PDA

View Full Version : Karnowski returning

VinnyZag
04-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Via Twitter just now:

Przemek Karnowski @PKarnowski
After talking with my family and coaches, I'm happy to say that I'm staying at Gonzaga for my senior year. #UnitedWeZag #LetsDoThis

jazzdelmar
04-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Praise the lord. One to go. Keep the band together.

Radbooks
04-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Yay! One down, one to go! :)

kclubfounder
04-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Now that's a GREAT way to go into a weekend!

Dogtownkid
04-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Yeah! Glad to hear that.

phxfireflames
04-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Awesome!

hooter73
04-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Let the cardio...begin!
:)

Good move and I'm happy to hear it

ZagsGoZags
04-17-2015, 03:26 PM
I feel like Paul Revere telling my friends the news ...

Reborn
04-17-2015, 03:37 PM
GEEZE! I'm REALLY surprised......just being sarcastic. I mean is ANYONE surprised? Such a big deal was made of this. But when there's no news then I guess it's good to invent some stories. Sure got some people here riled up. hahaha

jazzdelmar
04-17-2015, 03:39 PM
GEEZE! I'm REALLY surprised......just being sarcastic. I mean is ANYONE surprised? Such a big deal was made of this. But when there's no news then I guess it's good to invent some stories. Sure got some people here riled up. hahaha

Bornie. Based on his desire to make a statement I would say, yes, there was some reason to think he would bolt. I do like his choice of words, however.

NotoriousZ
04-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Excellent! Loving this!!

Birddog
04-17-2015, 04:04 PM
I feel like Paul Revere telling my friends the news ...

You might like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4rIFc3JVA

TerpZag
04-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Karnowski Returning for Senior Season

SPOKANE, Wash. – Junior center Przemek Karnowski announced today that he has decided to return for his senior season with the Gonzaga men’s basketball team.

“After talking with my family and the coaching staff, I decided what’s best for me is to stay at Gonzaga for my senior season,” Karnowski said. "I decided I didn’t want to pass up my last opportunity to play with these guys at GU. My coaches, teammates and the whole community have been so supportive over my three years, and I’m excited to come back for one more. I love Gonzaga, and we still have a lot left to accomplish.”...

Gonzaga Article Link (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=210030210)

VaBeachZAG
04-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Gonzaga Article Link (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=210030210)

I always loved the fact that Turiaf said there was no way he was leaving his team mates for a early departure to the NBA. That was one of the reasons I thought so highly of him. Now, I can add PK to that list of very very special Zags.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-17-2015, 04:59 PM
http://data3.whicdn.com/images/110756952/original.png

ZagaZags
04-17-2015, 05:01 PM
Now we need to wait out Captain Solo's announcement.

http://techmash.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/chewbacca_w_han_solo_anh.jpg

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Now we need to wait out Captain Solo's announcement.]

He's coming back.

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/40/12/b11be4e2f03dbe3918e8644c7ca80cd7-star-wars-han-solo.jpg

Baseline
04-17-2015, 05:28 PM
My suspicious nature thinks this might have been a ploy to get Few to commit to more Tacos as the training table. That's my guess!

MTZag03
04-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Happy news. He's been my favorite zag to root for these last three years.

john montana
04-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Woo hoo!

DixieZag
04-17-2015, 07:25 PM
My suspicious nature thinks this might have been a ploy to get Few to commit to more Tacos as the training table. That's my guess!

That would be an NCAA violation.....somehow.

Football players in the SEC driving Escalades, but too fancy a buffet and it's busted.

Well, we're one half the way to a pre-season top 10, cough* - six, ranking.

madness
04-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Awesome News!!! Let SHEM eat!4

Zagsker
04-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Hellzzzzzz yeah!

Tight team dynamics make these things happen

Zagdawg
04-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Made my weekend.

Go Zags!

Zagdawg
04-17-2015, 08:39 PM
http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2015/apr/17/przemek-karnowski-will-return-gonzaga-senior-seaso/

RenoZag
04-17-2015, 09:38 PM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x375/RenoZag/Karnowski_zpseycmy8dc.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/RenoZag/media/Karnowski_zpseycmy8dc.jpg.html)

I hope we get to see him on the post-game NCAA interview circuit again next March. . .

Very happy to read this news.

MickMick
04-17-2015, 10:11 PM
He certainly has improved over his career and I don't think he will hit a wall any time soon. I expect he will earn some good money at this before he is done.

tyra
04-18-2015, 02:33 AM
I was much more worried that Shem might have become more homesick over time and was truly considering playing in Europe than I am that Kyle won't come back. (He will.) This is good news. Now let's find a transfer or two to use up some of our four schollies available.

Oregonzagnut
04-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Shem sees the obvious and it is the same argument I use for Wiltjer voicing the "possibility" of entering the draft. It is important to gauge ones value and to at least hear what everyone's opinion is. The only problem with using social media, or any media for that matter, is that rumors and naysayers can become nasty. But these guys don't exactly have self esteem issues and the majority of criticism is constructive, so I am surprised Domas didn't admit the "possibility" either. He clearly has the upside potential that NBA GMs and coaches drool over.

People go to college to get better jobs. Show me one computer science major or electrical engineer who wouldn't leave college early if Apple or MicroSoft offered them a 250K salary. Yet we seem to disparage athletes who leave early on that same salary to play overseas? Heck, I'd say 9 out of 10 students would leave college early and accept ANY JOB offer that paid 6 figures starting out let alone a job in their major.

Reborn
04-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Kyle Wiltjer is interested in playing in the NBA and will. He is just feeling the water. That's all. He is a smart person, imo. He knows he will get a much better offer next year if he plays in the NCAA. He's second team All American this year, and will hopefully be first team next year. Who knows, he could end up player of the year. He came close this year.

So I have not engaged much on believing he is leaving this year. Why would he?

raise the zag
04-18-2015, 08:28 AM
2-4-1 more year!

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/272/files/2015/03/przemek-karnowski-kyle-wiltjer-ncaa-basketball-ncaa-tournament-south-regional-ucla-vs-gonzaga-850x560.jpg

Jstock12
04-18-2015, 11:18 AM
Welcome back Shem. Now, please trim down to 270lbs and get that body fat % to below 10%! :)

Birddog
04-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Welcome back Shem. Now, please trim down to 270lbs and get that body fat % to below 10%! :)

That would probably impress a few GM's.

Jstock12
04-18-2015, 11:44 AM
That would probably impress a few GM's.

Yep. That would significantly increase his mobility on D and ability to defend PnR on NBA level. 270lbs would be more than sufficient to push guys around in the NBA.

DixieZag
04-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Yep. That would significantly increase his mobility on D and ability to defend PnR on NBA level. 270lbs would be more than sufficient to push guys around in the NBA.

Seems a little weird that that has not been a huge priority to the point they make it virtually impossible to put on weight through the season. Dunno, some people are just genetically wired differently and it is very hard to keep off.

He most certainly did come in last season in much better shape physically last year, and thought he improved throughout the year generally, I like to think it could have been even more impressive had he stayed far lighter on his feet.

Jstock12
04-19-2015, 05:12 AM
Seems a little weird that that has not been a huge priority to the point they make it virtually impossible to put on weight through the season. Dunno, some people are just genetically wired differently and it is very hard to keep off.

He most certainly did come in last season in much better shape physically last year, and thought he improved throughout the year generally, I like to think it could have been even more impressive had he stayed far lighter on his feet.

Yep.

Marc Gasol was also predisposed to being overweight since his teen years:

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/04/marc-gasol-high-school-3.jpg

And while he has trimmed down when he got into NBA, this last year he got into an even better shape and has had his best season yet:

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/marc_gasol_2013_04_13.jpg

Mind over matter!

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Shem sees the obvious and it is the same argument I use for Wiltjer voicing the "possibility" of entering the draft. It is important to gauge ones value and to at least hear what everyone's opinion is. The only problem with using social media, or any media for that matter, is that rumors and naysayers can become nasty. But these guys don't exactly have self esteem issues and the majority of criticism is constructive, so I am surprised Domas didn't admit the "possibility" either. He clearly has the upside potential that NBA GMs and coaches drool over.

People go to college to get better jobs. Show me one computer science major or electrical engineer who wouldn't leave college early if Apple or MicroSoft offered them a 250K salary. Yet we seem to disparage athletes who leave early on that same salary to play overseas? Heck, I'd say 9 out of 10 students would leave college early and accept ANY JOB offer that paid 6 figures starting out let alone a job in their major.

Thanks, Oregonzagnut..this is precisely what I tell all my friends/family who have a knee-jerk negative reaction and judgment toward the news of any athlete who leaves college early to play professionally. The fact is, nowadays an undergraduate degree is no guarantee of lifelong employment or a 'ticket out of poverty' as it has been in generations past. Heck, I know plenty of folks with graduate degrees who are chronically underemployed.

If I was an English major and the N.Y. Times offered me a six figure salary to leave school early and work for them as a reporter, it'd be a no brainer.

ZagsObserver
04-19-2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks, Oregonzagnut..this is precisely what I tell all my friends/family who have a knee-jerk negative reaction and judgment toward the news of any athlete who leaves college early to play professionally. The fact is, nowadays an undergraduate degree is no guarantee of lifelong employment or a 'ticket out of poverty' as it has been in generations past. Heck, I know plenty of folks with graduate degrees who are chronically underemployed.

If I was an English major and the N.Y. Times offered me a six figure salary to leave school early and work for them as a reporter, it'd be a no brainer.

I don't think disparage is the right word, so much as think the athlete is making the wrong decision. The difference in your analogy is that the offer you mention above is probably the best offer you would get regardless of whether you stayed another year. In the case of a couple of these guys, they could triple or quadruple their value by improving certain facets of their game. In either case, as fans we should support their decisions and cheer them on in their endeavors

gonzagafan62
04-19-2015, 07:57 AM
I don't think disparage is the right word, so much as think the athlete is making the wrong decision. The difference in your analogy is that the offer you mention above is probably the best offer you would get regardless of whether you stayed another year. In the case of a couple of these guys, they could triple or quadruple their value by improving certain facets of their game. In either case, as fans we should support their decisions and cheer them on in their endeavors

See this is what y'all are missing. Read this post. Thanks

amaronizag
04-19-2015, 08:57 AM
It's true that an undergrad degree is no guarantee of lifelong employment nor is it a ticket out of poverty, but it dramatically increases your odds of lifelong employment and living out of poverty. A pro contract comes with no guarantees against career ending injuries, or inability to play at the level required to hold your position. In academics, it's mind over matter and sheer determination is 99% of what it takes to succeed in most fields. It's true that (like pro basketball) some fields are more rigorous and there is fierce competition for jobs, but in most instances, the degree and a good work ethic is enough to succeed. True, the retired baller can always go back to school and pursue a career later, but don't think for a minute age is not a factor in that equation either. That's one of the many reasons I'm against telling Freshman they can't be starters on the team, an idea being kicked around now. Yes it might help more of them get up to speed academically, but why punish them for being young? It's just as unfair as punishing them for being old.

With the exception of the few freshmen talented enough to make a big splash in the pros at age 19 or 20, it's always best to get that degree, enjoy the college life, and worry about a career when you're done. Why mess with the current system, it isn't broke. I suspect the graduation rate among college athletes may be higher than among non-athletes. Just a guess.

seacatfan
04-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Yep.

Marc Gasol was also predisposed to being overweight since his teen years:

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/04/marc-gasol-high-school-3.jpg

And while he has trimmed down when he got into NBA, this last year he got into an even better shape and has had his best season yet:

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/marc_gasol_2013_04_13.jpg

Mind over matter!

That makes me think of Kevin Love. He was pudgy throughout high school. Slimmed down a bit during his 1 year at UCLA, but still kinda soft. Since he's been in the NBA he has completely transformed his body, he's much sleeker and more athletic, really a different player, reinvented himself. It's not easy but it's possible.

DixieZag
04-19-2015, 12:04 PM
I hope he sheds even more off this summer and then they monitor it more closely during the year. It will really help his play and it will impress pro scouts.

75Zag
04-19-2015, 12:11 PM
No disrespect to anyone, but based upon vertical leap and speed I am very doubtful that Karno has a future in the NBA, but I cannot imagine why he would not want to enjoy another fantastic year in Spokane (especially if he has a girlfriend who is still there). Stay in Spokane, make some connections in Washington State and Oregon State and elsewhere, and then choose your path, which may be to return to Poland to play ball or might be something else. I would be happy to buy my next Mercedes 500SL from the Big Pole.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagdawg
04-19-2015, 02:19 PM
No disrespect on some of our posters--- the same was said about D Stockton ----sometimes your just wrong. Only time will tell.

Sometimes the only thing standing in our players way is themselves.... some just need the motivation to put in the extra work to go the extra mile--- Kelly is a great example--he put in the work and he reaped the rewards.

Karno has the ability to get there--he just needs to put his mind to it.

Go Zags

TexasZagFan
04-19-2015, 03:20 PM
He certainly has improved over his career and I don't think he will hit a wall any time soon. I expect he will earn some good money at this before he is done.

When Karno hits the wall, I'm putting my money on Karno.

ZagsObserver
04-19-2015, 03:52 PM
When Karno hits the wall, I'm putting my money on Karno.

Karnowski has legit shot at the nba. If his quickness and vertical improved he would be a first rounder. In either case, he will be a very good pro somewhere. Lucky to have him at GU

zagsfanforlife
04-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Count me in as one who think Karno can be a first rounder after his senior year. The dude is MASSIVE. NBA, College, Europe. There just arent guys that are that big around. If he can get his body sculpted more, which I dont think can be a huge dilemma, and improve his quickness just a little bit, the guy is HUGE, has a soft touch, is a great passer and is left handed. IF i am him, i spend a lot of time in Spokane this offseason just working on my body.

jazzdelmar
04-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Not sure where or for how long Karno will play for pay, but I would assume that afterwards he has higher aspirations than hawking automobiles, not that there's anything wrong that. Pretty self congratulatory and condescending comment, 75.

Zagceo
04-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Count me in as one who think Karno can be a first rounder after his senior year. The dude is MASSIVE. NBA, College, Europe. There just arent guys that are that big around. If he can get his body sculpted more, which I dont think can be a huge dilemma, and improve his quickness just a little bit, the guy is HUGE, has a soft touch, is a great passer and is left handed. IF i am him, i spend a lot of time in Spokane this offseason just working on my body.

You're correct but this is one big dude that will probably come out next year with PK.

I would love to see a game with Irvine in the Kennel.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Mamadou_50_zpsb3soiulq.gif

gonzagafan62
04-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Mammado Enjeye (I know I butchered the entire spelling of that name.) I am sorry, but at work, where they have blocked mostly everything but this board, lol.

Zaga
04-20-2015, 10:19 AM

Bulls eye ~

Mr Vulture
04-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Not bullseye...not even close. First off, a professional athlete is not even an apples to apples comparison. Of course, if a kid was given 5x times the going rate for their profession they would leave...but that doesn't happen. Additionally, we are talking about hundreds of thousands, or even millions, if these kids make the right or wrong decision. The point has never been that a guy shouldn't go pro early if he is guaranteed the money. The point is that if there is no guarantee, then why go and risk future potential earnings? Essentially, it's like completing a degree for a regular student...its just that it's a degree in basketball so to speak.

Bulls eye ~

DixieZag
04-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Not sure where or for how long Karno will play for pay, but I would assume that afterwards he has higher aspirations than hawking automobiles, not that there's anything wrong that. Pretty self congratulatory and condescending comment, 75.

Agree 100%. And, each comment from "some" will contain at least one reference to his own wealth.

And, for those (not Jazz) who talk about "every college student goes to college to have good job prospects..." and all that. That's very true. None of us would argue differently. The actual argument is between coming out one season and getting a contract for $100,000 or waiting a year and getting one for $300,000. It's always speculative, but if one chooses right, the extra college year results in having $100,000 more in the bank at the end (possibly more), an extra year of $50,000 in tuition and such, and likely a degree. It is not an easy choice, for sure, but even if one limits it purely to money, it's still not obvious which results in more money.

bballbeachbum
04-21-2015, 01:14 PM
yay II

75Zag
04-21-2015, 04:59 PM
My apology for what I intended to be a light-hearted post but which has apparently branded me as a bad guy. Fact #1 - I drive a 2002 Honda Accord. The Lovely Mrs. '75 drives a very fancy car, but that is because her parents were rich and left her a lot of money when they died. Fact #2 - some of my wealthiest clients own car dealerships and I was not intending to suggest Karno become a car salesman, I was suggesting he become a car dealer. I think Karl Malone has several dealerships. The theme of my original post was that Karno should stay in Spokane for 1 more year as a BB player and then consider staying there permanently as a great city to live in.

I guess I am losing my sarcastic / clever touch at posting.

Go Bulldogs!

A to Zags
04-21-2015, 05:43 PM
My apology for what I intended to be a light-hearted post but which has apparently branded me as a bad guy. Fact #1 - I drive a 2002 Honda Accord. The Lovely Mrs. '75 drives a very fancy car, but that is because her parents were rich and left her a lot of money when they died. Fact #2 - some of my wealthiest clients own car dealerships and I was not intending to suggest Karno become a car salesman, I was suggesting he become a car dealer. I think Karl Malone has several dealerships. The theme of my original post was that Karno should stay in Spokane for 1 more year as a BB player and then consider staying there permanently as a great city to live in.

Go Bulldogs!
You didn't lose your touch on me 75 Z. I love your posts and take them as intended. You are a great Zag, keep it up.

Bkzag
04-22-2015, 09:44 AM

Go Bulldogs!

Heck, it's only Tuesday...you got the rest of the week to regain your touch!