PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Conditioning

zagco
09-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know the following:

1. Do we have a "strength coach" that runs the off-season conditioning program?

2. What does our off-season conditioning consist of? Is weight lifting a big part of it? Is more toning stuff, or do we do strength stuff like power cleans, hang cleans, squats, deadlifts, etc?

3. Do we post lifting records for the players?

Zagco hears a lot about this kind of stuff with football at Boise State, but he's not as familiar with what Gonzaga does and, more generally, what is normal with college basketball players.

Angelo Roncalli
09-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know the following:

1. Do we have a "strength coach" that runs the off-season conditioning program?

Yes

2. What does our off-season conditioning consist of? Is weight lifting a big part of it? Is more toning stuff, or do we do strength stuff like power cleans, hang cleans, squats, deadlifts, etc?

Workouts are individually tailored. Weight work is a big part of it.

No.

We've had a series of good strength and conditioning coaches, beginning with Mike Chrysler. Mike Nilson is the current strength & conditioning coach.

gonzagulous
09-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Here's a thread from early June where BZ posted some stats:
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=3251

zagco
09-25-2007, 12:37 PM
So, is the focus more aerobic oriented than strength oriented, at least in comparison to college football?

LynetteG
09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
From what little I know, their conditioning coach is very involved all year long and has lots of creative programs for each of the players. Some of the equipment they have I have never seen in my life, and are some really crazy looking contraptions. He is totally cutting edge from what I have seen.

GonzagaGurl08
09-25-2007, 04:33 PM
We are very lucky to have Mike Nilson as the strength and conditioning coach. He's a former bulldog himself so he is familiar with what the guys are going through.

MDABE80
09-25-2007, 06:57 PM
PLUS..Mike and Rhiannon have a new baby boy:) Great guy and he's so good with the kids. Nice new building across from the Warehouse.

smen1
09-25-2007, 07:37 PM
They were conditioning at one of the local high schools on Monday...