PDA

View Full Version : Per SSF and Meehan Wiltjer is returning

LongIslandZagFan
04-20-2015, 09:05 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000658416383/098cbdf4ee2ea1d14ce006dd70cc2188_bigger.jpegJim Meehan ‏@SRJimm (https://twitter.com/SRJimm) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/590198540757905409)
Kyle Wiltjer has decided to return to Gonzaga, According to a GU source
Details (https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/590198540757905409)

DagsZags
04-20-2015, 09:06 AM
https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/590198540757905409

Jim Meehan @SRJimm · 5m 5 minutes ago

Kyle Wiltjer has decided to return to Gonzaga, According to a GU source

TheGonzagaFactor
04-20-2015, 09:09 AM
WAIT, so the famous, respected, trustworthy Robert Perry was WRONG?!?!?! NO WAY!!!

krozman
04-20-2015, 09:09 AM
Let next year's projections begin.

gonzagafan62
04-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Good now, we can focus on getting recruits. 4 schollies to fill. Go Zags!

LongIslandZagFan
04-20-2015, 09:13 AM
I thought we were told that all three bigs were as good as gone. Hmmmm....

gonzagafan62
04-20-2015, 09:15 AM
I thought we were told that all three bigs were as good as gone. Hmmmm....

:roll:

gotta love them LIZF ! ! ! !

Zagarooskis
04-20-2015, 09:33 AM
The sky has suddenly stopped falling!

hooter73
04-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Till I hear it from his mouth over a candlelit dinner with one hand on the bible its all speculation!

:)

Next year is going to be fun to watch.

77Zag
04-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Land the Drexel lad and we are a solid contender to go far in March.

Go Zags!!

john montana
04-20-2015, 09:45 AM
woo hoo!

webspinnre
04-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Fantastic. Time for another deep run!

sittingon50
04-20-2015, 10:04 AM
What a disappointment!!

:rolleyes:

Angelo Roncalli
04-20-2015, 10:14 AM
CBS Story...

Gonzaga forward Kyle Wiltjer has decided to return for his senior season, sources told CBSSports.com.

Wiltjer averaged 16.8 points and 6.2 rebounds on his way to becoming a consensus second-team All-American last season, as well as a first-team All-WCC member. He will be one of the preseason favorites for national player of the year next season, given that all five members of the first All-American team and four of the six members of the second All-American team will be playing professionally next season.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25156083/gonzaga-forward-kyle-wiltjer-returning-for-senior-season

DixieZag
04-20-2015, 10:15 AM
That sounds much better. Strange that GZ said something awfully similar not long ago. :)

Preseason rank = 7

Seed = 2 (In Spokane)

6 Months to perfect the 2-3 zone and get ready to beat teams 95-80. :)

gonzagafan62
04-20-2015, 10:17 AM
That sounds much better, interestingly, GZ said something awfully similar not long ago. :)

Preseason rank = 7

Seed = 2 (In Spokane)

6 Months to perfect the 2-3 zone and get ready to beat teams 95-80. :)

Ugh. Lol. True though. I just hope we can get someone that can play some defense. We know Emac, Draino, the Bigs, and Melson can ... Can we get that one or two extra players? Is it May yet?

Go !!! Zags !!!

Mr Vulture
04-20-2015, 10:20 AM
I'd say I am shocked they are all returning but I'd be a liar....this was something I thought was obvious from day one but then the speculation began..lol!

bartruff1
04-20-2015, 10:25 AM
I did not expect them to be back. That is a great deal for the school and I hope it works out for them. No one is promised tomorrow.

Angelo Roncalli
04-20-2015, 10:27 AM
CBS' writer picks Wiltjer for his POY next year:

Sam Vecenie @Sam_Vecenie · 26m 26 minutes ago
Wiltjer is probably my preseason pick for player of the year next year. Big, big news for the Zags.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie

cggonzaga
04-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Land the Drexel lad and we are a solid contender to go far in March.

I like our chances even without him.

Agreed Angelo. He needs a catchy moniker like Frank the Tank. Kyle the Pile? Kyle by the Mile? Kyle with lots of Style? Kyle don't turn that Dial?

gozagswoohoo
04-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Amazing. This is the best thing I've heard since my doctor said 'No, that's not a weird looking mole, it's a 3rd nipple."

Angelo Roncalli
04-20-2015, 11:02 AM
More from CBS on Kyle/Zags:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25156083/gonzaga-forward-kyle-wiltjer-returning-for-senior-season

LongIslandZagFan
04-20-2015, 11:03 AM
CBS Story...

The age thing was something I hadn't thought about... but still think he is better off doing what he did. If he was going to end up in Europe... Europe can wait.

scrooner
04-20-2015, 11:15 AM
I like our chances even without him.

Agreed Angelo. He needs a catchy moniker like Frank the Tank. Kyle the Pile? Kyle by the Mile? Kyle with lots of Style? Kyle don't turn that Dial?

Wiltjer the Stiltjer?

TheGonzagaFactor
04-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Wiltjer the Stiltjer?

I've been going with that... and using Kyledriver for Dranginis.

ZagsGoZags
04-20-2015, 11:47 AM
I feel a little bad for Ryan Edwards
he has done everything right, just like Kyle D.
I hope they get their rewards here on earth, soon,
as I am sure they will in heaven -- for being so dutiful to the zags

Although I hope we can recruit the best 3 we can get,
I hope and expect that will still be lots of PT for Kyle D.

rennis
04-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Great decision! Can't wait to see what KW does as a senior. 1st Team AA should be easily attainable.

jazzdelmar
04-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Preseason #7 for now, but with some head turning transfers some pundits will push the Zags waaaay higher. Look for Katz to tab them #1.....Being the #1 Wooden favorite gotta be better than running line drills in outer Monrovia.

hooter73
04-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Anyone trolled the other WCC boards yet to see the groaning? Makes me want to rewatch Kyles 45 points against Pacific.

Edwards will be fine. Besides seeing last year us needing another big (center - not Nunez) for foul issues, he is still a relative newbie and 15mpg will be a good break in for him to take over the reigns for his last two years as our main anchor.

CDC84
04-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Ryan Edwards will eventually get his chance. I still feel he's going to get more run than some people think next season. But by the time he reaches his junior year, he's going to be a huge part of the rotation.

coolhandzag
04-20-2015, 12:21 PM
That sounds much better. Strange that GZ said something awfully similar not long ago. :)

Among others. Love the Clemems quote.

LongIslandZagFan
04-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Anyone trolled the other WCC boards yet to see the groaning? Makes me want to rewatch Kyles 45 points against Pacific.

Edwards will be fine. Besides seeing last year us needing another big (center - not Nunez) for foul issues, he is still a relative newbie and 15mpg will be a good break in for him to take over the reigns for his last two years as our main anchor.

Nunez transfer is the only thing Zag related in DonsCentral last I checked.

gonzagafan62
04-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Ryan Edwards will eventually get his chance. I still feel he's going to get more run than some people think next season. But by the time he reaches his junior year, he's going to be a huge part of the rotation.

Yup. Even if Domas comes back for 2016, Edwards will be playing a lot. He kinda reminds me of Sam Dower, but with less minutes. We will see. Ryan is on track baby!

Zagceo
04-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Nunez transfer is the only thing Zag related in DonsCentral last I checked.

Transfer? All I heard was a trip to Tampa last week………..You hear more?

Angelo Roncalli
04-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Transfer? All I heard was a trip to Tampa last week………..You hear more?

Angel has committed to the University of South Florida per multiple sources.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/south-florida-lands-a-graduate-transfer-angel-nunez-from-gonzaga/

DixieZag
04-20-2015, 03:30 PM

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/south-florida-lands-a-graduate-transfer-angel-nunez-from-gonzaga/

I sure hope he does well. Every time I heard him interviewed and the two times I talked to him he was such a good guy. Quiet, humble, religious - he really deserves to have things go his way. He got buried behind a lot of talent.

GlacierZag
04-20-2015, 04:12 PM
I feel a little bad for Ryan Edwards
he has done everything right, just like Kyle D.
I hope they get their rewards here on earth, soon,
as I am sure they will in heaven -- for being so dutiful to the zags

Although I hope we can recruit the best 3 we can get,
I hope and expect that will still be lots of PT for Kyle D.

What in the world would ever prompt you to write that???? You do realize that Ryan hadn't really had any coaching prior to arriving at Gonzaga. He was extremely ill and recovering his freshman year.

Ryan Edwards is so far ahead of "schedule" it isn't funny. He will get minutes next year, then will have 2 years to excel at Gonzaga.

Feeling bad for Ryan? I don't understand that in the least.

SLOZag
04-20-2015, 04:20 PM
What in the world would ever prompt you to write that???? You do realize that Ryan hadn't really had any coaching prior to arriving at Gonzaga. He was extremely ill and recovering his freshman year.

Ryan Edwards is so far ahead of "schedule" it isn't funny. He will get minutes next year, then will have 2 years to excel at Gonzaga.

Feeling bad for Ryan? I don't understand that in the least.Two thumbs way up.

+1,000!!!

MDABE80
04-20-2015, 04:26 PM

No worries Glacier....... odd post. Maybe it came out wrong. We all have very high hopes for Mr Edwards. He'll be a huge asset. We know that.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-20-2015, 04:37 PM

He will be a solid rotation player for us during the upcoming season and a huge part of our success in the years to follow.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-20-2015, 04:38 PM

USF just picked up a very good player. I wish him the best of luck going forward.

DixieZag
04-20-2015, 05:11 PM

Me neither. From all reports he's well ahead of predictions coming in. He'll play quite a bit and I'll bet he will be in the hunt for the starting position his Junior year.

NotoriousZ
04-20-2015, 05:57 PM
I'd say I am shocked they are all returning but I'd be a liar....this was something I thought was obvious from day one but then the speculation began..lol!

I almost predicted this would happen in the other 9 page Wiltjer speculation thread, but my not-so-smart phone was not letting me post. The Wiltjer family testing the waters was the right thing to do, and to our delight they made the right decision to stay for his senior year. ;)

And I very much appreciated GoZags' input near the end of that thread saying his source(s) had all three bigs coming back. Thanks!

robertperryhere
04-20-2015, 06:42 PM
To anyone who doesn't know, I am the person who initially broke the news about Kyle Wiltjer leaving for the NBA Draft. That is obviously not true, as multiple media outlets have reported that he is staying at Gonzaga for his senior season. I broke that story because a trusted inside source (at the time) told me that Wiltjer was leaving for the NBA. Since the source never let me down in the past, I decided to tweet that information without fact-checking it. I later checked with my source, and learned that there was miscommunication. After talking with my source in detail, they then told me he was thinking about leaving, but nothing was official yet. I thought I could trust my source because they told me Karnowski was staying for his senior season a week ago. However, I learned the hard way that I cannot rely on one source, even if it is a trusted source. To everyone and anyone reading this, I sincerely apologize for my lack of ethical journalistic judgment with this whole situation. The mistake I made was stupid, and is one that I hope to learn from. I did not intend to create such a scene with the information I shared, so I am sorry for causing so much distress. Plenty of people have let me know about my mistake, and rightfully so. I hope to learn from this mistake and hope that I can regain your trust.

gonzagafan62
04-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks robert perry. I accept. Not all news is reported accurately. Now we know. We realize we move on. Go bulldogs!

Zaghuatanejo
04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
To anyone who doesn't know, I am the person who initially broke the news about Kyle Wiltjer leaving for the NBA Draft. That is obviously not true, as multiple media outlets have reported that he is staying at Gonzaga for his senior season. I broke that story because a trusted inside source (at the time) told me that Wiltjer was leaving for the NBA. Since the source never let me down in the past, I decided to tweet that information without fact-checking it. I later checked with my source, and learned that there was miscommunication. After talking with my source in detail, they then told me he was thinking about leaving, but nothing was official yet. I thought I could trust my source because they told me Karnowski was staying for his senior season a week ago. However, I learned the hard way that I cannot rely on one source, even if it is a trusted source. To everyone and anyone reading this, I sincerely apologize for my lack of ethical journalistic judgment with this whole situation. The mistake I made was stupid, and is one that I hope to learn from. I did not intend to create such a scene with the information I shared, so I am sorry for causing so much distress. Plenty of people have let me know about my mistake, and rightfully so. I hope to learn from this mistake and hope that I can regain your trust.

It is nice to still see some integrity in journalism and have someone admit he made a mistake. It takes some balls to come on here and do that. Thank you

DixieZag
04-20-2015, 07:20 PM

This is all you need to do to regain my trust. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone learns. Not everyone admits it, apologizes, explains, and shares how he/she will do better.

Nice job.

seacatfan
04-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Karnowski and now Wiltjer both coming back? What are we going to fret about now? Have to find something.

Hoopaholic
04-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Karnowski and now Wiltjer both coming back? What are we going to fret about now? Have to find something.

when does practice start.........................

sittingon50
04-20-2015, 08:02 PM

You're the 1st person that has ever whiffed on this board, robert (of course no one remembers when I took the Titanic in < 4 days).

amaronizag
04-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Robert Perry......speculation runs wild.....no need to apologize. Everyone is anxious to break a story hot off the wire, not all prove to be true. We love your posting of all GU games on UTube!!!!!!!!!!!! No mistake can ever diminish that contribution!!!!! Love what you offer!!!

GrizZAG
04-21-2015, 12:08 AM
I will sleep better now. RP thank you for holding yourself accountable. We are a forgiving lot you know. Or...should be :)

Birddog
04-21-2015, 03:43 AM
A couple points: referring to an internet forum scoop as "journalism" is a stretch, and this won't hurt your chances for getting a job as a scribe for"Rolling Stone".

Bogozags
04-21-2015, 04:05 AM
Am confused but not as much as the wife thinks...why are people saying that Ryan Edwards will be in the rotation this season and "maybe" have the opportunity for more time in 2016? KW and PK will be gone and if he stays healthy and progresses as most believe, why wouldn't he be the starting center for GU? Also, if Domas has another fine season this year, then he would likely be gone too! Which would make him the only returning big...

So why do many of you feel he may not be the starting Center in 2016?

Thank You.

DixieZag
04-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Am confused but not as much as the wife thinks...why are people saying that Ryan Edwards will be in the rotation this season and "maybe" have the opportunity for more time in 2016? KW and PK will be gone and if he stays healthy and progresses as most believe, why wouldn't he be the starting center for GU? Also, if Domas has another fine season this year, then he would likely be gone too! Which would make him the only returning big...

So why do many of you feel he may not be the starting Center in 2016?

Thank You.

None of us know for sure, of course. In my mind, the questions arise over whether Collins and maybe a Narain play basically a 2 fours, or Sabonis stays that third year. Regardless, no one knows for sure, including Few, and he will have a big opportunity to do so, no matter who comes.

CDC84
04-21-2015, 08:23 AM
More from Jim:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/apr/20/kyle-wiltjer-will-return-gonzaga-senior-season/

bballbeachbum
04-21-2015, 01:14 PM
yay

Oregonzagnut
04-21-2015, 05:48 PM

If only Bush and Obama could be so honest with their "misinformation", real HOPE would still be possible in this country. At least I have hope for one journalist and whatever media outlet he chooses to represent.

Thanks Robert, you are one of the few journalists or politicians who I might trust in the future.

ZagsGoZags
04-21-2015, 06:59 PM

Hi Glacier, sorry if I hit a nerve or something. Maybe you are family or friend with Ryan. I think my statement shows concern and respect for him, and is common sense. Nearly all D1 BB players like as much playing time as possible. If Kyle W. went to the pros, Ryan would see a huge jump in his PT for 2015-2016 season. I think it would be human nature to be disappointed if one was anticipating that playing time, then had to drop those expectations a tad. This does not mean he is not a team player, because I know he is. I am praising him for it. If he was not a bit disappointed, I am wrong. But if he was, I have reason to feel bad for him. I know I would have felt bad in his shoes.

Grant Gibbs, Spangler, and others have justifiably transferred to get more PT, and I am praising Ryan for his loyalty. I don't blame any of these kids put in this situation. Personally my own (BB uneducated) view of his minutes two years ago was that I was damn impressed and was surprised, I mean really surprised, he didn't get a ton of minutes then. I thought he was playing almost at the level of Karno. It don't see many others on the board who seem to think that. He has been in the program two years now with very few minutes. With all other factors equal, why wouldn't he, or any player, be happy to anticipate a big jump in minutes? Now that all 3 bigs are back, I am sure Ryan is really glad for the team for it means we will probably be a heck of a force against next season. It is my hope all 4 bigs will get about the same PT next season. Chill. No offense meant. I am all for Ryan.

Reborn
04-21-2015, 08:29 PM
One thing I know, and I'm sure Edwards knows it, is that when October 15 comes around Edwards will be ready and he will have an equal chance to show what he can do. Like every other player, he will have to earn his minutes. If he is as good as some of you believe he will play more minutes then Nunez did. He will also have a chance in early season games to show what how much he has improved. I certainly do not feel sorry for him. College basketball played at the level Gonzaga is playing at right now is highly competitive. Everyone, and I mean everyone, needs to earn their minutes. I believe Edwards will be in there banging with the best of them. I'm anxious to see how much he has improved. I never believed that Nunez deserved to play any more minutes then he played. I can hardly wait to see him play.

ZagsGoZags
04-22-2015, 08:50 AM
As usual I like Reborn's post, and happen to agree with all of it. Ryan should get no more minutes than merit dictates, as all other players, and I thought Angel got what his skill set allowed. Only thing is the phrase 'feel sorry.' We all speak the English language, but obviously my phrase 'feel bad for someone' is not getting through the way I intend it. When I played college tennis, I was recruited over by a scholarship to a great player from California. It bumped me down so I was no longer playing first doubles anymore. I was a good sport, I was glad it made my team stronger, he was a character guy, but one piece of that was I got less PT at #1 doubles and I felt bad about that one piece, but did not feel sorry for myself at all. Feeling sorry for somebody, I think is pity and places me above the sufferer. When I feel bad for Ryan and Kyle D. that is all I mean. It means the observer identifies with the person's loss. If we didn't have so many great players ahead of them they would start and get lots more minutes, something I am sure they would like, for its own sake. When they are mature, and put the team first, and understand, and stay loyal, I admire that, and because these two guys are character guys it all works. If their skill levels rise to elite levels, like with KO, it couldn't happen to more wonderful young men.

If we bring in a top 3, like Wesley was last season, Kyle D. will play all four years without ever being a regular starter, probably. Because he is team first, not pouting, complaining, whining, type of player, if he is recruited over all will be well and we won't hear a peep of complaint from him. If we are not able to recruit over him he will get more PT. If Kyle D. starts next year I will 'feel good' for him personally, because his duty and hard work put him there. For the sake of the team and program I hope we can bring in the best 3 in the land in the next few months. It would be a fact that Kyle's PT dropped. No D1 player likes that one piece, even when it proper and understandable.