PDA

View Full Version : First Person Pronouns

Angelo Roncalli
04-21-2015, 10:08 AM
I was at a meeting of a non-profit board in Seattle last night when a friend came up to me and said "weren't our guys incredible?" I didn't know at first who he was referring to when he said "our." My friend is a Seattle establishment type: went to the UW, has been an adjunct professor at the UW law school, etc. When he next said "we played Duke better than Wisconsin did, I realized he was talking about "our" Zags. The rest of the conversation about the team included him saying things "we'll be just as good next year." "Other teams won't be able to handle "us" inside." "How good will "our" recruiting class be?"

This conversation was similar in tone to one I had a few weeks ago at the GU/NDSU NCAA game in Key Arena. I was talking during halftime with a member of the UW board of regents. She looked at an app on her smart phone, then said, "Our women beat George Washington!"

Plenty of room on the bandwagon for those wishing to step out of the darkness and into the light.

Hogan
04-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Love it. Just love it.

Zag_Dad
04-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Funny ... I have often had an internal debate about whether it's appropriate to get proprietary when people with no direct affiliation with Gonzaga start using the "first person pronoun". As an alum from Prep (86'), GU (90') and GU Law (95') I feel I have earned the right to say we or us or our. In the end, I ultimately welcome anyone who wants to celebrate our Zags.
A good friend of mine is a UW alum. He travels with me to Vegas every year for the WCC tournament and goes to every Battle in Seattle with me ... always cheering for Gonzaga. He often uses the "first person pronoun" when he talks about Gonzaga.
I guess it would only bother me if the person claiming GU as our team was not a good emissary for the school and therefore gave others a bad impression about the University ... otherwise, I say climb on board, there's lot's of room on the bandwagon.

ZagMan in Philly
04-21-2015, 10:38 AM
LOL, Their team sucks.

abarefootboy
04-21-2015, 10:39 AM
while reading your ' First Persons Pronouns ' Angelo .. the glow within me began way down deep .. slowly building up my spine like molten magma .. to fill my heart and spew forth lava-laughter all over my self .. i'll gloat .. ooops .. i mean ~ glow ~ all day.

zagfan24
04-21-2015, 10:40 AM
I once heard about a study wherein they analyzed fan statements after wins and losses. Fans had a much higher likelihood of using first persons pronouns after a win than a loss.

"We dominated them inside."
vs.
"The Zags just couldn't get their defense going."

TexasZagFan
04-21-2015, 11:17 AM
After dealing with a number of front running Duke fans at the office and down in Houston, I finally came up with a rejoinder: the only affiliation most Duke fans had with the university was through their Custodial Arts program.

The expectations for Coach K's successor will be impossible to fulfill.

VinnyZag
04-21-2015, 11:43 AM
I've always felt that you should use "we" and "us" unless you're actually a member of the team. I realize I'm in an extreme minority on that.

Zagdawg
04-21-2015, 12:06 PM
One Big Happy Zag Family!!

LongIslandZagFan
04-21-2015, 12:14 PM
I've always felt that you should use "we" and "us" unless you're actually a member of the team. I realize I'm in an extreme minority on that.

I'm with you in that minority.

Reborn
04-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks Angelo for your post. It touched my heart too. Very heart-felt, and I'm going to glow too. Feels good. Gonzaga deserves every note of praise because this really was a special team. And they came together is such a beautiful way. The Best is still yet to come, and one day we'll be gloating over Gonzaga knocking Duke off. I hope it's next year.

kitzbuel
04-21-2015, 12:25 PM
After dealing with a number of front running Duke fans at the office and down in Houston, I finally came up with a rejoinder: the only affiliation most Duke fans had with the university was through their Custodial Arts program.

I have a friend who is a NYY fan, a Duke fan, and a Dallas Cowboys fan :vomit-smiley-007: . And she is from Colorado...

TexasZagFan
04-21-2015, 12:46 PM
I have a friend who is a NYY fan, a Duke fan, and a Dallas Cowboys fan :vomit-smiley-007: . And she is from Colorado...

You should remind her that the Yankees haven't won in a decade, and the Cowboys? Lol

bballbeachbum
04-21-2015, 01:13 PM
not being a GU grad, I try very hard to call the team the Zags and avoid that first person but catch myself saying we or us nevertheless after I've already posted things, especially in the game thread. don't wish to offend any of you GU grads and otherwise officially affiliated folks but these things happen.

MDABE80
04-21-2015, 01:34 PM
That's a big switch! Winning does that. Amazing what the program has does for us and the university.

Ekrub
04-21-2015, 02:34 PM

Agree with this but I still find myself doing it unintentionally. I will correct myself and then do it again a sentence later.

Zagdawg
04-21-2015, 02:42 PM
The Zags became Spokanes and much of Washingtons team when they started this run. Now as you drive through Spokane you see Zag gear, signs and license plate frames everywhere.

LongIslandZagFan
04-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Agree with this but I still find myself doing it unintentionally. I will correct myself and then do it again a sentence later.

Ditto.... but I have gotten better as time goes on.

BBzag
04-21-2015, 03:09 PM

So what should you use if you are actually a member of the team?

gonzagafan62
04-21-2015, 03:59 PM

I'm not. I buy merchandise (posters, clocks, banners, flags, autographed memorabilia) the extra sports package on directv, my wedding was done as a gonzaga wedding, my wedding ring is a gonzaga wedding ring. If there were no fans there would be no game. I can use "us, we and our all I want"

DixieZag
04-21-2015, 04:09 PM

You're making this up, right? That's pretty funny, I wish I had thought of that - good joke.

Seriously, what kind of person????? Does she hope that Buffet wins at the local charity Bingo?

gonzagafan62
04-21-2015, 04:25 PM
You're making this up, right? That's pretty funny, I wish I had thought of that - good joke.

Seriously, what kind of person????? Does she hope that Buffet wins at the local charity Bingo?

I can tell you that I know someone who is a Red Sox, Duke, Miami Heat and Indianapolis Colts fan. She lives in the same town I do. And have as Long a I've known her.

Although my family I from Dallas I root for the Cowboys, mavericks, Stars, Atlanta Braves, Tennessee Football, Gonzaga basketball.

ZaGranny
04-21-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm not. I buy merchandise (posters, clocks, banners, flags, autographed memorabilia) the extra sports package on directv, my wedding was done as a gonzaga wedding, my wedding ring is a gonzaga wedding ring. If there were no fans there would be no game. I can use "us, we and our all I want"

I kind of feel the same way. Ditto on the Zags gear, and sports package. Add in my Bulldog Club membership, my WBB season tickets, and trips to whatever games and events we can go to, and I think it's a "we" thing for us.

Especially when I look at my VISA bill this month after trips to Vegas, Seattle, and Houston in March.

ZaGranny

gonzagafan62
04-21-2015, 04:49 PM
I kind of feel the same way. Ditto on the Zags gear, and sports package. Add in my Bulldog Club membership, my WBB season tickets, and trips to whatever games and events we can go to, and I think it's a "we" thing for us.

Especially when I look at my VISA bill this month after trips to Vegas, Seattle, and Houston in March.

ZaGranny

If the zags came anywhere near me id buy tickets as well. I wish they would come back. That's the last thing on my bucket list

Dogtownkid
04-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Although I didn't get a Masters at GU until 1974, I've been taking classes here since about 1966, as nearly as I can remember. I figure I'm entitled to use first person when I talk about the team.

gu03alum
04-21-2015, 07:10 PM

What the hell was up with all of those people with Texas ties rooting for Duke at the game (Romo, Bush, Whiten)?

TheGonzagaFactor
04-22-2015, 07:11 AM
not being a GU grad, I try very hard to call the team the Zags and avoid that first person but catch myself saying we or us nevertheless after I've already posted things, especially in the game thread. don't wish to offend any of you GU grads and otherwise officially affiliated folks but these things happen.

I think that if you grew up living in Spokane loving the Zags, you have 100% as much of a right to use "we" and "us" as a GU student. A lot of GU students have always been fans, but there are also a lot that didn't care at all until they got into GU. There's nothing wrong with that, the more fans we have the better, I'm just saying that being enrolled at GU doesn't give you any more right to use a first person pronoun than someone who is a fan but never enrolled at GU. We're all fans just the same and can say "us" or "we" as much as we please.

LongIslandZagFan
04-22-2015, 08:10 AM
I think that if you grew up living in Spokane loving the Zags, you have 100% as much of a right to use "we" and "us" as a GU student. A lot of GU students have always been fans, but there are also a lot that didn't care at all until they got into GU. There's nothing wrong with that, the more fans we have the better, I'm just saying that being enrolled at GU doesn't give you any more right to use a first person pronoun than someone who is a fan but never enrolled at GU. We're all fans just the same and can say "us" or "we" as much as we please.

I consider myself a hardcore 12... but I don't use we or us with the Seahawks either. Just me. Don't see anything wrong with others using it... just a personal preference of mine.

TravelinZag
04-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Don't mind a little possessiveness -- everyone wants to be a part of a success story. The Zags have become a great one; some people on the east coast have not only learned to pronounce the name of the university, but also the city! A great salve to the sense of isolation and being overlooked one sometimes feels living in the Inland Empire. However, let's be honest here, winning has a lot to do with the identification. When I was at Gonzaga in the 60's, there was not a lot of use of first-person possessive pronouns about the basketball team. Nor were there many sell-out crowds in the then fairly new Kennedy Center. Now, for approaching two decades, an increasing number of people have felt a sense of pride about the Zags basketball program, whether their connection is strong or even non-existent except as fans. The Zags have bought a ton of positive national attention to the school, the city and the area. We should recognize and appreciate that. If in the process, they have won some fans from far and wide, let's say, "Welcome to the fun!" Many of the "subway alumni" have no connection to Notre Dame. The Yankees, the Cowboys, Duke, Syracuse, Trojan football, Bruins basketball, Wisconsin, Michigan State and many others have huge followings -- lovers and haters. Success does that. GU, Spokane and the Pacific Northwest should revel in the attention. Beats hell out of anonymity IMHO. It has been a great run, and a lot of fun. The best is yet to come.

Don't mind sharing it! Go Zags!

LongIslandZagFan
04-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Hmmm... I wonder... has Spokane profited in any way due to the Zags ascending to their current status?

Zagdawg
04-22-2015, 12:01 PM
The large increase in enrollment has brought additional $ into Spokane via $ for the campus buildout, students shopping, eating out and $ brought in by family and friends visiting the students.

GoZags
04-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Hmmm... I wonder... has Spokane profited in any way due to the Zags ascending to their current status?

I'm with LIZF and the Pontiff on this one.

Don't ever (okay ... "rarely") use "we" or "us" when talking (or writing) about our Zags.

LongIslandZagFan
04-22-2015, 01:13 PM
The large increase in enrollment has brought additional $ into Spokane via $ for the campus buildout, students shopping, eating out and $ brought in by family and friends visiting the students.

Yeah... it would be an interesting study.

Ekrub
04-22-2015, 02:45 PM

Students rarely leave campus. I suppose zips and safe way might have seen a slight increase in sales.

75Zag
04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Slightly different perspective on same theme. I work with a number of GU law school graduates who, until recently, only rarely join me in supporting GU BB during the season or NCAAs. They tend to support their undergrad schools, which are loser places like Wisconsin, or BYU or Arizona or Cal. But this year for the first time pretty much all of us - GU undergrads like me and GU law grads like my partners - joined together to celebrate GU's success. Except for the jerk with the undergrad degree from Wisconsin.

Go Bulldogs!

Birddog
04-22-2015, 03:48 PM
I try not to use the first person pronouns but have been known to mess up on occasion. I am a Zag, but not a current basketball team member.

WBM
04-22-2015, 03:56 PM

As a hotelier for the past 7 years, I've seen an increasing economic impact to properties in multiple areas of Spokane. Red Lion benefits because of it's affiliation with the WCC, and I imagine higher success rates for the Zags results in more travel to Spokane for those in other areas (I'm thinking of people such as ZaGranny). And Gonzaga graduation is now such a huge event that even out in Spokane Valley, the 2nd weekend in May is a chalk blackout date every year.

I'd be interested to see numbers to measure the economic impact of the university before and during this amazing run.

Oregonzagnut
04-22-2015, 08:53 PM

I have heard players and staff say to us in the stands and to all fans that we ARE part of the team. I went 7 years, graduated, and hope I can even give back a fraction of what Gonzaga gave me. I've used all the "personal pronouns" in any such Gonzaga circle I am in regardless of whether it is sports or not.

Would the Jesuits think the basketball team or Mark Few can't use the term "we" or "us" because they aren't the true and real original Zags? Luigi (St Aloysius) is the only real Zag if you want to get literal. But even he would be saddened by such sentiment. Are we really going to have this semantics thread again with more egocentric chest puffing statements with the gist of "I'm more of a true Zag than you are"? I'm a Zag, you're a Zag, we are Zags, wouldn't you like to be a Zag too? Take a class at Gonzaga, voila you are a Zag. Thats what Luigi and every single Jesuit will tell you. and I believe them.

GrizZAG
04-22-2015, 09:39 PM
If the only people that were students and grads of Gonzaga were able to be fans of the Basketball teams, it would be a pretty small percentage of what constitutes the current fan base I would speculate.

Gonzaga basketball is now a brand and like Kleenex and Kodak are public domain in my view.

Yes you are special "Real Zags", but the body of Fandom if you will, is an entity of itself as well. You are very lucky to have attended a school that just happens to have an incredible basketball program. What is truly amazing is the number of people who have been smitten with Gonzaga Basketball that graduated elsewhere. I like ZagGranny fly the colors constantly and yes have the license plate frame and all the rest. My most cherished sports memorabilia is my white Zag hat with Dan Dickau's signature on the bill.

Please allow us to be lurkers within your honored domain without minimizing recognition of our support. Thanks