 03:42 PM
Love wasn't all that clean during the play, but he sure is carrying on. It's ridiculous to label Kelly considering Kelly's body of work. In the long run, it may be better for Kelly to be know as tough.

This is true as well. Love had olynyks arm pinned first.

tyra
04-26-2015, 03:56 PM
I think Love was "carrying on" because he dislocated his shoulder and they just don't come more painful than that. OTOH, viewing the video several times, it looked like one of those freak outcomes. How many millions of times have we seen players tie one another up with their arms? I cannot recall a prior dislocation. Not good all the way around but we routinely see dirtier play -- if it even was that -- all the time.

VinnyZag
04-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Jalen Rose and Doug Collins both said at halftime of the Spurs-Clips game that they didn't think it was intentional. It must be some other The Media that is "slaughtering" Olynyk?

Seems to me it was a pretty routine scramble for the ball, which turned bad in this instance. Olynyk did nothing wrong; just bad luck for Love.

Make no mistake, though, if the exact same thing happens next year and a Zag gets injured, we'll all be screaming bloody murder.

Mantua
04-26-2015, 04:10 PM
I think Love was "carrying on" because he dislocated his shoulder and they just don't come more painful than that. OTOH, viewing the video several times, it looked like one of those freak outcomes. How many millions of times have we seen players tie one another up with their arms? I cannot recall a prior dislocation. Not good all the way around but we routinely see dirtier play -- if it even was that -- all the time.

In my opinion, Crowder suffered the most from dirty play today. as much as I'd like to see LeBron achieve some success in his home town, I don't think I can root for the Cavs after what I saw today.

scott257
04-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Love is a whiner. He stuck his arm out and initiated the contact that resulted in his own injury. The only thing I am surprised about is that this type of injury doesn't occur more often.

webspinnre
04-26-2015, 04:19 PM
It was clearly a bad foul, but I don't see anything there that would lead me to believe that it's intentional.

SunDevilGolfZag
04-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Clearly not a dirty play. Nonsense to say it was. Watch the replay

Bouldin4Prez
04-26-2015, 04:33 PM
How was it not a dirty play? Put yourself in Love's situation. If you had your armed grabbed and yanked as you moved towards the ball which the other player had no chance of getting, you are telling me you wouldn't get mad? Frustration foul for sure by Olynyk and let his emotions get the best of him.

DixieZag
04-26-2015, 04:38 PM
I haven't seen it, but from what I've watched of the NBA play-offs over the years, dirty play, or at least football-like play is the norm and no one expects differently. Doesn't excuse it, but certainly doesn't stand out, either.

Rangerzag
04-26-2015, 04:50 PM
Love put his arm out to restrain Kelly. Kelly did not reach out to get a hold of Love. Kelly put put his arm down and Love got caught with his arm where it didn't belong. Is there a rule that says if a player (Love) puts his arm out to hold another (Kelly) back from the play the restricted player has to keep the rest of his body clear till the initiating player has quit the interfering activity?

TheOtherGreatOne
04-26-2015, 05:17 PM
So much for our players being soft

scott257
04-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Love put his arm out to restrain Kelly. Kelly did not reach out to get a hold of Love. Kelly put put his arm down and Love got caught with his arm where it didn't belong. Is there a rule that says if a player (Love) puts his arm out to hold another (Kelly) back from the play the restricted player has to keep the rest of his body clear till the initiating player has quit the interfering activity?

Exactly. Love has no reasonable expectation that Olynyk should just stand fast until Love moves or lowers his arm.

CdAZagFan
04-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Unfortunate incident... Not really how I was hoping Olynyk's name would be discussed on talk radio today. Started the playoffs with a very strong first quarter in game 1 and then kind of faded out from there.

One of the reasons I don't like watching the NBA - between announcers debating whether star players should be protected from foul calls just so the fans can see them play the entire game, or the multiple traveling violations that go uncalled (it is not that uncommon to see four steps), lane violations all over the place on free throws... I could go on and on.

What Kelly did I thought was a little excessive - on the other hand, I've watched that same exact jostling going on under the basket on every other play.

I should add that if the tables were turned and Love did the exact same thing to Olynyk, there would most likely be no national discussion on that play.

btzag
04-26-2015, 07:03 PM
How was it not a dirty play? Put yourself in Love's situation. If you had your armed grabbed and yanked as you moved towards the ball which the other player had no chance of getting, you are telling me you wouldn't get mad? Frustration foul for sure by Olynyk and let his emotions get the best of him.

Because players get yanked, pushed, shoved, jostled just about every single time down the court! Watch the replay and ask yourself if Kelly was purposely trying to injure Love by dislocating his shoulder? I watched it multiple times and could see zero intent to injure, therefore not a dirty play. Contrast that with JR Smith. His backhand to the head area of Crowder had one intent, to hit Crowder in the face with intent to injure. Which by the way was why Smith was kicked out of the game.

MDABE80
04-26-2015, 07:16 PM
We know Kelly isn't a dirty player. I watched the play and it looked like the two were just going for the ball and got tangled up. Simple as that.

mgadfly
04-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Not a dirty play. Love uses an arm bar to keep Olynyk from having any chance at the ball and Olynyk tries to get past him with a swim move. Happens, literally, a dozen times per game (both the illegal arm bar and the illegal swim move/jerk). That's a reaction almost everyone has when they are moving in the direction of the ball and someone holds them off with an arm bar. That isn't "dirty." It might be a foul, but it is far from "dirty" and if you think differently you don't know anything about basketball.

maineblackbear
04-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Another quote, kinda funny:

Love called the move "bush league,'' which prompted a hilarious response from Evan Turner, who habitually speaks as though someone has slipped him a vial of truth serum.

"Honest to God, man,'' said the Celtics guard, "you ask anybody in our locker room, like our bigs, Kelly can't box out to save his life. No joke. He boxes our teammates out like that all the time in practice. Obviously, he gets away with it in practice, so he thinks he can in a game.''

Reborn
04-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Watched Charles Barkey, Smith, Shaq ect talk about the play. All agreed it's a dirty play but an acceptable one that has been used for many years. They all agreed that they believed Olynik was not trying to hurt Love. Charles also said he felt that the interviews with James and another player where they called Olynik "Bush League" was actually what was unprofessional. They also showed two Cavs players in that same game almost knock out two Celtic players with arm blows to the head and neck. They all agreed that those two fouls were much worse then Olynik's. Finally Charles felt that Love would regret what he said tomorrow.

Oh Yeah! I saw the review of the play a number of times and agree that there was no intend to hurt Love, and yes that Love started the shoving with a left arm shield move to Kelly's chest, and Kelly responded with counter move of an arm lock. The analysts agreed that most all of the big men in the league use that move often.

ZagaZags
04-26-2015, 09:13 PM

A few seconds before the injury. KO is trying to pull his arm free.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDj1058UUAEwURZ.jpg

Coach Crazy
04-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Not a dirty play. Also, I hope the League nips this in the bud. J.R. Smith should be out multiple games, if not the series. "Angry Bird" Perkins should get at least one, as well.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Shaq, Kenny Smith and Sir Charles Barkley all exonerated KO after reviewing the replay. I defer to these NBA vets. KO is a tough s.o.b. but not dirty #ZagUp #playoffs #bigboyhoops

Ekrub
04-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Jalen Rose and Doug Collins both said at halftime of the Spurs-Clips game that they didn't think it was intentional. It must be some other The Media that is "slaughtering" Olynyk?

Seems to me it was a pretty routine scramble for the ball, which turned bad in this instance. Olynyk did nothing wrong; just bad luck for Love.

Make no mistake, though, if the exact same thing happens next year and a Zag gets injured, we'll all be screaming bloody murder.

Twitter guys. Media, but on personal accounts. Maybe a bit of hyperbole on my part.

Zagarooskis
04-26-2015, 11:44 PM
The same Kevin Love complaining about bush league plays just so happened to pull this crap a few years back :)....

Start at :17 seconds for his Ndamukong Suh impersonation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA4FIE0tOrs

Oh the irony of this situation to me...

It's a shame that Love's shoulder was dislocated on the play, but that play happens every night in the REGULAR SEASON... Loose ball chase where both guys are getting after it.

Does he really think that Kelly was consciously thinking "Now I will dislocate Kevin Love's shoulder! :argh:!!" ????

Hope he gets better for the next round, but hope even more that he would just shut up about the play.

ZagNut08
04-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Love is a tool, that happens all the time rebounding, all the time, KO is trying to hold love so his teammate can get the ball. Not surprising the queen of complaining Lebron jumped on board about it.

Vanzagger
04-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Queen Lebron...Hands up, don't shoot

Vanzagger
04-27-2015, 09:24 AM
And to Dixie, now you know what the other side of the coin looks like. Gaines from Georgia did not jump 4 ft in the air thinking he was going to make contact with our guy. Perkins moved and Gaines had to balance himself on the way down. Nothing more.

Josh showed class and as Karno said, a tuff kid

DukeSilver
04-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Queen Lebron...Hands up, don't shoot

I didn't realize this was a thread for making jokes about police shootings ...

Mr Vulture
04-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Can this opinion piece about a former player be moved to the proper folder please?? I would rather hear and read about Men's Basketball as the folder says it is. Doesn't seem like there is any information about who is going to join the team that is here....

Vanzagger
04-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Police have to shoot people sometimes. It's not funny. It's also not funny when people lie about what happened, the media picks up the false narrative and runs with it, and Queen James can't help himself on Twitter.

DukeSilver
04-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Police have to shoot people sometimes. It's not funny. It's also not funny when people lie about what happened, the media picks up the false narrative and runs with it, and Queen James can't help himself on Twitter.

I really shouldn't have to explain why comments of this nature are incredibly inappropriate and even potentially damaging to the program ... No place for it in this forum.

TheZagPhish
04-27-2015, 10:53 AM
I really shouldn't have to explain why comments of this nature are incredibly inappropriate and even potentially damaging to the program ... No place for it in this forum.

+1

ZagNative
04-27-2015, 11:02 AM
This thread should be torched.

LongIslandZagFan
04-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Alas... to whither upon the vine and die.