PDA

View Full Version : OT, Zimmerman to UNLV.

jazzdelmar
04-17-2015, 03:34 PM
UNLV, where great prospects go to fail.

Five-star senior Stephen Zimmerman has decided to stay home for college, choosing UNLV over multiple blue-blood programs.

Zimmerman, a 7-footer out of Las Vegas' Bishop Gorman High, announced his decision on Twitter on Thursday night. His stepmother also confirmed it to ESPN.com.

Stephen Zimmerman is the fourth five-star recruit to commit to UNLV in the past four years. AP Photo/Gregory Payan
The No. 10-ranked prospect in the ESPN 100, Zimmerman picked the Rebels over Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA and Arizona. He took official visits to all five finalists in the fall and then took a step back from the process for the past couple of months.

Throughout his recruitment, UNLV made a strong push to keep him in the desert, selling him as the missing piece to a talented roster.

"It was where he felt the strongest bond with the coaches and players," Lori Stevens, Zimmerman's stepmother, told ESPN.com. "He's looking forward to carrying on his winning high school tradition at his hometown school."

If NBA prospect Christian Wood decides to return to the Rebels, he and Zimmerman will combine to form one of the most skilled frontcourt tandems in the country. Freshmen Goodluck Okonoboh and Dwayne Morgan, along with Oregon transfer Ben Carter, also are in the mix up front for UNLV.

Zimmerman joins a UNLV recruiting class that includes athletic forward Derrick Jones (No. 27) and three-star guard Jalen Poyser.

The Rebels also will have transfers Nigel Williams-Goss (Washington) and Ike Nwamu (Mercer) on campus this weekend.

seacatfan
04-17-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm still waiting for all these blue chippers to figure out Dave Rice is one of the worst coaches in D1 and that UNLV is going nowhere. He sure can recruit though. I think Mr. Rice is the clear current favorite to wear the title of coach who does the least with the most.

ZagaZags
04-17-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm still waiting for all these blue chippers to figure out Dave Rice is one of the worst coaches in D1 and that UNLV is going nowhere. He sure can recruit though. I think Mr. Rice is the clear current favorite to wear the title of coach who does the least with the most.

He stole the title from Lorenzo Romar?

gonzagafan62
04-17-2015, 07:39 PM

I was thinking the same exact thing. Exact thing.

Zagsker
04-17-2015, 08:37 PM
As a 21+ college athlete...Vegas is attractive

seacatfan
04-17-2015, 09:38 PM

I would say yes. I'm not sure that Rice has even won ONE Tourney game yet, and he's had plenty of talent. I've heard others give the title to Rick Barnes though. He's had a few deep runs in the Tourney, but he's had a ridiculous amount of talent at his disposal, including Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge. I know people love ripping on Romar on this site, but he built the Huskies from absolutely nothing into a contender in the Pac 10/12 in short order when he first arrived. Texas has always been a sleeping giant and had some decent years under Tom Penders before Barnes arrived. Lon Kruger had things rolling along nicely at UNLV and despite the talent influx since Rice took over, the on court performances are going downhill noticeably.

Zagdawg
04-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Maybe many of us may be a bit biased against Romar because he ran from the Zags and the annual beatdown at the bank while looking for a game that would provide him more "national exposure".

The facts show that Romar is an under achiever due to the number of NBA players (13) and top 25-30 recruiting classes he has had and he has missed the dance more (7x) than he has made the dance (6x) and next year is not looking good for them either. Currently on a 4 year streak of missing the dance and most likely will miss again next year.

He did take a bunch of benders recruits and get to the dance 3 of the first 4 years he was coaching ---but since then --with all of his recruits.....he has made it 3 of the last 9 times.

ZagMan in Philly
04-18-2015, 04:33 AM
Good that he turned down the bluebloods, if it didn't work out for him at UNLV...perhaps GU will be.

GoZags
04-18-2015, 06:50 AM
I would say yes. I'm not sure that Rice has even won ONE Tourney game yet, and he's had plenty of talent. I've heard others give the title to Rick Barnes though. He's had a few deep runs in the Tourney, but he's had a ridiculous amount of talent at his disposal, including Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge. I know people love ripping on Romar on this site, but he built the Huskies from absolutely nothing into a contender in the Pac 10/12 in short order when he first arrived. Texas has always been a sleeping giant and had some decent years under Tom Penders before Barnes arrived. Lon Kruger had things rolling along nicely at UNLV and despite the talent influx since Rice took over, the on court performances are going downhill noticeably.

The Huskies had missed the dance 3 straight years when Romar was hired. The year before the 3 year drought the Huskies made the dance and got Szczerbiak'd in the first round. The year prior they were a second away from the Elite Eight when the ball didn't bounce their way and UConn won the Sweet 16 game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSD3upfIVAw

So now Romar has missed the dance 4 STRAIGHT YEARS (and counting). And your position is it's only people on this site that are ripping the guy? Guess again.

seacatfan
04-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Good that he turned down the bluebloods, if it didn't work out for him at UNLV...perhaps GU will be.

He's a likely one-and-doner.

jazzdelmar
04-18-2015, 09:11 AM
He's a likely one-and-doner.

Isn't everyone? Wondering where all these less than blue chippers think they're gonna play.

seacatfan
04-18-2015, 09:13 AM
The Huskies had missed the dance 3 straight years when Romar was hired. The year before the 3 year drought the Huskies made the dance and got Szczerbiak'd in the first round. The year prior they were a second away from the Elite Eight when the ball didn't bounce their way and UConn won the Sweet 16 game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSD3upfIVAw

So now Romar has missed the dance 4 STRAIGHT YEARS (and counting). And your position is it's only people on this site that are ripping the guy? Guess again.

Romar probably should be let go at this point, I don't contend that. I did not say ripping on Romar is exclusive to this site. I don't visit every message board. I'm sure he has plenty of detractors among UW fans by now, but I don't visit their site. Really my only point is that Dave Rice is a terrible coach, worse than Romar, and I'll stand by that.

Just out of curiosity I looked at UW's Tournament history. They have a grand total of 16 berths, 6 of those have been under Romar. As noted Bender took them 98-99. Harshman made 3 straight from 84-86. Before that you have to go back to 1976, and then all the way back to the early 50's. If anything Romar is a bit of a victim of his own success, UW has never been remotely close to a program that makes annual visits to the Tourney. I don't know when the term "Sweet 16" was coined, I know the Tourney format has changed significantly over the years. Any way you slice it Romar has around half of the Sweet 16 appearances in school history. He might suck as a coach, but he's still done by far more than any other coach UW has ever had.

DixieZag
04-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Romar probably should be let go at this point, I don't contend that. I did not say ripping on Romar is exclusive to this site. I don't visit every message board. I'm sure he has plenty of detractors among UW fans by now, but I don't visit their site. Really my only point is that Dave Rice is a terrible coach, worse than Romar, and I'll stand by that.

Just out of curiosity I looked at UW's Tournament history. They have a grand total of 16 berths, 6 of those have been under Romar. As noted Bender took them 98-99. Harshman made 3 straight from 84-86. Before that you have to go back to 1976, and then all the way back to the early 50's. If anything Romar is a bit of a victim of his own success, UW has never been remotely close to a program that makes annual visits to the Tourney. I don't know when the term "Sweet 16" was coined, I know the Tourney format has changed significantly over the years. Any way you slice it Romar has around half of the Sweet 16 appearances in school history. He might suck as a coach, but he's still done by far more than any other coach UW has ever had.

Your points about the tournament are well taken. I guess part of the Romar mystery is more directed to how it is that a school with that much money, that well regarded, sitting squat in the middle of that much talent, has not performed even better, whether pre-Romar or under Romar.

In terms of ripping on Romar, you're going to see more of it here b/c, quite frankly, outside of WSU, which other program is even paying attention to what happens over there? Oregon couldn't care less, the Cal schools just see it as a bit longer road trip. But we have to deal with losing players to him, having had the ultimate diss in that we were beating him at a .900 clip and were told they wanted to schedule "national" (polite for 'better') which was so obviously a dodge and an arrogant one at that. It shouldn't be surprising that this would be the epicenter of all Romar criticism, fair or unfair.

We are the WA basketball alpha dog. For reasons based upon nothing in the physical world, they still believe they are - it engenders a special kind of animosity. I know you know all this. It just felt good to write it and maybe some others didn't know.

hooter73
04-18-2015, 10:14 AM
UW and UNLV have got to be on the short list for most underachieving programs to continually snow players into coming there.

seacatfan
04-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Fair enough Dixie. I definitely understood UW ending the series with GU as dodging, I didn't buy the rhetoric of pursuing a more national schedule. I can understand ongoing animosity. So much has changed since then, UW's fortunes have really gone downhill. I gotta think many of the arrogant UW fans fell hard off the bandwagon. Anybody sticking with the Huskies as this point has to be a true fan. As for why hasn't UW had more consistent success throughout their history...I don't even have an explanation for that.

CDC84
04-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Dave Rice = Ben Braun

gonzagabasketball
04-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Rick Barnes? His resume is startlingly similar to Mark Fews, and in a superior conference. This is not an admonishment of Few by any stretch, just that he in no way, shape, or form compares to Romar. In my opinion anyway.

seacatfan
04-18-2015, 05:22 PM
Rick Barnes? His resume is startlingly similar to Mark Fews, and in a superior conference. This is not an admonishment of Few by any stretch, just that he in no way, shape, or form compares to Romar. In my opinion anyway.

It's all relative. Texas has had a TON of talent pass through during Barnes' tenure, way more than Romar has had at UW or Few has had at GU. There's no debating that Barnes underachieved given the talent he's had. It's just a matter to what degree of underachieving. To me it's quite significant. Texas is one of the most talent rich states in the country and a bunch of those kids grow up dreaming of playing for the 'Horns, the school recruits itself. I would say the fact that Kansas wins the Big 12 EVERY year is a fairly big indictment against Barnes, there are years he had a clearly more talented team but could never get past the Jayhawks.

willandi
04-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Not just the dodging, don't forget the announcing a proposal to play 2 games at the neutral site of Key Arena, w/o talking to GU apparently, and then UW acting miffed when Few made his "when Bigfoot has his baby" remark. Romar and the UW AD showed themselves to be disingenuis and totally classless.

gonzagabasketball
04-18-2015, 05:42 PM
It's all relative. Texas has had a TON of talent pass through during Barnes' tenure, way more than Romar has had at UW or Few has had at GU. There's no debating that Barnes underachieved given the talent he's had. It's just a matter to what degree of underachieving. To me it's quite significant. Texas is one of the most talent rich states in the country and a bunch of those kids grow up dreaming of playing for the 'Horns, the school recruits itself. I would say the fact that Kansas wins the Big 12 EVERY year is a fairly big indictment against Barnes, there are years he had a clearly more talented team but could never get past the Jayhawks.

Fair enough. Except that Barnes has actual achievements, Romar much less so. And the University of Washington recruits itself in Seattle every bit as much as UT does in Texas, Romars problem is not a lack of talent. Barnes had two NPOYs, 400+ wins, multiple conference titles, 2 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s, and a final 4. Hardly underachieving. And in that time frame, Kansas under Bill Self was better, I wont argue that. But Texas had zero advantages over Kansas during his tenure and if playing second fiddle to perhaps one of the top two or three programs of all time, playing at near their peak, is under achieving? Well, hopefully GU underachieves to the same degree going forward.

But semantics aside, youre correct, its all relative.

seacatfan
04-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Fair enough. Except that Barnes has actual achievements, Romar much less so. And the University of Washington recruits itself in Seattle every bit as much as UT does in Texas, Romars problem is not a lack of talent. Barnes had two NPOYs, 400+ wins, multiple conference titles, 2 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s, and a final 4. Hardly underachieving. And in that time frame, Kansas under Bill Self was better, I wont argue that. But Texas had zero advantages over Kansas during his tenure and if playing second fiddle to perhaps one of the top two or three programs of all time, playing at near their peak, is under achieving? Well, hopefully GU underachieves to the same degree going forward.

But semantics aside, youre correct, its all relative.

Well clearly we don't really agree. Barnes has accomplished more than Romar, true, but he's had much better players and much better teams overall, he very well should've done more. Doesn't mean he's done as much as he should have. I looked it up, Barnes has 1 outright conference title and shared it 2 other times. Romar has 2 outright conference titles, and Barnes started at Texas 4 years before Romar at UW, so that's practically a wash.

No advantages over KU? Other than a nicer city, deeper pockets, better campus, better in state talent, better football program (which for some strange reason actually matters to some recruits)...yeah, no advantages. Really the only thing KU has over Texas is it's hoops tradition and the mystique of Allen Fieldhouse. And better coaching of course.

Zagdawg
04-18-2015, 11:05 PM
I believe one of romars two conference titles was a year that they missed the dance because the pac was so down the tourney committee felt the winner of the conference title was not even worth giving an at large.