PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Seattle Times Interview w/Romar

SLOZag
04-22-2015, 09:15 AM
The article includes this nugget from Percy Allen's interview:

"(Is the Gonzaga game next season?) “The following season.”
But you could play them in Bahama.) “We could.”
(How much fun would that be?) “[Laughs]”"

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/lorenzo-romar-were-definitely-headed-in-the-right-direction/

Romar also does some really slippery footwork trying to prove his last several seasons were "mediocre" rather than "horrible". He does this by including UW's performance in OOC games to balance all UW's conference losses, and concludes they win a bit more than they lose. Kinda like the Mariners losing their season opener, but winning a preseason pickup game against an Arizona community college team -- it all balances out!

TheGonzagaFactor
04-22-2015, 09:49 AM
The article includes this nugget from Percy Allen's interview:

"(Is the Gonzaga game next season?) “The following season.”
But you could play them in Bahama.) “We could.”
(How much fun would that be?) “[Laughs]”"

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/lorenzo-romar-were-definitely-headed-in-the-right-direction/

Romar also does some really slippery footwork trying to prove his last several seasons were "mediocre" rather than "horrible". He does this by including UW's performance in OOC games to balance all UW's conference losses, and concludes they win a bit more than they lose. Kinda like the Mariners losing their season opener, but winning a preseason pickup game against an Arizona community college team -- it all balances out!

To make this analogy valid, wouldn't the Mariners need to LOSE the preseason pickup game at home?

Zagarooskis
04-22-2015, 10:36 AM
Reading that interview just makes me appreciate Coach Few even more (If that was already possible...)! Percy really put the heat on him throughout

ZionZag
04-22-2015, 10:44 AM
I can't even describe what I think....GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

sittingon50
04-22-2015, 11:14 AM
(Comparing) LoRo to Tom Izzo? Funny, I never quite made the connection.

VinnyZag
04-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Percy really put the heat on him throughout

Are you being facetious?

(You know that folks in the Seattle media like you. I probably shouldn’t say it, but you know that.) “You’re funny.”

(I’m serious. Everyone likes you. We’re all in your corner. But then we also have a job to do.) “Sure.”

Unprofessional.

MDABE80
04-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Heat's on in Seattle. UW's in a bad spot as CDC pointed out a few weeks back. UW's AD back then gave away the fram to get ROmar and keep him after a few productive seasons. He looked like squat leaving our series. In some ways it was like Big time Seatle runfrom a game again lil outpost Spokane. And look what happened. He's losing games and looks like crap doing it. He said he'd improve the schedule and somply didn't
Now, the UW team isin a deep valley from bad management and kids simply leaving.
It's quite a hole UW's dug.

There's going to be time when Romar will be kicked upstairs and a real coach...not just a recruiter.......comes on board. By then with these terrible seasons running, it'll be hard to get them out of the basketball graveyard they were for 40 some years....and are now returning to.

Zagdawg
04-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Hows that "national exposure" treating you now lowro?

Lots of excuses in the article- "teams young", "darn injuries", change in college ball with all of the "transfers" only thing he missed blaming it on this time was the "fans not showing up to support the team".

seacatfan
04-22-2015, 01:42 PM
There's going to be time when Romar will be kicked upstairs and a real coach...not just a recruiter.......comes on board.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Harshman was a good but not great coach. Then you had Russo and Nance. Nothing to see there. Bender had a couple decent years but overall wasn't very good either. UW could do a lot worse than Romar, but I'm not sure they could do much better. I can't see them luring a big name coach, they'd have to get lucky with an up and comer that panned out...but then he'd probably leave for a bigger job.

Zagdawg
04-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Wait.....
You are saying that UW basketball is not the pinnacle of college basketball?

seacatfan
04-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Wait.....
You are saying that UW basketball is not the pinnacle of college basketball?

It was the pinnacle of college basketball...for a few short years only in the minds of some of their delusional fans, who have probably quit trying to pretend they are basketball fans and went back to watching football.

75Zag
04-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Coach Romar needs to "graduate" to administration or be sent to sit on the sidelines as a TV broadcaster for a few years before finding a new gig. Even the most loyal Husky BB fans are tired of no progress on or off the court. Now is the time, so that UW recruiting can proceed with a new coach at the helm.

Go Bulldogs!

DixieZag
04-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Lots of excuses in the article- "teams young", "darn injuries", change in college ball with all of the "transfers" only thing he missed blaming it on this time was the "fans not showing up to support the team".

That's the first thing I noticed. Saying they had a "Mediocre" season and then saying a "bad" season is 10-20, yeah, maybe at Eastern or Montana State. But, when you are a flag ship university in a big state, in a BCS conference, 16-14 and no tourney birth at all, may as well be 8-22.

And then having "injury" be your first word, maybe mention it as a last mention, not the first word.

Weak.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-22-2015, 05:04 PM
This reads like an interview with Rex Walters.

Zagdawg
04-22-2015, 10:18 PM
They share the same writer.

Zagarooskis
04-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Are you being facetious?

You sir are good!

bullzag23
04-24-2015, 01:34 PM
(And you said earlier, they have to hit the ground running.) “Oh yeah.”

(Your teams traditionally get better as the season goes. Of course, last season was different. It seems like you and Tom Izzo have that same quality. But can you afford that next season?)

How are UW teams that start out like 14-1 thanks to a cupcake home schedule and then fall flat in the second half of the season 'getting better as the season goes'?